PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed ?

IVIR BLOBBY
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
anyone else who has finished the game feel quite underwhelmed with the game ?

when i finished Origins i was overwhelmed & loved it i immidietly wanted to play it again. Now i can barely be bothered to do another playthrough so much so that i simply just did all the soryline quests in Act III which is nothing like me & Dragon Age.

No conversations with party members, romance is much harder, i cant kit out my party & in general i feel like they skipped out on the writing. in origins every decision you take affects what the outsome of specific quests are, nothing like that on DA2.

i love the combat dont get me wrong but after playing DA2 for about 18 hours & doing alot of the quests i just dont feel like it matches DAO, the first ha;f of the playthough was brilliant the new combat just becomes combat though after a while & you seek that rpg element, now its gone so the developers had more time to develop combat :(

i know the majority prefers the combat but why skip out on all the coversations & options, i know this time round theres a story being told but i feel like thatreally let it down

Excuse spelling mistakes wrote alot in quite a haste

Jumnious
03-10-2011, 05:44 PM
In Origins I did plenty of talking and learning to know my buddy's favorite shoe style then actually partaking in the main story line. Then to find out that their loyalty doesn't really impact the story at all except give them a damage bonus. In DA2, their loyalty plays out a lot more; whether by a talent bonus or whether they will stick with me in the end.

I'm sorry, but when I see my Mage use Rock Armor I forget about Origins entirely.

bawrash
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
totally agree with orignal post other than i dont like the combat system at all. After playin the demo i was still sure i'd enjoy the game once I gave it a chance but played for an hour further than the demo and found myself skipping conversations and selecting any option then eventually I just turned it off. I cant believe the rating this game got in the review.

artphobia
03-10-2011, 07:45 PM
anyone else who has finished the game feel quite underwhelmed with the game ?

This game's conclusion was quite the pivot of interesting. Not to mention the whole ride there was flavored with nice variations in storyline based off play. Personally I also found the relationship building with companions way easier.The combat is finally entertaining as well, where as in the first game I found myself gettign frustrated with the attack swarming the characters did that or I simply started falling asleep.

By "attack swarming" I mean: you click a enemy, hit attack, and then watch as your characters just run up to the enemy bumping into each other, terrain, whatever till they found a spot around the ground circle. It was so Baldur's Gate. Which was a great game of it's time... but that's just it if they were trying to make DA:O feel completely old school then they nailed it. Even more so with having the mute hero syndrome.

So in short... no.

Gackt
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
The combat is alot better then it was in DA:Origins in my opinion, but I still can't seem to like/care about any of these damn characters. The story isn't keeping my attention much, and the reuse of the same maps over and over for areas is getting old quick. I like it more then DA:O but still overall pretty disappointed

InfiniteRefrain
03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
The map reuse is the my main issue with it. It seems like they rushed it, to get it out

Yaymez
03-11-2011, 03:33 AM
It is a more refined experience with mechanics and a style similar to Mass Effect 2 (figures, considering some of the ME2 guys worked on DA2).

I think it is a fantastic game. Granted, you don't make massive choices which change the face of the society and landscape in the game. But then in DA2 you aren't meant to. It is a more localised story by comparison.

You can't really compare the two games as far as story goes. DA2 is in no way a sequel to DA where the plot is concerned.

artphobia
03-11-2011, 07:08 AM
The map reuse is the my main issue with it. It seems like they rushed it, to get it out

This I do agree with. I mean would have been as bad had they got some real geometry to block the doors ... not just cement walled in, but like a massive rock changing which also the area visually a bit. And set unused areas of the map to not show. bah ..shrug.

Tsukasa117
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
I was very underwhelmed by the lack of scope, it didn't feel like your choices made the impact you kinda come to expect in DA. Bugs and freezing abound alot more then i would like but as i recall DAO was worse by far. The end was somewhat anticlimactic but thats just my opinion it didn't really answer all the big questions like 'WTF was the artifact and why did it drive people batshit crazy'. Finally lets talk about 'optional characters' if your gonna make a character optional like I dunno Isabella its probably best but to hemorrhage important details of the story off if you somehow missed the window to get her. And weres my mage spell to summon Exodia arms and rip ogres in half hmmmm:p.

VladimirK
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Disappointed is not the bloody word.

I just can't comprehend how they managed to fuck up Dragon Age in such a big way.
They had a winning thing, why did they mess with it?

Still I've learned a good thing, don't trust Bioware sequels.

Mass Effect 1 - Awesome RPG
Mass Effect 2 - Great Third Person Shooter with RPG elements. (I'll give them the great on this one but it's nothing compared to the first.)

Dragon Age 1 - Awesome RPG
Dragon Age 2 - Shitty Hack-and-Slash.

So much for being able to revert to the Origins combat style in the options, though. All that does is add rings around enemies feet and still leaves you with the tedious, button-mashing bullshit.

Ugghhh, there's just so many things about it that have been made worse.

There was one thing that I noticed so far that they managed to not "fix", the chests. Out of all the things to mess about with they couldn't set it so that non-rogues can open locked chests?

Doggy444
03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't see how you'd want to play the game again, since you spent almost 30 hours in the same area.

rrushn
03-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I was very underwhelmed with DAO and didn't really fancy playing it two more times, but I did it anyway, for the sake of achievements.

DA2, however, completely blew me away, and quite frankly, took me by surprise, as I expected yet another 'SAVE THE WORLD' cliché plot as we have seen in DAO and just about any other RPG out there.

The story was engaging, felt quite a bit more real than 'lvl 1 -> warden -> save world plx' and although the choices I made did not affect a whole nation, it did affect people close to me, you know... people I care about, not a bunch of villagers I've barely seen before.

The combat has been improved in every single way, tactics are as absent as they ever were in DAO, which is still a bummer, but hey... I can't press A now to see my character cross the whole map automatically and start pounding said enemy... also automatically, not to mention the huge pain in the ass to position yourself properly, or time spent knocked down.
The little interaction we received, is a very welcome one.

I spent a fair amount of my first playthrough interacting with characters, people saying this is a hack'n'slash are downright delusional.

I guess those people favor clunky combat to make it more 'RPG', because as I see it, any RPG (ME2, DA2) that improves combat gets stamped with the 'shitty different genre' demerit, regardless of the core that remains EXACTLY the same.
Protip: RPG does not equal shitty combat.
And yes, I grew up with NES, I'm not a next-gen casual.

It's not all lollipops and rainbows though, the reuse of the exact same maps is downright LAME.

Aidonia
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Can't believe you all beat the game already LoL.
I'm still running around doing side quest and such, but my opinion just about half way in (I think?) is I am definitely bored with the lack of travel. I do enjoy the difference in the environment of day and night. But I really would rather have traveled out of the city, I thought after the year of my servitude was complete, I would be traveling to another city.

I also hate that I don't have the same deep conversations with my party members like in DAO, I remember being overly excited to tell my friends how I finally broke down Stein in DAO, now, I really don't care for my party members and just see them as characters to solely help me in combat and not strong elements to the story....this may change, but so far this is how I feel.

The combat is a little bit too easy for me and find the complexity of it to be a downgrade from DAO.
But I'll finish the game and then have a more solid opinion.

martdude16
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Still I've learned a good thing, don't trust Bioware sequels.

Mass Effect 1 - Awesome RPG
Mass Effect 2 - Great Third Person Shooter with RPG elements. (I'll give them the great on this one but it's nothing compared to the first.)

Dragon Age 1 - Awesome RPG
Dragon Age 2 - Shitty Hack-and-Slash.

Even though I love both Mass Effect and Dragon Age games I do agree to an extent.

Simple things, like taking away the option to customise your party's armour, make me miss the originals, as I prefer RPGs.

I hope they get a good mix of action/shooter and RPG in the 3rd games. As you said ME2 seemed more of a Third Person Shooter!

QuasidodoJr
03-11-2011, 06:59 PM
The ending was very anti-climactic. I enjoyed the end of the first game a lot more, where it gave us an idea what all of the characters were up to after the game's story was finished. This one just glosses it over with a few generic explanations about Kirkwall and the Champion and leaves it at that. Does this mean we're not going to get any real sort of resolution until DA3 or some kind of expansion for DA2?

Other than that, the combat was only fun for the first few hours. The story was too weak and confined. And the simplification of the inventory and stat systems was a big letdown.

Why did they feel they needed to dumb this game down for console gamers? :confused:

Kinky Buns
03-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I put 40 hours into this game in 3 days, did every single quest I could possibly find without guides, it gets boring fast due to them using the same buildings and crap over and over. Some of the dialogue is quite humorous though. Ending sucked, though it was nice to see a familiar face and it also hints at an obvious sequel or huge DLC like Awakening because of what they say. Definitely could have used some NEW npcs, they pretty much just recycled DA:O's monsters and threw them in. And wtf@lack of darkspawn, It seems like I was getting horde after horde of Abominations and other crap tossed at me, where are the damn darkspawn; this is DRAGON AGE :V