PDA

View Full Version : How is it?

A User Name
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
The title says it all. How is DA2? I loved DA:O, but to me DA2 looks worse. Does DA2 have the same quality story and combat wise? Thanks in advance.

Hoborg
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
See that's your problem right there - you think DA2 looks bad because they actually improved the lame combat from the first. I can tell you right now that if you actually liked the combat in the first game - don't bother with DA2. It's a much better game, more fluid combat, better graphics, and a better atmosphere over all.

In fact DA2 is what DA1 should have been like. It basically found its own identity after the PC-port debacle.

ll Mr Bubbles ll
03-08-2011, 06:47 PM
i loved the first, got the whole 1250g and spent well over 100 hours... im playing the 2nd now and i love it yeah sure the combat requires you to press A couple more times but who cares?

If your going to gripe about a game because it requires you to move your finger a couple more times each time you battle then put the game away... you dont deserve to play it because your more fixated on finding flaws than enjoying and exploring the story.
/end rant

AnubusPrime
03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Frankly i agree DA1 was awesome! Ive never played a game with so many diffrent story twists depending on ur choices. Comabat could've been better but it was great for what the game was. I actualy completly wrote DA2 off when i first satrted reading on it, cause i thought there was no character customazation. Then i downloaded demo and found all ur stuck with is the race,but still fully customizeable feature and sex wise. Gone run out agrab this now.

El Presidente
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Dragon Age 2 is definitely a very good game, but in my opinion it's not as good as the first one and it is not worthy of the title Dragon Age 2. They should have called it Dragon Age: Chronicles or DA: Battles or some stuff like that, but not DA 2.

The graphics are a double-edged sword - most of the characters look great and many dialogues shine with great facial and body expressions. On the other hand many random NPCs (i.e. figures that are purely for atmospheric reasons in there and do neither talk nor really act in the story) look almost last-gen and the environments are downright ugly. I haven't seen such loveless and poorly detailed environments in a triple-A title for quite some time now.

The story and characters are Bioware at its best - which means gaming's very finest indeed! But don't expect too much of your savegame's choices to carry over or characters making an important reappearance, as they won't. As long as you don't expect a proper sequel to Origins and are happy with something different and new instead, you get pure greatness in this part of the game.

The combat is improved as well, at least if you're judging it from the standpoint of a console player. It's faster and more hectic, but at least the boss encounters still have lots of tactical depth too them (some even more so than in Origins) and you still can pause your game and give orders to all group members. Although the stupid amount of blood and gore is just ridiculously over the top and therefore never reaches the dark and dirty look and feel of DA:O.

Nevertheless Bioware finally managed to include some really nasty things into this title. You can sense the time-pressure behind DA 2's development in many parts of the game. Many questing-areas are simply copy-pasted, every piece of rock, every texture and all the sparely placed plants and objects are 100% identical in these dungeons and buildings, although the game indicates that you are exploring are totally different place.
Also you're party-members don't have real inventories any more, they just got rings, amulettes and one set of armour, which can be canged through solving a companion-quest like in ME2. No finding new pieces of equipment except for the main protagonist.
And last but not least the great story has it's major flaws as well, which are a pretty sudden finale and some odd shortcomings. Like the framework-story never getting to a real conclusion. Or Bioware promising that DA 2 would deliver ten years of the Champion of Kirkwall's live - but the final game just let's you play through seven years. Did anyone say "DLC"? -.-

To put it all in a nutshell: X360A's rating unfortunately is pretty absurd and Dragon Age 2 sadly suffers from some minor as well as a few major setbacks, mostly due to the short development cycle. Nevertheless it's a very good RPG with great story and characters and a pretty good combat-system.
My rating would currently be around 84.

Opiate42
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Argh!!!! I can't stop thinking about it, it's distracting. The only thing I missed in DAO was Grim Reaper....bastard of a bastard that.

Bugger: one thing I did not know as a first timer not doing in-store pickup, Gamestop in Canada ships by Purolator, which requires signatures and delivers only when you're not home, adamently so. If I was home they'd do a drive-by notice stickering without knocking as a rule.

I have to go pick it up at the depot on the way home .... ARGH!!!! But I will have it today....must must must....

EMP
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I'll probably rent the game I didn't like what I seen from the demo but all demo's are more or less shit so it's hard to get a proper opinion on the game. Either way I like the story and system they have.

solo07
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
@El Presidente. Wtf? you're a moron.

Legendary801
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Please don't flame me!!! I didn't get into the original too much because of how many hours I put in KOTOR and I just wasn't ready to get back into that type of game. BUT Mass Effect is my favorite RPG ever! so I purchased DA:2 just for the bioware edition but haven't opened it yet, I was just wondering which does it play closer to now, Mass Effect or same roots with KOTOR? Thanks in Advance!

El Presidente
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
@El Presidente. Wtf? you're a moron.

Love your objective argumentation and mature reasoning :rolleyes:

Boosta
03-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I played DA:O on both PC and xbox. I have to say, it was much better on the pc. For that reason, I am playing it on PC now, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Dr Popodopolus
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Love your objective argumentation and mature reasoning :rolleyes:

He just can't handle somebody putting some reasoning behind their points against his beloved holy grail.

I am lurking these forums to see what the general consensus is regarding the transition between DA:O and DA2. DA:O has interested me for quite some time but then I played the DA2 demo last week and was not impressed at all. Graphically it was average at best, I was disgusted with the animations in the cut scenes to be frank.

It seems like there are quite a few things different with DA2 so I think I will still look into DA:O. I need a game to devote some serious time into as I have no real interest in any game in the first half of this year. On top of the fact that I am a fan of KOTOR style gameplay and Baldurs gate.

It is funny that you came to a score of 84 actually as that's the average for DA2 on metacritic right now. The user reviews is way down at 4.8! :eek:

Fight Night Champion is sitting at 85 :eek: edging out DA2 ;)

DsFreak
03-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Only a few more days :P

fastNcurious
03-09-2011, 05:25 AM
I got DA:O day one, played through all the DLCs, and loved the game. Based on my playing the demo for DA2 and reading reviews (all the good ones just to see what nitpicky bad things they had to say), I decided today to wait until the ultimate edition.

***** minor spolier alert *****

First, I felt there was lack of attention to detail in the demo, not graphics-wise (which looks like a step back from DA:O, imo), but continuity-wise. For example, at the part where the tainted brother (?) had to be killed before Flemeth would help you, he gets stabbed and then the next cutscene pans out and you don't see the dagger. Assuming they pulled the dagger out, I didn't hear the dagger clang on the ground or him reacting to a dagger being yanked out. And there was no blood or mark on his immaculate armor. That just totally took me out of what seemed like an emotional moment. I fear what similar lack of attention to detail will be in the full game.

Secondly, even all the good reviews said the story wasn't "epic" for various reasons. I play games for the gamplay, for fun, and for the story. I was iffy when I heard the story would span 10 yrs and you'd be jumping from memory, and all these reviews basically confirmed my concerns. One of the many things that I hate about the campaign in the CoD games is how you jump from character to character. I don't ever feel a sense of story, of connectedness, of meaning in what my guy is supposed to accomplish. It takes me out of the story completely and I don't enjoy that. Plus the cliffhanger ending of DA2 doesn't appeal to me, either.

Third, I read elsewhere that auto-attack is not in the game, but may be added in a future patch. While I know some people are ok with spamming the A button, it was one of the things that annoyed me about the demo. If I couldn't stand spamming the A button in the short demo, there's no way I would tolerate doing so in the full game.

Fourth, I love my RPGs, but Skyrim is coming out later this year as well as ME3 so I can wait. If both those games were not being released, then I would probably get DA2 to satisfy my RPG craving.

Fifth (some of you may not care about this reason), Homefront is releasing next week. I am absolutely getting that game day one. While I can afford to get both, I don't like dividing my attention with too many new games at once.

I was originally planning to hop on the Kmart deal for DA2, but the nearest Kmarts to me are far and in iffy neighborhoods, and together with the above reasons, basically convinced me not to make that drive.

Worhammer
03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
See that's your problem right there - you think DA2 looks bad because they actually improved the lame combat from the first. I can tell you right now that if you actually liked the combat in the first game - don't bother with DA2. It's a much better game, more fluid combat, better graphics, and a better atmosphere over all.

In fact DA2 is what DA1 should have been like. It basically found its own identity after the PC-port debacle.
Thank you for stamping your terrible, misguided and misinforming opinion as fact.

Some of us enjoyed the combat from DA1. Some of us miss auto attack. I do like the DA2 combat better, but I still want auto attack.

Snowwwwy
03-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Ive heard its really good. Ive heard the first one is better but Ive also heard this one is better. So I dont know. I guess I just have to try it out for myself and see what happens and whether I like it or not.

El Presidente
03-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Fourth, I love my RPGs, but Skyrim is coming out later this year as well as ME3 so I can wait. If both those games were not being released, then I would probably get DA2 to satisfy my RPG craving.

You won't have to wait that long as the summer's already cramped with great RPGs like Deus Ex, Dungeon Siege 3 and Witcher 2 (if you have a good enough PC - I'd expect the 360-version for winter 2011 or spring 2012).
What I played of these three already promised greater roleplaying-joy than DA 2 ever did. And these are the words of a Bioware-maniac and someone who spend hundreds of hours in the DA-universe with all the books and the PC as well as Xbox-version of DA:O.

AoA Requiem
03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Enjoying this one 100% more than DA:O

Mjkjets
03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Thank you for stamping your terrible, misguided and misinforming opinion as fact.

Some of us enjoyed the combat from DA1. Some of us miss auto attack. I do like the DA2 combat better, but I still want auto attack.

Apparently, the auto attack option was accidentally left out of DA2. There's an excellent chance it will be included in a patch. I'm still early in the game, so I can't really say which DA is better. There seems to be way too much pre-order content however ( and most of it is already on the disc). Damn you EA

Greendisease
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
LOL @ All of you. Either you like it or you don't... I love people going to great lengths of time to either criticize or praise a game. Personally, I think it is great... I enjoyed the first one, and I'm sure DA3 will be awesome as well...

JeJans
03-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I never played the first game, my brother told me he didnīt like it to much but im surprised i like this.