PDA

View Full Version : Homefront: The Book version

HeavenSoldier
02-21-2011, 03:33 AM
You know, that paper-based model that is its own stand-alone system. Requires ample lighting, hands-on controls etc. Oh and you can find these "books" at places like the 'library' and 'bookstore'.

But yes, there is a book on the story of Homefront. I don't know which came first really, the game-based-on-book or vice-versa. But regardless, I'm really taking a liking to the book so far. It's not like it's literary gold, but it's a decent read and certainly makes me think about the future of the country. Take the Great Republic of Korea out of the equation and I could entirely see those events happening as far economics and such are concerned.

Anyone else giving this a read?

Lord Yamikage
02-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Doesn't the book explain the year and/or the month the story take place? I'm sure then we can determine which come first. I may have to look for this since the story is very appealing to me.

HeavenSoldier
02-21-2011, 05:19 AM
The book starts out before America is attacked, and explains why Korea got so strong. Basically, Kim Jong Un took like half of asia and made the Great Republic of Korea. It does go into some of the war also, as I'm only a third...maybe a forth...in, and the EMP just hit.

SPOILER

GRK consists of: Japan, indonesia, philipennes, vietnam, and south korea. After taking japan, and south korea, their tech skyrocketed.

Kronos1982
02-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Read it, and loved it. It's because of this book that I went on a Kindle shopping spree for a bunch of post apocalyptic and post world war fiction. Makes for an exciting read.

I really hope the game gives some detail about where "The Voice of Freedom" is and what happened to those he left behind. Maybe even run into him. Obviously you meet Boone at the hideout, but that's the only one I know is in the game as well as the book at this point. The OP knows what I'm talking about ;)

Lord Yamikage
02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
[....]

I really hope the game gives some detail about where "The Voice of Freedom" is and what happened to those he left behind. Maybe even run into him. Obviously you meet Boone at the hideout, but that's the only one I know is in the game as well as the book at this point. The OP knows what I'm talking about ;)

Whoa, whoa, friend, you should put up some warning sign or something. I didn't thought you were going to discuss some minor information regarding the story. Or I think you were. I didn't finished reading the entire post because I didn't know what else is written on it.:p

HeavenSoldier
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Read it, and loved it. It's because of this book that I went on a Kindle shopping spree for a bunch of post apocalyptic and post world war fiction. Makes for an exciting read.

Yeah...it also disappoints me about Hopper, he was cool. They don't say anything but it's kinda obvious. If you wanna know what I mean, check the video below.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-goliath-homefront/710263

SPOILER (for video)

Boone at 2:25
Hopper at 2:55

stuhp
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
I take it John Milius was behind the book? How would you say his writing stacks up to his directing?

EDIT: thread revive, sorry :o

HeavenSoldier
03-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Idk, I need to watch Red Dawn/Apocalypse Now. Though the age of the movies deters me from doing that. I thought it was fairly decent writing, and was a bit of a nice segway into the game proper (timeline-wise). I do hope to see some people from the book in the game (aside from those in the vid) such as the main protagonist.

Darth Taral
03-10-2011, 01:42 AM
At one point in the beginning of the book you meet the protagonist of the Single Player Campaign when the guy Ben Walker who later becomes the Voice of Freedom goes to the LA Arena to cover the performance of Saint Lorenzo. Anyway I read the whole book loved it I can not wait for the game and I also hope that we get to find out somemore info about some of the charters in the book as well.

Darth Taral
03-10-2011, 01:53 AM
I don't know which came first really, the game-based-on-book or vice-versa. But regardless, I'm really taking a liking to the book so far. It's not like it's literary gold, but it's a decent read and certainly makes me think about the future of the country. Take the Great Republic of Korea out of the equation and I could entirely see those events happening as far economics and such are concerned.

Anyone else giving this a read?

The game itself came first, or should I say that John Milius came up with the story line of the game first. Then Raymond Benson collaberated with John Milius for the story line of the book. Although if you want to go off of a pure time line aspect then the book takes place befor the game but I am sure you have already figured that out. The Book takes place at the same time as the Multiplayer aspect of the game which is called the Occupation Wars.

The_Iceman2288
03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Nearing the end of the book, loving it, the first 100 or so pages were amazingly gripping.

HeavenSoldier
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Well I finally saw Red Dawn, and I think his work here on Homefront is definatly better. But it's also more current and movies back then were a bit cheap.

Anyways, minor spoiler here

There is talk about the VoF in the campaign, though I don't know if you ever meet him. I just remember watching someone play chapter 1 and he was mentioned "Hey, did you hear the Voice of Freedom broadcast last night?". You also run into some of the resistance fighters (as already mentioned in this thread)

stuhp
03-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Well I finally saw Red Dawn, and I think his work here on Homefront is definatly better. But it's also more current and movies back then were a bit cheap.

Well that's always a given :) But, considering how it looked to people back then and his current work, I take it that it's up to snuff then. Gonna go pick it up when I get the chance.

You think Barnes and Noble carries it? :D