PDA

View Full Version : "A Certain Country to the North" invades US in the Japanese Version

Elit3 m0nkey
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Well seems North Korea won't be invading the US in the Japanese version of Homefront. Instead, it will be "A Certain Country to the North". Now depending on how you look at it, it will either be A) China or B) Canada?

In THQ's Homefront the United States of 2027 faces an invasion by North Korea. For the Japanese release North Korea has been replaced with "A Certain Country to the North." Damn you, Canada!

In order to comply with Japanese rating board CERO's guidelines regarding the portrayal of existing people and countries, Homefront's Japanese publisher Spike has to make a few changes to the game. North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has been removed from the game's opening movie, referred to in the game simply as the "Northern Leader" of "A Certain Country to the North."

While these changes are understandable, they do leave certain aspects of the game open to interpretation, including the identity of this invading force. If the country being invaded is the United States, and the invaders hair from "A Certain Country to the North," can there really be any doubt as to which country that is?
We trusted you, Canada.
(http://kotaku.com/5752045/japanese-homefront-might-make-a-villain-out-of-canada?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29)
SOURCE (http://kotaku.com/5752045/japanese-homefront-might-make-a-villain-out-of-canada?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29)

I know this should go in the Homefront forum, but this is too funny.

sanger
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
That's funny. This probably will make the Japanese version of the game have separate achievements compared to the US version. I doubt the game will even see a release here in South Korea due to its portrayal of North Korea.

Son of Kyuss
02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
If it is indeed Canada that'll be invading, I'll go out of my way to purchase a japanese copy of the game. I'll buy two if it just so happens that the White House gets burnt down again.

Elit3 m0nkey
02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
If it is indeed Canada that'll be invading, I'll go out of my way to purchase a japanese copy of the game. I'll buy two if it just so happens that the White House gets burnt down again.

Same. Would be too funny (especially since our military sucks in real life:()

French_Kid
02-06-2011, 06:16 PM
yay Canada!

JohnnyR74
02-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Well, I always knew we had it in us. So no surprises here.

;)

TheFalcon
02-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Blame Canada!

Neverender
02-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Ah, those crazy Canadians and their shenaniganery! :p

Capn Doug
02-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Wouldn't be the first time. Vietman as the first war America lost? No, the Canadian Militia burned down the White House. I'm not sure who was responsible for what happened to Detroit, though...

Same. Would be too funny (especially since our military sucks in real life:()

Actually, our military is usually considered one of the best trained, we just don't have the high tech equipment that prevents the people from having to fight in the first place.

watchmefly420
02-06-2011, 07:43 PM
well that gives away the ending considering "the country to the north" will be getting their asses kicked lol

Elit3 m0nkey
02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Wouldn't be the first time. Vietman as the first war America lost? No, the Canadian Militia burned down the White House. I'm not sure who was responsible for what happened to Detroit, though...

Actually, our military is usually considered one of the best trained, we just don't have the high tech equipment that prevents the people from having to fight in the first place.

Guess I should have been more specific but ya I equipment sucks *looks at the Navy*, just not our soldiers

Big_Sama
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah then all the Japanese people playing it would say "why do all Canadians look like Koreans"

Loftin08
02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
In the Japanese movie "Battle Royale 2" (don't watch it, it's really bad even if you liked the first), they refer to America as "a certain country" at a point that the US is bombing Japan in retaliation for allowing a youth revolt.

Again, it's a terrible movie, don't waste your time. I just found it interesting that they worded it that way and now through this article it appears that the Japanese rating system had something to do with it.

Qonok
02-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I would think it would have been a more interesting game if it was Canada to begin with.
At least it would be as likely for Canada to invade the U.S. as it is North Korea.

RBmaster9345
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Usually these games are simply banned in the country made to look like the enemy. Like all the recent Cod games are banned in Russia and zombies is blocked in Germany. lol

KillerBEA
02-25-2011, 06:09 AM
That's funny. This probably will make the Japanese version of the game have separate achievements compared to the US version. I doubt the game will even see a release here in South Korea due to its portrayal of North Korea.
More then definitely on the stackable achievement thing. I really hope it does as I am really looking forward to this game and I am getting my japanese xbox soon :D

Spanish Assault
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Does Canada even have an Army?

J/K...Kim Jong is so crazy.

Pyrochaos
03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah I think by "North," they mean North of Japan or North of North Korea?

I just don't see a Canada invading US game with all Canadian Asians (all 12 of them).

13ip0lar
03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Does Canada even have an Army?

J/K...Kim Jong is so crazy.

I would think it would have been a more interesting game if it was Canada to begin with.
At least it would be as likely for Canada to invade the U.S. as it is North Korea.

Yeah I think by "North," they mean North of Japan or North of North Korea?

I just don't see a Canada invading US game with all Canadian Asians (all 12 of them).

I'll play devil's advocate. While these numbers are dated, and by dated I mean a year or so, the population of Canada is 33 million, while in the states we have 333million. This is all from memory so bear with, obviously I don't have to point out that is a 10:1 ratio in favor of the states. Also keep in mind that Canada has a big invisible line dividing itself down the middle with the 'eh' sayers on one side, and the French speaking on the other. Fact is while most won't admit to it, Quebec has wanted to break off from Canada for a long time but never has the backing or support to do so, thus is remains a pipe dream, but still shows how split they feel they are, and want to be. Obviously this would lead to problems in a number of ways, so naturally it never makes it very far, but the point I'm trying to make is you have an army a fraction of the size of your own, half don't want to even talk to each other, or can't for that matter, and they are gonna take on one of the best, if not the best military in the world?! Plausible?

Yeah...I find it easier to believe some dying crazy Korean dude would do something that stupid. There is a reason we are trillion dollars in debt, and no one wants to collect other than in a collection agency manner, with friendly phone calls and reminders. ^^

/end America...FUCK YEAH! rant

DOOKH8R
03-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Finally, a war we can win!

13ip0lar
03-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Finally, a war we can win!

Quoted for truth and lolz...sadly I find that we would bungle that up to. It's funny how we win the wars when the world is about to come to a proverbial end, but not any of the stuff in between. Granted we didn't do it alone, I realize that, but yeah... >_>

M49907
03-04-2011, 01:27 AM
I'll play devil's advocate. While these numbers are dated, and by dated I mean a year or so, the population of Canada is 33 million, while in the states we have 333million. This is all from memory so bear with, obviously I don't have to point out that is a 10:1 ratio in favor of the states. Also keep in mind that Canada has a big invisible line dividing itself down the middle with the 'eh' sayers on one side, and the French speaking on the other. Fact is while most won't admit to it, Quebec has wanted to break off from Canada for a long time but never has the backing or support to do so, thus is remains a pipe dream, but still shows how split they feel they are, and want to be. Obviously this would lead to problems in a number of ways, so naturally it never makes it very far, but the point I'm trying to make is you have an army a fraction of the size of your own, half don't want to even talk to each other, or can't for that matter, and they are gonna take on one of the best, if not the best military in the world?! Plausible?

Yeah...I find it easier to believe some dying crazy Korean dude would do something that stupid. There is a reason we are trillion dollars in debt, and no one wants to collect other than in a collection agency manner, with friendly phone calls and reminders. ^^

/end America...FUCK YEAH! rant

Well I think you thought into it a little to much. I think that North Korea, who are a bunch of poor dirty commies, are less likely to even be able to survive the voyage to the US on their pre WW1 wooden ships let alone be able to invade the US.

The achievement list would probably just get reworded instead of being a whole different list. And if they actually change the invading country to Canada, they are dumb because they will all look asain.

Worhammer
03-05-2011, 12:52 AM
To quote a Canadian friend of mine....

"Our military sucks so much, we own one Naval Warship. And that one was given to us by the US for Christmas in 1990."

13ip0lar
03-05-2011, 08:15 AM

"Our military sucks so much, we own one Naval Warship. And that one was given to us by the US for Christmas in 1990."

That's awesome... it's like a giant Christmas tree ornament. Just need to find a tree big enough to hang it on. :D

DOOKH8R
03-05-2011, 08:21 AM

You sure it wasn't for Boxing Day? :p

spidertactics
05-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Canada already won when they sent us Mr. Bryan Adams.

SpinalSynopsis
06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Fallout 3 way was the same way. I just don't see Canadian's crossing that boarder with their hockey sticks and puffy jackets wanting to bust some redneck's skull. ;) Seriously though, why would Canada invade the US? They have free healthcare that's keeping them alive while American's are fat and are killing themselves by eating fast food, why tip the scales? :D