PDA

View Full Version : Weapon and Shield invincible glitch

Chupacabra77
03-12-2011, 05:09 PM
So I'm trying to decide on what shield Aveline should equip, switching back and forth to check the armor/attack stats on two of my favorites. As I keep pressing A to swap them out, I notice that every time I equip/unequip her shield, her armor rating keeps going up, and up, and up.

I spammed the crap out of this glitch until I had her armor rating at over 50,000 points (99%), then tested her out on some random thugs in Lowtown on Nightmare difficulty. With close to 10 guys attacking her at range and melee, her health bar didn't even budge a millimeter. She was now pretty much immune to physical attack.

Using Maker's Breath, I then of course re-spec'ed her out, since she would never take damage again. I ignored Constitution and put points into Willpower, Strength, Dexterity, and Cunning. What was formerly my defensive tank became my offensive badass who can never, ever die by anything but magical attacks (which are at this point in the game are very few and far between.)

I tested this glitch out on a new warrior character, and it works just the same, just equip/unequipping any shield permanently adds its armor value to your character's overall armor score. So if you wanted to, you could have both yourself and Aveline as juggernaut tanks in the same party, or just solo the game yourself.

This is for sure a game-breaking glitch as it takes away any possibility of dying by physical attack, but I'm looking forward to Aveline soloing the high dragon when I start Act III.

Smiles90
03-12-2011, 05:18 PM
That is indeed a game-breaking glitch. But lucky find if someone is wanting to have some fun, like soloing the high dragon on nightmare :) I'm quite disappointed in the amount of achievement glitches and stuff like this. There aren't very many small glitches, but there sure are a quite a few large ones.

MADasaHatter
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
This works. I didn't save it but my Aveline had a 75% armor rating and was a beast, I can just imagine a full 99%.

Maker's Breath resets your char points, but where do I find it?

Chupacabra77
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
The Black Emporium DLC sells them for a couple gold apiece.

A Shoe In
03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Hahahaha. This is amazing. Does is only work on sword and shield characters? Because if Hawke is anything else Aveline is the only one it'll work on.

JDMBO1
03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Is there any possibility of 100%

MADasaHatter
03-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Hahahaha. This is amazing. Does is only work on sword and shield characters? Because if Hawke is anything else Aveline is the only one it'll work on.

Fenris can do it if he has the shield/weapon skill open and Hawke can do it if he's a warrior. That's 3/4 of a party that cannot die. And yes, if you wanted to sit and keep pressing 'A', you can get everyone up to 100% armor rating.

Edit: not fenris. I made a mistake.

adz5000
03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
The only problem is that you will still need some constitution in order to get cool armour. I know it is not needed for protection but it still looks cool.

Also, some of the points usually used for constitiution can be put into magic to get some magic resistance % to make you unstoppable.

1001puppys
03-13-2011, 07:52 PM
This definitely works on a warrior hawke... my resistance is up to 75,000 (I am done pressing A) and Aveline is up to 22,000 (89%)

awesome find, just about as good as the infinite exp glitch to get to level 50 in 20 minutes, its nice to have all those attrubutes to start off !

Surgeon_Sniper
03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
:rockgood find, man. The first update on this game is gonna have to be intensive to fix all this stuff.

JDMBO1
03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
this glitch might fuck your game up actually it wouldn't let me pass Family Matters the mission where you find Varric's brother

BlueWolf
03-13-2011, 11:49 PM
this glitch might fuck your game up actually it wouldn't let me pass Family Matters the mission where you find Varric's brother

I had this happen to me by mistake as I was testing all my shields out, I managed to get through family matters with no issue.

However I have since found out that if you take Aveline into the Night terrors quest, it could become impassable for obvious reasons, breaking your game

Adeptuswolf
03-14-2011, 02:04 AM
WARNING:: DO NOT USE THIS GLITCH ON HAWKE!!

Just spent all day trying to finish Demand of the Qun, I ran back through Act II from before I used this glitch on hawke and its all fine now. So it might be fine on Aveline, but never use this on Hawke, or you'll end up with bugged quests from the looks of it.

1001puppys
03-14-2011, 03:43 AM
I can confirm the above as well, do not use the glitch on yourself. It bugs family matters as well as the vital main story mission: Demand for the qun.

KrossWinter
03-14-2011, 03:47 AM
So, to clarify everything before I do this:

Do not use on Warrior Hawke, as it breaks the game.
Aveline is safe to use it on.
Does not protect against magical attacks.

Is that everything?

JDMBO1
03-14-2011, 03:54 AM
So, to clarify everything before I do this:

Do not use on Warrior Hawke, as it breaks the game.
Aveline is safe to use it on.
Does not protect against magical attacks.

Is that everything?
Yes, That is everything, but one thing

You can use Fenris as well to do this since he's a Warrior, but I don't recommend doing so, because I haven't heard anything about Fenris and this glitch. It might go over well and it might just get your screwed

1001puppys
03-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Yeah. seeing as I got the achievement for nobody dying on Act I, I will not even try any glitches on run 2. It really sucks that this HAD to happen right before the last "side with templars/mages" because now I will need to do two more full playthroughs, the first one was almost a complete waste.

JasonBlade
03-14-2011, 04:18 AM
wait...u can change the actual shield she uses....how do u do that??

KrossWinter
03-14-2011, 04:35 AM
wait...u can change the actual shield she uses....how do u do that??

You get another shield. You have to make sure that her strength and constitution are also high enough to use it. Hit start, go it inventory, then use the bumpers to scroll through your characters. From there, use the triggers to scroll through the sections. Shields are in the weapons section.

stevedb79
03-14-2011, 08:56 AM
great find however i feel i may have to wait until a 2nd play through to try these out as these glitches seem to be ruining the game for some wether it be getting bored cause you cant die or messing about with cut senes so quests are broken, i feel that i may just wait until my 2nd go at this.:)

TriRock
03-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Is this the 'shield glitch' that messes up your game so you can't get past Act II?

eviltb
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Is this the 'shield glitch' that messes up your game so you can't get past Act II?

I believe it might do. I shield glitched Avelines armour upto 100% and now cannot get into Act II. When talking to the dwarf to go into the Deep Roads the convo keeps looping after talking to Mother. I cannot see anything on the Wikia mentioning not being able to progress, but yea looks like it affects it. Gonna try clearing my cache later to see if that rectifies it.

wolfzero01
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
is it okay to just use the glitch when doing the quest to kill the high dragon? or would it screw up any of the quests after that one

eviltb
03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
It looks like it hoses your game completely. So I guess the advice is dont perform this glitch unless you've made a back-up save and want to do the high dragon.

Askeroth
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
It seems enough people have had problems with this so that it's confirmed, but... why? How does boosting your stats influence and break the quest code? It seems unusual, to say the least.

Chupacabra77
03-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I first noticed/used this during the middle of Act II, and I'm now well into Act III without any problems. Not sure if cutscenes aren't loading because of this or something else, but in my second playthrough I'll put it to the test.

bakeryfreshgame
03-16-2011, 11:13 PM
It seems enough people have had problems with this so that it's confirmed, but... why? How does boosting your stats influence and break the quest code? It seems unusual, to say the least.

Because of the fact that it boosts beyond what should be possible at your level it causes code to break or loop where it should not, in all honesty this game needed quite a bit more QA testing to make it work right. I personally believe that if you exploit a glitch and the game bugs out its your own fault. Just play the game, its not so hard.

solo07
03-17-2011, 02:04 AM
wow, i thought DA:O was bad but gosh this game is just glitches and bugs up the wazoo.

JDMBO1
03-17-2011, 02:06 AM
wow, i thought DA:O was bad but gosh this game is just glitches and bugs up the wazoo.
even down to the achievements

bakeryfreshgame
03-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Yeah its on par with a Lionhead glitchfest of a release

Halme
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM

''Bioware strategy: day one buyers = best beta testers''

JDMBO1
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
now there is something we come to find completely insane

Gizmo Monkey
03-18-2011, 02:10 AM
So let me get this straight as long as I don't go all the way to 100% armour rating with my warrior hawk and aveline I will be ok?

I'm asking this because they were 100% armour rating one point by doing this glitch. But when I did the level up glitch to level 50 the armour % dropped back to about 50-60% for both characters. this is because it's in proportion to your level or something. Of course I could make it go back to 100% armour rating permanently now that I'm level 50 as it wouldn't change and drop now after level 50 as it's max. But I don't plan on doing that. Will I still be ok to continue playing like this without the game breaking as long as i dont max my armour rating again? The number next to the armour rating is still showing like 10k though. I'm still on act 1

JDMBO1
03-18-2011, 02:15 AM
So let me get this straight as long as I don't go all the way to 100% armour rating with my warrior hawk and aveline I will be ok?

I'm asking this because they were 100% armour rating one point by doing this glitch. But when I did the level up glitch to level 50 the armour % dropped back to about 50-60% for both characters. this is because it's in proportion to your level or something. Of course I could make it go back to 100% armour rating permanently now that I'm level 50 as it wouldn't change and drop now after level 50 as it's max. But I don't plan on doing that. Will I still be ok to continue playing like this without the game breaking as long as i dont max my armour rating again? The number next to the armour rating is still showing like 10k though. I'm still on act 1
Any percentage that was made by the shield glitch will cause game breaking, Aveline is clean as far as anyone is concerned. As for Fenris, another warrior, you can use him as well, but there is little known if Fenris is safe to use this glitch on. I'd say do as you like, but you've been warned

tkhbecker
03-18-2011, 02:50 AM
QUESTION: I noticed when I used the glitch her % stops at 100% but the points keep going up.

"IF" I use the glitch (again), Should I stop at the 100% mark or keep doing it til it maxes that one stata?

SasuraUchiha
03-20-2011, 11:01 PM
now i'm scared.. i put on 2 shields to see how they look.. have i screwed up my game now?

Cheftastytreats
03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I've read all the posts here so far but i dont get it

will i break my game if i do the glitch with aveline?

JDMBO1
03-20-2011, 11:53 PM
I've read all the posts here so far but i dont get it

will i break my game if i do the glitch with aveline?
No the game doesn't break with Aveline, you can try with Fenris, as well.

Grammaton Dryad
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
No the game doesn't break with Aveline, you can try with Fenris, as well.

Actually you CAN'T do it with Fenris because he can't use S&S.

I've done this with Aveline and again with my Hawk & Aveline. Both playthroughs I never had any issue.

I've also only experienced one real bug/issue in Total with this game for the 100 hours I've played. So maybe i'm just lucky.

I've also NEVER gone up to 100%. I typically stopped around 90%. The highest I've ever had was 98%.

Creepin713
03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
yet another glitch to be added to the list lol

Rivercurse
03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

They released a demo in the hope that people would find glitches like this that could then be rectified. No one did.

JDMBO1
03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
They released a demo in the hope that people would find glitches like this that could then be rectified. No one did.
Yes, but the whole product wasn't tested at all

Rivercurse
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
So you're saying the entire development team didn't playtest the game at all prior to release?

Right...

*exits thread*

JDMBO1
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
So you're saying the entire development team didn't playtest the game at all prior to release?

Right...

*exits thread*
Hm, not entirely what I mean, the product as a whole wasn't tested by the public. If anything yes every game that is released the first week is a collective period where the Dev's take in all the impute made by the public. It's the Dev's that can implement the changes. Now as for things such as glitches I don't think the Dev's check for minor, rather larger ones, not to mention weather the game operates as a whole.

Edit: not every game can be released with out a problem or two