PDA

View Full Version : Demo is up people!

gjury
02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey everyone just let you all know the demo is know up !! :Bounce:

Get downloading for the 1 million mark for the free dlc items!

It will be under "Game Marketplace" -> "Titles A-Z" -> "D" -> "Dragon Age 2" -> "Get Trial"

Your Welcome

Grizzled

H2O
02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
cheers!

Got the day off work today so i've been waiting for this all moning. :)

gjury
02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
cheers!

Got the day off work today so i've been waiting for this all moning. :)

same here mate got it on download now...

If anyone is curious about the size of the demo its a hefty 1.98 gb :eek:

That bodes well for a hopefully long demo!

FSparacino4
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Can't wait got this and the new NFS: HP DLC hitting XBL today.

BloodGodAlucard
02-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I just added this to my download list. I'll jump into this later today after I get back from buying Bulletstorm.

Mr Bungle
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately hasn't come up here yet (Australia) but I am waiting with anticipation.

Anybody tried it out yet?

surreal_82
02-22-2011, 12:19 PM
almost finished dl, just want to play it, hope its long, and will try all character builds if it allows it!

gjury
02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
about to play now people let you know what its like in a bit!

gjury
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
From initial impressions, the demo appears to be the start of the game.

It also appears to be much more action orientated and cinematic compared to DA:O...

Mr Bungle
02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
From initial impressions, the demo appears to be the start of the game.

It also appears to be much more action orientated and cinematic compared to DA:O...

Cool beans. Let me know what it's like after you finished the demo will ya ;)

gjury
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Cool beans. Let me know what it's like after you finished the demo will ya ;)

will do mate! ;)

gjury
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Ok guys just finished the demo and I can say it is really good, action packed and good graphics wise. It is a bit more gory than DA:O, but from one thing I couldn't see was whether i unlocked the items for the full game...

surreal_82
02-22-2011, 01:19 PM
i think you have to be logged into the ea/bioware social site whilst playng to log completion etc to receive weapons, will confirm when i finishe play through as should then appear in the list that shouw staff or parlathan and the belt etc

gjury
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
i think you have to be logged into the ea/bioware social site whilst playng to log completion etc to receive weapons, will confirm when i finishe play through as should then appear in the list that shouw staff or parlathan and the belt etc

hang on a sec mate i'll look because i am logged into EA account on the xbox in the demo....

EDIT: Yep got it, it's called "Hayder's Razor"

gjury
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Right, here's my review of the demo

From the start you can pick which class you want to be (mage, warrior or rogue) and also choose male or female (I went for male warrior...)

I managed to level up a few times in the demo and the skill trees are quite good and easy to navigate. They are also informative and you can look at abilities you can't even unlock yet so you can almost plan what you are going to unlock next. It also gives you the required specifications for a particular skill on the skill tree if you want to work towards it.

Gameplay wise, in my opinion, it's a lot faster than DA:O and there are a lot more enemies attacking at the same time (they did mention that this was one of the new aspects in interviews with the developers) and abilities wise, the LT action wheel is still in this from DA:O and the using A to attack basic and B,Y,X to use special attacks which obviously have a cool-down time. I assume they left these mechanics in because: 1. Its easy to understand for new gamers to the Dragon Age franchise and 2. People who played DA:O can jump right in and feel comfortable for the get go.

Another aspect that has been left alone was the speech choice system, but it has been give a visual facelift with icons in the centre of the choice wheel so you know what sort of reaction you could get if you choose a particular speech choice. Obviously they would leave this alone because it is tried and tested to success from DA:O to Mass Effect 1 & 2

Overall, it lasted around 45 mins from start to finish, choosing and listening to all cutscenes and talking scenes and makes me want DA:2 even more now!!!

Grizzled

RagingClue
02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Looks amazing downloading now, cant wait!

surreal_82
02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Just finished first play through as rogue. Very Impressed, a little annoyed the inventory screen was locked, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyable, and combat will be much harder with the faster pace, didnt realise you had to mash A just to keep hitting normally a la action hack and slash, but i loved it... cant wait for full game, may try a rogue archer next!

Gun-Nut
02-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure how I feel on the game I enjoyed it and I love the fact you have a voiced character not but the combat just seemed off to me maybe it was the speed since it has changed but think I could get use to it with more time.

I think I may have to go pre-order this now though.

macneto
02-22-2011, 03:16 PM
anyone have any issues with the demo freezing? i froze up on me during the second fight with .....a returning character from the first game.....i just unlocked hail of arrows and when i went to use it, it froze up

Jagger O Riley
02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I only started playing it about 10-20 minutes ago and it's amazing imo! Really enjoying it.

Captain Urahara
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I have it on background download now on my 360. Sadly I have to work all day today, but I can play it when I get home.

Then while I play it I can download the PC and PS3 versions to help contribute to the 1 million mark.

lordskorrkeeper
02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Loved the demo, check on the http://social.bioware.com/
log-in and check Your registered game promotions, the Unlock will show even though there was no indication in game it unlocked.
Going to play this demo again this time prob a mage <3 fist time I was a Two-handed warrior.

lordskorrkeeper
02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
anyone have any issues with the demo freezing? i froze up on me during the second fight with .....a returning character from the first game.....i just unlocked hail of arrows and when i went to use it, it froze up

Very Laggy at times but no freezing for me.

lordskorrkeeper
02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
nm demo is up for PC now aswell.

francisrossi
02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
I liked it. I think the demo size is more to do with having all six characters available, rather than the length. That and finding room for Isabela's chest. She's got a touch bigger since her days in The Pearl...

Emcee Shadow
02-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I downloaded this demo this morning before work and have been thinking about it ALL day and the wait was worth it!! This demo was far better than I had expected! Only problem is, that now I really can't wait for my DAII! :D

MASS DOMINATION
02-23-2011, 01:13 AM
the demo rocked my rocked my socks off! I've been finishing up DA:O dlc so i can fully complete it before DA2 comes out. As soon as i started the demo i was amazed at how much the combat has been revamped. i played as a female rogue (same as in DA:O) and i was jumping around, slicing and dicing, warping around, blood and guts flying everywhere...it was crazy! This game seriously looks amazing and i love every improvement. the skill trees and stats are simple and so easy to understand compared to the mess DA:O was. the graphics aren't the best, but they are a solid improvement over the original and thats all need. the length of the demo was great and really gave me a sense of where the story is heading and a taste of each character class, play-style and unlocks.

1 question. how do i know if I've unlocked the item for completing the demo? I didn't see any notice pop up and i'm not sure if I've unlocked anything.

francisrossi
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
1 question. how do i know if I've unlocked the item for completing the demo? I didn't see any notice pop up and i'm not sure if I've unlocked anything.

You'll have to go to the Bioware site: http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php

Mr Bungle
02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks gjury for letting us know :D

Internet is slow at the moment (used up our monthly usage :() so I'll have to wait until next Monday to play it.

Wondering whether to watch the video of the demo someone elsed posted on here or not... :confused:

FSparacino4
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks gjury for letting us know :D

Internet is slow at the moment (used up our monthly usage :() so I'll have to wait until next Monday to play it.

Wondering whether to watch the video of the demo someone elsed posted on here or not... :confused:

I will be posting a demo playthrough on here later today when I get home to play it. Since you can't download it at the moment, put in a class request and I will play it.

Mr Bungle
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I will be posting a demo playthrough on here later today when I get home to play it. Since you can't download it at the moment, put in a class request and I will play it.

Just the warrior would be good :)

francisrossi
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
The powered-up rogue was great. The backstab ability! Still, I prefer being an archer. Oddly, I found the warrior hardest. My favourite was the mage though. Odd how you lose your brother if you play as a man and your sister if you play as a girl.

H2O
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Odd how you lose your brother if you play as a man and your sister if you play as a girl.

I was a male Mage and i'm sure i lost my sister. :confused:

Captain Urahara
02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
If you play as a Warrior or Rogue, your brother will die. If you play as a Mage, your sister will die.

It depends on your class, NOT your gender.

sweatdog
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Spoiler alert for those who haven't played the demo.

Started playing the demo last night, but had to go to sleep so I could come in to work today. I had no idea how much further the demo was going to last. I kind of thought it was going to finish after the dragon turned into the lady and she offered to help you escape, but it continued to another part of the game in a town. How much longer was the demo? I probably would've have stuck with it if I was near the end, but I had no way of knowing. I'll probably play it again this evening so I can complete the demo and get the item. I wish I could've saved my progress, though.

I like the fact that the leveling up and gaining abilities was pretty similar to other BioWare games, but with the different ability trees, it's easier to see how to progress to the abilities you want. However, I was not thrilled with the combat. It felt more hack-n-slash and less like an RPG type combat. I don't think taking the combat control towards games like Dynasty Warriors or Ninety-Nine Nights is a good direction to go. Still, I'll probably get the game shortly after it comes out.

H2O
02-24-2011, 04:17 PM
However, I was not thrilled with the combat. It felt more hack-n-slash and less like an RPG type combat. I don't think taking the combat control towards games like Dynasty Warriors or Ninety-Nine Nights is a good direction to go. Still, I'll probably get the game shortly after it comes out.

I don't get this, are some people playing a different demo to me? :confused:

The ONLY changes are attacks are faster and you need to press A for each basic attack instead of once to target an enemy.

All the core tactics are still there.

Also it's been mentioned that in the full game you may be able to switch back to the one press to attack mechanic from DA:O.

sweatdog
02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't get this, are some people playing a different demo to me? :confused:

The ONLY changes are attacks are faster and you need to press A for each basic attack instead of once to target an enemy.

All the core tactics are still there.

Also it's been mentioned that in the full game you may be able to switch back to the one press to attack mechanic from DA:O.

It seemed like to me that the focus was less on small party on small party battles and more on facing waves of multiple monsters. While hacking through the hordes was effective at first, you had to change tactics once you came across the large ogre (in the real story). I found, in order to minimize damage, I would run in during a pause in attacks and hit the ogre, but run away when he would attack. This dragged out the battle and didn't feel particularly fun to me. If I noticed correctly, you don't carry over your potions to the town, so I'll probably just keep hacking away at the ogre when I play again, and use potions as necessary, but that doesn't seem very RPGish either.

francisrossi
02-25-2011, 01:29 AM
If you play as a Warrior or Rogue, your brother will die. If you play as a Mage, your sister will die.

It depends on your class, NOT your gender.

Ah right. I played a female mage and male rogue and warrior. Makes sense, as sis is a mage and bro is a warrior.

francisrossi
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM
It seemed like to me that the focus was less on small party on small party battles and more on facing waves of multiple monsters. While hacking through the hordes was effective at first, you had to change tactics once you came across the large ogre (in the real story). I found, in order to minimize damage, I would run in during a pause in attacks and hit the ogre, but run away when he would attack. This dragged out the battle and didn't feel particularly fun to me. If I noticed correctly, you don't carry over your potions to the town, so I'll probably just keep hacking away at the ogre when I play again, and use potions as necessary, but that doesn't seem very RPGish either.

You won't go straight to the town in the full game, so potions won't be a problem there.

sweatdog
02-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I played the demo to completion last night, and this time through I tried to use a little more tactics in the battles. Still feels a little hack-n-slash for my taste, but I feel I'm getting the hang of it a little better, as the battle with the giant ogre went much faster. But, damn, if the story isn't starting to drag me in. I guess I'll be buying it.

francisrossi
02-25-2011, 11:42 PM
One thing I noticed is their insistence on calling you "The Champion" instead of Hawke, which sounded really silly. I can understand you being called "The Hero of Ferelden" in the first game, as you had no official name, but here you have a surname, like Shepherd in Mass Effect.

I hope that's sorted out in the game proper.

Eternaltriumph
02-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Ehh, that didn't bug me too much. The way I saw it, it's how people would speak in reality. It's a sign of authority, power or respect. Use the military for example.

People don't call Generals by their name most of the time. When that general was a grunt, sure. I will imagine your team will call you "Hawke" during the game. As you rise to the top though, you stop being "Hawke" and start being "General".

People will address you by your given title to show a sign of respect, or acknowledgement for the deeds you've done.

Hell...if I heard a true tale of someone who slayed a dragon, I'd sure as shit call them "Champion" before their real name. >_>