PDA

View Full Version : difficult to see text?

Darth Obnox
03-11-2011, 04:59 PM
This is possibly just an issue of having an older, non-hd TV, but does anyone else notice an issue where the on-screen text is so small and muddy that you have to lean in and squint to read it? It wouldn't be a problem so much but the amounts of money in your inventory, item descriptions and such are the same way. I had a headache after playing a few hours last night. Is there a way to make the text taller or more spaced out?

ll Mr Bubbles ll
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
lol how old/size of your tv?as i had no problems playing on mine, but like you said yours is an old tv which may have been the probelm

Lord Yamikage
03-11-2011, 05:13 PM
I read an article that the game subtitle are getting difficult to read in old television. The article used Mass Effect 2 for example. The words are small enough that it's not easy to read as if you had HD. I think many games are like that though, but I wouldn't know because I got myself big@$$ HD TV :p

iFrenck
03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
a friend of my has the same problem. He is using a old crappy tv and has issues reading the subtitles.

Nozza XBA
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I think its kind of at the stage now where games will only look good and be readable on some sort of HDTV. It uncommon not to have one nowadays even its its a simply 15' one!

You can get them cheap so its best to have one and you'll appreciate the games and their quality a lot more!

adz5000
03-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I have a fully HD 26" TV and I sometimes have to lean forward and squint to read the enemy titles and subtitles.

I wouls love an option to make the text even 20% bigger so as not to look out of place but be easily read-able.

TriRock
03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a fully HD 26" TV and I sometimes have to lean forward and squint to read the enemy titles and subtitles.

I wouls love an option to make the text even 20% bigger so as not to look out of place but be easily read-able.

That could also be due to poor eye-sight, you know.

I personally don't have a problem while playing on a 32'' HDTV.

Darth Obnox
03-12-2011, 06:17 AM
I had the same problem in Mass Effect 2, as well. Both of these games have great voice acting that I don't mind turning up to hear, but all those codex/planet scans in both that I've skipped over irks me, because I really enjoyed them in the first iteration of each series.

Actually, I think I remember setting my 360 to show "widescreen" dimension while playing ME2 for a while and this made the text taller. Of course, it takes a while to get used to everything being streched a bit. Maybe I'll try this in DA2.

Now that I think about it, I remember the Gothic 4 demo having this problem with the inventory screen. Inventory management is such a huge part of RPGs, too. Functionality and user-friendliness is preferable over cinematic-looking or overly-stylized interfaces, at least on the "character sheet" side of the game.

Perasnovitch
03-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I agree with OP, I'm having the same problem...Ditto for Bulletstorm.

text is way too small on a Non-HD TV.

I have a 32" inches Toshiba with the color stream cable plug in (green, blue and red) and the text is soooo fucking small.

SpinelesS
03-12-2011, 09:50 AM
For some reason Bioware seems to have a hatred for non HD TV. (does making a game playable in SD and HD take more work?)

Making their text really small, and often having a background that is hard to distinguish between the text for SD TV's. Like someone already said, it's the Codex that Im forced to pretty much ignore that upsets me the most.

I gotta wonder though...

I'm constantly hearing that text that seems too small in SD is fine in HD, but is the reverse true? Does text that seems perfectly normal in SD seem too large in HD?

Vanilla Coke Zero
03-12-2011, 10:46 AM
i had the same problem. i bought a 32" HDTV yesterday and trust me, there's a HUGE difference. i definitely recommend investing in a new TV.

Yaymez
03-12-2011, 11:00 AM
For some reason Bioware seems to have a hatred for non HD TV. (does making a game playable in SD and HD take more work?)

Making their text really small, and often having a background that is hard to distinguish between the text for SD TV's. Like someone already said, it's the Codex that Im forced to pretty much ignore that upsets me the most.

I gotta wonder though...

I'm constantly hearing that text that seems too small in SD is fine in HD, but is the reverse true? Does text that seems perfectly normal in SD seem too large in HD?

It isn't really a hatred for standard definition format. It is because standard definition is almost obselete in terms of technology. HD televisions are cheaper to produce, which means that they are far cheaper in the stores.

Why would you invest millions in making your game fit both SD and HD televisions when only a small percentage of people nowadays have SD TVs?

To your second comment about the reverse being true. I've only seen this happen on the Nintendo Wii. Games like Zelda and Monster Hunter Tri look -terrible- on an HD TV. You have to get a special cable which essentially 'devolves' your HD TV in order to play the games without them having a migraine inducing blur.

In terms of missing out on the codex, the Dragon Age Wikia has everything in some form or another on there to refer to :)

Vanilla Coke Zero
03-12-2011, 11:03 AM
It isn't really a hatred for standard definition format. It is because standard definition is almost obselete in terms of technology. HD televisions are cheaper to produce, which means that they are far cheaper in the stores.

Why would you invest millions in making your game fit both SD and HD televisions when only a small percentage of people nowadays have SD TVs?

To your second comment about the reverse being true. I've only seen this happen on the Nintendo Wii. Games like Zelda and Monster Hunter Tri look -terrible- on an HD TV. You have to get a special cable which essentially 'devolves' your HD TV in order to play the games without them having a migraine inducing blur.

In terms of missing out on the codex, the Dragon Age Wikia has everything in some form or another on there to refer to :)

i wouldn't call HDTVs cheap. a good HDTV will set you back anywhere from $400-700, and that's only a 32". you're looking at more than a $1,000 for bigger screens. even more if you want a 1080p TV. are they cheap? no. are they worth it? yes.