PDA

View Full Version : SO... Skip and get GOTY edition?

EMP
03-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Well lately I have ben tending to buy a game like the first Dragon Age, Borderlands and Mass Effect 2, but now it just seems like these game's just seem to spurt out so much Dlc that it's just a better idea to wait an getting the GOTY edition later. Maybe I tend now to lean in this direction because after a while after beating the game, I don't even play these game's that much and when dlc is released I just ignore them. Either way I think that the GOTY edition is a better way to experience everything the game has (Game itself and DLC included). What do you guy's do? Do you tend to shy away from game's like this with a lot of DLC and wait for the GOTY edition or do you seem to like getting the game right away as well as the DLC.

OceanH
03-09-2011, 01:39 AM
I'd rather call it a "compilation" version (like in the music industry) rather than "GOTY" as this might go to Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, I love Dragon Age it's just the wording is off as Dragon Age: Origins never had a GOTY but an "Ultimate Edition".

What I usually do: I'll play it, enjoy the benefit of it, sell it, and then buy a compilation version later. The amount of money I'd lose in the resale is the price I paid to experience the game (I'd lose around $10-$15 value in resale on eBay). I mean if you're good with economics, it's worth it as you won't lose much in the resale (unless you trade it at a gaming store).

And to quote someone too: As with all new things be it cars, electronics, homes, etc. You want it new and now? You pay the premium. Want to save money and can wait? Buy it later when it's cheaper. It all comes down to how much you want it and what's it worth to you.

Personally I rent all new games, beat it, enjoy the benefit of playing it now for only $6, and buy it later when it hits the $20 bin to add to my collection. Because of this, I've always been able to own every gaming system that's came out and played most of the games that's availible for each system.

mickjsg
03-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I'd rather pay and enjoy now, than months or more down the line.

EMP
03-09-2011, 01:47 AM
I'd rather call it a "compilation" version (like in the music industry) rather than "GOTY" as this might go to Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, I love Dragon Age it's just the wording is off as Dragon Age: Origins never had a GOTY but an "Ultimate Edition".

Agree I think Skyrim will be GOTY, but I mean I have seen game's like Borderlands, CoD or Batman AA have GOTY edition's that include DLC but really haven't achieved GOTY awards. Either way in this discussion when I use the word GOTY edition I guess it can vary from whatever special edition it is.

OceanH
03-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Agree I think Skyrim will be GOTY, but I mean I have seen game's like Borderlands, CoD or Batman AA have GOTY edition's that include DLC but really haven't achieved GOTY awards. Either way in this discussion when I use the word GOTY edition I guess it can vary from whatever special edition it is.

They did reach GOTY awards. Just google from who they got them.

brandonator14
03-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Wait and buy GOTY because you know this game will have a lot of DLC since they said theres gonna be at least 3 DLC's before the game ever came out.

cstbrophy
03-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I'd rather pay and enjoy now, than months or more down the line.

this. Mass Effect 2 still doesn't have a game of the year.

13ip0lar
03-09-2011, 07:14 AM
I rather wait and get the game and all the subsequent DLC for the price people are paying now. It might not be exactly a year, but I can wait. Also since one of you mentioned Mass Effect, I basically got that game played it thoroughly through within the first month and sold it, I didn't get any of the DLC. I'll probably do the same with ME3, DLC is cool, but as great as BioWare is they still make DLC for one reason...to take money out of your pockets. Again the DLC may be good, but never is anything really "game-changing", and is just a way to kill some extra time with your favorite game. /pass

PuttyGod
03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm waiting for the Ultimate Edition. I tried buying the first one, but the PS3 version has an unplayable framerate and I haven't dug too far into my 360 Ultimate edition because I've already done the early parts.. and the Fade is killing me with tedium.

Off topic, but was anybody else rendered nauseous from the review on this site? I mean, I love x360a game reviews, but it just sounds so... manufactured. This is the part that did it for me: " Visuals: 100% From a visual standpoint, it's virtually impossible to pick out a single flaw with Dragon Age II's visuals."
Wait.
Excuse me?
No, really, what is that? We've all seen videos, played the demo, and many have played the full game (including me, my buddy stayed up for it). The framerate drops to 22-24 on a regular basis, the textures are god awful, the environments are repetitive (I played/watched 3 hours and I saw near identical cave dungeons and cliff peaks numerous times).
And the review argues that it's virtually impossible to pick out a single flaw in the game's visuals.
Gears 2, Red Dead, Mass Effect 2, and Halo Reach didn't even receive 100's. The review is set in stone, now, but I hope people think about how ridiculous that statement is.

mickjsg
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
and is just a way to kill some extra time with your favorite game. /pass
I can't tell if you're being intentionally dense or not, if people enjoy a game then of course they're gonna snap up DLC for it. Is that really so outlandish?

Worhammer
03-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Buying it now, because the end of the year is packed with all sorts of crap that will prevent me from playing older games. As it is, March is pretty much the perfect time in my extended gaming schedule. September is Gears 3, November is Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 whenever that comes out will take up a good chunk of time...