PDA

View Full Version : Double Fine developing Sesame Street Kinect game

SPAZZx625
02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah...That's right. The studio behind Psychonauts is developing a Sesame Street game.

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster will be brought to you this autumn by the letters D, F and K. Warner Bros. Interactive announced this morning that the children's television institution will be transformed into an "interactive experience" for Xbox 360's Kinect. The game will be developed by Double Fine Productions, the studio that's recently taken a new path with bite-sized downloadable titles like Costume Quest and Stacking (http://www.joystiq.com/game/stacking).

Accompanied by Cookie Monster, Elmo and other fluffy residents of Sesame Street, you'll explore a "living storybook" (entitled Once Upon a Monster). Parents and children can get active in this journey through a set of minigames that encourage "dancing, jumping, flying and more."

From this initial announcement, it appears the game will be like an interactive Sesame Street episode. If Double Fine nails it, it holds serious potential for the studio that's only come close to having a break-out hit. Of course, if the series does take off (and remember, there's flying!) how is mom supposed to enjoy a quiet moment in the kitchen and a bottle of wine if she actually has to play along? Whatever happened to the good old days of television as babysitter?

Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/15/sesame-street-once-upon-a-monster/)

To be honest I'm kind of curious about this. I love Double Fine and I've been hoping for a quality Kinect title...I haven't watched Sesame Street in probably close to 25 years, though.

Thoughts?

DoctorPolski
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
If done well it will be huge but that's true of all things.

What makes this different is the IP. It could be the start of a long term money-spinner for all concerned if they correctly match what they want to do to the potentially enormous, but specific, target group.

SPAZZx625
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
If done well it will be huge but that's true of all things.

What makes this different is the IP. It could be the start of a long term money-spinner for all concerned if they correctly match what they want to do to the potentially enormous, but specific, target group.
Truth. If this helps fund a sequel to Psychonauts...*drool*

master_shake_350
02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Don't care how weird I will look when people browse my games played, I am buying this straight away!

RichXbox360
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
If this is aimed at 5 year olds, it'll have piece of piss cheevos, could be worth a rent.

Gackt
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
If this is aimed at 5 year olds, it'll have piece of piss cheevos, could be worth a rent.

If it's aimed at 5 year olds it wont be any different then the rest of the Kinect games lol

jtkauff
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Given the fact that I've got a son who is 1 1/2 years old I'm excited to see that a quality developer is doing a Sesame Street game. I know that most of the kids licensed stuff is shovelware so it's good to know I can get him a game that isn't going to be terrible. And being a Doublefine fan myself I'm rather curious to see how this turns out.

RichXbox360
02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
If it's aimed at 5 year olds it wont be any different then the rest of the Kinect games lol

Meh, I'd like to see a 5 year old play some of the stuff on Kinect Sports, or Joyride, or even Dance Central.

Your logic, like you, FAILS!

XWolfxPackX
02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow a really? now elmo can teach me my ABCS!!! wow forget call of duty ima go play elmo :):uzi::locked

institutions
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
The name Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster makes me think of my favorite childhood book, "The Monster at the End of this Book" starring Grover.

You can read it here:
http://smollin.com/michael/tmonstr/mon001.html

Sorry for not adding anything to the thread, but I thought this was far too important not to post. :P

Pyrochaos
02-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Steel Battalion says hi.

And you also get waves from Project Draco, Codename D, Rise of Nightmares, and the Gears of War for Kinect.

HokieJK
03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
this looks like it will be something fun to play with the kids.

DarkReign2021
03-11-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm actually thoroughly shocked at the amount of support this game has received from the community. I would've thought there would be groans about a license like Sesame St getting a videogame, but I've seen almost nothing but positives.

I'm not gonna lie though, I picture Double Fine doing Sesame St and all I can see is Eddie Riggs going ape shit on Big Bird. Lol. I just hope they can get back to their real games soon. Stacking was ok, and I wasn't a big fan of Costume Quest. Psychonauts were both amazing.

There newest game announced, however, looks amazing. Trenched is a Tower Defense game that borrows ideas from Brutal Legend (the RTS aspect and being able to actually go down and control a unit directly, which is a mech (another genre that is sorely lacking on consoles these days.)) It's yet to be revealed if this game will implement the Kinect, but I think there's a lot of potential for it to do so.

Ivanich E Ringpiece
03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
ROFLMAO
How funny will that be...
Just imagine the cheevo's...

Foxxy kyle
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I think its gounna suck ass :p