PDA

View Full Version : Fightsticks

Josh Conroy
03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Let me start off by saying i've had my eye on the Tournament Edition of this game ever since it was announced. I know that the fightstick included has HAAP parts, to my knowledge inferior to Sanwa parts. Now my question to everyone and anyone that is willing to help me out is would it be a wise choice to buy the Real Arcade Pro EX stick from Hori for the sheer purpose of better Sanwa parts in it, or just buy the Tournament Edition? I've been a hardcore MK junkie ever since the games initial release and I plan on playing this until it's completely dead. I don't really play many other games in the fighting genre besides SF, so any opinions on this situation would help shed some light on what to do before I shell out $150 or more on this.

tobiasdennis
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Gamestop already stopped doing preorders for the tournament edition (sold out already) so you better make up your mind quick if you're gonna pre order from somewhere else.

I paid off the kollector's edition myself... I want those sexy book end figures.

Ceejus
03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Honestly, the Tournament Edition isn't even close to worth it. The Kollector's Edition is far better, and $50 cheaper. The Tournament Edition is just going for the "arcade" feel by giving you a big board with large joysticks and buttons. Using that thing sitting down seems like it would be kind of a pain. Save yourself the $50 and get the awesome looking figures/bookend instead.

Josh Conroy
03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
I have my heart set on an arcade stick though. I'm not sure whether I should get the Tournament Edition for the fightstick with Suzu-Haap parts and a layout purely made for MK, or the Real Arcade Pro EX Hori stick with Sanwa parts that can take far more abuse than the Haap parts can from playing but has a traditional japanese button layout that might actually be harder to use.

This is honestly what it comes down to: MK:TE Fightstick with inferior parts in it and an MK button layout, or a Real Arcade Pro EX Hori Fightstick with superior Sanwa parts but has the traditional japanese button layout.

I'm only going to use the fightstick with this game, and rarely SSFIV so I need opinions on what to do based on that. Please, any help is welcome.

tobiasdennis
03-08-2011, 01:26 AM
It's a matter of personal preference then man. It SOUNDS like the best bet is to buy the MK kollector's edition, and then get your real arcade pro fightstick on the side. I don't know what the difference in button layouts are, but if it's a better stick, it's a better stick. But again dude, just get what YOU think will be best. Personally i've been playing MK on a d-pad since sega genesis so i'm not interested in getting an arcade stick!

Smurfboy
03-08-2011, 01:40 AM
I've already pre-ordered the TE at Best Buy and I am extremely excited about it. You better get it since it's only about 20,000 in USA.

M 0 R T I K I A
03-08-2011, 03:32 AM
I have my heart set on an arcade stick though. I'm not sure whether I should get the Tournament Edition for the fightstick with Suzu-Haap parts and a layout purely made for MK, or the Real Arcade Pro EX Hori stick with Sanwa parts that can take far more abuse than the Haap parts can from playing but has a traditional japanese button layout that might actually be harder to use.

This is honestly what it comes down to: MK:TE Fightstick with inferior parts in it and an MK button layout, or a Real Arcade Pro EX Hori Fightstick with superior Sanwa parts but has the traditional japanese button layout.

I'm only going to use the fightstick with this game, and rarely SSFIV so I need opinions on what to do based on that. Please, any help is welcome.

If your getting the TE for Mortal Kombat, that arcade stick could be pretty hard to use with other fighting games such as SSF4, due to button layout.
this is the stick I personally use, but I think it will be hard to use with MK, due to its button layout.. but only time will tell...;
http://www.destructoid.com/mad-catz-announce-marvel-vs-capcom-2-te-fightstick-148127.phtml

Josh Conroy
03-08-2011, 03:41 AM
If your getting the TE for Mortal Kombat, that arcade stick could be pretty hard to use with other fighting games such as SSF4, due to button layout.
this is the stick I personally use, but I think it will be hard to use with MK, due to its button layout.. but only time will tell...;
http://www.destructoid.com/mad-catz-announce-marvel-vs-capcom-2-te-fightstick-148127.phtml

Yes, that's why I was hesitant on choosing the Hori with the japanese 8 button layout instead of MK's 6. I mean, getting the MK fightstick is sacrificing better parts for its better layout. But my question is.... does the MK fightstick have a headset jack on it?

EDIT: I mean, for a bit more money I could have a universal fightstick basically with the Hori. My true love lies in Mortal Kombat though, I rarely play other fighters except Street Fighter. I mean, theres others out there i'd play... it's just that i'm not really into them enough to care as much as I do about MK.

M 0 R T I K I A
03-08-2011, 03:45 AM
I would assume it has a headset, but I would try to find a better stick the the MK one, because it does look pretty cheap (no offense to anyone buying this) just try to find a better quality stick with the same, or close to the same layout

M 0 R T I K I A
03-08-2011, 03:48 AM
you can always buy a cheap arcade stick, and replace the parts with better ones, I added a better joystick to my MvC2 TE.
I use this site for parts;
http://www.lizardlick.com/ .... yes I know what it looks like on first glance, read it again!

Josh Conroy
03-08-2011, 03:57 AM
I would hope the damn thing has a headset jack for a $90 price tag, but from the photos i've seen.. alas, no headset jack but hopefully its in the back which no picture has shown yet to my knowledge.

Two questions, is there even a cheap arcade stick like the MK fightstick layout I could just replace parts to? And is it even possible to replace the MK fightstick's parts with those japanese parts? The MK fightstick is american with Suzu-Haap parts.

M 0 R T I K I A
03-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Im not 100% sure what site sells arcade sticks (pre built) but im sure there are some out there, as for replacing the MK parts, I am sure you can replace them with parts off the website I posted in my previous post, your just going to have to get parts that will fit with that case, I havent seen the inside of the MK case yet, but I know the game is held in there as well so I don't know how much space you will actually have

Josh Conroy
03-08-2011, 04:15 AM
I'm not very experienced with fightsticks to be completely honest, this will be my first fightstick purchase. I used to play MK in the arcades all the time, but I don't know much of fightsticks and modding them with parts. I'm not sure, but wouldn't the size of the buttons need to be the same as the original on the MK stick? I'm a little confused on the whole thing, but i'm hoping I can mod the MK stick with sanwa parts at some point... problem being I have no idea how to. So if theres no other stick with an MK layout that'll be my only option really.

EDIT: Here's the inside of the fightstick http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/12/mk_pad_open2.jpg