PDA

View Full Version : Curious about differences in difficulty setting

neverendr
03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I started out playing on medium, and I'm wondering what the difference is when playing on hard or the difficulty above that. How much tougher are the enemies? Do you get more drops or better quality items? Is it possible to change difficulty from normal to hard in any way, such as reaching a certain level? Can your characters still share items in the shared chest if they're on difference difficulty settings?

Lastly, I saw someone post about "Retiring a character"...what exactly does that mean, and what does it do for you?

Thanks in advance for any info to help with my twenty questions, hehe.

Cheers!

13ip0lar
03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Lastly, I saw someone post about "Retiring a character"...what exactly does that mean, and what does it do for you?

Torchlight offers a system where players can "retire" characters, which provides bonuses to future character development. When a character is retired, they can pass down one item to a new character. This item take's the name of the retired character and receives statistic bonuses. For example, if you pass down an item named 'Bane Sword' with 20 strength for a character named 'Troll', the passed down item will be 'Troll's Bane Sword' with additional strength. The retired character becomes unusable at the point of retirement, so players should be sure to clear inventories and banks. In order to retire a character, they must be level 30 or greater.

Courtesy of: http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Torchlight_Wiki

In regards to the other questions, I am also interested in that info...

Tone630
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Your character can share things on any difficulty as long as they are not hardcore. You can only share hardcore items with other hardcore characters. As far as better loot for harder difficulty? I don't think you get better items the more difficult it is. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you don't.

Trash Man
03-14-2011, 08:58 PM
You Can't change the difficulty once you have started a new character.

I've noticed that you get a lot more drops on the lower difficulty settings, not sure whether or not they are better though.

Any thing other than very hard is just to easy and makes the game boring to play. I guess if you are just after the achievements, you could stick it on easy and just blast through.

I started on normal and after a couple of hours I realised it was to easy and started on hard, after a couple of hours on hard I still thought it was to easy, I was killing named mobs and not even realised I was fighting them until I saw the fame award popping up.

So I started again, for a 3rd time, and now on very hard it's a lot more enjoyable, at least for me anyway.

neverendr
03-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Torchlight offers a system where players can "retire" characters, which provides bonuses to future character development. When a character is retired, they can pass down one item to a new character. This item take's the name of the retired character and receives statistic bonuses. For example, if you pass down an item named 'Bane Sword' with 20 strength for a character named 'Troll', the passed down item will be 'Troll's Bane Sword' with additional strength. The retired character becomes unusable at the point of retirement, so players should be sure to clear inventories and banks. In order to retire a character, they must be level 30 or greater.

Courtesy of: http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Torchlight_Wiki

In regards to the other questions, I am also interested in that info...

Thank you for the info on retirement...I had read about it on a website and it made absolutely zero sense, your explanation is succint and perfectly informative.

I did some further research regarding drops vs difficulty level and the general concensus is that the harder the difficulty the less drops you get, but the higher the potential quality. Some item sets only drop on hard and very hard (the purple stuff) and there are unique gold named items for hard and very hard as well. It seems much like diablo / diablo II in that regard. If I come up with any further information I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the info very much!