PDA

View Full Version : Why Halo's Overrated.

Bluntman428
06-24-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm usually not the type to go off on a rant, but with all the hype surrounding Halo 3, I think now's the time.

Halo is not original. Halo is a crappy knockoff of some of the better FPS's on the PC. Why's it so popular? Because the console gamers that weren't familiar with PC shooters had never seen a game with the concepts Halo stole from far superior games. It was really the first console FPS to incorporate the elements of PC shooters that made them so great. That deserves some credit, but it certainly doesn't make Halo the best FPS game of all time like some Xbox gamers like to claim.

Before you go off on a rant about how I'm a moron who just sucks at Halo, hear me out. Halo had nothing original in it. The guns are stale, they've been done before many times on the PC. An assault rifle, a pistol, grenades, a sniper rifle, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, a plasma pistol, and the needler. The original guns from Halo. None of them are new, and frankly, they've been done far better in other games. The whole anti-gravity thing? Yeah, done many times before, most noticeably in Tribes.

I played the Halo 3 beta, hoping it would be better than it's predeccesors, but unfortunately it was identical to Halo 2, with a couple new weapons. The spartan laser was cool, but the spikers which were the only new addition were just straight up lame. Nothing about Halo 3 struck me as cool or original, it just hit me as the same shite I've been playing for years. Nothing new or cool, just watered down dribble I've seen done a dozen times before on the PC.

What makes it worse, Bungie doesn't even add anything new to make you really anticipate the game. There's no new skins for the models, it's the same stupid Spartan design, with no twists other than you can add a decal to your armor that no one will notice or care about. They'll probably add the Covenant model in the final version, but the fact that they NEVER balanced it in Halo 2 to remove the hit detection issues doesn't give me much faith in that prospect.

The guns are really not original at all. There's not many of them, and frankly, they aren't fun to shoot. The biggest draw to shooters for me are how fun and unique the guns are. And Halo's guns all shoot the same to me. It's not really satisfying at all to get a kill with most guns in Halo. It just feels like another frag. Games like Shadowrun and Gears of War have unique guns that each have their own feel and tactics, but Halo seems to be the average weaponry in every sense.

I love the 360, and I wish Halo was better than it was, but frankly I think it's one of the worst shooters on the 360. Shadowrun, Call of Duty, Prey, The Darkness, Call of Juarez, Bioshock...they all have gameplay that breaks the mold. All Halo offers is a watered down version of PC shooters, and the combat hasn't evolved at all over two sequels.

That's just my opinion though, feel free to disagree. :)

Lefthanded
06-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree with you man halo does need some new guns it needs something innovative it needs to be reborn

Cold Rival
06-24-2007, 08:40 AM
An absolutely cracking arguement, and I agree with you all the way. Halo is nothing new, and I don't see why so many people love it so much when there's so much better out there now.

Spades12321
06-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Your right Halo is an overated game series

italianstallion
06-24-2007, 02:38 PM
You shouldve saved your rant for something worth a cent.

You are comparing an unfinished game to games that are already out and some you have never played.

Also, there will be different spartan skins, that info has been going around the web for weeks now.....

Zef
06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
I didn't even need to play the beta to know it was a bad game, the only reason I would have had to play the game was to see how the story ends but there are two reasons I don't need to buy it.

1. It will be on the internet after a day.
2. The hero will save the day, get the girl, Earth will be saved, people will rejoice, sunsets will be ridden into and any other movie/game clichés will pop up.

It is good to see that the 360 owners have some differences to Xbox owners in that they don't all worship Halo. Everyone should use their Halo money to sponsor a dog for a few weeks, or buy an African child.

The Pants Party
06-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I didn't even read that, but I know you're wrong, because the term "overrated" is subjective. Something can be to one person, and then the next person doesn't think so. You could have said "Why I think Halo's Overrated" maybe, but then again, who cares what you think? :p

Segnius
06-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Only thing that makes Halo better than your average FPS is vehicles and the matchmaking system that makes it easy to get into games with friends. As far as gameplay is concerned, I think its just an average shooter, nothing more, nothing less. Except when you have a battle on a map with vehicles and there are a lot of people in the game, then it gets considerably more fun. There's already Battlefield for that though.

SegaSaturnSNK
06-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Halo been overrated since it first began and like you said, it copied other FPS games. Not original at all. Halo will always be known for multiplayer because the story sucks ass.

invincible rob
06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree, Halo maybe over-rated but thats not why I'm not getting it.
Zef's right, the storyline will be so predictable, they probably got it from a childs nursery rhyme book.
I personally the online will be crap beyond all recognition, you Kill someone and your a "5h0tty-h0g, f4gg0t, (lots more incoherent curse words)" no matter which weapon you used or how you killed them *cough* gears *cough*
Also for the first 4-5 weeks or so online will be filled with Glitchers, until Bungee come up with patches that don't work.

Sure some people can take hour after hour of pointless online abuse, me, no thanks.

Wolf
06-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. First of all, drop me some names of the PC games that Halo so nonchalantly ripped off without offering them credit. Second, I just don't think the impact of the Halo games has really hit you. It gives a great sense of accomplishment for everything you do; it's more than a simple run-and-gun type shooter where you have to save the world. It's much more like you're merely a fragment of it and fight for your own meaning and purpose. It gives you a sense of place in the world, and, for that reason, a genuine sense of achieving something. That's why it's not overrated.

L3giOn
06-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I disagree with you for many reasons but all I'm going to say is this: If you don't like Halo, just don't play it. ;) There's no reason to bash it. :(

Darth Odan
06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
The guns:

Assault Riffle, pistol, etc. What do you expect in Five hundred years? Do you think Humanity will invent a Lightsaber by then? Hell no, we will be using projectiles for centuries to come. Also, our largest bullets[50 calibers] are the smallest in the Halo Universe.

Your argument is like: I don't like Call of Duty because they have the same guns and game play like Medal of Honor, except the game hasn't come out.

Another thing, the story for Halo is unique, I haven't seen any like it. Tell me what game has an orbital MAC gun? Or a game with a parasite that can merge with other organic beings?

If your going to criticize, wait till the game is released.

Mr Hey
06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
As I have stated before on many music forums, JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS POPULAR DOESN"T MEAN ITS OVERRATED. I never really loved the Halo series and do agree it is overrated, but it did so many things. The party/matchmaking system we love and know...thank you the Halo series. Though I never really played it, Halo 2 was a revolutionary event for online and helped XBox Live greatly on the original console. Though it did take other ideas and other things, that doesn't make it completely unoriginal. Most things (games, movies, music) take parts of different ideas and weld them together. Some of your rant would be like saying Shadowrun isn't original because it features a shotgun...:confused: Halo did have an original feel, though it did use a lot of things that were used before. So I agree it is overrated, but I can't wait for Halo 3. The beta didn't have any campaign and was a preview.
End of rant response.

Rand al Thor 19
06-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Is anything original anymore??? Hasn't everything been done to death a million times over??? Halo isn't original but then again nothing is. So what's the point of this thread??? To troll Halo 3??? To make light of it's fans?? What is the point???

Clipse 2
06-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Is anything original anymore??? Hasn't everything been done to death a million times over???
Excellent point Rand. The main thing that does make Halo stick out compared to other FPS games is the story-line like Odan said. Take Call of Duty, Metal of Honor, and the rest of the WWII games for example; what is the point in those? They're playing background stories to what went on in a war some ~70 years ago, I know how the story ends before picking up the controller.

The fact of the matter is like Rand said, nothing is original anymore other than story-lines and even some of those aren't original but taken from history. Sure Halo could use an actual selection of weapons that are customizable like in Rainbow Six but then you're taking away from the story some. Everything today is a copy from what id Software did back in the 90's to jump start the genre; from there on you just create different stories and different weapon designs.

Sure Halo 3 will probably play and resemble Halo 2 but people are still wanting it. People want to know how its going to end and thus they'll buy it; based on that you can't say its truly overrated, just highly anticipated.

Stinkyf1re
06-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Wow Bluntman, there are so many logical fallacies in your argument/ignorant rant that i don't even know where to begin!

So instead of actually reading your n00bish post, i will just say i disagree and continue on my day, as if i never saw it.

And just for you...
"You are a moron who sucks at halo"

:mad: that post pissed me off :mad:

Maka
06-25-2007, 01:36 AM
I disagree with many of the things you say, but mostly one thing I cant go without saying. You say that Halo borrows from different games, and its not unique. And then you mention Call of Duty (Enough WWII Games?) Prey (Quake?) and then a couple of Sci-Fi shooters, as games which you like.

Although the weapons arent all the most original, they all handle differently, and have different strategies and ways to use them. They are all very different in a sense.

I'll also be happy to tell you that in the final game, they will have an Elite and a female spartan. Not only that, but in addition to the "Patch" or your design, you can actually pick types of armour, and it affects your play (Ex. Walk slower, Stronger Melee) and they all have a unique look.

"You suck at Halo"

Bluntman428
06-25-2007, 02:02 AM
Is anything original anymore??? Hasn't everything been done to death a million times over??? Halo isn't original but then again nothing is. So what's the point of this thread??? To troll Halo 3??? To make light of it's fans?? What is the point???

Okay, no, I'm no troll amigo. The point of this thread was to debate Halo and it's popularity. Trolls post unintelligible dribble with the sole purpose of angering others and baiting them into silly arguments. Yeah, you might not agree with me, but at least I took the time to explain why I dislike the game. I also never put down Halo fans. Just because I don't like a game, I'm not going to bash people who do. Launching personal attacks against someone for their preference in gaming is just petty and worthless.

As far as the guns go, just saying "Oh every game has the same guns, every game rips off other shooters, etc." is a flawed argument. Look at Gears of War for instance. Yeah, there's a few default guns in there like the Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, and Shotgun. But not only did Epic come up with some really cool new ideas like the Hammer of Dawn and the Torque Bow, they took the old guns and gave them a unique twist. The chainsaw on the assault rifle, active reloads, the ability to melee with whatever gun you're using...all these little details give the game a unique feel that makes the combat more fluid and flat out fun. So yes, a lot of ideas have been done before, but that doesn't mean a developer has to be lazy and stop coming up with new ones.

I'll give credit where it's due though. Halo really launched online console gaming into the mainstream and made it accessible. The matchmaking, ranking system, and all the other bells and whistles are amazing. The storyline's brilliant, although the sequel was somewhat hard to follow at some points. Losing the constant hunt for health packs in exchange for recharging health was also a great idea, made evident by the fact that most shooters coming out these days are following the same mold.

I guess what really pissed me off about Halo 3 was Bungie's attitude, and what seems like laziness to me. While watching the Making Of vidocs, you could tell these guys think they created the best game ever made. Which would be fine, and at the time I expected Halo 3 to be as good as they made it sound. But when playing the Beta, all I could think was "Wow, these guys really didn't change anything at all". The game looks and plays almost identically to Halo 2. Why does a game with a budget that's likely bigger than any other game ever created feel exactly the same as a game developed three years ago on an outdated console? Where's the next-gen stuff? I realize the graphics aren't done yet, and there may be some new features added in the final game, but really what else can they do in 4 months? I could be wrong though, they could do some really amazing stuff that'll make me look like an idiot.

I'm not even saying it's a bad game, I'm just saying I don't think it's as great as people make it out to be.

Stinkyf1re
06-25-2007, 03:25 AM
But not only did Epic come up with some really cool new ideas like the Hammer of Dawn and the Torque Bow, they took the old guns and gave them a unique twist. The chainsaw on the assault rifle, active reloads, the ability to melee with whatever gun you're using...all these little details give the game a unique feel that makes the combat more fluid and flat out fun.
Are you completely retarded ? :(

Bluntman428
06-25-2007, 03:56 AM
I said all the details. Yeah, melee with guns has been done before, but the fact that it's in there on top of all the other features just adds to the depth.

And yes I'm completely aware that Halo has the same feature. But the fact you can instantly kill someone by whacking them in the back of the head makes it just stupid. Tell me how someone wearing thick futuristic armor can get killed just by getting pistol whipped makes sense, and I'll give you a cookie.

I don't know why I'm bothering responding to you because you're clearly a fanboy, as made evident by the fact that your gamerpic and gamercard both have Halo references, and you have a link to your beta stats in your sig.

Here's a novel idea. How about instead of calling me a retard because I don't like your silly little videogame, you tell me why I'm wrong. Or you can keep calling me a retard like you never graduated from elementary school.

R Rated Love
06-25-2007, 04:28 AM
I guess we're all entitled to an opinion.

I personally don't understand why threads like this are created in the first place, though. People can make the same argument for every game there is. Not to mention that all it leads to is arguing.

ArchersInbound
06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm usually not the type to go off on a rant, but with all the hype surrounding Halo 3, I think now's the time.

Halo is not original. Halo is a crappy knockoff of some of the better FPS's on the PC. Why's it so popular? Because the console gamers that weren't familiar with PC shooters had never seen a game with the concepts Halo stole from far superior games. It was really the first console FPS to incorporate the elements of PC shooters that made them so great. That deserves some credit, but it certainly doesn't make Halo the best FPS game of all time like some Xbox gamers like to claim.

Before you go off on a rant about how I'm a moron who just sucks at Halo, hear me out. Halo had nothing original in it. The guns are stale, they've been done before many times on the PC. An assault rifle, a pistol, grenades, a sniper rifle, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, a plasma pistol, and the needler. The original guns from Halo. None of them are new, and frankly, they've been done far better in other games. The whole anti-gravity thing? Yeah, done many times before, most noticeably in Tribes.

I played the Halo 3 beta, hoping it would be better than it's predeccesors, but unfortunately it was identical to Halo 2, with a couple new weapons. The spartan laser was cool, but the spikers which were the only new addition were just straight up lame. Nothing about Halo 3 struck me as cool or original, it just hit me as the same shite I've been playing for years. Nothing new or cool, just watered down dribble I've seen done a dozen times before on the PC.

What makes it worse, Bungie doesn't even add anything new to make you really anticipate the game. There's no new skins for the models, it's the same stupid Spartan design, with no twists other than you can add a decal to your armor that no one will notice or care about. They'll probably add the Covenant model in the final version, but the fact that they NEVER balanced it in Halo 2 to remove the hit detection issues doesn't give me much faith in that prospect.

The guns are really not original at all. There's not many of them, and frankly, they aren't fun to shoot. The biggest draw to shooters for me are how fun and unique the guns are. And Halo's guns all shoot the same to me. It's not really satisfying at all to get a kill with most guns in Halo. It just feels like another frag. Games like Shadowrun and Gears of War have unique guns that each have their own feel and tactics, but Halo seems to be the average weaponry in every sense.

I love the 360, and I wish Halo was better than it was, but frankly I think it's one of the worst shooters on the 360. Shadowrun, Call of Duty, Prey, The Darkness, Call of Juarez, Bioshock...they all have gameplay that breaks the mold. All Halo offers is a watered down version of PC shooters, and the combat hasn't evolved at all over two sequels.

I don't disagree with your post, it's poorly cited. I'll admit I'm somewhat of a Halo fanboy, but to be quite frank your information is incorrect in so MANY areas. Let's focus mainly from your info on Halo 3. There are new skins for your spartan model, tons, the spartan is basically yours to fully customize. One thing they said they would focus on in MP was the Elite models hit detection issues and those supposedly have been resolved. Not ALL the weapons were unvieled in the Halo 3 BETA, there are 3 to 4 new ones yet to be seen by the public. So there is your faith restored.

Maybe the weapons in Halo aren't all so original, but maybe that's why it's so popular, is that it is so easily digestable. To me the weapons being so simple is why I started playing it. The only real part of whole entire post that I disagree with is when you said Gears of War had original weapons. Give me a freakin' break here! Gears of War weapons are less original than even Halo's and that's partly because it's a third person shooter, but I mean that's an ignorant statement.

I enjoyed your post but your information was wrong and biased in some parts. I agree with you several spots however, one thing that pisses me off everyday is that Bungie doesn't listen to the community as much as they use to in the past, and one reason why I believe Halo 3 will not meet the hype for many people.

Bluntman428
06-25-2007, 05:49 AM
I don't disagree with your post, it's poorly cited. I'll admit I'm somewhat of a Halo fanboy, but to be quite frank your information is incorrect in so MANY areas. Let's focus mainly from your info on Halo 3. There are new skins for your spartan model, tons, the spartan is basically yours to fully customize. One thing they said they would focus on in MP was the Elite models hit detection issues and those supposedly have been resolved. Not ALL the weapons were unvieled in the Halo 3 BETA, there are 3 to 4 new ones yet to be seen by the public. So there is your faith restored.

Maybe the weapons in Halo aren't all so original, but maybe that's why it's so popular, is that it is so easily digestable. To me the weapons being so simple is why I started playing it. The only real part of whole entire post that I disagree with is when you said Gears of War had original weapons. Give me a freakin' break here! Gears of War weapons are less original than even Halo's and that's partly because it's a third person shooter, but I mean that's an ignorant statement.

I enjoyed your post but your information was wrong and biased in some parts. I agree with you several spots however, one thing that pisses me off everyday is that Bungie doesn't listen to the community as much as they use to in the past, and one reason why I believe Halo 3 will not meet the hype for many people.

Ah, you're completely right about the Covenant thing, I remember hearing about that now. I was unaware there's still some weapons that weren't in the beta too, aside from the obvious exclusion of the Sword. I didn't know about the customization with the skins, so I'll admit I was wrong on that one until I see what it's really like.

I gotta disagree about Gears' weapons being unoriginal though. The torque bow and hammer of dawn aren't new? Yeah, other games have had a bow but the Torque Bow has a style that just reeks of cool. It's just plain fun to use. You know every time you hit someone with it they're just like "Ah shit.". And what other game has a fricking satellite gun? None. You show me another shooter with a satellite gun and I'll eat my shorts right now. :p

MadDog2010
06-25-2007, 06:56 AM
I said all the details. Yeah, melee with guns has been done before, but the fact that it's in there on top of all the other features just adds to the depth.

And yes I'm completely aware that Halo has the same feature. But the fact you can instantly kill someone by whacking them in the back of the head makes it just stupid. Tell me how someone wearing thick futuristic armor can get killed just by getting pistol whipped makes sense, and I'll give you a cookie.

I don't know why I'm bothering responding to you because you're clearly a fanboy, as made evident by the fact that your gamerpic and gamercard both have Halo references, and you have a link to your beta stats in your sig.

Here's a novel idea. How about instead of calling me a retard because I don't like your silly little videogame, you tell me why I'm wrong. Or you can keep calling me a retard like you never graduated from elementary school.

First, in the red, if Halo has the same feature, then don't come down on it acting like it's this new thing.

Second, in the blue, Gears of War, which is the game you were comparing this too, takes only one hit to knock the person down, then they are helpless from there. So play the game before you do the comparing. Now, I want my cookie.

Third, in the green, you started this thread making it your opinion that Halo is overated, but the guy you are talking to has his own opinion also.

And fourth, in the yellow, I won't call you a retard because I think you are like 12, but Halo is the best selling videogame series, Halo 3 has sold over 4.5 million copies (and it isn't even out yet), Halo (although the Xbox 360 is out with plenty of games) still logs the most matches on Xbox Live, and Halo is more players around the world, then any other videogame.

I don't agree with you at all. Halo is not overated. How can a game, which has accomplished so much be overated? It is exactly where it stands and it will stand on top for a while to come. Also, I don't agree with you trying to post these stupid "against Halo threads," especially when you don't even know what you are talking about.

Rand al Thor 19
06-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Okay, no, I'm no troll amigo. The point of this thread was to debate Halo and it's popularity. Trolls post unintelligible dribble with the sole purpose of angering others and baiting them into silly arguments. Yeah, you might not agree with me, but at least I took the time to explain why I dislike the game. I also never put down Halo fans. Just because I don't like a game, I'm not going to bash people who do. Launching personal attacks against someone for their preference in gaming is just petty and worthless.

You can't debate Halo's popularity. 15 million copies sold between Halo and Halo 2 puts the game into the upper tier of video game popularity. You can't debate that. So you don't like the Halo series??? Big Deal, so do thousands of other people. You didn't have to make a thread about it.

Yoshi6107
06-25-2007, 01:35 PM
None. You show me another shooter with a satellite gun and I'll eat my shorts right now. :p

I'm not really interested in seeing you eat your shorts, but wasn't there a gun very similar to the Hammer of Dawn in Unreal Championship? I'm pretty sure it was called the TAG Rifle or something similar. I could be wrong too, so don't eat your shorts just yet.

Spartan
06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
By making a thread like this you know exactly what's going to happen, and it's just a pay attention to me type of thing. These are the simple facts of Halo 3 and any other game:

1. If you don't like the hype, don't get caught up in it, and don't make a thread complaining about it.

2. If you don't like the game, don't buy it or play it.

3. If you're a fan of the series and like the game, buy it, play it, and enjoy it.

Maka
06-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Tell me how someone can bend over and revive their teammate in Gears, with nothing in their hand, and I'll give you two. Halo was not meant to be realistic. Its far from. Its rewarding you getting behind a player though, which it should.
The melee in Gears was just about the worst part, as many weapons had such fast "delay" time in between melee that the person had no time to move, and Tapping B would let you win the game.

highpass
06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Enough of the "you're a Halo noob" crap; no need for it even purely out of spite. The guy's offering a debate, not a flame, you're all intelligent enough to respond accordingly.

Halo isn't the most amazing game ever created, but it excels in delivering a seamless, fun experience that anyone can pick up and have a laugh with. That is why it's so popular, not because it has revolutionised anything (bar matchmaking)... and whilst on that subject, there's only so far you can go with this genre. At the end of the day, you're still pressing the trigger until your foe's pixels turn red and drop to the floor. It's simply how fun the developers make the said turning of pixels that award merit and praise, and as already stated, in this field a winnar is Halo.

...in my opinion :p.

Lokstir
06-25-2007, 02:08 PM

umm masterchief is a cyborg. that means hes like half a robot. if a robot hits you in the back of the head you better believe hes gunna kill you. also masterchief can lift tanks. i think someone who can lift tanks can also do kill you with a melee to the dome. also i tihnk master chiefs suit of armor has something to do with this. now i want my cookie.

also i must disagree with everything you said. halo is a great series. and it has offered lots to the gaming world. matchmaking was an innovation. this new theatre feature is an innovation. the needler is an innovation.

Lokstir
06-25-2007, 03:44 PM
umm no thanx i'd rather not read a book written by some guy to make a quick buck off of a video game franchise and i'd really rather not assume that whatever he makes up is the truth

highpass
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
umm no thanx i'd rather not read a book written by some guy to make a quick buck off of a video game franchise and i'd really rather not assume that whatever he makes up is the truth

Um, it's the official prequel to the game.

Woops, where's strikethrough when you need it. The game did come before the book, but it's "officially" sanctioned and based on whatever Bungie came up with.

(pre-edit quote: Ever wondered where the cool storyline in Halo comes from? Did you really think that the dudes at Bungie & Microsoft came up with the Covenent, MasterChief and the curvy Cortana? Think again. Halo, The Fall of Reach is the original book from Eric Nylund that introduces Halo, and it's amazing powers.)

Yoshi6107
06-25-2007, 04:12 PM
See now, the reason I love Halo (and the reason that most people love Halo) is because it's one of those games that's a lot like Super Smash Brothers. Just about anyone can pick it up and play it, so it's a great game to play with friends, even those who aren't much of gamers like to play games such as Super Smash and Halo. Of course I don't speak for EVERYONE, since not everyone likes these games, but it should nonetheless be easy to see what I'm talking about.

deathbypig37x
06-25-2007, 05:19 PM
As I have stated before on many music forums, JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS POPULAR DOESN"T MEAN ITS OVERRATED.

Could not have said it better.
Ok, before someone goes on a rant like this, PLEASE do your research. Honestly, can no one see ANYTHING original in the game? If you can't, I'm sorry, but you may be either blind, or mildly retarded. Can you NOT notice that the story is original? I don't care what you guys say, the story is in NO way cliche, and the fact that so many people doubt the end of the game disappoints me...what could possibly make you think the ending will be predictable. Yeah most likely, the Earth is saved. That's not because the story is lame, it's becuaseYOU ARE PLAYINIG THE PERSON THAT IS SUPPOSED TO SAVE THE EARTH!!!God, if the Earth was NOT saved, then why did we spend 3 games trying to F*CKING DEFEND IT!?!?!? People die in Halo as well, so don't tell me that it's all rainbows and butterflies. You remember Halo 1? Yeah, Keyes died, and it was a very moving moment in the story the story. And guess what, Sergent Jhonson lived. Not because the game takes place in Fairyland, but because the plasma exposure he recieved throughout the war against the Coveneant built him an immunity to the flood.
HOw about the characters themselves, huh? Are they not unique? How about the enemies? The grunts, jackals, elites, brutes, buggers, prophets, engineers, hunters, and flood spores all make up for a unique experince in fighting.
Also, what about the MOST overlooked uniqueness the game has? An original soundtrack? If you think what Marty O'Donnel composes is not original then you need to open your ears my friend. The music is not on par with what Nobuo Uematsu and his genius work, but it still puts him above the rest of the crowd.
Weapons and Guns not good enough for you? How can you say Halo 3 is no different than its predecessors? What about the adittions of Spikers, Spike grenades, the Spartan Laser, the Trip Mine, the Missile Pod, the Power drainer, the bubble shield, detacthable turret, and Mongoose? Last time I checked, there have also been updates and improvements on old weapons/vehicles such as the Ar, the BR, SMGs, pistol, brute shot, sniper (alien and human), needler, frag and plasma grenades, covenant carbine, Warthog machine gun turret, Wraith, ghost, and Banshee?
I mean how can you think for one second that there's nothing special about it, yet the Halo franchise has achieved SOOO many awards and recognitions? How can you overlook the staggering sales numbers? Halo 2 grossed $125 Million on its FIRST day of release. Spiderman, one of the highest-grossing movies of all-time, didn't make that in its opening weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). If Halo 3 is so bland, and redundant, why does it already have over 4 MILLION pre-oreders? Even if all those poeple bought the REGULAR edition, they would make over 240 MILLION smackeroles. How can so many people be wrong?
I mean in 6 years, this game has already spurred 5 games (2 yet to be released) a novel series, a comic series, a toy line, a possible movie/untitled Halo project with Peter Jackson, several related TV pilots, a large branch of machinima, soundtracks, and a large,undying, and loyal fanbase.

If you like to use opinionated words like "cool" and "fun", go ahead. That just makes your argument a worhtless one.

^Here's fact buddy.

Bluntman428
06-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Okay, wow, I can't even believe the negative reaction this thread's brought on. I expected some people to disagree with me, but the personal attacks are really just astounding. I've been called a noob, an idiot, a troll, a moron, and told my opinion's completely worthless. What's worse, half of it was from members I previously respected.

I posted this thread to spark a debate on Halo's popularity, not to bash the game. Certainly not to garner attention as two moderators have implied. That really pissed me off more than anything, cause it's complete bullshit. When I wanted attention, I got a job at IGN. When I wanted attention, I hit number one in the leaderboards in Gears of War. Twice. When people post absolutely retarded threads about completely useless shit that bares no revelance to anything people on this forum care about, do they get accused of attention whoring?

I never once even said Halo's a bad game. As a matter of fact, I think it's pretty damn good, I just don't think it's the greatest game ever made as some people do. I just said it's not as good as people make it out to be, and the game mechanics are stale. That doesn't mean they're not fun, it just means they're not new or innovative. I think Halo's awesome in certain situations. When you're getting drunk with some buddies, no game's better than Halo splitscreen, period. Like someone else said earlier in this thread, it's easy for anyone to pick up and play and have fun with, which can't be said about some games like Gears of War.

If you don't agree with my opinion, hey, more power to you. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But don't call me an idiot because mine differs from yours. If you wanna show me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong in a constructive manner, like several people have done in well thought out posts. But seriously, show a little respect. Calling someone a moron because they don't like the same things you do just shows a total lack of maturity.

Tyger7
06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I haven't beaten either halo :eek: I didn't get swept off my feet with the storyline. But i will tell you this, the multiplayer experience is the best i have ever had in any game (with the exception of shadowbane which is pretty much a tie). I have spent more hours playing multiplayer halo, than every single player game i have on the 360. I have around 50. It's the feeling halo gives you when you no scope. the feeling you get when you somehow manage to survive when you shouldnt have. The feeling of getting triple the amount of kills than deaths. Halo in multiplay makes you feel godly at times. i have played so many games in multiplayer. i like shadowrun A LOT. I like halo multiplayer better though. Sometimes i have gotten like 23 kills in shadowrun, and 5 deaths. There;s just something more special when you do it in halo. Maybe it's the shields? The mere fact you can barely escape only to recover. Sniping is unmatchable. Shadowrun for example is gratifying, but you cannot no scope and it tends to be awkard shooting. Prey was too glitchy in the first place, yet had awesome elements. Quake 4 was...well, it was a good start. Call of Duty is boring and i have both btw. farcry was the worst first person shooter i have seen in a long time. anyways, halo isnt perfect. They didnt change a whole lot from halo 2, because frankly they didnt need to. Sure tribes was cool, but did it get 2 year in advanced pre-orders? did it have a legendary edition costing 130 dollars that will probably sell out in a lot of places? Halo is addictive. talking smack and owning people has never been better. Spawning sucks, lag sucks, host over-powered sucks, even the two new levels were a horrible additon and i quit EVERY time i get them. but i love the multiplayer. i love the newb combo. i love newbs <3. i laugh so much in halo, when i see the newbs looking around them for the first time. taking extra long to pick up weapons. picking up needlers, yet passing a sword or rockets. halo gives a better experience. cool things have happened in the 40 hours ive played shadowrun, but i can hardly remember any. Anyways apologize for the long post. halo is not for everyone, if it was then there would be no ps3 fangirls :) (that last comment was not directed towards anyone on this site)

JJ UK
06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
im not going to agree or disagree but I think Halo has alot of hype around it and I just dont see why - sure some people think its the best thing since sliced bread but to me its just another shooter - the beta was kinda cool but I only played it 3 or 4 times, to be honest im more interessted in titles such as assassins creed and fable 2 - this is just my opinion, dont bash me for it

also *you suck at halo 2* lol only jking

djphatic
06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I have to agree, I dont see why the Halo series has so much hype and a big fuss is made out of it. When Halo 1 came out on the Xbox and people were amazed by it and constantly ranting on about it like it was the best game ever made and made it out to be the best FPS of its time. I decided to give it ago and to be honest I was disappointed, I never finished the game as I found it extremely boring and didn't find it anywhere as good as Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal or the Quake series.

I think that halo has so much hype around it because of its success on Xbox 1 as it was one of the first FPS games on a console and those not into PC gaming had never experienced an FPS game. I have never played any of the Halos online and cant imagine it being that much different from what ive experienced with Unreal Tournament, Quake and Battlefield...though from what ive read about the Halo series its the multiplayer side which really sells the game rather than the single player.

codedigital
06-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I suppose it's all just a matter of opinion. But as I've stated before, I'm not a fan either. It all felt so loose and sloppy and it blows my mind that someone lives for this game. However, it's all about perspective.

Weapon 117
06-26-2007, 02:35 PM
I do agree with you that Halo does need more new weapons and other new gameplay aspects to make it better. I think why Halo is so successful and every one likes it is because it is simple, cheap, and effective. It's easy to undertsand how to play and all you do in every gametype is point, shoot and repeat.

Danny Dibo
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I think what bluntman was trying to express, (besides a simple opinion) was that halo3 is running a hype machine. People who loved the other ones are just clamoring for the new one, despite the fact the game doesn't really offer any thing new in the innovations department.
I am not a big fan of halo myself, but I do think its much more fun in multiplayer (Provided your playing with friends.) Then in single player.
Its a solid shooter, but its basically running on the success of halo2 and they overwhelming hype of a new game.
Seriously, every year madden comes out with a new game that offers nothing but some cosmetic upgrades, and people bash it for offering seemingly nothing but updated rosters, so I agree halo3 should face the same scrutiny. Its unfair to say well, halo is such a huge series it can make whatever mess it wants and call it a sequel.
Besides that someone touched on the books, collectors sets, toys, etc. Made for halo. NONE of that has anything to do with the quality of the game, that's just good marketing. Companies see the success $$ wise in halo and everyone is jumoing to get there piece of the pie. Remember as close as 5 years ago, where EVERYTHING was endorsed by Pokemon?
You couldn't buy fruitsnakes without pikachu being on the box, did that mean pokemon was the greatest game of all time?

TheSmokingManX
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM

The original Halo was most certainly an important game. This isn't coming from a ravid fanboy, but rather from my position as a journalist.

Halo's control scheme has become the standard for FPSs on consoles. Ever since Halo 2 implemented the recharging shield (which in and of itself was not a new idea), FPSs on consoles left and right have followed suit. And Halo 3's weapon balance is some of the best I've ever seen. There's simply a myriad of things that make it one of the best FPSs ever.

All of the fanboys that say Halo is the greatest FPS ever might be right, as far as console FPSs go, but for the wrong reasons.

Spartan EXR
06-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, I love Halo, and I also were in the H3 Beta. just look at my gamertag.

x6xDamonx6x
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Halo is brutal, its just another FPS out there. Only this I liked to do in that game was fly around in Banshees, or use some other vehicle. I prefer Lost Planet to this by far.

PHIL 421
04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
It is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong it's a good series but the way it's advertised and the way microsoft lifts it up makes it overrated. Some of the best games I've ever played I never saw a single commercial for, but with halo you can see up to a hundred commercials in a day. People feel they have to defend it because they got sucked into the hype. They have to defend buying 2 C.E. discs because they want to keep one in it's case, they defend spending hundreds even thousands on halo related crap because they actually believe it's the greatest thing since thong bikinis. But if it makes you happy who cares:)...

Tsaako
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Why everyone hates halo on these furoms i dont know.

If it "sucks" so much then why do thousands of people still play it all the time and why does it sell millions of copies everytime a new version is released.

Sure there was some epic PC shooters, but look at how xbox v pc versions of multiplayer...

Not everyone has a good pc for it to run perfectly fine nor connection. With it being on the xbox it will run slick and only problem would be connection.

I like halo, i dont compare it to games. Theres nothing to prove..the game is fun. Great when playing with friends. I've never been a fan of the campaign of halo though.

Halo 2 was the best halo for me. Some of the new maps introduced to halo 3 didnt do it for me, 2 of my favourite maps were left out. Sure you'l get the asshole on the mic being cocky, but thats were a mute button is and avoid player option is there. As for the infamous teabaggin..that happens on every game.

Halo 3 has its up and down but if its that "crap" then why does it surpass milestones and sells millions of copies.

It's not overrated, its just hyped too much with "omg best game ever" or "I PWNZ U AT HAL0 N3RD".

I bought fallout 3 after hearing so much about it, found it quite dissapointing, mainly because i didnt find it as fun as everyone said it was. It just goes to show dont listen to everything you hear about a game.

As for it being overrated, every company will want their game to sell good, with it being hyped more people would get pumped for its release date. It's called marketing and making money.

This is my opinion..all you guys have yours too. But for those people that knock halo and play the game is either trying to make themselves fit in with everyone else or just wasting time over stupidness. Seen so many merks around these days. :p

What i would like to see is an extra 1 or 2 weapons for halo. maybe an update every few months or something. Just think to yourself, if you could create a weapon on halo, what would it be. Be realistic and think of the advantages and disadvantages. If your were to think of a weapon it cant be too overpowered or it would make online multiplay unfair due to the fact that first person who gets the weapon is going to get easy kills. Just think about it..

And on a side note, you cant compare halo to prey...think before you speak, prey's multiplayer is awful. Nuff said.

arbiter4566
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Whats up with reviving old threads? The time this was written was near halo 3's release date when the game had an incredible amount of hype, simply because it was halo.

Tenacious
04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
old thread is oooooold.

but yeah, halo. shit's overrated.

Bluntman428
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Halo is brutal, its just another FPS out there. Only this I liked to do in that game was fly around in Banshees, or use some other vehicle. I prefer Lost Planet to this by far.

Thank you for your opinion on my 2 year old topic. :rolleyes:

Would you kindly stop resurrecting old threads from the grave? You do it a lot, and it's really annoying.

Anyway, this thread was written before Halo 3 even came out. I played Halo 3 and enjoyed it. I still think it's overrated, but it's a good game nonetheless.

KFZ Scrubs
04-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Okay, no offense dude but this is the third thread that you revived.
I know your new to the site and all but for the love of god....
STOP REVIVING 2 YEAR OLD THREADS!!!

Invader2010
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds about right..pisses me off that Halo 3 is all the Rage..