PDA

View Full Version : Firefly Fans Rallying To Bring The Show Back

Pyrochaos
02-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Firefly ran only a few short weeks back in 2002 after being cancelled by FOX (The Alliance?), but fans have been trying to spark it back into life. The group of fans known as Brown Coats have been successful once when attempting to give the show another shot. This second chance came in the form of the 2005 film Serenity.

Though the Brown Coats would make pushing for a sequel to Serenity their new priority, the idea of a Firefly revival never left their minds or hearts.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10143/firefly_series_main.jpg

In a recent interview with ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY (reported here by our own Josh Wilding), Fillion had this to say about his former and favorite TV show ever coming back:

"If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to "Firefly," make it on my own, and distribute it on the internet," Fillion told EW, a CNN.com partner.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10143/Malcolm_Reynolds1.jpgSo the BC have taken it upon themselves to make their's and Fillion's dream a reality.

Former Firefly writer Jose Molina responded to fans sudden relit needs to get the show back on the air via his twitter:

"For what it's worth, I've told him I'd drop what I was doing and follow."

Then star Jewel Staite was also asked via Twitter if she would be joining the show should it come back. She responded with a Christopher Walken Quote (also used as joke by Fillion in the show Castle):

"Is the Pope Catholic?"

Then the shows Facebook group had over 10,000 new members only twenty-four ours after Fillion's EW interview.

Now a new site accepting donations for the shows return called HelpNathanBuyFirefly.com

Fans also believe that the show's creator Joss Whedons successful Internet special (also starring Fillion) Dr. Horribles Sing Along Blog proves that show could work well being broadcast over the internet.

So how about it Brown Coats are you joining the rally, I sure as hell am.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/bleedthefreak/news/?a=30692

The facebook page is here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/HelpNathanBuyFF

Will this show ever be revived? Thoughts?

Pyrochaos
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
More info here:

http://www.omg-squee.com/2011/02/the-return-of-firefly/

and here:

More support – author Patrick Rothfuss has written An Open Letter to Nathan Fillion (http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/an-open-letter-to-nathan-fillion/), stating:
Here’s the deal. My second book is about to come out. My publisher tells me there’s a decent chance of us selling a truly ridiculous number of copies. If this happens, I will have more money than I’ll know what to do with.
Except that’s not exactly true. I know exactly what I’d like to do with that money. I’d like to help you buy the rights to Firefly back from Fox.

Tussell
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't think I've heard a negative thing about this show in my entire life. I have yet to watch it, but there's some stuff on Netflix if I remember right, and if not there's many ways I can catch up.

I would really like to see what the fuss is all about. So I'm definitely game for it coming back.

(Shouldn't this have been in television?)

The Pants Party
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
^The entire series and the movie are on instant streaming. Do yourself a favor, drop whatever else you're watching, and have yourself a marathon, my friend. I am actually in the process of rewatching the entire series myself. So good. :D

xanderthezeppo
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Wow, very cool. I'm all for more Firefly stuff. Though I don't know how it would do after being gone for so long.

xMortal Syn
02-25-2011, 08:09 AM
I never got the chance to see the show, but I did see the movie serenity, and liked it. It's just one of those shows that I've been meaning to watch, but never get around to.

IDiivil
02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Amazing show. Really hope we see more. Watched Firefly three times and Serenity two times. :)

Tussell
02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
^The entire series and the movie are on instant streaming. Do yourself a favor, drop whatever else you're watching, and have yourself a marathon, my friend. I am actually in the process of rewatching the entire series myself. So good. :D
Thanks for the heads up. Instant Netflix is probably the best thing to ever happen to me. I use it constantly!

So the movie is actually good? I heard otherwise from some, which is surprising for what I've heard about Firefly overall.

Pootcrum
02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
I am actually in the process of rewatching the entire series myself. So good. :D

Same. I am trying to spread it out a bit, but I cant help watching multiple eps a night.

So the movie is actually good? I heard otherwise from some, which is surprising for what I've heard about Firefly overall.

The movie was good, but I think it gets mixed reviews because of the anticipation and expectation of the fans. The movie happened because of the shitstorm the internet kicked up when Firefly was canceled and so because of this I think everyone wanted and expected it to be the best thing ever. It wasn't, but only because of how much Joss Whedon had to tie up in that one movie.

I am 100% behind this fight.

Tussell
02-25-2011, 09:06 AM
So I'm pretty stoked at the moment. I just added the complete series and the film to my instant queue. Looks like I got something to do on my days off during next week in between class! Thanks for the suggestion!

Tyger7
02-25-2011, 09:12 AM
I haven't seen the show but I'll probably watch it since I really enjoyed the movie. Really at least hope they make a good sequel.

The Pants Party
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
The movie I thought was fabulous. Like Pootcrum mentioned, there was a LOT to tie up from the show, so I can see how it may have felt a bit lacking, but there is only so much you can fit into 90 minutes while keeping the spirit of the show and not rushing plot points.

One thing I hope they do, if this happens, is set the show back before the movie. I read somewhere that Whedon planned it for seven years, so there are plenty of stories they could tell and still have the movie be relevant. Or perhaps some before and some after. Not to spoil anything for those who haven't seen the movie yet, but that way the entire cast could be present, including my favorite character (again, won't name this person).

FOX fucked the show from the get-go though. Gave it the death-slot of Friday night and put the episodes on air out of order. They apparently wanted a more action-comedy episode for the opener ("The Train Job"), instead of the character driven double-episode "Serenity" that actually introduced all the characters. So people first tuning in had no idea who these people were or why they should care about them, which was the main point of the show: the characters.

kdrcraig
02-25-2011, 05:23 PM
More Firefly would definitely be awesome, but I imagine the chances of it actually happening are pretty slim.

bigbear2face
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Instant Netflix is probably the best thing to ever happen to me. I use it constantly!

I loved the movie. Problem is it did some things that would make it hard for them to make a TV show following its events (not going to spoil it for you by saying what). If they did make a new TV show it would pretty much have to happen between the old show and the movie for it the be any good (i.e. have all the characters that made the show great). Also I'm not sure the movie did well enough for them to see a new TV run as potentially succesfull.

Also Firefly fans should check out another Joss Whedon show (if they haven't already) called Dollhouse. It only lasted two seasons (I've only seen season 1 so far but have season 2 and am about to start it). I think its great, maybe not as humorous as Firefly but still pretty cool.

Gun-Nut
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm all for more Firefly I loved the cast especially Nathan Fillion I love him in everything he has done and continue to watch Castle which is a great show :)

I just can't see it happening and I would not advice anyone to get there hopes up but I'm all for it making a come back!

I still need to get around to watching the series in HD! had it sitting here for awhile now.

Pyrochaos
02-28-2011, 05:35 PM
More Firefly would definitely be awesome, but I imagine the chances of it actually happening are pretty slim.

Well if he actually was able to buy the rights back, he could then bring it to any station (SyFy would be a great choice, since they air the show and the movie a lot).

kdrcraig
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Well if he actually was able to buy the rights back, he could then bring it to any station (SyFy would be a great choice, since they air the show and the movie a lot).

I'm actually pretty surprised that another network didn't try to pick this up after Fox cancelled it and it gained its cult following. You're right, SyFy would be a good fit for this show.

Pootcrum
03-01-2011, 09:36 AM
One thing I hope they do, if this happens, is set the show back before the movie. I read somewhere that Whedon planned it for seven years, so there are plenty of stories they could tell and still have the movie be relevant. Or perhaps some before and some after. Not to spoil anything for those who haven't seen the movie yet, but that way the entire cast could be present, including my favorite character (again, won't name this person).

Totally. You need the entire cast from the first series to do it justice. I am interested to see that fan made movie (Browncoats: Redemption I think?) and see how that is. I think it was written as a prequel to the series.

FOX fucked the show from the get-go though. Gave it the death-slot of Friday night and put the episodes on air out of order. They apparently wanted a more action-comedy episode for the opener ("The Train Job"), instead of the character driven double-episode "Serenity" that actually introduced all the characters. So people first tuning in had no idea who these people were or why they should care about them, which was the main point of the show: the characters.Wow had no idea about any of this. I saw the movie first after recommendation by a friend, then went and immediately bought the movie and the series. So didn't get any of it from telly. Stupid Fox. They can be real dicks sometimes.

Also Firefly fans should check out another Joss Whedon show (if they haven't already) called Dollhouse. It only lasted two seasons (I've only seen season 1 so far but have season 2 and am about to start it). I think its great, maybe not as humorous as Firefly but still pretty cool.

Agreed. I quite enjoyed Dollhouse. Definitely not near as humorous as Firefly, but still entertaining with a good mix of Science Fiction and Action. Plus, Eliza Dushku.

evanclaw
03-05-2011, 02:23 PM
im with the rest of you bring it back i loved firefly and serenity
i missed the show when it was on then saw a trailer for the movie watched it fell in love with it and 2 hrs later had been to hmv and bought the series for 14.99 and still watch it loads my wife is getting a tad fed with it so some new episodes for her to watch and not moan about would be amazing.