PDA

View Full Version : Loving Nightmare mode

SonicDPsycho
02-17-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm in the middle of Episodes 4 on Nightmare difficulty, and I have to say that Nightmare seems like the proper difficulty. I breezed through Normal, since Alan's armed to the teeth and monsters go down so easily. However, Nightmare is more tense and strategic, deciding whether to fight or flee from an encounter.

Dare I say, however, that a harder-still mode could be desirable, since I find myself finishing most chapters with enough ammo to celebrate the Fourth of July.

bigbear2face
02-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I breezed through Normal, since Alan's armed to the teeth and monsters go down so easily.

I agree 100% on that statement there. Funny thing is that most posts I've seen on this and other forums always seem to mention that you don't get enough ammo and that enemies take to many shots (AIM AT THE HEAD PEOPLE)...I always found those hilarious since almost everytime I got to an ammo pick up on normal I was still almost full.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to trying it on Nightmare yet...Been to backlogged with other games that I've planned to do first and with new games that keep coming out or that my brother keeps lending me. Just finished his copy of Oblivion and working on his Fable III now. Then Bulletstorm comes out on Tuesday...Hopefully I can finish that quickly and then finish the Undead Nightmare pack for Red Dead then move onto finishing all my Alan Wake stuff before Portal 2 (or something else I want to play) comes out. Oh and I'll be putting a ton of time into Just Cause 2 as soon as my brother finishes with it (and before moving onto Alan Wake probably). :(

rabies
02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Playing on hard the first time around is the way to go...the combination of learning the game for the first time and havigng to make good use of your items (not easy since you don't know the game that well) makes it fairly tough/fun.

By the time you do nightmare mode, you are too skilled at the game...i didn't find it challenging at all...i even got the gunless wonder achievement on nightmare mode. I only died a couple times..mostly because the chainsaw guys would kill you in 1-shot if you were unlucky enouh to get hit.

FSparacino4
02-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Managing ammo is a moot point as it is much easier to run by the Taken, rather than fight them. I never found myself low on ammo, ever.

Shade42
02-20-2011, 05:37 AM
I've only just started my Nightmare mode run but I'm already surprised how much easier it is than I expected. The guide and other comments kept telling me how enemies took 4 or more shots to go down and there was less ammo but I think playing through on Normal and the dlcs trained me well enough for Nightmare to be pretty easy. I'm not noticing any difference in the number of Taken popping and only a small difference in how many hits they can take. Counter that with knowing how to use flares better and not being to proud to run and cruising through.

thatgamer
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
This game seriously freaks me out. There is no way I'm ever playing on Nightmare.

Glemt
03-13-2011, 09:02 PM
My hat off to you! I am not such a fortunate traveller I reckon. So far the normal mode was easily manageable indeed -although it made me jumpy from time to time- but the nightmare mode has me sweating and swearing at some moments.

Eggnogga
05-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Over the course of the last 2 nights I've made it through the first 4 episodes on Nightmare. Now, I wouldn't say its easy, but its definitely not anything stressful. I've probably died about 8 times total, and those are usually multi-deaths in the same place... just needed to try something else to get through the section. Silly parts too.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, the checkpoints in this game are so liberal, it adds to the ease.

I'll finish it up tomorrow. Excited.

edit -- Finished it yesterday afternoon. Only part that really bothered me was the bridge w/ the poltergeist objects in Episode 6. That was actually frustrating, and was the only part in the whole game.

angelus0901
05-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm playing Nightmare right now and it's so hard!!! I just started Episode 3 and I died 5+ times... :mad: