PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat banned in Australia!

Mr Bungle
02-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Here's the official statement from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment:

The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia. We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers.

WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience. We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time.

I can't f.cking believe this! First Left 4 Dead 2's little ban and now this!

I'm venting!! :mad:

Pieville
02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
I heard about this earlier... Fuck the Classification Board, I'm gonna order this from the UK! :woop: Most of my family lives in England so I'll get one of my Aunties to send it for me.

I have a feeling that they'll do what they do with L4D2 and make them make a much less violent version which there is no point as the point to Mortal Kombat is BLOOD, GORE, VIOLENCE AND FATALITIES!!!

Cav Clayton
02-25-2011, 07:18 AM
I was so sure this was going to get past. I mean ever since the R18+ debate got a bit of heat, the board has been calm. Hell, even Bulletstorm got through.

*Sigh* Guess I'm importing from UK, sucks though because I'm not sure I can use DLC (on PS3 I'm talking).

Mr Bungle
02-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Something tells me the whole R18+ debate is going to be brought up again...

Pieville
02-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Something tells me the whole R18+ debate is going to be brought up again...

They really need to let there be an R18+ rating, sure that would mean I can't buy certain games myself such as Mortal Kombat but it'll better than this bullshit.

Mr Bungle
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
They really need to let there be an R18+ rating, sure that would mean I can't buy certain games myself such as Mortal Kombat but it'll better than this bullshit.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, Australian Government don't care about games/gamers.

Cav Clayton
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Well here's to hoping that this event adds a bit more fuel to the ever-growing fire.

ray666
02-25-2011, 09:01 PM
i just dont understand, why they can't make the same game for everywhere.

is it true tht if i have a uncut game(COD WAW or L4D) and u play with one who has the child version (12+;16+) online, u cant see blood too? I heard that a while ago.

different ratings:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Video_game_rating_systems_ma p.svg&filetimestamp=20100113123135

Ceejus
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
My heart goes out to you Australian gamers. This just isn't right. It would put such a knot in my stomach if my country was keeping me from playing a game like this. If it's any condolence though, I can assure you life in America isn't all it's cut out to be for a lot of us middle class people either. From what I've heard about Australia, I'd gladly give up my freedom to play certain video games to live down there.

I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better, but it's the truth. Anyways, I really hope there's a way you can import it. Is there any way they can catch you doing it though? And what about your 360's? Wouldn't the region coding prevent you from playing a UK, US, or EU version? Or would you have to have a mod? Unless you imported the console too, then obviously it would work then.

I like games lol
02-26-2011, 01:26 AM
i cant believe there doing this!! if they can let a game like splatterhouse in then why not mk? splatterhouse was given the goriest game of 2010! stupid f**ckn government!!!!!!!!!

Annalie
02-26-2011, 02:14 AM
I feel for all of you aussies that shit blows, but do what most will be doing and order from the UK. :(

silent death 666
02-26-2011, 02:16 AM
many will die for this outrage

jedink
02-26-2011, 02:45 AM
THIS IS SO STUPID ,but at least its not all bad, we can still get it from UK since UK and australia share the same region system

both PAL

KillerChris8814
02-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Though them not getting it is bad, it could be worse they could of done it like MK1 on the SNES and made the blood sweat and messed up the fatalities. That really sucked and was the reason I got a Genesis back then.

Pieville
02-26-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better, but it's the truth. Anyways, I really hope there's a way you can import it. Is there any way they can catch you doing it though? And what about your 360's? Wouldn't the region coding prevent you from playing a UK, US, or EU version? Or would you have to have a mod? Unless you imported the console too, then obviously it would work then.

UK games work on Australian systems and Vice Versa, this isn't the first time i've got a game sent from the UK. PAL for the win!

I find it stupid that they banning this game but they haven't banned games like GoW or GoW! (Gears of War & God of War)

judd90
02-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Well that sucks. Ill get it either way but its still retarded.

loganm223
02-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Man thats like getting kicked in the balls the spit in the face

Moogle356
02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
ok, this sucks big fat brown sweaty hairy balls!!!
does anyone know a good site to pre order this game for australia?

i was really looking forward to the kollections edition as im a old school MK fan :(

AMoDo94
02-26-2011, 11:20 AM
that true i cant play it online

Cav Clayton
02-26-2011, 01:12 PM
ok, this sucks big fat brown sweaty hairy balls!!!
does anyone know a good site to pre order this game for australia?

i was really looking forward to the kollections edition as im a old school MK fan :(
I'd say ozgameshop.com but they've take it down atm.

Moogle356
02-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd say ozgameshop.com but they've take it down atm.

Does this means us aussies CANNOT get out hands on a MK9 Kollections edition?? that works on our xbox?

:drunkAustralian Government :drunk

:rant::rant:Australian Gamers:rant::rant:

IIISETIII
02-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I thought MK was going to be region free. So if this is the case then can't you get it from anywhere?

Cav Clayton
02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
You may be able to get the Kollector's edition from New Zealand, otherwise it's pretty much just the standard from the UK.

jedink
02-27-2011, 09:44 AM
did they also remove the kollectors edition from uk because of the banning of australia? because i cant find the kollectors edition from uk anymore

is there a link where i can buy the kollectors edition online it has to be PAL format

DENAz666
02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
did they also remove the kollectors edition from uk because of the banning of australia? because i cant find the kollectors edition from uk anymore

is there a link where i can buy the kollectors edition online it has to be PAL format

Was never announced in the UK. I'm looking now too

SevenJesterHats
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Just a quick question, If\when there is DLC for this game, could Australans be able to DL it from thier xbox?

Cav Clayton
03-01-2011, 01:47 AM
^ Yes. But chances are you'll need a US/UK account to actually see the DLC on the marketplace.

Dz06lt
03-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Just import it, Ebay is everwhere

Mr Bungle
03-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Found this on IGN.com

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Australia has released an official statement about their plans to appeal the RC decision given to the game only moments ago:

"After careful consideration Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Australia have decided to appeal to the Australian Classification Review Board against the RC (Refused Classification) decision given to Mortal Kombat. After reviewing both the game play and the Board's original decision WBIE Australia believe the violence in the game is on par with numerous other titles readily available for sale in the Australian market. As such the company wants to exhaust all options to make the game available to Mortal Kombat fans in this country. An identical version of the game will be submitted for appeal."

Pieville
03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Found this on IGN.com

OMG!!! That is some good news there, I have a feeling that they may let Mortal Kombat through just based on the fact that there's much worst games and that Mortal Kombat is a classic.

Cav Clayton
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Lets hope the Board buckles on this one just like they did with AvP and FEAR 2.
I'm gonna hold off on an import until there's more news.

It sure would suck to have every single MK game make it to Australia except this one. Surely some extra graphical power isn't enough to 'cross the line'.

Mr Bungle
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I really hope we don't miss out on this one!

SevenJesterHats
03-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Please Australia!!!! LET ME order my kollection edition before its too late :(

heuvadeuce
03-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Im not gonna wait hoping that the ACB will let it through and im worried that theyll try to water it down. Ill just import it.

Im bummed though caus JB had it advertised as coming with all three retro ninja DLC, havent seen anywhere else with that deal.

Is this going to affect if we can play online if theres online cheevos?

Pieville
03-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Im not gonna wait hoping that the ACB will let it through and im worried that theyll try to water it down. Ill just import it.

Im bummed though caus JB had it advertised as coming with all three retro ninja DLC, havent seen anywhere else with that deal.

I was gonna pre-order mine from JB! Here's hoping that they let this game through!

Cav Clayton
03-03-2011, 08:04 AM

Online play will be unaffected. There's even the chance of connecting to New Zealanders.

Woody28
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I heard DLC poses probs on imports (can anyone confirm or deny?), but I know for a fact online is unaffected.
I too will hold off on the import till we hear the final verdict. I agree with WB that MK's level of violence is totally on par with several games currently already available. Dead space 2 and splatterhouse just to name a couple.

Cav Clayton
03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
If you purchase a UK copy you'll most likely be ok with DLC (not many DLC's don't work with a UK copy)

Purchase from US and you'll need a US account.

EDIT: Scratch that. DLC is universal for 360. I was thinking PS3..