PDA

View Full Version : What are Darkspawn?

Darth Cuda
03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Seriously its been bugging me since part 1. To them (characters) darkspawn are darkspawn. But my question is are they assumed to be akin to zombies or just a barbaric race like orcs? I'm wagering Zombie like hence the infections/plagues. Are they creatures that were once human they never say but hint at it. As I recall but my memory is bad.

jasonjuk
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
u need to play origins lol

BuzzerBeater911
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
If I remember correctly I believe the darkspawn used to be human and they moved underground into the deep roads (basically the HUGE chain of caverns that the dwarves used to live in). And now every 300 years or so they rise up again to try to take over.

They have a leader called the Archdemon who is a huge dragon. He has to be killed by a Grey Warden to stop the "blight". This was what happened in the last game.

A Grey Warden is someone who drinks darkspawn blood. Half of them die from it and the others become super prestigious and cool.

Hope this helps.

D.A.N.
03-10-2011, 11:02 PM
"The Darkspawn are a race of mostly-humanoid tainted creatures that dwell in the Deep Roads. According to the Chantry, they were created when the magisters of the Tevinter Imperium opened a portal into the Golden City, tainting the realm of the Maker with their corruption and returning as the darkspawn, their evil transfiguring them into the monsters they became. When they uncover one of the Old Gods, they expose it to the taint, changing it into an archdemon, which then leads them in an attack against the surface world called a Blight. According to the dwarves, Darkspawn simply appeared."

Basically every Darkspawn used to be some other humanoid race. Humans become Hurlocks, Dwarves become Genlocks, Elves become Shrieks, and Qunari become Ogres. Female humanoids become Broodmothers, which can birth Darkspawn of their corresponding race.

tkhbecker
03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
If you read the novel Dragon Age The Calling the former Commander of the Grey actually becomes thoroughly corrupted by the taint and turns into a Hurlok type creature...

HostilePlatypus
03-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I think they used to be Humans but they were corrupted somehow. Somewhere along the lines.

JDMBO1
03-11-2011, 01:10 AM
I think D.A.N hit the nail on the head

Darth Cuda
03-11-2011, 02:09 AM
"The Darkspawn are a race of mostly-humanoid tainted creatures that dwell in the Deep Roads. According to the Chantry, they were created when the magisters of the Tevinter Imperium opened a portal into the Golden City, tainting the realm of the Maker with their corruption and returning as the darkspawn, their evil transfiguring them into the monsters they became. When they uncover one of the Old Gods, they expose it to the taint, changing it into an archdemon, which then leads them in an attack against the surface world called a Blight. According to the dwarves, Darkspawn simply appeared."

Basically every Darkspawn used to be some other humanoid race. Humans become Hurlocks, Dwarves become Genlocks, Elves become Shrieks, and Qunari become Ogres. Female humanoids become Broodmothers, which can birth Darkspawn of their corresponding race.

What I was looking for, like I said I forgot , the later part I never knew. Thank you to all who responded with good info.

I X I Shock I
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
One point missed is the fact that the Archdemon's are the 'Old Gods', but I can't remember if that is only the belief, or if there is any confirmation to it.

mksystem74
03-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Well in Dragon Age 2 they look like the offspring of Reptile from Mortal Kombat. But in Origins they just remind me of orcs from Lord of the Rings.

Tsukasa117
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
All the races got a HUGE appearance overhaul in this one just look at the Qunari, I like how the darkspawn look in this one. But back to the main topic there essentially what has been discussed already but thats all with knowledge that we have as far as I know there's no media that tells the verbatim Origins of them. We do know how they reproduce and as far as the Archdemons, for now we go on the assumption that they were the sleeping Old Gods of Tevintar who were supposedly dragons and they become Archdemons when they are tainted by the Darkspawn corruption. i remember from the first game they went on to say that there should be 2 more dragons still asleep. This leaves possibilities for DLC and sequels but if you played Awakening and didn't kill the Architect he didn't seem all that interested in waking another one up but hey I wouldn't complain.:p

mad4ra
03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
The Architect is basically the first and only Darkspawn that is free of the call from the Old Gods and he wants to free his brothers and end the war between the Darkspawn and the surface people. Though its not like hes the good guy, he still wants to accoplish this in a bad way (in the book "The Calling" hes the main villain. And he still wants to find the Old Gods but to "kill" them if i remember correctly.

I didnt attack him in Awakening so i dont know - but do you really kill him? Or is it like Flemeth..?

Yaymez
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
The teachings of the Chantry are rooted in fact, but are dressed up and manipulated for the purpose of promoting a religious movement.

Much like the rumours about who or what Flemeth is, along with her backstory in the first one. Everyone has a different version.

tkhbecker
03-12-2011, 02:37 AM
The Architect is basically the first and only Darkspawn that is free of the call from the Old Gods and he wants to free his brothers and end the war between the Darkspawn and the surface people. Though its not like hes the good guy, he still wants to accoplish this in a bad way (in the book "The Calling" hes the main villain. And he still wants to find the Old Gods but to "kill" them if i remember correctly.

I didnt attack him in Awakening so i dont know - but do you really kill him? Or is it like Flemeth..?You are correct... He also wants to give all humans the "joining" so only the strong would survive for his vision of a bold new world

Magicman10893
03-12-2011, 05:14 AM
All the races got a HUGE appearance overhaul in this one just look at the Qunari, I like how the darkspawn look in this one. But back to the main topic there essentially what has been discussed already but thats all with knowledge that we have as far as I know there's no media that tells the verbatim Origins of them. We do know how they reproduce and as far as the Archdemons, for now we go on the assumption that they were the sleeping Old Gods of Tevintar who were supposedly dragons and they become Archdemons when they are tainted by the Darkspawn corruption. i remember from the first game they went on to say that there should be 2 more dragons still asleep. This leaves possibilities for DLC and sequels but if you played Awakening and didn't kill the Architect he didn't seem all that interested in waking another one up but hey I wouldn't complain.:p

I like that they gave all the humanoid races (Qunari, Elves, and Dwarves) a makeover, but the Darkspawn didn't need it. Since you rarely see them it's not that big of a deal to me, though.

Before the Qunari just looked like tall, muscular people with a dark complexion, Elves looked like shorter, skinnier humans (the pointed ears were easily hidden by long hair, so half the time I couldn't really tell if someone was an Elf or just short) and Dwarves were just midgets.

Now Qunari look like small Ogres, Elves look like Navi from Avatar and Dwarves are still midgets.

JDMBO1
03-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Dwarves are still midgets.
You forget they're tubby and have more facial hair then most dogs would