PDA

View Full Version : Is fable 2 better than 3?

giantsfan940
03-06-2011, 02:44 AM
I recently found out that a friend of mine traded this game in. I was greatly upset by the fact that he said that it sucked and fable 2 was much better in every regard. I whole-heartedly disagree. I think this installment surpassed the 2nd game and met all my expectations.
I though the story was way better (A rebellion pitting brother against brother vs. a random music box magically stopping some random noble who tried to rebuild a tower to grant wishes)with a memorable cast of characters. Fable 2 had like 5 main characters whereas Fable 3 had nearly a dozen (Walter,Jasper,Elise,Ben,Swift,Kalin,Page,Logan,Th eresa, and Reaver just to name a few.) I liked the sanctuary pause system, especially the ability to manage property from it without having to visit each location. The job system was way more fun (Lute Hero FTW) The prospective spouses weren't bland and ugly as sin, unlike Fable 2. I liked the evolving weapon system. Oh, and of course the fact that you could bring your own hero into your friend's world (To hell with that mercenary system in 2). The only fault I have is that Molyneux promised that once you became king, you would still have half the game to go. But it wasn't 50/50, it was more like 80/20 (The new traitor's keep DLC upped it to about 70/30 in my opinion) Overall, I just thought this was a truly fantastic game. Anyone agree or disagree? If so, why?

arachnophilia
03-06-2011, 03:00 AM
dontcha know, every fable game is worse than the last. that's, like, how it works in fanboi land.

A Pharmacist
03-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Some parts were better, some parts were worse. As a whole, I've enjoyed the game so far, but there's parts of Fable II that I miss :(

Steelstick
03-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Fable 3 had better graphics and when you were walking, it wasn't like you were walking on ice, but a part frrom that, Fable 2 was better

Quickdraw
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
gotta admit i do prefer two over 3, they try to improve leaps and bounds in each new game, but they are all poorly implemented, it makes me wonder who their QA team is, i mean no repair all houses button is something they must have found annoying.

Steelstick
03-06-2011, 10:29 AM
gotta admit i do prefer two over 3, they try to improve leaps and bounds in each new game, but they are all poorly implemented, it makes me wonder who their QA team is, i mean no repair all houses button is something they must have found annoying.

Fable 3's main problem is: great features poorly performed

Quickdraw
03-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Fable 3's main problem is: great features poorly performed

that is very true, its like they tried to pack so many pro stuff into the game, that they made them all semi decent failings of really good ideas.

Steelstick
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
that is very true, its like they tried to pack so many pro stuff into the game, that they made them all semi decent failings of really good ideas.

Indeed.
Im disappointed by the poor performances. Lionhead could've made this a great game, but instead they release a halfway completed glitchy world of pixels

Ragnarok1986
03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Indeed.
Im disappointed by the poor performances. Lionhead could've made this a great game, but instead they release a halfway completed glitchy world of pixels

Just like fallout NV it's getting to the point a game is only a route for a quick dollar/pound. It's a shame really that the pride of game is rushed to get more money. And it's the real gamers like us who have to put up with all the bugs and crap.

All I can say is if a new fable does come out I'm waiting a few months to buy it.

Quickdraw
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Just like fallout NV it's getting to the point a game is only a route for a quick dollar/pound. It's a shame really that the pride of game is rushed to get more money. And it's the real gamers like us who have to put up with all the bugs and crap.

All I can say is if a new fable does come out I'm waiting a few months to buy it.

i wouldn't wait months cause by then nothing will have been fixed, ive not played fable 3 in a while but i swear i ain't seem any changes to my game and all the bugs still there.

Barrosy
03-06-2011, 03:30 PM
In my opinion, I've experienced Fable 2 better then 3. Although the ending of Fable 3 is better (except for the great shard part) and Fable 2 is in many ways better. Fable 3 has better gameplay and better graphics tbh. That you can upgrade your weapon by doing objectives is nice. The beginning is like, WTF is this Fable? Who is this newby guy? Do I know him? Beginning as a child would be better, because then I'll recognize this as Fable. Fable 2 was the best Fable, but then the graphics and movements were worser than Fable 3. At least Fable 2 had 1 better option: using a spade was better in Fable 2 than in Fable 3. Where are the pub games in Fable 3? They're not there too. Pretty bad tho.

Greetz, Barrosy

Ragnarok1986
03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
i wouldn't wait months cause by then nothing will have been fixed, ive not played fable 3 in a while but i swear i ain't seem any changes to my game and all the bugs still there.

Years then ;)

Thinking about it have they patched anything to date yet? I mean the bugs, lag etc....

Quickdraw
03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Years then ;)

Thinking about it have they patched anything to date yet? I mean the bugs, lag etc....

i know for a fact they still havn't fixed the houses i can't buy back or repair on the map or the fact elliot can't impregnate anyone. those were my two main issues and as far as im aware neither are fixed.

id really like to redo the game mission, i really enjoyed that one, dlc for something like that would be sweet or even being able to go back and redo it.

id also like abit more character customisation personally making each person more unique, even with clothes and colours.

Combatjohnny
03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
i think three is the best of the triliogy. but i think they are all brilliant and addictive games. i like 3 because the morale choices have a clearer outcome and that you can do the right thing but people will think you've screwed them over when your saving them from themselves.

DarkStar11
03-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Fable 3 had better graphics but the game was not long enough

Steelstick
03-06-2011, 04:12 PM
It's a shame really that the pride of game is rushed to get more money.

Luckily not every studio does that.
I mean, Bethesda Softworks spent the last 5 years on the newest Elder Scrolls to come. That's not rushing at all, and the result is highly likely a beautiful RPG

Quickdraw
03-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Luckily not every studio does that.
I mean, Bethesda Softworks spent the last 5 years on the newest Elder Scrolls to come. That's not rushing at all, and the result is highly likely a beautiful RPG

if they do make it super sweet, then all their failings in fallout may be forgotten.

Steelstick
03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
if they do make it super sweet, then all their failings in fallout may be forgotten.

Yeah, one team makes up for anothers failure

KeepEmRolling
03-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Looking back at both Fable 2 and Fable 3, I had a much more enjoyable time playing Fable 2. Viewing both games as an experience, I just liked Fable 2 more. I don't think it was "better", necessarily...I just had more fun playing it.

I'm just glad they did patch 3 so I could play single player again.

DaDooode
03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I enjoyed Fable 2 more.

CarpeDiemXO
03-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I have to say that I looooove them both! The only reason I would pick 3 over 2 would be because of the graphics and the fact that the character actually talks. The storylines were both great.

DaCop
03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
my vote would be for fable 2 no specific reasons... i just enjoyed 2 and i have been playing 3 for a while its just not as fun maybe some of the charm is wearing off... dont really know.. but hey still playing it.. my mind could change

ChaosTheory2
03-09-2011, 02:30 AM
1 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3

I love Fable, I played through the original about 8-9 times or so, and put a decent amount of time into Fable 2. Fable 3....ehhhh.

They try to improve so much that they are regressing instead of progressing. At least from this gamer's point of view.

niko da bos
03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
1 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3

I love Fable, I played through the original about 8-9 times or so, and put a decent amount of time into Fable 2. Fable 3....ehhhh.

They try to improve so much that they are regressing instead of progressing. At least from this gamer's point of view.

reggressing instead of progressing, lol thats a great way to put it. it has some problems but all in all a good game. planning on doing another playthru sometime soon :D

one thing i enjoyed was the overall storyline of fable 3, it is very involved. also having walter instead of that fat oaf "HAMMER" was a huge plus.i highly doubt the strongest person they could find in that time period was a female monk..

Dictaternutz
03-10-2011, 03:25 AM
The first one is still my favorite, but I like Fable 3 much more than 2. I had to force myself to sit down and actually finish 2, and when I did I was really disappointed with the ending.
I couldn't stop playing 3, the only thing I didn't like about it was the magic system, but even that was still better than 2s.

Pakhair
03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
In Short Fable 3 is more beautiful and less buggier/Annoying/Exploit heavy/Goofy as compared to previous titles.

No doubt Fable 2 had more substance as compared to 3. If you like old school RPGs go with Fable 2 (it still ain't completely old school), Fable 3 is more like Action Adventure game with moral choices.

Fable 2's story, Upgrading mechanism is definitely better but Fable 3 is more gorgeous looking and less annoying package overall

NinjaKiwiVI
03-11-2011, 06:55 AM
I thought they were about the same. Both games had some better parts over the other.

gooniesala
03-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I've played both, and I'll have to agree that Fable 2 is a little better with a few things. I liked the challenge of how the money was earnt in jobs, the storyline was a little better and not slow like in fable 3 can be. I kept wanting to go back do missions in fable 2, than i have with fable 3. I also found the co-op with fable 2 less laggy/glitchy than fable 3. But either way I enjoy the Fable series :]

Steelstick
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, I just read all your text again and halfway I had to stop reading because I couldnt disagree more at some points.

Better story - I agree here but it was way too short
More main characters - Yes, that is good
Sanctuary - Nice, but they should've placed the weapons on racks, not mannequins, and sometimes Jasper was annoying as hell
Property management - Doing it from 3D map was okay, but they should have made a repair all button, because it still took ages.
Job system - Yeah, lute hero, pie maker etc were better than F2 jobs
Spouses - Some looked better, but the only one acceptable for me was Elise ...

In overal, I dont think this game was ''very fantastic'', just enjoyable.
I've completed nearly 5 playthrough's on Fable 2 and havent even completed my 2nd of Fable 3.
The visuals were better, as was the walking, but there were too many letdowns for me to rate this game as fantastic or better

Snowwwwy
03-13-2011, 03:07 AM
I dont know which is better as I havent played Fable 3 yet, but I loved Fable 2. Im gonna be getting Fable 3 in a few days time to try it out. See how it goes.

Stray Wolf
03-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I enjoyed Fable 3 over Fable 2, I thought the story was much better and more fun, I like the way the jobs work, but I miss being able to be a Bartender, that was my favorite job from 2. The only thing other than that, that Fable 2 has over 3 is all of the glitches I keep running into: I'm on my 3rd character now, and this ones stuck in the Wheel of Misfortune glitch.

Glemt
03-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I can't honestly say there is anything in Fable2 that I like better than in Fable3.

Foxxy kyle
03-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Well I havnt played Fable III yet, i will be next week hopefully. But from what ive heard Fable II is better.

Ragnarok1986
03-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Well I havnt played Fable III yet, i will be next week hopefully. But from what ive heard Fable II is better.

Alot of people do think this. All i can say is rent thr game and see what you think. :drunk

badRask
03-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I enjoyed both, overall I think Fable 3 was better.

Jesuit007
03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Interesting. Having played both to completion multiple times I have to say that I liked Fable 2 far more than 3. Better story, more involvement, better sidequests, hell even better achievements (except Coronation Chicken in 3... that one is epic).

Don't get me wrong, I liked 3 (busted demon door achievement aside), but I enjoyed 2 much, much more.

Steelstick
03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Interesting. Having played both to completion multiple times I have to say that I liked Fable 2 far more than 3. Better story, more involvement, better sidequests, hell even better achievements (except Coronation Chicken in 3... that one is epic).

Don't get me wrong, I liked 3 (busted demon door achievement aside), but I enjoyed 2 much, much more.

:whs

Exactly true!

niko da bos
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
i felt they incorperated way too many MP achievements. they should of learned with "doll collector" in falbe 2, instead they want us to trade 50 weapons!!? get married to XBL player, have a baby, start partnership. waay too many MP achievements for a game most people enjoy playing solo offline

xX WOGGLES Xx
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
fable 2 was alot better

Snowwwwy
03-15-2011, 09:02 AM
fable 2 was alot better
Bought it today and was watching my brother play it a little, Fable 2 looks better.

I could be wrong tho, Im gonna try and start playing it soon.

ChaosTheory2
03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

There are other problems I have with 3, but otherwise you about hit it with this.

Steelstick
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Bought it today and was watching my brother play it a little, Fable 2 looks better.

I could be wrong tho, Im gonna try and start playing it soon.

Um Fable 3 graphics are beter but Fable 2 features are better

Cap Britain
03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
out of the two Fable 2 is the better but not by much and althought Fable 3 has been improvement alittle it's still no way near the best of the francise. There are elements that F3 lacks are the pub games, better spells, a repair all button, a longer story, fewer bugs etc but the stuff they have added to it are a great addition better graphics, a better ending, the decisions you have to make after the revolution, evolving weapons, the hold hand expression the list gose on but i would take F2 over all these factors as its a much better story, DLC and better achievements but most importantly it has a massive playback factor which i love about it

Xenialshot
03-16-2011, 05:24 AM
umm they both amazing but... idk graphics mean alot to me but even with that 2 was pretty bad ass

Steelstick
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Overall there are many opinions about Fable 2 and 3 and which one's best.
Only way to find out which one you like more probably is play both

Saint Jericho
04-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Throwing in my 2 cents, I think 2 was better. Not saying that 3 was bad, I just didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Nothing really got resolved from 2, and it left alot of questions unanswered, the biggest one to me being what is Teresa doing with the Spire? I did like the building of the rebellion, but I was disappointed with the choice of enemy that Lionhead went it. "Evil Incarnate"? Not very original. Again, not saying that 3 was bad, but I'm not looking forward to doing another playthrough, and honestly wouldn't if it wasn't for being an achievement completionist. They simply changed too much around (i.e. why is the map so much different?!?!) Lionhead should have followed the philosophy of "If it's not broke, don't fix it." And Fable 2 definetly wasn't broken!

OceanH
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
This one sucks soo bad compared to the previous one. I loved my dog soo much in Fable 2 I never let him die. The dog in Fable 3 is soo fucking useless I want to kill him even with me having a compulsively, morally positive persona. The glowing trail is soo fucking glitchy. Both of these 2 elements have you waste soo much time on this stupid game.

NPNG The Master
04-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Even though they were both good games, I think I enjoyed Fable 2 much more and spent more time playing it, but then maybe that was because it was my first Fable and I didn't find Fble 3 as good because it wasn't really anything new for me.

asdf123
04-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Liked Fable 2 way more than 3, i never got hooked on the lastest like i did playing Fable2, its still a enjoyable game but not anywhere near as good.

OldChili360
04-24-2011, 07:53 AM
3 was better in some ways and 2 was better in some ways. For instance, I miss the expression wheel but liked being king. I'd say they're about equal, all things considered, but both are inferior to the first one.

Steelstick
04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
liked being king.

Being King/Queen was nice indeed, but after the story the ''royal decisions'' suddenly stopped
I mean, WTF? OK, it's a video game, so unlimited cases is too much asked, but now it seems nothing ever happens in the world after that Crawler thing is dead. What's the use of a king then?

AliceSterre
04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I really enjoyed Fable 3 but Never played Fable before

Tankore
04-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I found that fable 2 had a more diverse selection of side quests than 3 but for me it was also much glitchier. The only real thing i hated about the 2nd was the stupid ending/boss with the music box.

SeaTea
04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I enjoyed Fable 2 more than Fable 3. I liked both games, but I agree with many others that somehow Fable 2 was more fun. The expressions system in Fable 3 I didn't like at all. How many times does your character have to dance with everyone? Who decided on just ONE choice of expression for EVERY character you meet. I much preferred the expression wheel in Fable 2, it just made more sense.

I wasn't fond of Jasper endlessly babbling every time you wanted to see your stuff. And I didn't like not having a main inventory screen where you can see everything. You had to try to trade stuff just to see what you have in inventory if it wasn't clothes, hair, or a weapon (like portraits and furniture).

They both could use a multiple save system. Only one save is horrible, but it really bugged me a lot more in Fable 3 due to some of the glitches I ran into. I wish companies cared more about fixing things once they have your money. Quality control definitely needs improvement, and it seems to have gone backwards for Fable 3.

BrenteusMaximus
05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I have to say that I prefer Fable 2 because of its complexities and its continuity to the story. Fable 3 tries to keep things simple with the road to rule and the character interaction but I prefer the complexities of the 2nd game such as the upgrade system and expression wheel better. I also like that Fable 2 keeps much more storyline continuity with its predecessor than Fable 3 does with either of the previous games. I mean why couldn't we revisit Brightwood or Oakfield or Rookridge in 3? Where did those places disappear to? The landscape just went through way too many changes within the 50 years between games for it to be believable. That said I don't hate Fable 3, but its pack of continuity makes it almost feel like a standalone game.

Steelstick
05-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I hope Fable 4 (I know it's gonna be there someday) will be a mix of Fable 1 and 2; a story like Fable 1 and gameplay controls like Fable 2

niko da bos
05-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Indeed.

steel wins for the best fable argument, i always agree 100% with your posts. this game was great in concept, but poor in execution. just needed a couple more months to cook in the oven:p

also i cant remember how many fable 2 vs 3 threads have been created. but usually we (fable 2) win the argument:Bounce:

katloubee
05-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Eh. I preferred Fable 3. IDK why. I'm a bit of a snob tbh. I LOVE Fable 3 :D <3 <3 <3

Steelstick
05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Eh. I preferred Fable 3. IDK why. I'm a bit of a snob tbh. I LOVE Fable 3 :D <3 <3 <3

That's what you think :)
Also, I think creating threads and asking ''is this game better or is it's predecessor better'' pretty useless. I mean, you'll probably encounter dozens of different opinions about both games, 50% saying ''this game is better'' and 50% saying ''the previous one was better''

Not saying it's 50/50 in this thread, but you can clearly see multiple opinions. Some people prefer Fable 2, some people prefer Fable 3. If I had started this thread with the question ''which one is better'' I still wouldn't know for sure which one's better

Lava Tonsil
05-07-2011, 10:22 AM
For me, Fable 2 was better at the time than 3 is now.
You can't compare them both now, although Fable 3 isn't a leap forward graphically and was released with a lot of glitches and problems.
If it was released with less problems and they could have been bothered to test it properly Fable 3 would have been a much better experience.
I had near game breaking glitches several times and it killed my love for the game, even though i wanted to like it.

Fable24life
05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I played through fable 2 15+ times and fable 3 play through 2 times and I dont think I can go another round fable 3 is boring. I also like fable 2 graphics.F2 more fun hence my name

Kaz
05-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I have to say I enjoyed fable 2 much more than fable 3. I felt that they streamlined too much of the game in the third iteration. Also trading those weapons were a huge pain in the ass. :uzi:

Ragnarok1986
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Okay now I have played a fully done it's time to add my 10p.

Fable 2 or Fable 3

I'd say to play one without playing the other is daft! Yeah fable three may have lost a few good features like the wrap, wheel of things to select etc..... But Fable 3 did have some good features also the story was good, nice big maps etc :)

So I'd say both should be played but I myself liked 3 butter.

Steelstick
05-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd say to play one without playing the other is daft! Yeah fable three may have lost a few good features like the wrap, wheel of things to select etc..... But Fable 3 did have some good features also the story was good, nice big maps etc :)

So I'd say both should be played but I myself liked 3 butter.

Meh .. I didn't like the story very much .. on my second p;aythrough I did it in less than 9 hours (without rushing through)

The 3D map is a nice idea, however not executed perfectly. Where's the ''You are Here'' dot? Where's the repair all houses function? There nowhere

Plus, and I believe it was mentioned before, the world is changed way too much. There's ''only'' 50 years between 2 and 3 and yet area's like Bloodstone, Oakfield, Westcliff, Wraithmarsh have just disappeared! I mean, how hard did Logan f*ck up the kingdom to make those area's totally disappear?

Fable 3's graphics are improved, the walking is improved, but if there's a few thousand or perhaps even a few millions of people out there Fable 2 was better, then you kinda fail as a game studio

gazmaster1
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
having had fable 2 in my collection since release without playing it only to have loaded it up a few weeks ago finding myself glued to it I was contemplating buying fable 3. not now seeing to reception from you guys, very helpful thread.

niko da bos
05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Plus, and I believe it was mentioned before, the world is changed way too much. There's ''only'' 50 years between 2 and 3 and yet area's like Bloodstone, Oakfield, Westcliff, Wraithmarsh have just disappeared! I mean, how hard did Logan f*ck up the kingdom to make those area's totally disappear?

lol, when they had that chicken cutscene at the game start, and teresa said "industrial revolution has come to albion." i was like, "ya no shit, this place is a culture shock!" maybe its just a little crazy to players who spent like 50+ hours on fable 2 lol. but i did love how they kept some of my favorite villager quotes, they are a good comical relief when you are plugging away at the jobs and hear some funny guy in the backround.

i was so pumped at the idea of continuing your heros legacy with a son from fable 2. but the problem was that my (good) hero only had one child (mary or somethin) and she was nice as hell. so i was kinda mad that somehow i offspringed this asshole to ruin my family dynasty. overall a GREAT storline (imo), i loved how they gave you way more decisions that impacted the game. the only gripe i had with the storyline was that walter/jeeves didnt help me overthrow logan right after that throne room execution choice. why you making me go all over albion to prove myself to simpletons, when i am royalty god damnit! of course the game would of lost alot of its "umph" if they just handed you the throne that quickly. but i couldnt help thinking the WHOLE time, "wow i dont need you, or you, or you. give me time to farm weapons and stats, then i will kill everything. just stand behind me and watch darkness fall:woop:"

kalelredwayne
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
in some ways yes.

Steelstick
05-12-2011, 11:08 AM
the only gripe i had with the storyline was that walter/jeeves didnt help me overthrow logan right after that throne room execution choice. why you making me go all over albion to prove myself to simpletons, when i am royalty god damnit! of course the game would of lost alot of its "umph" if they just handed you the throne that quickly.

You didn't travel around the world to cconvince them of your abilities
You did it to convince the world of your abilities, to gain their trsu and their support in the whole seize-the-throne thing

Xenolith666
05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
You people have to admit, the ending to Fable 2 did suck royally. Otherwise, I like them both equally.. although having an actual inventory list as well as the rooms would have been helpful.

Ragnarok1986
05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
You people have to admit, the ending to Fable 2 did suck royally. Otherwise, I like them both equally.. although having an actual inventory list as well as the rooms would have been helpful.

I liked fable 2 ending making the choice =]

TatteredMorph
05-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Personally, I felt that there were certain aspects to Fable 3 that beat Fable 2 but just not enough. Fable 2 is the better of the two games for me, the storyline is deeper and more involved and the DLC in 2 had much more to it than the DLC in 3 has had so far..

Fable 3 almost has a 'Ahh, that'll do...' feel to it in some places. Imho, anyway. :S

Luigikid
05-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I like both games the same

adio2k07
05-29-2011, 06:11 PM
hi

ive only played fable 2 would like to know what every things of the story line and is it worth getting and are the achievments reasonable