PDA

View Full Version : The Tudors

IDiivil
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
... has anyone seen it? I want to discuss it!

My opinion:
If one doesn't know the actual story of Henry the VIII, I find that it's a pretty good television series. Unfortunately for myself, I /do/ know it, and there are a LOT of inconsistencies. Still, that's to be expected, as a show needs its ratings.

Nevertheless: I loved it for what it was, enjoyed all the delicious political intrigue and tactics, and loved, loved, LOVED Cromwell - especially that last move he pulled in season 2. Picture below <3

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/galleries/tudors-series-three/13/mainImage.jpg

... so yeah - your thoughts on it? Favorite scenes? Favorite characters?

Edit: I just realized how much of a towards-girls this show is. No one here has probably watched it >_> Blargh.

texameradian
02-03-2011, 02:30 AM
I just finished the second season a few days ago. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Yes it does stray away from history. However, Showtime didn't commission creator-executive producer Michael Hirst to write a historically accurate drama. It would be boring. Not to mention they wouldn't have casted someone like Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.

rekikire
02-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Yes they would have needed to cast someone much fatter. It was somewhat historically accurate, so people who don't know the history would at least have an understanding now of the political intrigue that was occuring during this time.

IDiivil
02-03-2011, 05:15 AM
@texameradian (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=254537)
Well, I think I kind of covered what you said in the "a show does need its ratings" statement. I'm well aware they would have had to juice it up, but in some areas, it was highly unnecessary. Henry the VIII's sister, for example, never had anything to do with Charles Brandon, and that entire bit really made no real impact on the entire show.

texameradian
02-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Yes he did. Henry VIII's sister Mary was his wife. He remarried shortly thereafter. The character in the show was a mesh of two of Henry's sisters: Mary & Margaret. Margaret was married to the King James IV of the Scots. Mary before her marriage to Charles Brandon she was married to the King of France not the King of Portugal.

IDiivil
02-03-2011, 05:41 AM
... This is much easier to summarize my point:
http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/The+Tudors+Historical+Inaccuracies+Season+1

Lots of pointless inaccuracies. Been a while since I checked them up, so my apologies on the mix up of Mary/Margaret. It's been over a year since I saw season 1.

I feel like my original point for making this thread has been derailed. We never discussed character and scene favorites. My statement that the inaccuracies were disappointing but nevertheless necessary to maintain entertainment kind of hijacked things.

texameradian
02-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Well I am not hijacking the thread. We are discussing the show and analyzing the historical inaccuracies of the show. You asked us on our thoughts on the show.

IDiivil
02-03-2011, 05:46 AM
... I said I hijacked it with my own statement. It's obvious now for myself, in hindsight, that it would have caused discussion. I did not say /you/ did specifically.

Auburok
02-03-2011, 05:47 AM
I love how everyone only wants to discuss what you pointed out, not what you asked for opinions on.

texameradian
02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
And I love how you haven't contributed anything to the discussion, Auborok. I really want to see this thread being successful. I think my favourite scene was Anne Boleyn's beheading. It was powerful but I also really enjoyed Henry VIII's despair regarding the death of his friend and mentor Thomas More.

I don't think I have a favourite character. However, I did enjoy Catherine of Aragon's role in the first two seasons.

IDiivil
02-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Anne Boleyn's beheading almost brought me to tears. Her speech was nowhere near as powerful as Thomas More's ("The King's good servant, but God's first"), but the reminiscing she did before her death of herself as a child was ... very heart-warming. I found her as a character to also be easily related to, also - probably why I had such a reaction upon her death. I actually felt bad for her when, in the beginning of the series in season 1, I hated her for what she was doing (or rather, what Henry was doing) to Catherine of Aragon.

Auburok
02-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Auborok.

Ughh. At least spell my name right, Texameradian. Nice save, considering lack of contribution before; the argument would have required no such retort had it been too hypocritical.

In the few episodes I've seen the show has come off as a soap opera with rewritten roles for historical figures. They could have just as easily recast this role with some random "Baron of Middle Of Nowhere" considering such changes in history. At least they kept the whole Church of England debacle. While I can respect original writing, artistic creativity just dumbs down viewers whom had no knowledge of Henry VIII before that are gullible (and most are) enough to think this is all historically accurate.

This I find more entertaining and more accurate, without all the mental masturbation go-nowhere side stories:
YouTube - HORRIBLE HISTORIES - The Wives of Henry VIII (Terrible Tudors)

IDiivil
02-03-2011, 06:04 AM
... yeah, I think Auburok about summed up my negative reaction towards the Tudors. The difference is that I just sometimes enjoy my occasional soap operas x3

littlemissymoo
02-04-2011, 04:07 PM
First off I LOVE The Tudors, I know it has alot of historical errors in it but they have always said it's not a historical piece. It's based and most of it's true but aspects where changed to make it more easy for the viewer to watch as as Henry's sister being called Margaret (when she was really Mary) so that the viewer does not get confused about her and his daughter Mary.

I totally fell in love with Anne B. The way that Natalie Dormer played her was amazing and totally felt for her and she played her with such depth compared to others who have played her.

littlemissymoo
03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Can't believe it's all over on Sat :(

I already have my boxset but still!