PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Cardinals

Will Metropolis
06-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Let's discuss the joke that the St. Louis Cardinals are becoming. They are my favorite team, but this year is pitiful. What are your opinions on each of these topics?

1.) How can a major league team expect to be good and make the playoffs with three relievers in the rotation? (Braden Looper, Brad Thompson, Todd Wellemeyer)

2.) With Jim Edmonds going on the disabled list, should the Cardinals bring up Rick Ankiel and give him a shot? He already has 19 homeruns this year in the minors and is aging. If he comes up and doesn't do good, he's out of waiver options.

3.) Should the Cardinals give up and go ahead and put in all the youngsters to get playing time and experience for next year? (Such as SS Brendan Ryan, RHP Blake Hawksworth, OF Skip Schumaker, 2B Edgar Gonzalez, RHP Mark Worrell, and probably most importantly, OF Colby Rasmus)

4.) Should the Cardinals try moving Jason Isringhausen to the rotation (as he used to be) and put Troy Percival as the closer? Should they trade Isringhausen for a starter that is going to be a free agent (such as Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia) and put Troy Percival at closer to make a run at the playoffs?

Will Metropolis
06-21-2007, 03:26 AM
1.) They can't. They have to get some pitching, whether it be via trade, waivers, or even the minors.

2.) Give Rick Ankiel a shot. If he doesn't make it, he's too old to be a prospect anyway. If he doesn't make it, let him go on to another team so he can play before it's time for him to retire!

3.) No! I think they should bring up OF Rick Ankiel, 2B Edgar Gonzalez, and OF Colby Rasmus. It's time to start getting Rasmus ready to take over for Jim Edmonds. SS Brendan Ryan and OF Skip Schumaker are already there. If room is needed for Gonzalez and Rasmus, drop Ryan Ludwick and send RHP Andy Cavazos back to AAA.

4.) I think the Cardinals should explore trading Jason Isringhausen for a free agent to be with my favorite being C.C. Sabathia. That'd mean hoping that Percival can still close. But it's more important to have good starting pitching than a closer. Also, Chris Carpenter and Mark Mulder should come back soon. Carpenter, Mulder, Sabathia, and Looper could be our four man rotation, moving Wainwright back to closer if we made the playoffs.

Carpenter, Mulder, Sabathia, Looper, Wainwright sounds like a MUCH BETTER rotation than our current Kip Wells, Brad Thompson, Anthony Reyes, Adam Wainwright, Todd Wellemeyer.

Clipse 2
06-21-2007, 03:43 AM
1. The Cardinals screwed up during the off season when it came to pitching, Suppan should have been kept, but piss on Marque and Weaver they just suck anyway. For the situation they are in right now Loopers is fine, Thompson sucks and pisses me of to watch about the same as Wells or Reyes. A trade should be made for pitching, see below.

2. Jim Edmonds is a freaking joke and the front office executives should shoot themselves for resigning him to 9.5 million per year for two years. Granted he hussles when he's in the outfield but god forbid if he freaking runs to first base and makes it. I've wanted Edmonds off the team for two years now, he's old, he sucks, and they don't owe him any loyalty so trade him for some pitching.

3. Rasmus needs to replace Edmonds for the year period, then void out Edmonds contract or buy it out. Gonzalez would be useable at 2nd, but don't swap out Eckstein for someone else, he just needs to get off the DL and get a spark.

4. Isringhausen should be traded, he's getting up there in age and what went down last year pissed me off. You don't play hurt, you don't keep that a secret when you're in that position and I'm very glad he was out for the World Series. Had Isringhausen been pitching we would have lost plan and simple.

With the start that they've had this year I've only stomached a few games, every other time I get pissed off because Encarnacion is all the freaking time swinging his damn bat at balls he shouldn't be. Thank god I'm also a Yankee's fan and they have their shit together now, maybe if the Cards follow suit I'll want to watch more games.

DM FoE
06-21-2007, 04:31 AM
1. Go Tigers!

KewlBrettC
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Right now is not the time to be a stl fan. they are having so much trouble with their team everywhere they look (ex. Carpenter on DL, Hancocks death) they just are apparently destine not to go anywhere this year.

Wolf
06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
1.) How can a major league team expect to be good and make the playoffs with three relievers in the rotation? (Braden Looper, Brad Thompson, Todd Wellemeyer) It's really a question of durability. I don't know much about Cardinals pitching, but if those are mostly set-up men, they should be able to finish up the game. Of course, this leaves no room for error should a pitch blow it in the 2nd. It's really not good planning on the Cardinals's (this is correct) part, but it could work, in theory.

2.) With Jim Edmonds going on the disabled list, should the Cardinals bring up Rick Ankiel and give him a shot? He already has 19 homeruns this year in the minors and is aging. If he comes up and doesn't do good, he's out of waiver options. Could we actually make him a reliever? If not, I'd still bring him up, but I'd sure miss the Ankielometer in Sports Illustrated.

3.) Should the Cardinals give up and go ahead and put in all the youngsters to get playing time and experience for next year? (Such as SS Brendan Ryan, RHP Blake Hawksworth, OF Skip Schumaker, 2B Edgar Gonzalez, RHP Mark Worrell, and probably most importantly, OF Colby Rasmus)Not yet. If it's August and they're 15 back, go for it. Luckily, their division is so crappy that they can still even make the playoffs.

4.) Should the Cardinals try moving Jason Isringhausen to the rotation (as he used to be) and put Troy Percival as the closer? Should they trade Isringhausen for a starter that is going to be a free agent (such as Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia) and put Troy Percival at closer to make a run at the playoffs? I can't really answer this one with any accuracy, but trades out of desperation rarely work out.