PDA

View Full Version : Feelings? I will tell you my feelings about this one.

UCB Disco
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
To Whom This Applies To:

I am a gamer soon to be in my 30's, and I have been enjoying the evolution of games since I was a very, very young child and was graced with an NES. One of my first games was Bionic Commando, and although it was an imperfect game, there was something about it that was mystical, memorable, and downright fun to play!

Two and a half years ago, CAPCOM and GRIN decided to reboot the franchise and recreate the original for a modern audience. Thus we were graced with Bionic Commando: Rearmed, one of the best game updates in history. It was awesome in just about every fashion! It still had that difficulty to it that was so mythical before, but this time around, it felt more fluid. Much more playable. It felt like the game the original should have been! Graphically, it was gorgeous. Gameplay was fantastic! Even the unexpected co-op was a nice addition. But the best addition to the franchise was the unbelievably well-balanced competitive multiplayer, particularly the game mode Don't Touch The Floor, in which players had to try and knock their opponents to the floor of the map. Everything about Bionic Commando: Rearmed was wonderful, even the hella hard Challenges. The package was full, the price was justified, and it is honestly one of the best games on the XBLA.

Now, let's talk about Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2.

I had the highest expectations for this game, considering how superb and stellar the last one was. There is no way CAPCOM and GRIN could fail! This could only get better, right? Right?!

No. H to the E to the LL NO!

The gameplay mechanics have been altered, and altered TERRIBLY. Controlling the bionic arm is a pain. The fluidity has been completely shot, and it makes doing the Challenges a pain in the a$$. And jumping? JUMPING?! Am I smoking crack here? The #1 thing that kept Bionic Commando separate from other side-scrollers was the lack of a jump button to emphasize the bionic arm and swinging. Jumping isn't just terrible in itself, it ruins the core gameplay as well. It doesn't feel natural. It genuinely feels a bit forced and unneeded.

I've played through a couple levels now, and I honestly don't want to play anymore. I even played through the first chapter in local co-op, and even THAT sucks. How could they ruin something that actually worked so well in the first one? And not only that, but they've completely cut competitive multiplayer out of the game entirely. Are you kidding me?! I was at least expecting it to return, wishing it would be available to play online, but no. In this day and age, games that advertise multiplayer should definitely offer it online. Local is nice, but online on Xbox LIVE of all things is what sells a lot of games.

So let's go through the changes here:

CONS
- Jumping has been added, and it's not good.
- Controls have been completely changed, and it's not good.
- Co-op is still local only, and that's not good (On top of the fact that it's not very good this time around).
- Challenge Rooms are insanely difficult because of the new and terrible controls, and that's not good.
- Competitive Multiplayer has been scrapped entirely, and that was a terrible, terrible, terrible decision.
- It costs 1200MSP for a not-so-good single player experience.

PROS
- Nathan "Rad" Spencer now has a "Rad" mustache.
- Scanning objects and boss enemies is actual a nice touch for learning what things are, even though most of it is pretty self-explanatory.
- Upgrade Menu is very nice for customizing your character real quickly.
- Graphics and music, once again, are absolutely wonderful.

There you have it, kids. Purchase at your own risk. If you really love Nathan Spencer, go ahead and 'jump' on the game, but coming from someone who truly loves the original and Rearmed, I highly advise not purchasing this until it it less than 800MSP. That's my honest opinion. It's just not even remotely close to worth 1200MSP when you can get Rearmed for 800MSP and it has WAY more content.

The End.

EDIT FOR AFTER FINISHING CAMPAIGN AND CHALLENGES:

After finishing the campaign and challenges, most of my original opinion still applies. The story felt short, repetitive, and at times, rather boring. The only fight I genuinely enjoyed, even though it was still just TOO rhythmic, was Brubacker. Every other boss was pretty much the same ol' washed up boss. After defeating Brubacker, I almost thought I was going to fight GORILLA again, and if I did, I was going to hang up my shoes. Fighting the same boss twice is one thing, but fighting the same boss thrice is just ridiculous.

I'm currently collecting collecting all the powerups and Yashichis, and just like last time, this is still a lot of fun. Some are hidden really well, so it's kind of nice to be challenged in that.

The Challenges, I thought, were terribly lame and boring. Maybe it was the lack of a timer that caused no stress during any of the challenges that made this "challenging" experience less challenging, or maybe it was just simply the fact that the Challenges were WAY less challenging than the first game. Even after finishing the mild 24 Challenges, I felt like, "That's it?" Seriously. Not a single one took more than 5 tries.

Overall, I still did enjoy the experience (Hopefully I can find a friend that wants to play the campaign in co-op), but I won't be going back to it like I do with the first one. The lack of challenge and true difficulty kind of kills the experience for me. Again, it was fun, but just nothing remotely close to Rearmed 1.

After having played, I rate the two as follows:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed = 10/10
Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 = 6.5/10

Natanji
02-02-2011, 06:43 PM
While I agree that not being able to jump was a wonderful mechanic, it had also served as a major turn-off for most players I know. Trying to get any of my friends to play it coop in the first one was impossible because they wouldn't pass the first level. Sure, if you're used to it, it's rad. But most players are not, and I don't think it's bad making the game more accessible.

That having been said, I don't get your problem. Jumping is completely optional, you don't need it one bit (well, except in some challenges, but there it just adds to the possibilities I think). The game even rewards you with an achievement to complete it without jumping. I wish they would have enabled an option to turn off jumping though, there's nothing worse than accidentally jumping at the end of a level... :( But that's really my only point of criticism. I see it like you: jumping destroys the game, kinda. But that's why I just don't use it!

Also, I don't really see that the controls are that different. You have more possibilities now, some of which (e.g. start swinging again from hanging position) are very useful and go well with the game. It felt wrong to not have them in the first one, but I got used to it.

I can really just recommend the game to anyone. It's a step-up for the first one, if you are willing to accept some changes. I do, and I'm having a wonderful time. I love re-exploring levels with new weapons and gear, and BC:RA2 manages that beautifully.

velho lobodomar
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
at first, i thought that the gameplay was worse than the predecessor, but i am slowly getting used to it. itīs not really worse, itīs just different. the fact that you can start swinging from any stance kind of makes the gameplay actually easier.

one other thing that i was worried was the ability to jump, but the jumping is so horrid that it is almost useless, unless you need to get a little extra height to start swinging with your arm.

i also recommend this game to anyone who can cope up with some changes, great game so far.

Darth Cuda
02-02-2011, 11:26 PM
FYI using shotgun on re armed would get you swinging. I mostly agree with ops gripes but I still like the game. I disagree with the masses however, the mustache is stupid I can't figure out why ppl seem to like it.

BigApple3AM
02-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I am pro-mustache and pro-(optional) jumping.

The mustache makes him look older and different without making him look like a tool (see: the recent retail Bionic Commando). Plus he looks like a rad 80's dad.

The jumping is totally optional and makes the game easier for new players.

To me, the controls feel more fluid and way less awkward than the original.

AfroRyan
02-03-2011, 12:40 AM
On one hand, you have a point (the controls aren't nearly as tight as BCR). On the other hand...I never was able to beat all the challenges in BCR1 (I was missing 3 I think).

I beat all 24 (only 24) challenges in BCR2 today. Granted, there's only 1 other guy so far that's also done it...but really? The challenges aren't even half as difficult as BCR1. Take it from a guy that couldn't even beat all the challenges in BCR1.

KingSigy
02-03-2011, 03:52 AM
I believe there is an option in the menu to disable jumping. Regardless, the swing mechanics do this game in for me. They are extremely loose and I don't like it at all. I guess growing up on the original just trained me to expect less out of my control scheme, but I don't know. This game isn't bad, it's just different enough to where I don't find it as charming.

BigApple3AM
02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
There is NO menu option to disable jumping because after you complete the game, you unlock Retro Mode where jumping is automatically disabled.

Auburok
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Now, let's talk about Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2.

I had the highest expectations for this game, considering how superb and stellar the last one was. There is no way CAPCOM and GRIN could fail! This could only get better, right? Right?!

The End.

Alright, first off, GRIN wasn't involved. That was Capcom's first error.

I agree with the change in controls. The arm swing mechanic just went over my head this time. I'm so used to swinging back and forth until I pick when to jump. Now it seems like it's "one and done" for swings, and it sort of pisses me off. I wish there was a "retro" option for the arm mechanic, because really: it was more fun and felt more rewarding to master that sum'bitch.

I also don't dig what they did to Spencer. Rad looked fucking awesome in the original redesign. The costume unlock was a major selling point for me as it reminded me of my frustrating childhood plagued with multiple deaths and inability to help Rad get to his target. This game is supposed to be after Rearmed 1, but before the 2009 Bionic Commando. When the fuck did he become some creepy 45 year old in the local 80's bar? I guess he went to a spa prison. I don't understand why people like it. Fat Shark ran away with Rearmed and didn't do anything special with it. In fact: they made it mediocre.

I think I'll pass on this one, too.

UCB Disco
02-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Alright, first off, GRIN wasn't involved. That was Capcom's first error.

I agree with the change in controls. The arm swing mechanic just went over my head this time. I'm so used to swinging back and forth until I pick when to jump. Now it seems like it's "one and done" for swings, and it sort of pisses me off. I wish there was a "retro" option for the arm mechanic, because really: it was more fun and felt more rewarding to master that sum'bitch.

I also don't dig what they did to Spencer. Rad looked fucking awesome in the original redesign. The costume unlock was a major selling point for me as it reminded me of my frustrating childhood plagued with multiple deaths and inability to help Rad get to his target. This game is supposed to be after Rearmed 1, but before the 2009 Bionic Commando. When the fuck did he become some creepy 45 year old in the local 80's bar? I guess he went to a spa prison. I don't understand why people like it. Fat Shark ran away with Rearmed and didn't do anything special with it. In fact: they made it mediocre.

I think I'll pass on this one, too.

Yeah. I realized GRIN wasn't involved in this one after the purchase, unfortunately, and I completely agree with you in that this was the single-most terrible decision made for Rearmed 2.

Even the music is just not as epic as the first one. I remember humming the songs to myself so much after initial playing Rearmed that I ended up buying the album off iTunes and using it as my workout playlist! It got me pumped! Rearmed 2, however, isn't electrifying like the first one. Not in the slightest.

But I disagree with Nathan's redesign. I kind of like it. But then again, I'm a big fan of mustaches, so it didn't take much to sell me on that one.

UCB Disco
02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
On one hand, you have a point (the controls aren't nearly as tight as BCR). On the other hand...I never was able to beat all the challenges in BCR1 (I was missing 3 I think).

I beat all 24 (only 24) challenges in BCR2 today. Granted, there's only 1 other guy so far that's also done it...but really? The challenges aren't even half as difficult as BCR1. Take it from a guy that couldn't even beat all the challenges in BCR1.

Thanks for letting me know that there were only 24 Challenges. I might actually attempt them now. If they were anything like the first games Challenges with these new crappy controls, I would have been pissed. But 24 seems reasonable.

BigApple3AM
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Grin wasn't involved because Grin went out of business. Fatshark, the new developer, has a lot of former Grin employees in it.

AfroRyan
02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks for letting me know that there were only 24 Challenges. I might actually attempt them now. If they were anything like the first games Challenges with these new crappy controls, I would have been pissed. But 24 seems reasonable.

For the record, I don't think that the controls in BCR2 are 'crappy,' just not as tight as BCR. I don't even mean that as an insult either; saying a game has tight controls can also mean that it's unnecessarily rigid.

Although a purist will argue that the original controls were perfect the way they were, anyone unfamiliar with the franchise will (and did) immediately complain about the controls in BCR. Very few people completed BCR (even fans), and I don't necessarily blame them for it; it's a tough game with some absolutely brutal level design if you aren't willing to just tough it out. People like you or me don't mind that...we celebrate it even, but I can understand why Capcom might decide to make the franchise a little more accessible.

What you call crappy controls in BCR2 are actually pretty loose and fluid, more akin to Mario than BCR or Megaman. It's off putting at first to anyone accustomed to the first game, but I guarantee you that anyone new to the franchise would prefer the controls in 2 if they were to play them back to back. It leaves some room for error that non-masochists prefer.

Are they wrong? Are we? I don't think either party's wrong; they both have valid points.

All that said, the game's still fairly difficult in the grand scheme. I beat it without jumping yesterday, and I died a ton (although with the permanent 1ups system, I never had to continue at any point), and felt like the Gorilla boss in particular was pretty difficult (without jumping). Also, the last boss was super cool...he might not be a resurrected Hitler, but it's hard to argue that final boss in BCR2 isn't more interesting (from a gameplay perspective) than BCR...even if his head didn't explod.

Personally, I still love this soundtrack too. It's not much to complain about anyways; it's still all just remixes. Just a matter of opinion though.

Let me wrap up by saying that I hated Sonic 4. Not because it wasn't enough like the first games, but because it was poorly designed. The levels were completely recycled and the engine itself was poorly coded. BCR2, on the other hand, is a nice, original game that doesn't completely rely on its earlier entries (well, entry) and manages to evoke both feelings of familiarity while also staying fresh and interesting by throwing new gameplay mechanics in the mix.

I'll end on a simple comparison of one sentence reviews of BCR and BCR2 and an out of 10 score:

BCR: Based simply on the fact that it is THE perfect example of how to do a remake, 10/10
BCR2: More expensive yet shorter than the first, but still managed to keep me completely entertained throughout, 8.5/10

Polygon Pirate
02-04-2011, 02:20 AM

Completed the 24 just a little while ago.
A few hard ones but nothing a rearmed pro should have any difficulties with.

Looks like i'm going to 200 this one, unlike the 1st one... :)

KingSigy
02-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Let me wrap up by saying that I hated Sonic 4.

You're my new hero. I couldn't stand that game, but no one took me seriously. They thought I was just bitching because I'm an old school Sonic fan. I can't understand why companies put damn Boss Rush modes in their games, though. I understood it in the NES days, but in modern times? Do you really run out of creativity?

UCB Disco
02-04-2011, 05:42 AM
BCR: Based simply on the fact that it is THE perfect example of how to do a remake, 10/10
BCR2: More expensive yet shorter than the first, but still managed to keep me completely entertained throughout, 8.5/10

To a degree, I agree with your post, but here's my problem and it's a wonderful proverb;

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Bionic Commando: Rearmed was just about perfect in every way. It was SOLID. Great remake, beautiful graphics, fantastic music, genuine challenges, surprisingly good co-op and even more surprisingly good competitive multiplayer, and the same grueling difficult that was contained in the NES version. It was a solid remake, and possibly the best remake ever.

Rearmed 2 has left a lot of those elements behind. It's not as difficult. Controls are exactly how you described; more Mario-like and a lot less Megaman-like. Music seems even more rehashed and with less drive. Graphics are still really pretty. The boss fights are bigger, but a lot less aggressive. The co-op this time around feels forced in and doesn't work as well as it did in Rearmed 1. Challenges are definitely not as challenging as the first one. And absolutely no competitive multiplayer, which was the overflow of the last game.

They developed this game based on the success of Rearmed, which was purchased by the core gamers who desired a good remake of an old-school, hardcore game. It sold really well. Rearmed 2 ignores the core audience that helped sell Rearmed, so that CAPCOM could appeal to more people. However, it's just doing the opposite. Sales are going to be pitiful, because they're asking for more money for WAY less content. Is that what we deserve? After showing our support by investing in the brilliant first one? You give us a shorter campaign, less challenges, and no competitive multiplayer, and you want MORE money than the first one?

After playing Rearmed 2, I say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Natanji
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
BCR1 sold really well? I think otherwise, I'm pretty sure I heard that its sales weren't particularily good...

Polygon Pirate
02-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Well I hope they make a third one because i've enjoyed this series so far.

sepulturas666
02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
BCR1 sold really well? I think otherwise, I'm pretty sure I heard that its sales weren't particularily good...

You are heard about the 3D retail BC, which was catastrophic for GRIN. First Rearmed sold pretty damn good. This one is going to be on sale soon, because is worse than first and looks like almost no one buy it so far. Waiting. :)

Polygon Pirate
02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
You are heard about the 3D retail BC, which was catastrophic for GRIN. First Rearmed sold pretty damn good. This one is going to be on sale soon, because is worse than first and looks like almost no one buy it so far. Waiting. :)

Yeah, well all the doom sayers and haters are missing out on a damn good game.

Defacto
02-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Get over yourself Disco, and understand the current game market.

Actually, they made this game FOR YOU.

You didn't beat the game on Hard or Super Hard. You didn't finish all of the challenge rooms.

Then you come in here bitching about how they made the challenges easier and the game easier?

You sucked too much at the first one so they made the game better to cater you and now you complain? Maybe if you could have done better in the first one, they wouldn't have made this one the way they did.

Bravo. :woop: Happy dance for you.

When a company produces a game, afterwords they don't just run to their next project. They still have all of the data from the old game.

They saw that the vast vast majority of people didn't complete the challenge rooms.

So they made them easier and shorter. This was a good and obvious move.

They saw people hated not jumping, so they put in jumping.

Oh and I love the jumping. I just wish they would have made it so they incorporated jumping into the platforming, would have been awesome. They should have went balls to the walls with it, instead of pussy footing around and making jumping optional.

They saw that people who purchased the game ended up not finishing it. So they made the game a little shorter and easier.

They also made the controls easier, which was a great addition in my opinion.

This game is -great-. You have to remember the old game was a remake of a great game, this game is totally original.

If you don't like it, don't play it. It's a great game.

You just have to get the stick out of your butt, quit your complaining and enjoy it.

If every company catered to the 1% hardcore group, they would go bankrupt.

(oh gee, GRIN did go bankrupt. See what I did there? )

logn
02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
There is NO menu option to disable jumping because after you complete the game, you unlock Retro Mode where jumping is automatically disabled.

Really?? Can you get the "no jumping" achievement just by beating Retro Mode?? Please say this is true! :woop:

Polygon Pirate
02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Umm?

Yes. :)

Murgatroyd7
02-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Some people hate it, some people love it:
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/review/psn/bionic-commando-rearmed-2/

Personally, I thought it was pretty good. Certainly not perfect, but not nearly as bad as most people think. The new controls took me about five minutes to get used to. Jumping was a great addition for people who are really interested in the franchise but are unable to handle the gameplay. The NES game was hard as hell and I know I only beat it because I had way, way more patience as a kid. I know how it feels to really want to play a certain game but not be good enough to enjoy it, so I support the changes made (the difficulty was never what drew me in, but rather the gameplay itself). The great thing about the jumping is that you're not required to use it. And if you want a challenging game, play it on the hardest difficulty setting. The gaming community is much larger and more diverse these days, so games are all about accessibility.

UCB Disco
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Get over yourself Disco, and understand the current game market...

If every company catered to the 1% hardcore group, they would go bankrupt.

(oh gee, GRIN did go bankrupt. See what I did there? )

Here's where you're an ass and how about you get over yourself.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed sold 130,000 copies within it's first week. It's first WEEK of sales. Rearmed 2 didn't even hit 100K. Actually, not even remotely close. The hardcore market is 1%? I think not, Mr "I Understand The Current Game Market".

Sales don't lie, and Rearmed sold REALLY well. GRIN went out of business because the Bionic Commando retail game was crap and didn't make any money. Bionic Commando: Rearmed earned them millions of dollars between its sales on XBLA, PC, and PSN. It was a perfect game for a perfect market, and they truly banked off of it.

And yes. It was hard. Even at points, a bit too hard. I didn't beat Rearmed 1 on Hard, because it was genuinely hard. Did that mean I didn't try? No. I really enjoyed my attempt to beat it on hard. I just couldn't finish that last level (The platforming section quite literally killed me).

I don't need to repeat myself, but Rearmed 2 is a joke compared to Rearmed 1. I'm not the only one who thinks this way, but the compiled critics on Metcritic have Rearmed 1 at 85-87 (Depending on the platform) and Rearmed 2 at 64. That's more than a 20% drop, and for a sequel, that is bad news. Sequels should get close to the same reviews if not higher to try and boost the potential for a 3rd entry in the series. These numbers, plus the terrible sales numbers already in, indicate that this potential fantastic series is dead thanks to this second entry.

Rearmed 2 compared to Rearmed 1 is a JOKE, especially at the higher asking price and the much less content. It'll be even worse if they release DLC that should have been in the game in the first place, making an already [not worth it] $15 game into a $20+ game. Even at $10, Rearmed 2 still would feel lacking compared to its predecessor.

But I'm glad that I don't understand the gaming market as well as you do, because if I ever had my own company, it would be a guarantee that my business would last longer than yours... since clearly your math and information are WAY off.

UCB Disco
02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Some people hate it, some people love it:
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/review/psn/bionic-commando-rearmed-2/

Go Gaming Giant? Seriously? There's nothing remotely sensible about that site to support proper opinion about anything. It's mostly children just saying, "Teh is the bomb!" or "Teh is the suck!"

Polygon Pirate
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Go Gaming Giant? Seriously? There's nothing remotely sensible about that site to support proper opinion about anything. It's mostly children just saying, "Teh is the bomb!" or "Teh is the suck!"

About time you got down off that high horse of yours, isn't it?
Your sounding more and more like a jerk with each new post.

Congrats.

ElusiveRobDenby
02-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Loved the 1st one, really like the 2nd.

Is it better? No, but its damn fucking fun.

Not as hard, but more like how it 'should' be as the first one is just stupid hard. Challenge rooms were challenging, but not impossible.

And IMO, once you get used to the controls... i think they're better than the first one. I had no problem hopping around all the levels without falling or anything compared to the 1st one.

Overall, worth my money. Im happy.

Altho the multiplayer achievement is stupid, why cant I play online with someone else? Oh well.

UCB Disco
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
About time you got down off that high horse of yours, isn't it?
Your sounding more and more like a jerk with each new post.

Congrats.

All right. I'll give you that. I was definitely a jerk on that last one. My apologies.

In all honesty, I just initially came on here because I was genuinely upset with how downgraded this game is compared to its predecessor. I was just expecting more, especially at the higher asking price. I genuinely didn't mean to be a d!ck, but looking back at my responses, I was, without a doubt.

Natanji
02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
It's fine mate, we all sometimes get a bit emotional over our passion that is video games. ;) As long as you stand up for it, it shows you're self-critical, much more than I expect from most people on the net.

That laid aside, I think I understand both positions pretty well. I think it's great that especially the challenge rooms aren't as insanely hard and made it possible to finish them. And I also liked the new swinging mechanics because it felt more like I could get the game to do what I intended, rather than forcing me on an unfamiliar control scheme like the first one and forcing me to master it. In retrospective it made BCR1 much more "special", however. The levels were also better designed, much more unique. The ones in BCR2 are less mh, "compact". They are longer, overall it makes the game seem like much more content, but they also seem pretty exchangable.

Plus, has anyone mentioned the bosses yet? The bosses in BCR2 really suck compared to BCR1. And that's although they reused every boss in BCR1 (but made it harder the second time).
I'll say, BCR1 has a more focussed game design. It's very tight and just completely polished. BCR2 is too many features thrown into a pot and mixed together compared to that. Still very much fun, but not the genuine awesomeness that is BCR1.

Polygon Pirate
02-10-2011, 11:12 PM
All right. I'll give you that. I was definitely a jerk on that last one. My apologies.

In all honesty, I just initially came on here because I was genuinely upset with how downgraded this game is compared to its predecessor. I was just expecting more, especially at the higher asking price. I genuinely didn't mean to be a d!ck, but looking back at my responses, I was, without a doubt.

Well you were big enough to admit your responses were getting out of hand, so congrats on that as well. :)

Plus, has anyone mentioned the bosses yet? The bosses in BCR2 really suck compared to BCR1. And that's although they reused every boss in BCR1 (but made it harder the second time).
I'll say, BCR1 has a more focussed game design. It's very tight and just completely polished. BCR2 is too many features thrown into a pot and mixed together compared to that. Still very much fun, but not the genuine awesomeness that is BCR1.

I see this lack of boss difficulty the one weak point in an otherwise awesome sequel.
Gorilla was my favourite, though still easy as.

UCB Disco
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
It's fine mate, we all sometimes get a bit emotional over our passion that is video games. ;) As long as you stand up for it, it shows you're self-critical, much more than I expect from most people on the net.

That laid aside, I think I understand both positions pretty well. I think it's great that especially the challenge rooms aren't as insanely hard and made it possible to finish them. And I also liked the new swinging mechanics because it felt more like I could get the game to do what I intended, rather than forcing me on an unfamiliar control scheme like the first one and forcing me to master it. In retrospective it made BCR1 much more "special", however. The levels were also better designed, much more unique. The ones in BCR2 are less mh, "compact". They are longer, overall it makes the game seem like much more content, but they also seem pretty exchangable.

I actually just edited my main post to share opinions after having finished the campaign and challenges, and the bosses were one of my biggest complaints. Each of them were extremely boring except Brubacker, and GORILLA and what's-his-face's flame-ridden aircraft were boring both the first and second time.

But yeah. I really agree with your post, and thanks for sharing some disappointment. I thought I was the only one disappointed with the overall outcome of this one. hahaha.

UCB Disco
02-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Well you were big enough to admit your responses were getting out of hand, so congrats on that as well. :)

Well, it's hard to resist going out of hand when it seemed like I was the only one upset with the game. I thought I was taking crazy pills since everyone else was saying how wonderful BCR2 was, and I just didn't see it. After that, people just started getting a little meaner, and since I was alone, I had to be extra d!ckish. hahahaha.

Again, didn't mean to get too out of hand. I just wanted to share my honest opinion, as I have been waiting for this game since they announced it and expected so much out of it because of the first one.

Major Bones
02-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I completely agree with the OP. I was completely suprised to see that they changed the controls up. I can hardly play the game in a similiar way that I used to play the NES one and the remake. At first it was a 50/50 chance for me to pull myself up to the next level, or drop into some spikes. I wish they would of left the controls the same as the first game. It frustrates me because I enjoyed the first game so much, and this is just a dissapointment.

Polygon Pirate
02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I completely agree with the OP. I was completely suprised to see that they changed the controls up. I can hardly play the game in a similiar way that I used to play the NES one and the remake. At first it was a 50/50 chance for me to pull myself up to the next level, or drop into some spikes. I wish they would of left the controls the same as the first game. It frustrates me because I enjoyed the first game so much, and this is just a dissapointment.

I actually find the controls more responsive and precise for BC rearmed 2.
The controls for BC rearmed 1 just seem primitive to me now, having gone back and played it again.

AfroRyan
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Just a quick opinion/post.

I enjoyed the bosses in BCR2 when I first played through, since I wasn't jumping. GORILLA was actually super difficult to defeat without jumping, along with the final boss.

Also, another quick point: playing on Prestige mode is actually pretty hard. You can't change your equipment (other than weapons) at all, so no grenades, and no passive enhancements. I'm doing this on top playing through on Hard, so it's actually pretty danged tough.

I concede that if you play the game the way it's promoted (with jumping, enhancements, etc.) it's super easy (especially for BCR vets), but if you plan on getting 200/200, it's still pretty difficult.

Just another 2 cents.

Also, I still won't defend its price; $15 is crazy in comparison to the $10 that BCR was/is.

UCB Disco
02-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I actually find the controls more responsive and precise for BC rearmed 2.
The controls for BC rearmed 1 just seem primitive to me now, having gone back and played it again.

Okay. I played through Rearmed 1 a little bit the other day, and I'll agree with you on some areas about the controls. There are things they did that were for the better in Rearmed 2, but the one that I didn't care for the most (And I thought this in my initial play of Rearmed 2) is the controlling of the actual swinging. It makes for botched movements when trying to go for secrets and unlockables, particularly the going in and out (length) or the retractable claw. In Rearmed 1, the claw simply was at length and could be pulled in one time. It left little room for error, which would be your own fault. The new controls, again, just tend to cause more error in this field than help.

Other than that, they do feel more response in circumstances, especially against bosses. After playing a couple bosses in Rearmed 1 again, I remembered why that game was so difficult so quickly. Rearmed 2 tried with the controls, but for me, I still prefer Rearmed 1's controls.

UCB Disco
02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Also, another quick point: playing on Prestige mode is actually pretty hard. You can't change your equipment (other than weapons) at all, so no grenades, and no passive enhancements. I'm doing this on top playing through on Hard, so it's actually pretty danged tough.

My beef is not with the difficulty, per say. My beef was with a lot of different things discussed within the first post. But I do agree, turning on Prestige and going for no-jumping are rather difficult.

Again though, I just wish they kept competitive multiplayer. That's probably my biggest disappointment. Oh, and the price point, of course. ;)

AfroRyan
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
My beef is not with the difficulty, per say. My beef was with a lot of different things discussed within the first post. But I do agree, turning on Prestige and going for no-jumping are rather difficult.

Again though, I just wish they kept competitive multiplayer. That's probably my biggest disappointment. Oh, and the price point, of course. ;)

Speaking of competitive multiplayer, I wish Bionic Commando NEXTGEN had a bigger following than it did; it had AMAZING multiplayer. CTF was SO INTENSE! Of course, BCR had fun competitive multiplayer too, and I agree that it sucks that it's missing.

I won't even argue the $15 price point; I'm 110% in agreement. $15 is insane when BCR1 is only $10.

Oh, and if you haven't played MvsC3, Spencer is AMAZING in it. That makes me super happy.

UCB Disco
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Speaking of competitive multiplayer, I wish Bionic Commando NEXTGEN had a bigger following than it did; it had AMAZING multiplayer. CTF was SO INTENSE! Of course, BCR had fun competitive multiplayer too, and I agree that it sucks that it's missing.

I won't even argue the $15 price point; I'm 110% in agreement. $15 is insane when BCR1 is only $10.

Oh, and if you haven't played MvsC3, Spencer is AMAZING in it. That makes me super happy.

I'm honestly a little disappointed with how Capcom did MvC3 (No Megaman and Venom?! Really?!). I personally didn't buy it, because I was one of the few smart people that knew Capcom would throw a curveball at everyone who bought Street Fighter IV by announcing Super Street Fighter IV. I truly believe they're going to do something very similar with MvC3, like MvC3: Super Mutant Edition. When that day comes, I will definitely buy it, just like I only bought Super Street Fighter IV. :woop:

UCB Disco
02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, apparently I'm not the only one who was hugely disappointed with this game. Not even a month, and this community is Deadsville.

Not only that, but BCR2 never even made it into the top 20 in Arcade sales. Period. At this exact moment, it is 90th in Arcade sales, with games like Bloody Good Time, the original Contra, the overpriced Call of Duty "Classic", Faery: Legends of Avalon, the awful Dead Space Ignition, and even the terrible online-only shooter Breach is selling better than BCR2.

Now, did I not make my point in the original post or what? Obviously I'm not the only one.