PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply making a grinding/"whirring" noise

bigbear2face
02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Yesterday I turned on my 360 SLIM to start playing Bulletstorm and I started hearing this whirring/grinding noise. At first I was afraid that it was the 360 itself so I immediately ejected the disc that was in there thinking that maybe the disc-reader was eating it up. However, when I got close I noticed that the noise was coming from the power supply and not the console itself.

Its a really bad sounding noise that starts and stops ("whir", stop "whir, whir, grind, whir", stop...etc.). Eventually after I fiddled with it a bit it stopped making the grinding/whirring noise but then the fan itself sounded louder then it had at any point before (I've had the console about a month or two now). Now pretty much each time I start the console it starts making the noise again and even if I get it to stop for awhile it sometimes starts again. Through all this the indicator light on the supply "brick" has always been green.

So:
#1 Has this happened to anyone else?
#2 Can this be fixed (and does it need to be fixed) or am I going to have to contact Microsoft or the retailer I bought the system from to replace it?

WogMatt26
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Power supply is failing obviousl. Go on ebay or something and buy a new one. Could also be the cd drive though, they usually make grinding noises.

bigbear2face
02-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Power supply is failing obviousl. Go on ebay or something and buy a new one. Could also be the cd drive though, they usually make grinding noises.

It is nothing on the console itself. It is definitely coming from the power supply. On another forum I saw something about compressed air solving power supply noise problems but from what I could gather it was more for the fan itself making more noise then usual not for a grinding/whirring noise.

BlackTitan666
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
its just the fan in the psu my psu is like that. cause were i used to keep the 360 had alot of wires behind it so the psu was never leveled on the ground so now when its leveled the fan make that sound.so i have to keep it on a angle been like that for 4 months and it works like normal

Pootcrum
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
If the console is only a couple of months old don't buy a new anything, thats silly, contact Microsoft and get them to replace it. Even if you can fix it temporarily it will still probably crap out on you. Make use of the warranty.

Worhammer
02-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Have an old brick from your last 360? You can switch the brick only and keep the slim plug side if you're worried about it. I would be kind of concerned were it my 360 slim, as I believe there's a surge protector inside that brick, so should it go bad it may feedback up into the console itself.

But I'm not an electrician or anything, so I could be completely off base here...

WogMatt26
02-24-2011, 07:35 AM
THe power suppy is the like the blood for the computer. Without it will not work, so if it is making a grinding noise obviously it will fail sooner or later, the fans on the psu are there to stop the elertricity from getting to hot and causing a fire. If i were you i would buy a new power supply.

WogMatt26
02-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Have an old brick from your last 360? You can switch the brick only and keep the slim plug side if you're worried about it. I would be kind of concerned were it my 360 slim, as I believe there's a surge protector inside that brick, so should it go bad it may feedback up into the console itself.

But I'm not an electrician or anything, so I could be completely off base here...
Plus you are right, the volts are handled for the cpu at a certain voltage as soon as thats gone its sends 100% of the power supply. Nexthing you no there is fire and chaos and your xbox will never torun on again.

Tower Bridge
02-27-2011, 10:01 PM
This has been happening to me for about a month. Whenever I boot up the 360 slim the power block hums in a very loud and annoying manner. It always stops after 5-10 minutes and doesnt come back (even after hours of playing).

No problems or funny sounds from the xbox itself. Thus far no problems with power loss / freezing. At some point I will get a new block, but I can't explain how or why it does that. :confused:

Johnnyboy
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I had that happen to me....had to replace it!