PDA

View Full Version : this is bioware's lowest rated console game.

Vanilla Coke Zero
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
with an average of 80%, while bioware's second lowest rated console game, jade empire, had an average score of 89%. their lowest rated game over all was that terrible sonic game they made for the GBA.

FSparacino4
03-12-2011, 11:49 AM
with an average of 80%, while bioware's second lowest rated console game, jade empire, had an average score of 89%. their lowest rated game over all was that terrible sonic game they made for the GBA.

Who gave it that rating?? In my opinion, it is much better than Origins and WAY better than Jade Empire.

Gackt
03-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Who gave it that rating?? In my opinion, it is much better than Origins and WAY better than Jade Empire.

I agree... the only thing wrong with DA2 is the reuse of the same god damn maps. There is literally only 1 god damn cave in this entire game lol. Aside from that I am really enjoying it and I did not think I would because I hated DA:O lol

ladyvader
03-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I give it a 9/10. Better game play, better graphics, and better story. The same looking caves issue can be said about a lot of games. It was that was in Mass Effect.

Who cares if you can't give your allies different armor? You can upgrade their armor and Anders clothes looks different than they did when I first ran into him.

I swear people complain about the silliest things. Not just with this game, but many others too.

IVIR BLOBBY
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I give it a 9/10. Better game play, better graphics, and better story. The same looking caves issue can be said about a lot of games. It was that was in Mass Effect.

Who cares if you can't give your allies different armor? You can upgrade their armor and Anders clothes looks different than they did when I first ran into him.

I swear people complain about the silliest things. Not just with this game, but many others too.

Silly ?

the combats great for 1 playthrough, but there isnt much replay vale, DAO had multiple possibilities which had some of the more hardcore fans coming back again & again for each possibility.

they've made this game much better for a playthrough & for new people & for just people looking for a good game.

but they've really singled out the hardcore fans who want to get every possibility & get into the lore. theres only 2 sides to take with each quest, you cant converse with party members, you cant kit out your charachters, they re-use the same maps, the whole crafting this isnt as good.

great for new peole or people who enjoyed origins for a playthrough or two but for people like myself who played origins 12 times & awakening 5 times. Its a massive dissapointment.

Bioware got lazy, replaced RPG with combat. singling out the real fans :(

ladyvader
03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Silly ?

the combats great for 1 playthrough, but there isnt much replay vale, DAO had multiple possibilities which had some of the more hardcore fans coming back again & again for each possibility.

they've made this game much better for a playthrough & for new people & for just people looking for a good game.

but they've really singled out the hardcore fans who want to get every possibility & get into the lore. theres only 2 sides to take with each quest, you cant converse with party members, you cant kit out your charachters, they re-use the same maps, the whole crafting this isnt as good.

great for new peole or people who enjoyed origins for a playthrough or two but for people like myself who played origins 12 times & awakening 5 times. Its a massive dissapointment.

Bioware got lazy, replaced RPG with combat. singling out the real fans :(I found it quite the grind to play though Orgins the four times I went through it, so I could get the ending achievement and that even glitched in my favor because I never sacrificed my character with the archdemon. I finished four games and twice I used Morrigans ritual. The story in Orgins is boring. Who care about what your allies are wearing? You couldn't customize your crew in Mass Effect or ME2. Why is that such a huge complaint? Also they released two different appearance packs for them and that is only half the crew.

Please, tell me what different options there were for Origins besides playing as an elf or dwarf? Or are you talking about the origin stories at the beginning of the game. You get two options for the end. Either sacrifice a Gray Warden or use Morrigans Ritual.

The combat is almost the same. The only difference is the auto crap that took me several hours to figure out. I would attack someone and my character would walk in a circle and never hit anyone because they were locked in to an enemy,but they never attacked them. I'd rather hit A when I want to hit someone than that auto crap from DA:O.

It is the story within a game that gets me to play it over and over and over again. I have 15 play throughs on ME2 and I almost always play it the same every time. Why? Because the story sucks me in. Just like a good movie. I will watch over and over and over again. Just because it is good. I will probably play DA2 more than I played Origins because the story is 100 times better in my view.

I am six achievements from 1750 in DA:O, and because I am bored with it, I will never finish those achievements. The Darkspawn Chronicals just sucked and not worth my time to play it again to get the two achievements I didn't get.

And yes, comparing this game to Fable III is silly.

Schreckofant
03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm only a few hours in, but I can already say, that the game is MUCH more fun to play than Origins, thanks to the improved graphics/less static presentation in cut-scenes & dialogues and the combat. The core gameplay is just more fun to play and that was the biggest flaw of the first one.

Origins just wasn't meant to be played on the console, and let's be honest ... it's not like Origins had such a great story either.

Mist
03-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I find myself disliking this game more and more the further on I get. The same maps are getting annoying (I thought they'd learn from Mass Effect.), the story is unsure of what it wants to do, combat is now all about manic buttonmashing, and the inability to chat with your companions whenever you want is also bothering me. I haven't gotten into any really hard battles yet so I can't tell how good/bad the inability to armor your companions as you please is (Since it was utterly vital on harder difficulties in DA:O when you fought bosses), but I care more about the stats than the visual aspect.

Only quest I really liked so far was the end of the White lily-killer quest. Disturbing indeed.

JoshP
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I found Origins to be more epic than Dragon Age 2. The whole Darkspawn story and the Warden thing was far bigger in scope. All the Landsmeet choices, deciding if Loghain would live or die, and deciding who would be king/queen made me feel like I had a much bigger impact on the world than Dragon Age 2 does.

Also, you did get to go to all kind of interesting places. The part where the game dragged was when I felt stuck in Denerim for so long, and this game feels like it is all Denerim all the time.

Dragon Age 2 definitely frames the story in a nice package. I really like Varric's charisma and more of him is always a good thing. His in-game banter is some of the best in any game (although Isabella and Merril have some great conversations too). The between-act summaries are good too. I didn't care for the lost year of indentured servitude, but they could easily add it back in as DLC and that could be pretty cool.

Combat in DA2 is better, but I would have liked the option int he settings to "auto A button" like in the first game. And why won't anyone drink a freaking health potion when they need it?! The tactics system is interesting enough, but this game really needs some smarter AI (or multiplayer co-op would be awesome).

The setting gets old so fast. Too much backtracking. Only one cave layout and only one hideout/lair layout for the entire game. A big boring city full of people just standing around waiting for the hero to approach them. And a few poor map choices, like no quick exit from Darktown when leaving the clinic, or no individual marking for the Alienage on the map. This kind of stuff led to a lot more running around than what was necessary.

I should admit that I also liked Mass Effect 1 better than 2. I don't think Bioware is moving in a wrong direction or anything like that, but I don't think their sequels are better than the originals.

D412k Kn16h7
03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Before I say anything, know that I played both Origins & DA2 on the pc. Which means that when comparing the two I have a different mindset. Secondly, in ME you could customize your companions weapons & armor (like in origins). I will go through comparisons in story, graphics, game play & misc changes & what I thought on them.

Story is the biggest concern in any Bioware game, so it's probably the biggest factor. Both are extremely well told stories and worthy of praise, but I find Origins better. Origins had the whole war with the darkspawn, which is similar to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings & other fantasy (I understand Star Wars isn't fantasy) titles that base their story around a war. (SPOILERS!) Although DA2 had the war against the Qunari in Act 2, and the mage-templar war in act 3. They were only certain predetermined maps in which you fought typical enemies and I never felt a sort of grand epic reason to fight them. Now Dragon Age had this too, where darkspawn were frequent and got boring quick, but you also fought humans & dragons (dragons were less frequent). In Origins darkspawn were put on display where as DA2 places qunari & humans on the spotlight, with the Qunari disappearing after Act 2.
Origins also had more epic cutscenes such as Ostagar & Denerim which really drew me in and made me think it it was more of a playable movie, similar to ME2. DA2 had far less of this and I can understand that people just want to play the game & the action was already satisfying epic in itself, but I really missed them.
As far the setting goes, I also liked Origins freedom of being able to visit forests, caves, snowy regions & cities, where as DA2 placed you in a city for most of the game. I realize that you can go to Sundermount's forested regions & there's even a lava cave, but for the most part, you're in a city where there is hardly any variation.
Similar to ME 1&2, you can only be human. While I understand that they're forcing you to play a part, Origins was different in the fact that you didn't have to be a human. If you were an elf or dwarf, people treated you differently (much similar to you economically status in DA2, but to a greater extent).
Overall, DA2's climax was battling (Spoilers!) the Arisok in the throne room. Meredith was really just Saren, just magically infused by some evil lyrium. Where as the Archdemon could be compared to a glorified High Dragon, it was the penultimate confrontation! It was your purpose! You weren't just caught up in some war, you had waged it for this very battle, where as I never (spoilers) wanted to fight Orsino or Meredith, they just happened to give into evil in extreme times. So once again that epic feeling just wasn't there. Closest DA2 got was Viscount's Throne room.

Graphics aren't nearly as important as story, but in a game that completely overhauls, it's important to compare. Now, being a pc gamer I was blessed with better graphics than the 360, so obviously the change was less dramatic for me.
DA2 graphics are, for the most part, better than the original. The character models look far better (love the look of the elves!), and they look cleaner in general. That being said, I feel like the game looks a bit too cartoony. Yes, it in no way in cell shaded so-to-say, but I feel like DA2 did what the Wind Waker did for Zelda. It's an unfair comparison, Wind Waker was a much bigger step in terms of graphics, but I still feel like DA2 is less real. Does it affect me majorly? Not really, it does a really good of explaining that Bioware wanted to make a game in the same fantasy setting just appeal to a different audience. Those of us who liked Origins are not that audience (Well, at least some of us). So as far as graphics go, I'm fine with it an appreciate what they did. Although landing a mighty blow and seeing an enemy blow into little chunks does reinforce that cartoony feel.

Gameplay was also overhauled, not as much as graphics mind you, but still different. Once again, different experience on the pc, which doesn't include the wheels, but hot keys instead. I understand (may be mistaken) that Origins on the 360 did not have a pause function, where as the pc did. In DA2, they resolved this, but I still think that 360 players of Origins are using it as much as an assist. I'm generalizing of course and have no knowledge what you 360 players do, so I'll assume you play it similar to an action rpg. Once again this is completely on pc, as the pause functionality plays a much larger role in the combat.
The combat in DA2 felt more exciting and visceral as they promised and looks it more. However it can seem a bit over the top at time and can ever feel chaotic at times, with fire & arrows raining down and magic flying everywhere. Where as Origins was more toned down and less interesting, I always knew what was happening, and when a decapitation happened, you sure as hell paid attention. Decapitations are far more frequent in DA2, but less glorified because they happen so often. Also they're in more frequent amounts and against less important enemies. In DA2, if you fought a boss and stabbed him in the stomach and then beheaded him, it felt really good. In this game, if you kill a boss you kill him. (Spoilers) I mean the Rock Wraith kinda disappeared, Orsino, you stepped on, Arisok you stabbed, & Meredith killed herself & the High Dragon (if you found it) was just a sped up version of Origins. In Origins, if you killed any ogre, it was a slow mo, intense takedown. The archdemon/high dragons were fast and then slowed down when you landed a blow resulting in a geyser of blood. Finishers took a bigger spotlight because they were so infrequent and the combat wasn't as distracting.
Now the menus, really nothing to miss here. DA2 is better in almost every way, it's simpler, easy to understand what is better than what, what is junk, etc. I understand people miss the complexity of runes & crafting, but I'm not one of those persons. the only interface I didn't like was how the quick travel map would often say: Visit Anders, but direct you to Darktown instead of Ander's Clinic. Felt kinda dumb. Plus, there were a few places I'd rather just teleport to instead of walking aka Templar Hall, Dalish Camp, etc.

This is my section where I'm a whiny little bitch about the small things. Although these do not really matter in a review, I'm describing my opinion, not a review so I'm including these.
First off, weapons look far more interesting. In Origins you always had fairly typical looking weapons and most of the powerful weapons were just recoloured models of old ones (aka, Starsword & Cailin's sword) The only problem I found (I am a pure warrior, so I can't say the same for mages & rogues) is that I found most of the heavy hitting weapons being Mauls & axes, which I dislike. I'm a huge sword fan and usually a maul/axe would own the swords in terms of damage.
As far as armor goes, DA2 also looks better. I understand that they reused the only good looking plate armor from Origins (Marcher plate [DA2] = Cailin's, Dragonbone, Juggernaut, Duty [DA]) And I later became aware of the fact that the armor is reused a bit, but I don't mind that, most of the armor looks great to begin with and there's more than 2 models that look amazing (unlike Origins). The only thing I didn't like was how I never had a set of armor. It would always be bit's pieces of other sets & never looked like one armor. Yes, there is fallen, champion & plate armor, but there were rather hard to piece together (except plate, you could buy that) similar to Duty & Juggernaut in origins. Origins however happened to give you an entire set like Cailin's, Warden Commander, Dragonbone. (Not sure about the first 2, just remember they were fairly easy to get all at once). Once again that's a small thing that annoys me.
Elves. In DA2 they're like Charlie Sheen turned Jesus. In other words, I really like elves. Their accents, body shape, they just look and act far different that origins (sound like a creepy guy now).Dwarves (excluding varric) and people that have been in origins (excluding Leliana) looks like the demonic child of both games. Their transformation has left some sort of demonic offspring that just plain creeps me out. I mean Sandal looks far creepier than Origins & Alistair looks familiar but it still is rough.
And finally companions. I liked the original cast, there were a few I didn't care about (aka, Wynne, Sten, Zevran) that seemed stereotypical, but I found characters like Morrigan, Leliana, Dog, & Alistair really likeable. This time around I believe we have less (?) characters than before. I hate Fenris, was never a big fan of Anders and he's not as funny as before (I know Justice and all), really don't care for Aveline, but the rest are ok. Merrill is the curious side of Morrigan mixed with the good aspect Leliana, where as Isabella is the naughty side of Morrigan mixed with the playful side of Leliana. To be honest, I still prefer Merrill over Morrigan, although I'd trade Isabella for Leliana. In the same way that: Fenris < Sten, Varric > Oghren, Dog (DA2) < Dog, Isabella < Leliana, Merrill > Morrigan, Bethany < Wynne, Carver < Alistair & Anders < Anders (Awakening)

That being said, in general, I still really love Origins. Although I can understand that DA2 is geared more towards a new audience
& certainty towards console owners, Origins still feels better than DA2
That's me done bitching, but overall, I still believe Origins is better than DA2

Ihazcandy4you
03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Silly ?

Bioware got lazy, replaced RPG with combat. singling out the real fans :(

Hey buddy, go to hell with your "For people like me this is horrible". I played Origins/Awakening 5 times through, which I know doesnt begin to compare to your 12 play throughs (to which I call bullshit btw) and I really like DA2.

The combat is EXCELLENT. Need me to say it again so you can comprehend it? EXCELLENT. Its exactly the same except faster and you dont have your precious auto attack. Which basically means its more interesting to watch and I cant eat a hot pocket while my Warden kills everyone with out me doing anything.

Im currently starting a Mage and Warrior play through to get the Achievement for getting all classes to Kirkwall, then whichever one I like more Im going to do for a 2nd play through. Because I'm stoked to play this game again and side with the other people. Im sorry that for whatever bullshit reason you think Origins was worth 12 play throughs but this isnt worth a 2nd but get over it.

As for your little bitching paragraph, Crying about change doesnt make you hardcore. Hell even 12 play throughs doesnt make you hardcore, it just means you have to much fucking time on your hands. There is a ton of Lore in this game, not quite as much as Origins I dont think but still a lot. Were there more than two sides for Origins? Or Mass Effect? Or KOTOR? Or any Bioware game? Not that I recall. It was all Kill or save the Rachni, Kill or save Wrex, Kill or save whoever.

Reusing the same maps is really annoying, to the point that its laughable. But dont act like this is the first game to do so.

Kit out your party? You mean dress up your pixel dollies? Because thats what it amounts to. Unless you really enjoy spending countless time scrolling through the equipment screen to make sure every party member has the armor that will give him/her 1 extra defense. Crafting is MUCH better! Are you joking?

tkhbecker
03-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Official XBox Magazine 9/10
Playstation The Official Magazine 9/10
PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/08/dragon-age-2-review/) 94%

GameSpot PS3 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Bimg%3B2) 360 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Bimg%3B1) PC (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Bimg%3B0) 8.0
IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1154229p1.html) 8.5

Dont know where you think this was a bellow 80% game when the average is 8.75/10?

Mist
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
@Ihazcandy4you

Different opinions, get over yourself.

Greendisease
03-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow... there is some serious business going on in this post. I loved both games. I wish I was a completionist like the rest of you nut cases out there, but to have the time to play through Origins 12 times or 5 or even 2 is insane. There are way too many games out there. Hopefully someday I hit the lottery and I can be a No-Life too and sit around playing 12 playthroughs. No offense, I honestly wish I had that kind of time.

Ihazcandy4you
03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
@Ihazcandy4you

Different opinions, get over yourself.

Just as soon as all the 'real RPG' fans do the same =)

MASS DOMINATION
03-12-2011, 07:32 PM

GameSpot PS3 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Bimg%3B2) 360 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Bimg%3B1) PC (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragon-age-2/index.html?tag=result%3Bimg%3B0) 8.0

Dont know where you think this was a bellow 80% game when the average is 8.75/10?

Bioware has a low 80 average on metacrtic and a rating ranging from 3.6-4 for the user score.

I love the game and would give it at least a 9/10. its miles better than DAO A
and thats coming from a person who got every single achievement in Origins.

Ihazcandy4you
03-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Bioware has a low 80 average on metacrtic and a rating ranging from 3.6-4 for the user score.

I love the game and would give it at least a 9/10. its miles better than DAO A
and thats coming from a person who got every single achievement in Origins.

User score is so low because morons from 4chan went and trolled the crap out of it.

MASS DOMINATION
03-12-2011, 07:58 PM

THIS^^
i find it hilarious when people say DA2 isn't a real rpg or it has been dumbed down.
-the game is huge
-you can customize every part of your body
-there are 3 classes, each with their own sub-classes
-you level up and upgrade your character choosing from tons of upgrades
-you make choices and choose who you want in your party as well as develop relationships

But oh no. you can't play as a dwaf, caves are repeated (the never ending caves were more boring in origins), a few unneeded abilities have been removed, the game is simplified and easier to understand for non-hardcore gamers and the game isn't long enough. its only 20-30 hours.
so ya not an rpg.

Mist
03-12-2011, 08:34 PM

I don't see the need to sink to their level and make yourself look equally ignorant... but that's up to you.

Vanilla Coke Zero
03-12-2011, 08:37 PM

what the... you can't change your people's armor? i've hardly played DAII, but holy shit that's disappointing. and only 1 cave? wtf? what i loved about DA:O was exploring a bunch of different places; the underground city of orzammar, the forest of the elves, denerim, etc... that's a bummer.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dragon-age-ii