PDA

View Full Version : never played number 1 will i need to or is it a seperate story

Aiden 514
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
yeah the title says it all

The Pants Party
02-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Different story in the same world. This should help expand on that:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7513-BioWare-Talks-Up-Dragon-Age-II%E2%80%99s-Save-Import-Features.html

Aiden 514
02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
ah cool thanks a lot

PakoRawr
02-11-2011, 01:56 AM
I would recommend You to play the first one, it is an INCREDIBLE game.

BloodGodAlucard
02-11-2011, 03:41 AM
I agree. You should definitely play Dragon Age: Origins first. It's one of the best games this generation. It's one of my favorites for sure. :)

TacticalElusion
02-22-2011, 02:09 AM
I kinda want to get this game but i have so many games to play and so little time. Plus, i've never played the first one (which I would probably want to before playing this one).
So my question is how long do you think it would take a first time player to get through DAo? how much longer does the dlc take?

RufftyMan
02-22-2011, 03:00 AM
For me personally it took around 60+ hours to finish DAo. Around 20 hours to complete Awakening and around 1-2 hours for the other expansions. So you're talking a good 90(ish) hours if you like to go everywhere, do everything.

If you want all achievements, then longer as you'd need to do all the Origin stories, plus a full second playthrough for choice achievements.

Hope this helped.

ShawnSig
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Buy the Ultimate edition if you can, it will save you quite a bit of money.

TacticalElusion
02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
thanks for the answer.... I was planning on getting the ultimate edition if i do decide its worth the time..

Stevey Boy2006
02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Dont bother with 2 its crap(judging by the demo) just play the first one and the DLC

13ip0lar
02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Dont bother with 2 its crap(judging by the demo) just play the first one and the DLC

Good think that's only your opinion and not the majority. Also, I had the feeling while playing through DA:O and all its DLC that in someways I wish it was an MMO, mainly so that there would be a steady release of content, and new adventures to tackle. With this said, I'm sure there are a lot more mods and user created content for PC, however, I wish it was the same with console. Oh well :s

Opiate42
02-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Good think that's only your opinion and not the majority.

Haha I agree, loved the first game and loved the demo, can't wait for DA2!!!

Cav Clayton
02-24-2011, 12:24 AM
You'd probably get by just fine without playing the first, but somethings may not be explained (the Chantry, Flemeth, Rivalry with Orlais etc..)

You'll definitely get more out of it if you play the first, and if you're a fan of RPG's you really should play it anyway.

Also, if you're just in to doing the necessary stuff to 'set you up' for DA2 it will probably take:

Dragon Age - 16hrs
Awakening - 8hrs
DLC - 4-5hrs

Miles Prower F6
02-24-2011, 01:27 AM
I don't think the DAO decisions will be as intrinsically important to DA2 as say ME1's decisions were to ME2 for clear reasons. Though I'd be willing to wager the decisions will affect the atmosphere of the lands you visit.

Cav Clayton
02-24-2011, 02:37 AM
I don't think the DAO decisions will be as intrinsically important to DA2 as say ME1's decisions were to ME2 for clear reasons. Though I'd be willing to wager the decisions will affect the atmosphere of the lands you visit.
Which decisions from ME1 were important? None.
Unless you count 3 lines of dialogue as important..

OceanH
02-24-2011, 03:04 AM

Save or kill the Rachni Queen and others. This will be helpful for the final fight against the Reapers in ME3. Having the Rachni help you or not to fight the Reapers like having the Golems or not at the end of Dragon Age: Origins to fight the Archdemon. Didn't thought of it, did you?

13ip0lar
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Haha I agree, loved the first game and loved the demo, can't wait for DA2!!!

Ugh, I meant to say 'thing' and not 'think', hate getting quoted on typos/brain farts. Oh well... :<

This clearly wasn't a well thought out comment. For one, you could have killed Wrex in ME 1 and have him not make an appearance in ME2 as the leader of that Krogan faction or whatever. That said, and dialogue aside, one decision that results in a character from a previous installment rising to a position of serious power, amongst a dying race, not important? I would like to know your definition of important. If you mean just playing through a game and it not really changing your experience, then perhaps. If you mean actually following the story and having a serious change take place in the ME universe, as you know it, then I would say, your evaluation is simply an opinion and not fact, from a story telling stand point. Making it nothing more than obvious bias...

Also, if you're just in to doing the necessary stuff to 'set you up' for DA2 it will probably take:

Dragon Age - 16hrs
Awakening - 8hrs
DLC - 4-5hrs

Yeah because clearly rushing through one of the few "good" games that comes along now and again, is something people should be doing. I use the word good in the context of meaning not only having a good story, but good gameplay as well. I took easily over 40 hours, doing everything on my first playthrough, no matter how trivial the side-quest, and that was in Origins alone. I think at the very least, people that say the like or respect a game should at least actually play it through. After that second, third time around, skip all the dialogue, but at least take your time once on games that are 'good'. Don't come around too often in this day and age.

DFB 1708
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah because clearly rushing through one of the few "good" games that comes along now and again, is something people should be doing. I use the word good in the context of meaning not only having a good story, but good gameplay as well. I took easily over 40 hours, doing everything on my first playthrough, no matter how trivial the side-quest, and that was in Origins alone. I think at the very least, people that say the like or respect a game should at least actually play it through. After that second, third time around, skip all the dialogue, but at least take your time once on games that are 'good'. Don't come around too often in this day and age.

Now clearly this wasn't a well thought out comment. Just kidding.
But I believe Clayton talked about making sure you understood everything or at least a lot or enough of the DA universe required those ~30 hours.
SOME people probably don't want to play DA1, because compared to the DA2 demo the DA1 is quite slowpaced, at least the combat.

Now I am going to bore myself to death by studying -_-.

13ip0lar
02-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Now clearly this wasn't a well thought out comment. Just kidding.
But I believe Clayton talked about making sure you understood everything or at least a lot or enough of the DA universe required those ~30 hours.
SOME people probably don't want to play DA1, because compared to the DA2 demo the DA1 is quite slowpaced, at least the combat.

Now I am going to bore myself to death by studying -_-.

Yes I know, which is why I used the word "rushed", because while you will get the broad strokes you will miss the fine details. With that I say, to each his own.

Enjoy studying, hopefully nothing to terribly boring?

TacticalElusion
02-26-2011, 01:19 AM

Don't worry whenever I play a game with a half decent story I litteraly try to do EVERYTHING possible. Example: Red Dead Redemption.... one of the best stories...I assume the Dragon Age franchise is better due to that being one of it's key selling points

Cav Clayton
02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
This clearly wasn't a well thought out comment. For one, you could have killed Wrex in ME 1 and have him not make an appearance in ME2 as the leader of that Krogan faction or whatever. That said, and dialogue aside, one decision that results in a character from a previous installment rising to a position of serious power, amongst a dying race, not important? I would like to know your definition of important. If you mean just playing through a game and it not really changing your experience, then perhaps. If you mean actually following the story and having a serious change take place in the ME universe, as you know it, then I would say, your evaluation is simply an opinion and not fact, from a story telling stand point. Making it nothing more than obvious bias...
The decisions weren't really game changing. Just extra dialogue. If you played without the decisions it was pretty much the same:

- Anderson hating his job either way
- There still being a leader at Tuchanka

Sure they change the story, but it's really just a substitute for something irrelevant.
However, all this still remains to be seen when ME3 hits.

He asked how long it would take to get a sense of the story. So I gave it to him. If he'd had asked how long to explore everything in the game I would have gave him that too.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me on something, but before you get offended and go off typing, it would pay to read the rest of the posts.

Durdens Wrath
02-28-2011, 06:37 AM
You'd probably get by just fine without playing the first, but somethings may not be explained (the Chantry, Flemeth, Rivalry with Orlais etc..)

You'll definitely get more out of it if you play the first, and if you're a fan of RPG's you really should play it anyway.

Dragon Age - 16hrs
Awakening - 8hrs
DLC - 4-5hrs
We have a winner! There is a LOT of world building that goes on in the first one. For example in the demo they mention a mage being an apostate, and without the context of the first one, it won't make a lot of sense.

twhiting9275
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Can't please everyone I guess, ehh? Crap? Seriously, "it's crap" ? That's your argument for not buying it? You couldn't actually put together a well formed argument for calling it crap, just "it's crap"?

To answer the OP's question:
No, you don't 'need' to play Origins to play 2. The stories are, as discussed here, parallel in the timeline. I'm wondering how they're going to pull that off, but such is the beauty of the game (gotta buy it to see it ;)).

That said though, also as said, you really owe it to yourself to play the first one before the second one. Give it a good once through, start to finish, it will help you pick up on the things that are subtly included in 2 (such as the chantry, etc). Besides, Origins is, well, it's one of the best RPG's out there that I've seen by far. You really want to play Origins ;)

Thugsley
02-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Just what i was looking for, the answers to this thread, thanks for the helpful replies, going to wait on getting 2 so i can see what origins has to offer :)

TacticalElusion
03-04-2011, 01:39 AM
This may sound stupid but I think I am going to buy DA2 and if I like it I will go back and buy DAo UE.

OceanH
03-04-2011, 09:08 AM
This may sound stupid but I think I am going to buy DA2 and if I like it I will go back and buy DAo UE.

It does sound stupid. Why not buy Dragon Age: Origins (Ultimate Edition) and if you liked it, then buy Dragon Age 2?

This thread is full of bullshit. To anyone one new to any franchises: don't even ask, just always play the previous games and never, by all means, speedrun. Seriously.

/facepalm

sardonixs
03-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I would recommend You to play the first one, it is an INCREDIBLE game.

Could not agree more. Origins was one of those games that I have never really got around to playing but with all the talk of the second one I've started playing it and glad I did, one of the best games I'be played for a while.

Worhammer
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
It does sound stupid. Why not buy Dragon Age: Origins (Ultimate Edition) and if you liked it, then buy Dragon Age 2?

This thread is full of bullshit. To anyone one new to any franchises: don't even ask, just always play the previous games and never, by all means, speedrun. Seriously.

/facepalm
The thing is, this isn't a sequential storyline. It's more like Pants said. An additional storyline in the same universe, similar to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. In a series like ME, I totally agree. This is more like asking if you had to play Daggerfall or Arena to enjoy and fully understand the storyline in Morrowind. Absolutely not. In fact, I hated Daggerfall (It was too wide open, I never got past the first town cause I'd just get lost with no sense of where to go to advance the storyline) but loved Oblivion. Same with Fallout. I didn't like 1 or 2, but I enjoyed 3 a ton. Didn't get New Bug Vegas for obvious reasons. Thinking about picking that up soon.

So it doesn't sound dumb at all. Go for it, get DA2 and if you love it, go and buy DA:Origins.

13ip0lar
03-05-2011, 08:25 AM
The decisions weren't really game changing. Just extra dialogue. If you played without the decisions it was pretty much the same:

- Anderson hating his job either way
- There still being a leader at Tuchanka

Sure they change the story, but it's really just a substitute for something irrelevant.
However, all this still remains to be seen when ME3 hits.

He asked how long it would take to get a sense of the story. So I gave it to him. If he'd had asked how long to explore everything in the game I would have gave him that too.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me on something, but before you get offended and go off typing, it would pay to read the rest of the posts.

I would say in regards to the first comment, I agree but kind of disagree at the same time, and thus just chalk it all up to opinion. Not say your right or I am, just difference of opinion.

As for the second comment, fair enough... still thought it important to stress that he shouldn't skip over the 'fluff', as it were, unless he was seriously agitated with the game and wanted it to be over. Which I would doubt as the majority of people liked it, but then again he could not like it, so...

The thing is, this isn't a sequential storyline. It's more like Pants said. An additional storyline in the same universe, similar to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. In a series like ME, I totally agree. This is more like asking if you had to play Daggerfall or Arena to enjoy and fully understand the storyline in Morrowind. Absolutely not. In fact, I hated Daggerfall (It was too wide open, I never got past the first town cause I'd just get lost with no sense of where to go to advance the storyline) but loved Oblivion. Same with Fallout. I didn't like 1 or 2, but I enjoyed 3 a ton. Didn't get New Bug Vegas for obvious reasons. Thinking about picking that up soon.

So it doesn't sound dumb at all. Go for it, get DA2 and if you love it, go and buy DA:Origins.

Nailed it, I was also thinking it had a lot more to do with Origins than it really did. I'm interested to see how the make it a whole new experience provided its the same setting or time frame, rather, as DA:O. I don't doubt it will be awesome, just curious is all. So time will tell...

Btw addressing your Vegas comment, it was buggy, probably more so than most games, which is disappointing. However, that said, I enjoyed it, and would recommend you pick it up, just as in most games like that, one piece of advice: Save, and save often. ^^

TacticalElusion
03-06-2011, 12:19 AM

/facepalm

First off my reasonnig behind this decision is that I really liked the gameplay of the demo but heard that DAo had a much different caombat style. So if I enjoy the story of DA2 then I will get DAo because if that is the case the combat style wont matter to me.

Second off I checked my local game store and did not see any DAo UE :( and the regular version is $37.99 preowned

Worhammer
03-06-2011, 05:08 AM
First off my reasonnig behind this decision is that I really liked the gameplay of the demo but heard that DAo had a much different caombat style. So if I enjoy the story of DA2 then I will get DAo because if that is the case the combat style wont matter to me.

Second off I checked my local game store and did not see any DAo UE :( and the regular version is $37.99 preowned
Don't buy the regular DA:O - for the price you pay for the original, plus the DLC (you will want it) you could've bought the Ultimate Edition twice.

Get it off amazon if ya have to.

A few months ago, I bought Borderlands used. I liked it so much I started to look at the DLC. Then I remembered that there was a game of the year edition for 30 bucks (I had paid 20 for original) and the DLC totaled 40 bucks. It's the same sort of thing with DA:O UE.

mickjsg
03-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Didn't get New Bug Vegas for obvious reasons. Thinking about picking that up soon.
New Vegas isn't quite a glitchy as I heard - though the glitches seem to be more frequent around the area where the battle at the end takes place.
It's only froze about 5-6 times, and the most common glitch is Rascorpions appearing partly in the ground.
You might also want to be careful if you want the Mysterious Stranger and Miss Fortune Perks, once or twice it's frozen in VATS when they appear.

Besides all that, it's been great!

FSparacino4
03-06-2011, 05:42 AM
I simply sold my DA:O regular edition online for $20 and bought the Ultimate Edition for $40, so I pretty much got all the DLC for $20, which is great considering the amount of DLC for this game.

KillerChris8814
03-06-2011, 06:38 AM

37.99 that's painful I got it used for 360 for 17.99 plus tax. and all the dlc when it was 50% off, I don't know if they still have it but they had the ultimate edition on game stop used for like $40 plus shipping.