PDA

View Full Version : Aveline speech loop to boost friendship

Rixiden
03-13-2011, 03:03 AM
I found a speech loop involving Aveline at the Wounded Coast in Act 2. The quest "Raiders on the Cliffs" you talk to Lieutenant Harley about the standoff and you have the option to "attack together", something else, or "stand by, i'll do this alone".

if you pick attack together she will mention her troops' morale is low, then you pick the bottom left speech with the angel wings and Hawke gives the troops morale. well afterwards you get out of the conversastion, and you can start it again. you can keep doing this over and over again and at the end of each conco you get +10 friendship with Aveline. I maxed her out this way.

Now, if you want rivalry, pick "i'll handle this alone" and you'll get +5 rivalry

hope this helps!!

edit: I wonder if any other companions can be affected by this quest? Anyone know?

FSparacino4
03-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Not involving this specific quest, but a rivalry loop was mentioned for Sebastian during his Repentance companion quest by talking to the High Cleric next to him in the chantry.

1001puppys
03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Just wanted to know where to find this quest , whether it is given by Aveline or if it is found, so I as well as others don't miss out on it.

thanks in advance.

FSparacino4
03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
This quest isn't given, simply travel to the Wounded Coast during Acr II and travel down the path to the very southern most area and the quest will begin.

Rixiden
03-13-2011, 10:59 PM
oh sorry I didn't even mention where to find the quest, but good catch FS! You're a lot more used to writing guides than me, I just got excited that I found something worthy of contribution. Good job on the roadmap!

PhunkeyMonkeh
03-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Didnt work for trying to make her a rival for me, but the friendship option did.

Xemnas
03-15-2011, 05:58 AM
this is good to know:)

TriRock
03-16-2011, 07:19 AM
I had the option for the rivalry, but I never got the option for boosting morale, despite being on great terms (almost full friendship) with Aveline. I am playing a mage, so it could be that the morale boosting path is only available to warriors and/or rogues.

MASS DOMINATION
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I had the option for the rivalry, but I never got the option for boosting morale, despite being on great terms (almost full friendship) with Aveline. I am playing a mage, so it could be that the morale boosting path is only available to warriors and/or rogues.

i'm a rouge and had about 90% friendship with Aveline when i attempted this mission. I didn't have a good or bad dialogue option. I played it through several times and i would either get +5 rivalry or just nothing.
I played out every scenario so there must be something more to it then just picking the right choices.

DEF R0B0T
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
The karma system for masseffect 2 is running behnind the scences, so if you generally pick the witty responeses or the agressive ones you won't get that dialogue option.

SpinelesS
03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Playing as a warrior (Aveline, Merril, and Varric are with me)

I can get 5 Rivalry once by Saying:
"Stay here. I'll do this alone."

And a 2nd 5 rivalry once by saying"
"This isn't my fight."

But repeating them doesn't seem to further increase my rivalry.

However as the OP says, saying:

"Let's attack them together"
Followed by
"I'll Give them hope." (an angel response)

Will give 10 friendship to aveline over and over

These conversations had no negative or positive effect on Merril and Varric. (though I had maxed out Varric's friendship, so no conversations effect him anymore :))

-ToXiN-
03-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks for pointing this out.

I would also add that this also works for rivalry, and that which option you get depends on your Hawke's personality.

After saying "Let's attack together", you can get one of 2 options on the left side - a top-left blue angelic response, and a bottom-left red fist response. The top one will give you +10 friendship, the bottom will give you +10 rivalry. Tou can repeat the dialogue for either to get the points again. Which response is available depends on Hawke's personality, it seems. I had a slightly friendly relationship with Aveline but had been mostly picking aggressive choices, and I only got the red fist rivalry option.

If this is the case, it's neat to see the consistent personality system Bioware talked about in action, but at the same time, it's limiting the player's choice, and I wanted the friendship points...

nesquik91
03-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I confirm that this does work. Did it with my mage. Thanks for this. :)

DENAz666
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Not involving this specific quest, but a rivalry loop was mentioned for Sebastian during his Repentance companion quest by talking to the High Cleric next to him in the chantry.

Helps towards getting the 4 friends/rivals though

coolfire1357
03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks - when I get to Act II I will definitely need this, as I'm not having a great time with this friend/rival system. This just shouldn't this much of a pain - trying to figure out who to take on every mission and how their reaction to events will be, and then its not what you expect and you have to do it again. Yuk. I liked the system in Origins better.
Has anyone found more of these with other characters? I could use 3 more for the "4 friends or rivals in one playthru" cheevo. I can't even get Varric up to 100% friendship, and since I'm playing mage, I don't have the easy Bethany friendship. argh.

-ToXiN-
03-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks - when I get to Act II I will definitely need this, as I'm not having a great time with this friend/rival system. This just shouldn't this much of a pain - trying to figure out who to take on every mission and how their reaction to events will be, and then its not what you expect and you have to do it again. Yuk. I liked the system in Origins better.
Has anyone found more of these with other characters? I could use 3 more for the "4 friends or rivals in one playthru" cheevo. I can't even get Varric up to 100% friendship, and since I'm playing mage, I don't have the easy Bethany friendship. argh.

Well, if you want rivalries:
Carver is supposedly pretty easy to get rivalry for and starts out leaning towards rival...
Aveline can be used with the speech loop if you have been playing as an aggressive Hawke.
Sebastian has his Repentance quest glitch (I wonder if this works for Aveline too?)
Merril is easy for rivalry - just hate on her every turn. Also take er with you while doing the Forbidden Knowledge quest and destroy every tome, she will get +10 rivalry for every tome so you can get her almost to 100% just with that quest alone, and then can get it all the way during her act 2 companion quest.

For Varric, you can get +15 frienship twice from his Family Matters act 2 quest by killing Bartrand and then his convo afterward.

PK!
03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
I found a speech loop involving Aveline at the Wounded Coast in Act 2. The quest "Raiders on the Cliffs" you talk to Lieutenant Harley about the standoff and you have the option to "attack together", something else, or "stand by, i'll do this alone".

if you pick attack together she will mention her troops' morale is low, then you pick the bottom left speech with the angel wings and Hawke gives the troops morale. well afterwards you get out of the conversastion, and you can start it again. you can keep doing this over and over again and at the end of each conco you get +10 friendship with Aveline. I maxed her out this way.

Now, if you want rivalry, pick "i'll handle this alone" and you'll get +5 rivalry

hope this helps!!

edit: I wonder if any other companions can be affected by this quest? Anyone know?
I tried, and you only gain friendship ("angel") option if you have high friendship on aveline.

Redemption Mode
03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Great find, bro. Will be trying this later when playing through my Exiled Prince DLC leftovers.