PDA

View Full Version : Is Video Game Addiction a Psychiatric Disorder?

Weapon 117
06-22-2007, 09:48 PM
The Associated Press reports that the American Medical Association is asking the American Psychiatric Association to include video game addiction as a disorder in a mental illness manual published by the APA.

The AMA report says up to 90% of American youngsters play video games and as many as 15% of them - more than five million kids - may be addicted.

A leading group of doctors want the behavior officially classified as a psychiatric disorder. That would raise awareness and enable sufferers to get insurance coverage for treatment.

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13782/Is-Video-Game-Addiction-a-Psychiatric-Disorder/

Darth Odan
06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
WELL. Yes and no.

Casual gaming is good. Relieves stress, and can help improve and develop memory, among other things. NOW gaming like WoW, where you play everyday for 17 hours per day, and to the point where you forget to eat/work/go to the bathroom, then you've passed the limit.

JonnyC VT
06-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Speaking of video game addiction, I have no water at this point, because instead of paying my water bill, I bought Forza 2. Today I just bought DiRT instead of paying over a month late power bill. Who gives a shit, when I can game!

Then they'll shut my power off in a few days and I'll be screwed to hell...

SevenFisher
06-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Well I'd say no but there ARE people who would game without taking regular breaks.... I even play WoW, RPGs, my PSP, DS and soon 360 yet I usually take my breaks, so If I need lunch I'd just save & quit the game, make the dinner, pause the game and go to toilets if need, and I always have time for friends rather than go on gaming.

However there are some people who would play for hours without break & thinking about real life & their friends, which is sad case but this article may be true. *shifty*

Maka
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I think it can be. Not much else Im going to say.

bro im a G
06-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Anything that is fun, can be an addiction...Simply because there is a lot of people that just can't moderate.

Jdm
06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Speaking of video game addiction, I have no water at this point, because instead of paying my water bill, I bought Forza 2. Today I just bought DiRT instead of paying over a month late power bill. Who gives a shit, when I can game!

Then they'll shut my power off in a few days and I'll be screwed to hell...

You are going out like a savage, Jonny!:p

No water means no shower?:confused:

I rather have kids addicted to video games, than drugs or any other crap.

Cisumurug
06-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Man, why is everything turning into mental illnesses. Brb, I'm going to get high off some achievement points.

Tiamat66
06-23-2007, 01:24 AM
I used to think this was crap, then my nephew in law got hurt on the job, and went on disability. First it was Everquest, now its WoW. No matter what time of day I go over there, day or night, he's on that fucking computer. Won't go out to the bar, won't go to the track anymore. It's really sad. Some people just can't get enough...

Illution
06-23-2007, 02:00 AM
I have two friends addicted to wow.. I despise that game!!

But yeah it can be addictive, you just gotta manage your time and know when enough is enough.

Danny Dibo
06-23-2007, 02:16 AM
I think it is an addiction to be honest.
My little brother (age: 20) is absolutly addicted to FF:XI. He doesn't so ANYTHING, except play that game.
when he wakes up, he signs in Before using the bathroom, so its running when he gets out,, he will sit and play till 6 in the morning everynight, because "he's bored".
He refuses to get a job, help out with bills, clean up the house, or his room, do chores,, or even shower. he doesn't hang out with anyone anymore, because his friends,, don't wanna play ff 24 hours a day,, so he just spends more time with his "friends" in the game.
So believe me when I say, ya. In the wrong situation, a person with no control of how to manage there time,,will in fact be unhealthily addicted to video games.

shadow sniper
06-23-2007, 04:26 AM
hey if you dont think it is look at a thread i made a few weeks ago.....1 or 2 of the vids are fake but alot of kids do this,they just dont tape them selfs

http://xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28796

Rand al Thor 19
06-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Anything can lead to an addiction so.....

Illution
06-23-2007, 06:37 AM
hey if you dont think it is look at a thread i made a few weeks ago.....1 or 2 of the vids are fake but alot of kids do this,they just dont tape them selfs

http://xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28796

Anger management?

haha.