PDA

View Full Version : Death of the RPG?

Tiamat66
06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I finished Oblivion, Phantasy Star is a fighting game, Final Fantasy is online. Haven't tried Enchanted Arms yet, so I'm not sure about that one. My point is, what the hell happened? The 360 has been out for 2 years now, there are four RPG's? Where are the Dragon Warriors or Shining Forces?

Seriously, it doesn't need to be first person style, or a fighting game, or just online. I was perfectly happy with the overhead view, and side by side or face to face fight setup. There used to be 3 to 4 really nice RPG's a year that you could choose from, especially on the SNES and Genesis. Less so on subsequent platforms.

Before Oblivion the last really good RPG I played was Breath of Fire 4 for PS2. It was that long ago, and now with the technology we have, I keep half expecting to see some of these oldies show up on arcade. Nothing so far unfortunatly. Does anyone know the reason for the lack of RPG's out now?

Haly
06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Enchanted Arms is worth it imo if you like turn based RPGs, its fighting is pretty strategical which I particularly liked.
And soon you'll have Blue Dragon, Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey which should all be great :D

CC99999
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Um, do you read a section on gaming sites called "previews". That's where they tell you what's coming soon. You have major RPGs on the horizon, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell (Eternal Sonata), and Two Worlds in the near future.

Patience, young Jedi.

highpass
06-18-2007, 03:03 PM
The guy's asking why there is a lack of RPGs despite ample time for them to be developed, as opposed to simply saying "waa there's no RPGs" full stop.

Who knows. Probably because the 360's foundation is built around first person shooters as much as anything, but to reiterate what others have said all this will change over the next 2 years; Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Two Worlds, Fable 2, Conan, Last Remnant, Precursors, and Operation Darkness. Phew. Good cake takes longer to bake, i guess.

SegaSaturnSNK
06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
You need to realize that 360 is a FPS console. I've always seen 360 as that plus blame US gamers and etc. for that. Plus, knowing how 360 is lacking as hell in Japan and mainly has only one "true" RPG developer (Japanese style that is) Mistwalker. US RPG developers aren't that great, not a big fan of Elder Scrolls, I'm more of a "Japanese" RPG player.

We'll be getting some RPGs soon aka Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata in late August (unless Blue Dragon gets delayed) and in Sept.

Roflcoptered
06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
The guy's asking why there is a lack of RPGs despite ample time for them to be developed, as opposed to simply saying "waa there's no RPGs" full stop.

Who knows. Probably because the 360's foundation is built around first person shooters as much as anything, but to reiterate what others have said all this will change over the next 2 years; Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Two Worlds, Fable 2, Conan, Last Remnant, Precursors, and Operation Darkness. Phew. Good cake takes longer to bake, i guess.

I wouldnt say that Xbox is just a FPS system, but RPGS ARE NOT DEAD. You are just on the wrong system right now... get a PC and play World of Warcraft until some more RPGs come out

codedigital
06-18-2007, 04:05 PM
I wouldnt say that Xbox is just a FPS system, but RPGS ARE NOT DEAD. You are just on the wrong system right now... get a PC and play World of Warcraft until some more RPGs come out

Ewwwww. You said WoW.

Ghost x360a
06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Well there are a whole lot of good rpg's coming out including Fable 2, Mass Effect and Blue Dragon.

Most Frantic
06-18-2007, 04:42 PM
It's true... there really aren't a lot of must-have RPG's out on any system right now...
I'm playing Enchanted Arms now and I'd call it average. I'm only about 8 hours in and hopefully the story picks up.

xfrancox
06-18-2007, 05:13 PM
When I switched to Xbox a long time ago from PS2, I kind of figured Id see a lot less RPG games. Honestly I never thought of the Xbox as the RPG console, to me thats always been Playstation.

Haly
06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
It's not really like an RPG though, it has no storyline whatsoever and is never ending with only statistical character development, and no personality.

I'd put lack of RPGs down to money, they take a while to make and there's less money in it, at least in the West, so why would a developer bother? Pity really.

Predator x360a
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Im guessing theres a lack because they want them to be awesome. Im waiting for Two Worlds to come out next month which is going to be an amazing RPG.

TheLazyWolf
06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
It's true... there really aren't a lot of must-have RPG's out on any system right now...
I'm playing Enchanted Arms now and I'd call it average. I'm only about 8 hours in and hopefully the story picks up.

It doesn't. That game has easily the most bland story of any RPG i can remember.

If you MUST have your RPGS pick up an NTSC-J console, then you can play Ziria, Spectral Force 3, Diario, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, and the rest of them. I don't think MS ever intended to bring any of those games over here, but they have started to due to the large number of english gamers importing consoles just to play them.

Haly
06-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Trusty Bell should be coming out as Eternal Sonata at some point this year :)
And I'd still say Enchanted Arms was decent, the story's not amazing but it makes up for it with the combat and golem system and it still has a few twists and turns anyhow.

Most Frantic
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
It doesn't. That game has easily the most bland story of any RPG i can remember.

If you MUST have your RPGS pick up an NTSC-J console, then you can play Ziria, Spectral Force 3, Diario, Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, and the rest of them. I don't think MS ever intended to bring any of those games over here, but they have started to due to the large number of english gamers importing consoles just to play them.

Fantastic... now I know I have nothing to look forward to for the rest of the game. But I've already put too much time into it to quit.

SegaSaturnSNK
06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I think the only best RPGs that ever came out on consoles were the SNES and PS, nuff said.

Tiamat66
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I know there are some nice looking RPG's coming in the near future, I was just wondering why we only have 4 so far. I never really got into PC games simply because I don't want to load up my crappy computer. Plus, I really don't like playing most games against or with people online. Thats why I didn't grab the new Final Fantasy.

I'm not really the biggest fan of RPG's, my list is mostly action, shooters or racing games. When I bought Oblivion, I didn't go to the store to grab it, I just wanted to grab a game. I loved it, beat it and Shivering Isles, and moved on to something else. But I recently found an old pile of gaming magazines from about ten years ago in the back of my closet, and seeing all those old school RPG's like Ogre Battle made me want to play some more. I was looking for another, and went to check out Final Fantasy and saw it was online only. They didn't have a copy of Enchanted Arms, so I was out of luck.

I think, more or less, that I wrote this thread as a rant from being annoyed with the situation. Thanks for the responses, and I'll try to grab Enchanted Arms next.

mone88
06-20-2007, 07:22 AM
they should really make more RPG games or jus a really good one that last for a long time

Cyrex
06-20-2007, 03:08 PM
while there is overlord and two worlds that are coming out soon, Mass Effect may be better than halo 3, and Kotor3 is schedualed for feb next year and that will be the best RPG EVER in my opinion

Nada
06-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I would not say its the death of RPG. I would say its a new life for them. You have to understand PS2 had so many RPGs coming out that it almost killed the field. So may titles that all had the same type of type of make and rail story line it got real bad. Now its in the stages of a rebirth. Companys are having to re-think and take time on building RPGs from now on. In the end thats a good thing because I want Quality over Quantity. The days of only school Dragon Warrior and what not are over its time to get with the times. I only want to see old classic RPGs on the Arcade.

Cold Rival
06-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I know how you feel. I love RPGs too. I've finished Oblivion and there doesn't seem to be much other choice at the moment. I loved playing the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance Series on the PS2. I think it's be great if the released a third for the 360. :D

Tiamat66
06-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I guess I'm a simple person when it comes to RPG's. I don't need cutting edge graphics or sound. If they put out a brand new RPG that looked like something from the NES I'd eat it up if it were half-decent. Oblivion looked gorgeous, did it have to? Not at all. They could have done it overhead either Zelda style with all the enemies on screen or Dragon Warrior style where you step on a random block, and you get a fight screen, and I'd be totally happy.

Thats why I dislike Phantasy Star IV and Final Fantasy XI. I played the previous games from both these series' and loved them all. Just because theres a new, more powerful console does not mean you have to change everything about the game that made it good. The next round of RPG's are coming out shortly, I just hope they are something I can enjoy, otherwise, I'll have to continue to with another futile rant...

Chao2
06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
When Mass Effect comes out I think i'll be satisfied for atleast a year, I replayed the KOTOR titles about three times each. Lost Odyssey looks like my kind of game as well. In about 6 months time we should start getting some decent RPG'S at last.

Bluntman428
06-25-2007, 04:59 AM
There's actually a lot of really promising RPGs coming in the near future.

A lot of them have already been mentioned in this thread, but there's some other good news.

It's looking like Square may lose the exclusivity with Sony soon if the PS3 doesn't pick up. I can't remember if it was EGM or Game Informer, but one of them asked a CEO at Square about the possibility of them developing for the 360 and his response was something along the lines of "With the rising cost of development, it wouldn't make sense financially for our company to release our product on one system exclusively.". It would make sense, cause yeah Sony could throw money at them to keep their big exclusives, but Microsoft has 10x more money to throw at them. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Final Fantasy released on the 360 and the PS3 by 2009.

Plus, Mistwalker's developing exclusively for the 360, and they're run by the creator of Final Fantasy. Blue Dragon's supposed to be pretty incredible, and there's no chance that Mistwalker will develop for Sony again. The President said straight up that he can't stand Sony, and will never work for them again. I expect to see big things from them.

Also, one other thing no one mentioned is that WoW's coming to the 360. It's not going to be the same game as the PC version, it's being designed solely for consoles. It could be pretty awesome, but then again Sony did something similar with EverQuest on the Playstation 2 and it was a disaster. I was a Phase 2 closed beta tester for EverQuest: Online Adventures, and that game was a heaping pile of crap. It was just a watered down version of EQ, lacking all the features that made EQ (sorta) fun. Blizzard's got a good track record though, so I'm confident they'll do a good job.

If you look it up, it's widely considered a rumor, but in an issue of Game Informer about 2 or 3 months ago they printed an article on it. There's also new info coming out that makes it seem more plausible. Check this link:

http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/04/30/blizzards-next-mmo-world-of-warcraft-for-the-xbox-360/

It'd be cool if it was true. Like it or not, WoW's a huge franchise, and with Xbox Live it'd be pretty awesome. Voice chat without the use of third party programs is the first plus I can think of.