PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age II - Demo 1st Impressions

Jumnious
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
<spoilers>

So yea, it is definitely worth downloading and playing through. Everything is improved from the 1st DA. Combat has kinda turned into a mash :abut: alot but it certainly is better then just clicking :abut: once and watch me kill something.

Graphics! Awesome... facial details and speech movement was great. Voice work is just as good if not better. Environment and background music is more detailed and fitting.

Seeing Flemeth was badass; her new character model is ridiculous!

Isabella's boobs were awesome.

edit: I played as a warrior and it was awesome to be during that first couple of minutes to experience it at a high level. I don't know how it is for rogues and mages; but it was pretty impressive...

x GrumpyNinja x
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
awesome. thats my opinion. cant wait to pick this one up. i was gunna get Bulletstorm or Homefront but i think im gunna save my money and role with Dragon Age 2 forsure. also do i have to be signed in to the EA website to get my in game weapons er wuh cuz i dont remember reading a message on the screen about unlocking a weapon.

13ip0lar
02-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I would say ~~~~~~SPOILERS~~~~~ but if your reading this thread or intend to post, chances are you have played said demo. So lolz...

Right when I seen/heard Flemeth, I coulda popped a nerd boner. I couldn't pin the voice at first, but I knew that I had heard it before, after thinking really hard, and trying to focus on the dialogue at the same time it, I remembered who it was. Kate Mulgrew, aka Katherine Janeway, captain of the starship Voyager.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000550/

I know, I'm a nerd, but Voyager was by far in my opinion one of the best Star Treks. Always had a thing for Janeway, this from a 22, and younger at the time dude lol. Anyways, I swore that the chick questioning the dwarf at the start was the actress that played Sydney Bristow's mom's sister, aka her aunt on Alias, and more recently Jack's ex-wife on 30 rock...Gonna go confirm my suspicions now...

Hmm doesn't look like it, but I swear to God, she sounds just like this chick. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000618/

Either way I don't know how close to the end of the demo I am, but I have to say as always BioWare does excellent work, and the voice acting is superb. I really wanna play this game, but I will most likely hold out for another ultimate edition. I just got DA:Origins but 2 months ago, ultimate edition of course, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do agree that thus far I'm kinda bummed you can't choose your race, but atleast you can still pick a mage, rogue, or warrior. I also have to speak up about one simple fact/trend I do not enjoy on BioWare's part, it seems as games progress (Mass Effect & Dragons Age) They remove more RPG elements, like mages seem to only have what 5-6 trees? With about the same number of talents? Wth is that? I think Origins alone had that many, then when you specilazed into something opened another tier, not to mention the addition of Awakening. That said maybe more will open up as you progress, and tress will expand or there will be 'new' specs, which I assume is the case. I just hope they don't make this more into a game-movie, and stay true to the RPG genre. My two cents...but overall, I'm truly excited and cannot wait to play this game in its entirety. ^^

FSparacino4
02-22-2011, 09:04 PM
awesome. thats my opinion. cant wait to pick this one up. i was gunna get Bulletstorm or Homefront but i think im gunna save my money and role with Dragon Age 2 forsure. also do i have to be signed in to the EA website to get my in game weapons er wuh cuz i dont remember reading a message on the screen about unlocking a weapon.

You need to be loggined in to your EA account in order for it to both (a) count towards the one million downloads and (b) to have your item for completing the demo linked to your account. There is no message telling you that it is unlocked but go to http://social.bioware.com (http://social.bioware.com) and log in to check and see what you have coming to you.

x GrumpyNinja x
02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
You need to be loggined in to your EA account in order for it to both (a) count towards the one million downloads and (b) to have your item for completing the demo linked to your account. There is no message telling you that it is unlocked but go to http://social.bioware.com (http://social.bioware.com) and log in to check and see what you have coming to you.

o coo thanks. yea i read the other thread about all the bonus stuff. so i signed in and did all the bonus things i can. i also went played the demo again as a rouge. its was way more sicker than warrior class. gunna stick with the rogue class just like in the first one. thanks again for this.

FrankXnBeanZ
02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
just finished the demo ( was logged into Bioware ) where does it show the item info on the social network ???

thanks,

FnB

ShawnSig
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Man, I'd love to play the demo but it won't let me because of this stupid family pack, it says its restricted because of the content so it won't start the download. I tried going on a silver account but I can't download it unless I have gold. I got my brother to change his settings so I could download Adult stuff??? Ya, Adult stuff, but it still doesn't work. Horseshit

wright3034
02-23-2011, 01:19 AM
i love it, the only thing is that the graphics seem a little arcadey. they are better than the first dragon age, but also more arcadey which im not sure if i like yet. the combat is better for sure, hated the whole press a once and sit there thing. the leveling up looks the same, which is cool because i liked the way they did the first one. im not looking forward to the typical bioware flood of dlc, and having to wait for either a deal of the week type situation or GOTY/Ultimate edition. either way tho, im PSYCHED!!!

Pearson
02-23-2011, 02:29 AM
It looks as though that I'm the only one having problems with the demo. I keep getting my ass kicked trying to fight 20 Hurlocks while trying to deal with the Ogre.

I JUST D0 WORK
02-23-2011, 04:35 AM
It looks as though that I'm the only one having problems with the demo. I keep getting my ass kicked trying to fight 20 Hurlocks while trying to deal with the Ogre.

i had the same problem. i gave up after 3 tries im gonna go back to it tomorrow

M a DSCHuSZ
02-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Totaly AWESOME.... Nothing less :woop:

Stevey Boy2006
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
<spoilers>

So yea, it is definitely worth downloading and playing through. Everything is improved from the 1st DA. Combat has kinda turned into a mash :abut: alot but it certainly is better then just clicking :abut: once and watch me kill something.

This is also known as "watering down"

Graphics! Awesome... facial details and speech movement was great. Voice work is just as good if not better. Environment and background music is more detailed and fitting.

Are we playing the same game? The graphics are a lot less detailed

edit: I played as a warrior and it was awesome to be during that first couple of minutes to experience it at a high level. I don't know how it is for rogues and mages; but it was pretty impressive...

The character of Flemeth doesnt carry on from DA so its another fail.

In short- well done Bioware youve ruined the classic Dragon Age

Michael Logan
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Dragon Age is hardly a classic, what is it, 2 years old?

Stevey Boy2006
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Alright then "future classic" Dragon Age:Origins- my point still stands;if you liked DA:O but prefer this, you are an idiot

Jumnious
02-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Mashing 'A' allows the individual to switch targets at ease without any downtime in dps 'damage per second' and also use special attacks. The old Dragon Age would pause the character while switching targets and the console version was a little harder to get the correct target. The original DA for console was ported from PC; while DA2 was made with intentions of being for console hence a smoother and more interactive experience.

Obviously not. Having been playing DA1 last week and now just played DA2 the detail in the faces, armor pieces especially, the the character model of Flemeth's dragon form also received a significant upgrade. Then again I have a beautiful TV that delivers...

How so? The Flemeth the Grey Warden met was just a kindly old hag with some whispers around that she was the Witch of the Wilds. It wasn't until Morrigan's quest that we truly discovered the true identity of Flemeth. So for all pretenses, I'm sure Flemeth didn't want to alarm the G.Wardens?

As for the Flemeth in DA2, she had every intention of revealing her true form as a dragon so isn't it understandable that she wouldn't pop out of her dragbon form looking like a hag? She is the Witch of the Wilds. Why should she just resort to rags and grey hair just to amuse the whining of nerds? Also, the new character model also was to show off the beautiful graphic updates too...

:)

Jumnious
02-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I will admit though, it does feel like Fable III with stats/attributes/leveling being simplified; then again, it probably is just the new UI. I wish I had a chance to play with the Inventory system and see how fatigue and the likes play out.

Stevey Boy2006
02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Come on, admit the truth its watered down rubbish:(

Edit: Oh and I play my games on a 40" Sony Bravia so my TV "delivers" when I meant less detail I mean the backgrounds, the floor, you know the game world, it just looks all bland

Eternaltriumph
02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
*spoilers, but I'm assuming we all know them by now*

Flemeth is a multicentury old witch who can not only shapeshift, but transfer her life energies into another human before her body expires to pretty much live forever. Arguing over that she doesn't look like an hippie woman because she lives in a forest is, pardon my language, fucking retarded.

Oh my. Let me complain they changed a character model so someone who can turn into a dragon looks a little more...intimidating? Badass? Presentable? Nitpick a great trial more. Please.

Bioware itself said they were not happy with Dragon Age:O playstyle because it was suited MUCH more toward PC and had to rush a few changes to make it to console. Having them make the changes they want, changes that have pleased the majority of their fanbase btw, is pretty great.

And if you have to resort to nitpicking FLEMETH? It had to be amazing.

On topic, I enjoyed it. I went from "waiting until a price drop" to "going to reserve it". :)

Jumnious
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Come on, admit the truth its watered down rubbish

DA1 - PC game ported to console; minor issues and glitches. However, game kept alot of PC style of play.

DA2 - Created for Console/PC which appeases to both audiences. Not simply point and click, but smash/slash like most generic console combat games.

As much as I enjoyed the first one I didn't download any of the DLC; I played through, enjoyed being a warrior and a rogue and when I beat it twice I put it down. Am I casual? No, I just play the game and when I'm done with it I play the next game due to the obvious intention of being entertained. DA2 was entertaining...

Did Dragon Age lose PC elements when the Second release was made for the console? Yes. Does it have improved mechanics for the console? Yes. We lost some, but we also gained some.

Stevey Boy2006
02-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Dont get me wrong Im not cancelling my pre-order or anything, Im angry and upset with what Bioware have done with one of my favourite game series and these are just my impressions of the demo.

I dont like the art direction, the animations are stupid, I was looking forward to this so much and now Im not

Its more Dynasty Warrior than Dragn Age- and that IMO is a travesty

neubourn
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
just finished the demo ( was logged into Bioware ) where does it show the item info on the social network ???

thanks,

FnB

Underneath your picture is a list of options, select "Profile" then "your registered game promotions."

13ip0lar
02-23-2011, 08:08 PM
i had the same problem. i gave up after 3 tries im gonna go back to it tomorrow

That's what you get for playing DA:Origins on Casual! Suckers! Nah but seriously, I was pissed I couldn't play the demo on hard. It's how I played every part of the original, no matter how irritating at times. ^^

surreal_82
02-24-2011, 11:04 AM
to all the peeps saying watered down... how so... yes for you character to actively atack you must mash a, which is vaguely annoying, but how about the fact that on consoles there is no longer a 1 second lag on every command or just spinning the camera around and that your characters wouldnt move as soon as you wanted them too... Lets see the 'watered' down version played on nightmare, with no tactics used and just mashing the buttons like a generic action game... bet ya wont get through the whole game! The entire combat system is still there and the command system for it is almost identicle to DA:O, just works faster and smoother now. You can still pause the action swap between all characters to order commands and set up party tactics.
As you could in the first, the main difference is they have added more flair to the animations in combat, to make it more visually appealing, i loved DA:O but found the combat clunky on Consoles, this is much better, and cant see how you say its watered down, combat wise, as everything is there from the original, except that you dont just press a once and your character attacks for infinity till said bad guys die or you die.

13ip0lar
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
to all the peeps saying watered down... how so... yes for you character to actively atack you must mash a, which is vaguely annoying, but how about the fact that on consoles there is no longer a 1 second lag on every command or just spinning the camera around and that your characters wouldnt move as soon as you wanted them too... Lets see the 'watered' down version played on nightmare, with no tactics used and just mashing the buttons like a generic action game... bet ya wont get through the whole game! The entire combat system is still there and the command system for it is almost identicle to DA:O, just works faster and smoother now. You can still pause the action swap between all characters to order commands and set up party tactics.
As you could in the first, the main difference is they have added more flair to the animations in combat, to make it more visually appealing, i loved DA:O but found the combat clunky on Consoles, this is much better, and cant see how you say its watered down, combat wise, as everything is there from the original, except that you dont just press a once and your character attacks for infinity till said bad guys die or you die.

Fair points, however, I would like to attack the way you post. Would it kill you to use some proper punctuation and some spaces? The whole damn thing reads like one bad run on sentence, and had I been a bigger snob, I would've totally ignored it.

That in mind, I just really hope they don't 'water it down' in terms of the RPG elements. I didn't realize this till some time after playing ME2, but in fact the talent trees were limited, unlike ME 1. Where you could practically spec anyone you wanted, and make a hybrid class of whatever you fancied. In ME2, you were locked into a class, and could only vary your build so much. Not to mention I don't believe you could respec, which I wish more games had options for. I hated that on my first playthrough of DA:O, I had to wait till Awakening to respec the toon the way I wanted, after learning the game more and what worked.

Also moving back to the ME1 to ME2 example, if anyone recalls they had awesome weapon customization, and when I say awesome I am simply referring to the RPG way it was handled and the variety of stats you could improve and use to upgrade a gun. That was non existent in ME2, it was pretty much a shooter with some RPG elements that were tacked on. That said I love ME 1 & 2 and look forward to the third, but I sincerely hope they stay true to the RPG elements that have stood the test of time, and that people like myself love, which I sure I'm not in the majority, when I say I miss them.

iToastMan
02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Not gonna quote 13ip0lar as its to long but thats what im talking about :)
But yeah, i didnt find a problem with a way the post you 'attacked' :P
I agree with the thing about mass effects, i only played a bit of mass effect to get the start of the story as i was told most of it by friends but i didnt like the way all of the choices were taken from looting and such, in the short time i played i enjoyed getting that peice of armour that had a little bit better stats than my first one and that was taken away on 2 and replaced with you being able to stroll up to a shop and buy it for minimum credits.
Im fine with the combat the way it is and i will just have to get used to it, i like the animations of it and i just hope the dont take away all the armour choices and stick you with a few special armours and the rest just lousy greys :P

13ip0lar
02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Not gonna quote 13ip0lar as its to long but thats what im talking about :)
But yeah, i didnt find a problem with a way the post you 'attacked' :P
I agree with the thing about mass effects, i only played a bit of mass effect to get the start of the story as i was told most of it by friends but i didnt like the way all of the choices were taken from looting and such, in the short time i played i enjoyed getting that peice of armour that had a little bit better stats than my first one and that was taken away on 2 and replaced with you being able to stroll up to a shop and buy it for minimum credits.
Im fine with the combat the way it is and i will just have to get used to it, i like the animations of it and i just hope the dont take away all the armour choices and stick you with a few special armours and the rest just lousy greys :P

Tru dat sir, Tru dat...My only beef with the original Dragons Age, was the lack of said armor and weapons. Sure there was a lot of types, but I felt you jumped from leet armor to leet armor, or weapon, in that game. There wasn't really any "Ok this sucks, but this is better than what I am wearing" or "Wow this is 10x better than what I am wearing" moments. There was a lot of, "This has +2 magic + 2 Sp, but this is +4 magic +4 Sp +1 mana regen", and that happened every so often. I frankly like being a pack-rat, and then at the end of a long adventure, rummaging through my pack, finding out what in there is junk, and what I want to keep or could use. Perhaps a lot of people don't enjoy that, but I sure as hell do! >_>

hydroxyde
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Mashing 'A' allows the individual to switch targets at ease without any downtime in dps 'damage per second' and also use special attacks

They could easily make that possible without mashing the A button, and probably have. The developers say that the auto-attack is a toggle in the final version. You can search for it on their forums, I don't have a link handy. :)

iToastMan
02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Tru dat sir, Tru dat...My only beef with the original Dragons Age, was the lack of said armor and weapons. Sure there was a lot of types, but I felt you jumped from leet armor to leet armor, or weapon, in that game. There wasn't really any "Ok this sucks, but this is better than what I am wearing" or "Wow this is 10x better than what I am wearing" moments. There was a lot of, "This has +2 magic + 2 Sp, but this is +4 magic +4 Sp +1 mana regen", and that happened every so often. I frankly like being a pack-rat, and then at the end of a long adventure, rummaging through my pack, finding out what in there is junk, and what I want to keep or could use. Perhaps a lot of people don't enjoy that, but I sure as hell do! >_>

Hell yeah, i loved picking every piece up without looking at it and then having a check once i was done or run out of space, because i somehow didn't now there was backpack upgrades till i saw one on awakening ._.!
Oh and for the armour, i think i used 'effort' on my warrior all the way until i got some set in awakening.
Found several of em that was alright but just about the same as effort, a mate found his blood dragon code from a while ago and gave it to me, so i just use that on new warriors now :p

DFB 1708
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah the combat seems to be a lot smoother and the hp and mp bar isn't some huge ball in the top left corner any more, which is great as well.

Meh.. Voice work was just meh or I missed a lot.. Facial details and movement were indeed great but I have one complaint about that orange-head-that-rolled-with-that-dead-templar-chick and that's her arms. When you sobs over the dude I just think her arms look terrible, but whatever.

Now if she was just YOUNG it would've been even more badass ;).

Lol, I just knew it was coming and yeah, I agree :D.

Rogue is awesome as well, beautifull blades and nice moves.

I believe the first Ogre has unlimited Hurlocks, they never stopped coming over here, the second Ogre, where you have more friends, only has 2~3 waves of Hurlocks. If the Hurlock are not unlimited kill them first and the rest is quite easy just mash.

13ip0lar
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Now if she was just YOUNG it would've been even more badass ;).

Lol, I just knew it was coming and yeah, I agree :D.

First, Kate Mulgrew is eternally sexy, how dare you sir!

Second, I think we can all agree that the trend of big obvious tits, on some sexily formed pixels is one we have come to accept, and aren't going to cry foul over any time soon. However, I would like to be the first guy to say that while I have no problem with the things I listed, I am a guy that finds himself constantly hopping from chick to chick in the proverbial sense, because I just think there is too many good looking ones to stay focused on just one. That said I would like to see more variety in the common "hot chick" we are so accustomed to seeing in game. I mean would it really be so bad to see a hot protagonist with B cups, and not double D's? Perhaps it's just my own liberal opinion, but then again remember they are pixels, so variety would be nice... imo.

Breeding
02-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Yeah I got to the hurlocs and the ogre and gave up to sleep.

I think I liked the combat DA:O better.

I would have thought the graphics would have at least been on par with ME2, though the character models look nice.

Stevey Boy2006
02-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Apparrently crafting is out as well- you cant argue thats not watered down

H2O
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Apparrently crafting is out as well- you cant argue thats not watered down

As the following quote was taken from the DA2 website i suspect you're "talking out of your arse" as the saying goes. ;)

Access to exclusive Magic and Crafting Stores

Stevey Boy2006
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
As the following quote was taken from the DA2 website i suspect you're "talking out of your arse" as the saying goes. ;)

My bad then, I heard crafting from your inventory was out:confused:

ADenton109
02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
I have played the demo three times to get a feel of each class and OMG i am hooked already i can not wait two week to get this game i want it now!

The combat in it is much improved you actually feel involved this time in stead of spectating.

H2O
02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
That quote is from the black emporium dlc description so it would seem not. Time will tell though.

There was a lot of locked features on the demo but from what i could see behind the locked menu pictures they've avoided the mistake of ME2 and kept the customization for those that want it. Here's hoping anyway. :)

XperimntNterror
02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

I played a female rogue and it was pretty cool. The extra flourishes to the attack animation (i.e., acrobatics) were a nice addition. The "camp" menu is a bit improved over the first (sort of "Mass Effect"ish).

The only thing that bothered me was that some of the cut-scenes seemed like clips of the scene as opposed to a whole scene (the part after meeting Flemeth and then it fast-forwarding to the point where you meet Isabella, as an example). This could've been done on purpose for the demo to keep from giving too much away.... at least I hope so.

The combat is still, in my opinion, very similar to the first game. Just a bit faster and flashier. You still pull up a radial menu that pauses the game while you select abilities, you can still switch to various members on the fly, you can still hot key different abilities to face buttons.... really not all that different, so I'm not sure the person calling this "watered down" in a different post above has actually even played the demo.

Anyway, I absolutely can't wait to get my copy on release day!

XperimntNterror
02-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah I got to the hurlocs and the ogre and gave up to sleep.

I think I liked the combat DA:O better.

I would have thought the graphics would have at least been on par with ME2, though the character models look nice.

I'm fairly certain, having played the demo, that this is still using the same engine from DA: O; just a little updated. I would've been far more surprised if the game looked leaps and bounds better than the first game. You also have to keep in mind that DA: O was originally being developed for the XBOX and it wasn't until really far into development that it was moved to the X360.

Stevey Boy2006
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I played a female rogue and it was pretty cool. The extra flourishes to the attack animation (i.e., acrobatics) were a nice addition. The "camp" menu is a bit improved over the first (sort of "Mass Effect"ish).

The only thing that bothered me was that some of the cut-scenes seemed like clips of the scene as opposed to a whole scene (the part after meeting Flemeth and then it fast-forwarding to the point where you meet Isabella, as an example). This could've been done on purpose for the demo to keep from giving too much away.... at least I hope so.

The combat is still, in my opinion, very similar to the first game. Just a bit faster and flashier. You still pull up a radial menu that pauses the game while you select abilities, you can still switch to various members on the fly, you can still hot key different abilities to face buttons.... really not all that different, so I'm not sure the person calling this "watered down" in a different post above has actually even played the demo.

Anyway, I absolutely can't wait to get my copy on release day!

Ive played the demo,I just feel the combat is more hack 'n slash than RPG now

XperimntNterror
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Ive played the demo,I just feel the combat is more hack 'n slash than RPG now

It is, but it makes the combat more exciting as a result. You still have the tactical options available to you. It's definitely different, but I don't have the "Fable 2 vs Fable 3" impression from this game; THAT was watered down.

Well, I don't want to sound like I'm saying you have a "wrong" opinion here and I know you prefer the original game, so I'll just say that I hope, when the game is released, it'll grow on you and become less of an issue for you. Nothing worse than playing through a game constantly thinking "if they had only kept this or done this....". Makes it hard to enjoy the experience.

iToastMan
02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I've been told there is an option to change back to Origins fighting style, but i haven't got round to looking yet.
And yeah, i didn't like the way it skipped from flemeth to kirkwall either, i hope that is just for the demo and we wont be seeing things like that all the time, i know its over a 10 year span so there would have to be some skips but that was pretty large imo :/

XperimntNterror
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I've been told there is an option to change back to Origins fighting style, but i haven't got round to looking yet.
And yeah, i didn't like the way it skipped from flemeth to kirkwall either, i hope that is just for the demo and we wont be seeing things like that all the time, i know its over a 10 year span so there would have to be some skips but that was pretty large imo :/

I heard this too, but I think that option only applies to the PC version. I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that's what I had heard.

Stevey Boy2006
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
It is, but it makes the combat more exciting as a result. You still have the tactical options available to you. It's definitely different, but I don't have the "Fable 2 vs Fable 3" impression from this game; THAT was watered down.

Well, I don't want to sound like I'm saying you have a "wrong" opinion here and I know you prefer the original game, so I'll just say that I hope, when the game is released, it'll grow on you and become less of an issue for you. Nothing worse than playing through a game constantly thinking "if they had only kept this or done this....". Makes it hard to enjoy the experience.

Yeah me too, I was looking forward to DA2 so much, but the Demo has lowered my hype somewhat.

twhiting9275
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
First impressions? This is BEYOND sick.
Graphics:
This game goes above and beyond the first one, and does so pretty well.

Fighting style:
Took some getting used to (admittedly), but the more I play it, the more I just love it!!!

This is just a demo, which, has two purposes here:
#1: It psychs people up about the game (yay) and gets them to buy it.
#2: It helps them see what bugs there might still be in the system. You can bet we'll see patches come out close to release day, based on feedback from the demo.

This is going to be one awesome game, can't wait!!!

jamie1000013
02-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't think this is Dragon Age 2 more like Dragon age X2 because it was two times as fast. I don't know if I like it as much as I should yet. It just feels too sped up. I can't really monitor mine or my team mates health because it's too engaging lol.

I wish they hadn't locked everything lol. You can't change any options, any weapons or armor, and other things. I wish I had a little bit more freedom lol.

Still it didn't disappoint me, it just stunned me how much it has changed.

MajinJackBauer
02-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Pretty disappointed with the combat system, the "Mash A" to make your character to mid-air barrel rolls is not how I want my Dragon Age rogue to play... The greatest part of the first one was the D&D feel of the combat and the intricate tactics you are constantly changing depending on how the battle progresses. I hope I'm just surprised and turn out to love the combat...

FSparacino4
02-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Pretty disappointed with the combat system, the "Mash A" to make your character to mid-air barrel rolls is not how I want my Dragon Age rogue to play... The greatest part of the first one was the D&D feel of the combat and the intricate tactics you are constantly changing depending on how the battle progresses. I hope I'm just surprised and turn out to love the combat...

I don't think they removed the use of tactics in this game, they changed how they implemented them. I imagine as you unlock more abilities, the game becomes alot less of "Mash A" and different abilities and strategies will need to be used on boss fights/particular enemies. Also having to control all of your party members actions is a very tactical aspect of the game.

Durdens Wrath
02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I guess my only beef was, that they still haven't found a way for me to have more than 6 items in my quick bar. Which is going to be annoying, because it sure as hell was in DA:O, especially as a mage.

The combat is still, in my opinion, very similar to the first game. Just a bit faster and flashier. You still pull up a radial menu that pauses the game while you select abilities, you can still switch to various members on the fly, you can still hot key different abilities to face buttons.... really not all that different, so I'm not sure the person calling this "watered down" in a different post above has actually even played the demo.Yeah, that radial menu was a pain, and definately disrupted the flow of combat for a rogue/warrior. I wasn't a fan.

Ethereal235
02-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I prefer the new combat system. It's more interactive, and also more intuitive to a degree. Pressing a button and waiting was kind of dull. That's the only real change they made to the battle system. You still have skills/spells that give you control over the battle and require a bit of thought, everything just reacts in real-time now, and you have to keep pressing the 'attack' button to keep attacking.

I'll need to see more of the plot than was available in the demo, but I'm glad I pre-ordered it.

13ip0lar
02-27-2011, 11:32 PM

That's exactly why they did it, unless there are possible flash-backs or the story will be told from the perspective of a dwarf narrative, as you seen him being interrogated by that one knight? Templar? dunno...

Bioware never does anything shitty...for the most part.

scrummers
02-28-2011, 02:24 AM
I liked it. Like the combat system fast paced and lots of action it seems. My fav class was Rogue with dual weapons. Can wait til this game comes out.

Magicman10893
02-28-2011, 02:37 AM
I loved it! I know a lot of people are complaining about the "Mashing A" combat, but I prefer that to "Press A Once and sit back and watch the battle" combat. The graphics look smoother and the game over all runs smoother than Origins, but I dislike the art style somewhat.

The random spikes on the armor look silly, and the Hurlocks and Ogres look pretty retarded IMO. Also I don't like the new look for Flemeth. I understand that they are essentially retconning things to look nicer (look up the new looks of the Qunari), but Flemeth still looked silly. I think it was the hair that really put me off.

The outfit was fine (remember she is supposed to be a Chasind legend and her outfit definitely fit the style), but I think the horns that were made up of her hair should have just been a helmet, and considering she had that head band thing that magically stays on her head, it could have been a full helmet.