PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: No Competitive Multiplayer

kliqIMB
03-09-2011, 04:23 AM
For those of you that played the first two SR games and know how atrocious the online achievements (and game in general) were. Okay, maybe it wasn't atrocious in the second one, but it's probably the glitchiest, most annoying, thing to do. Spending four hours sitting in a SR1 lobby waiting for the other team to connect comes to mind.

However, all that will be null and void in SR3 (or rather SR: The Third). Taken from the newest Game Informer, "Both previous Saints games featured competitive multiplayer modes, but they weren't nearly as popular as the main story. Because of this, Volition scrapped the competitive multiplayer Saints Row: The Third. "The majority of people want the single-player and co-experience, so we're focusing on blowing that out of the water," says the senior producer Greg Donovan. While you can't take on the competition in Big Ass Chains or Strong Arm anymore, co-op returns. Every mission and activity can enjoyed with a friend, with full drop-in and drop-out support.

Grey Stache
03-09-2011, 04:29 AM
If it means they'll focus on the co-op and single player, then that's good. I never really played the competitive anyway.I'm hoping it will have 4 player co-op, as I think 2 just had 2, and I have 2 friends who will definitely be getting it, and one other who might. I'm really looking forward to this ^^

Drewbles
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
So far im already sold on this game, esp thanks to the leaked info.
Rc gun sounds awesome, esp if you can use it in co-op. Your friend will be driving along and all of a sudden uve taken control,haha.

4 player co-op would be awesome, the complete freedom of the city.

I never bothered with the online stuff before, was kinda boring and very glitchy

Dr Popodopolus
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
OMG That is some of best news I could possibly want!

The only 2 achievements I am missing on SR2 are the ones for Kingpin (what a stupid achievement :mad:) and the stunt jumps because I never got around to them.

As there will only be single player and co-op achievements in this game I can rejoice at the FACT I will have sweat my ass off until I acquire every single achievement in Saints Row: The Third. I will play this game day in, day out, until I achieve 100%! Exciting! :Bounce:

Grey Stache
03-10-2011, 12:01 AM
TBH I don't care too much for achievements. I'll get them if I want to, but I won't put myself through hell to get them. I barely got any of the multiplayer achievements in SR2, because I didn't enjoy it that much, and it could take me from 15-30 minutes to find ONE game.

On the other hand, I worked hard at the single player and co-op achievements, because I enjoy the single player and co-op so much.

I was glad to hear they scrapped a mode that was, in my opinion, pretty boring, especially when you add in how awkward it was to get into a game.
I think that, now with single and co-op only, they might put more effort into it, and give us more of what was great in 2.

I would buy 3, multiplayer or no multiplayer, without a second thought, I just think they will be able to give us a better single player and co-op this way, with it now being the only focus.

Dr Popodopolus
03-10-2011, 01:58 AM
It's not about being good enough to get an achievement but more about how tedious and shitty the MP was to play. The co-op experience was 1000x the game the MP was. The Co-op is played for FUN and MP is not FUN, hence the reason it is no longer in the game, Volition aren't stupid. The MP was shit and now it is gone, hallelujah!

Death Metal Jim
03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I got 100% in both Saints Row games and I still think the multiplayer is pure crap. You obviously haven't attempted the multi in either game, otherwise you wouldn't have written such useless unknowledgeable crap. In fact I'll make you a bet, go in the Protect The Pimp room in Saints Row 1 and tell me how much 'fun' you had. I'm betting 5 minutes and the disc will be out of the Xbox and thrown on the ground. The second Saints multi isn't much better, with all the Rocket Whores who camp inside the building and just keep using the same cheap tactics over and over again.

The fact is this is the best news that has ever happened to the Saints Row series. Now they can focus entirely on the coop campaign and make it as crisp as possible. The coop in Saints 2, while it was fun as hell, was also the biggest glitchfest I've ever seen in gaming. My partner would repeatedly glitch through the floor, or get stuck inside a wall. Then there was the mission with Shaundi turning into a ghost and not picking up the boxes to load into the truck. Took about half a dozen times of reloading that mission before she finally loaded up the last box. With Saints 3, they now have no excuse to make sure things like this don't happen. I'm expecting one of the best coop experiences yet with this new game, and I think they're gonna deliver.

mjc0961
03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
http://operatorchan.org/n/src/n120380_applause.gif

The multiplayer of the first two Saints Row games sucked some major fat asses. If they are axing it to bring us even more single player and co-op goodness, I can only be happy. This is great news. Good riddance, shitty MP! :D

In fact I'll make you a bet, go in the Protect The Pimp room in Saints Row 1 and tell me how much 'fun' you had. I'm betting 5 minutes and the disc will be out of the Xbox and thrown on the ground.
*SPOILERS* You will be teamkilled by douchebags who think KDR is super important. I remember this very well. Of course, once you start defending yourself and kill them back, they leave because they know they aren't getting free kills anymore and deaths drop their precious KDR.

Snowwwwy
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Meh. Not a real biggie.

iFrenck
04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
i hope if they are focussing alot on co-op, they make it lagg free. On my other account i played SR 1 and SR 2 alot, when i played SR 2 co-op (to get the storyline achievements) me and my friend had alot of lagg and we were getting kicked out each other game every 10-20mins.

i will still buy this game for the funny gameplay!

LordThurisaz
05-13-2011, 12:00 AM
I am glad of this, for the simple fact that I think xbox has been lacking in the COOP games lately. So this is a big step and I am excited.

spencer8
05-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Although I am sad SR3 wont have competitive multiplayer, I look forward to all the improvements to the storymode the now have the time and space for. The multiplayer needed alot of work anyways. I didnt take long for people to figure out how to work lag into an advantage for theirself. I think they should make the storymode somewhat endless since that is the game will be now. By endless I mean once you beat the real storymode it should generate some random missions that dont even have to tie into the story mode much. For example, they could say some bikers are trying to start a rival gang and you have to go kill or recruit them before they become a problem or maybe some hippies are starting their own grow lab and you got to go destroy it to keep control of drug market. Doesnt have to go along with the storyline so it could just keep happening over and over along with other scenarios. It would get boring after a while but at least it would give you missions to do instead of driving around with no purpose.

Jiga.Puzzle.5
05-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I didn't mind the multiplayer in the first Saints Row I really loved "Blinged Out Ride.". In SR1 the hectic online mode was kinda amusing.

In Saints Row 2 it was just a cluster of disappointment. Nothing really improved from the first one,and they made that stupid Strong Arm game which could had been fun but was poorly designed.

I guess it's bitter sweat that there won't be multiplayer in Saints Row 3. The online achievement where always a pain to get,but the online was good for a laugh now and again.

gurryd23
06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I think it is good that there isint the multiplayer this time is was horrible in the second one and now they can focus on the coop campaign experience i am looking for a good coop game right now and brink just didnt do it for me i hope this one will...

DragNviper13
06-12-2011, 06:19 AM
So glad there isnt any multiplayer....the game is meant to be more of a co-op experience imo...trying to 1000 out the first game was horrible with all those glitchers on protect the pimp

Rasjr12
06-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Awesome news

XxIPUNISH3RIxX
06-18-2011, 11:12 PM
thank god no multiplayer their multiplayer was a bitch

CheetyPants1327
06-28-2011, 02:07 AM
If it means they'll focus on the co-op and single player, then that's good. I never really played the competitive anyway.I'm hoping it will have 4 player co-op, as I think 2 just had 2, and I have 2 friends who will definitely be getting it, and one other who might. I'm really looking forward to this ^^
I completely agree

MotoJoe
07-19-2011, 12:16 AM
By endless I mean once you beat the real storymode it should generate some random missions that dont even have to tie into the story mode much. .

Agreed, that would be awesome, and keep the replay value high.
I loved MP in the first two Saints Row, but as long as they make co-op better, I'm all for it.

TRoW WAR GMRoW
07-27-2011, 07:27 PM
So I think it's safe to say no competitive multiplayer is good for all' ;)

Xplozion27
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Honestly,

I'm pleased with this. Saints Row 1 was unbearable online and in the second it was better but still wasn't particularly great. But I have to say I found myself with every second my Xbox was on I playing the story (with a friend too) so I'm very pleased and I'm so excited it's crazy.

I'm probably not going to get Halo: CEA because I'm so excited for this.

DFB 1708
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
http://operatorchan.org/n/src/n120380_applause.gif

The multiplayer of the first two Saints Row games sucked some major fat asses. If they are axing it to bring us even more single player and co-op goodness, I can only be happy. This is great news. Good riddance, shitty MP! :D

*SPOILERS* You will be teamkilled by douchebags who think KDR is super important. I remember this very well. Of course, once you start defending yourself and kill them back, they leave because they know they aren't getting free kills anymore and deaths drop their precious KDR.
^This^

SR MP isn't even fun, it's just random shooting & spawn killing.
Wait what? You get KDR for teamkilling, roflmaool.

mjc0961
08-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Wait what? You get KDR for teamkilling, roflmaool.I don't know. I can't figure out anything else they'd want to spend their time teamkilling for though. Maybe just griefing, but if that's the case, why quit the match when people start defending themselves? You can still grief just fine even if you get killed a few times yourself, because if your team is focused on not getting killed by one of their own, they aren't as focused on the enemy team and thus the griefing would still be successful.

Jiga.Puzzle.5
08-16-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't know. I can't figure out anything else they'd want to spend their time teamkilling for though. Maybe just griefing, but if that's the case, why quit the match when people start defending themselves? You can still grief just fine even if you get killed a few times yourself, because if your team is focused on not getting killed by one of their own, they aren't as focused on the enemy team and thus the griefing would still be successful.

People did it purely because they where douchebags who knew you couldn't kick them out for doing it.

Remember Halo 2 online before they had a boot option, and every now and again you'd get a moron who just team kill the whole game? Yeah it's like that.

Plus I don't think anyone care about their stats online. Although my team did win 35 straight games of Blinged out Ride in Saints Row 1 :p.

mjc0961
08-17-2011, 01:22 AM
People did it purely because they where douchebags who knew you couldn't kick them out for doing it.I don't think so, because like I said, why would the guy leave as soon as I knew what he was up to and killed him back? If all he wanted was to be a douchebag, there's no reason to leave after getting killed. Maybe some people were just being dicks but I think the one guy I ran into was in it for the stats.

njbrouillet25
08-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Not a bad idea seeing as more people like to play the story with there friends

Snipe777
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
So i guess none of u guys got in the top ten gang leaderboard in saint row 1 cuzz thats shit was and still is the best multiplayer experience i ever ad(So much drama with other gangs I remember u ad to be careful with every new member cuz u neva knew he could be a spy from another set or they would infiltrate ur gang and start lobbie in private and just starting losing rank games so we would go down in the leaderboard shit was some crazy soap opra shit)then they took out gangs from the second one and it sucked big time so i dont really care anymore about saints row multiplayer but again saint row 1 gangs was the shiznit u ad to be there back then to understand. CHUCH!!!

TheZombieReaper
08-31-2011, 07:59 PM
So i guess none of u guys got in the top ten gang leaderboard in saint row 1 cuzz thats shit was and still is the best multiplayer experience i ever ad(So much drama with other gangs I remember u ad to be careful with every new member cuz u neva knew he could be a spy from another set or they would infiltrate ur gang and start lobbie in private and just starting losing rank games so we would go down in the leaderboard shit was some crazy soap opra shit)then they took out gangs from the second one and it sucked big time so i dont really care anymore about saints row multiplayer but again saint row 1 gangs was the shiznit u ad to be there back then to understand. CHUCH!!!

I was gutted that there was no gangs in saints row 2, but when i herd there was not multiplier on saints row the third i almost cried.

DMpimp13
09-01-2011, 02:32 AM
I bet they'll still make a ridiculous achievement for Kingpin

heuvadeuce
09-01-2011, 06:37 AM
As someone who pissed away hours of time on Saints Row in boosting sessions helping people get kingpin who didnt return the favour Im damn happy to learn the third has no competitive online.

In fact im so happy that when i get the chance Im going to jump in the air and click my heels together

Snipe777
09-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I was gutted that there was no gangs in saints row 2, but when i herd there was not multiplier on saints row the third i almost cried.Atleast somebody knows what im fuccing talking bout and shit I feel ur pain homie

BrassBallz
09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Personally I'm glad as I never liked the multiplayer component. I think it's better to invest the time and resources into making the campaign and co-op the best it can be.

Mapmakermaster
09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
This is great news!
Saints Row competitive multiplayer was the worst thing that ever happened to Xbox 360. The first was laggy as hell and the second had massive frame rate issues due to the highly irritating smoke grenades.

Multiplayer achievements are the devil's work.

DMpimp13
09-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I'll give you guys saints 2 multiplayer sucked, but I guess I'm the only person who liked saints row 1 multiplayer. Got all the achievements legit as well, thought it was fun.

Barad
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm over the moon to hear this.

tbdcakes
10-10-2011, 02:37 AM
i prefer no multiplayer for saints row 3, but instead online co-op, although maybe in the 40 weeks of dlc, they could add traditional multiplayer, afterall its 40 f*cking weeks, and theres only 52 weeks in a year

d0ct0rscarecr0w
10-10-2011, 04:37 AM
I never really cared about GTA IV's multiplayer and honestly if they made a competitive multiplayer here I doubt I'd care.

I am however interested in the whole Co-op part, haven't played 2s so it will be new to me.

steamboatidk
10-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Thank God now i can probably fully get all the achievements but r.i.p one shot foam finger didnt even join games in sr2 jusf ran around smacking each other across that gym.

JuSt BLaZe
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah well at least they have COOP and I'm cool with that.

Blasphemy
10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Atleast somebody knows what im fuccing talking bout and shit I feel ur pain homie

I spent ages on SR1's multiplayer, gang match PTP was the shit. When SR2 didn't have gangs and everyone was pissed about it I was sure it would be back in SR3. I've never played a game with a better multiplayer than SR1. I wouldn't mind this as much if the SR1 gang servers were still up. Still getting the game though.

kieran spartan
10-13-2011, 07:28 PM
i liked the multiplayer in the second but i suppose they will focus on the campaign more

WipeoutBoy1
10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Sweet no shitty multiplayer.

JeppeBoy
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
These are great news!
I didn't really like the competitive multiplayer in SR2.