PDA

View Full Version : My Aussie Friends Beware! *Read if from Australia*

TEBellant
03-16-2011, 01:01 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mortalkombat9/news.html?sid=6303984&tag=newsfeatures%3Btitle%3B1

:lockedI dont know if yall usually deal with this kinda crap for all the games that get banned in your country but just a warning cause I stumbled onto this and thought all my fellow MK fans in Australia should know just in case. Seems like they are extremely serious about penalizing those importing this game. Said I wasn't gonna make anymore threads but thought that ya'll should know in case you didn't come across this information. :(

Plym
03-16-2011, 01:22 AM
That's just ridiculous.
I'm sure the Australian government have better things to do than make sure a computer game is kept out of the country.

vetteindreams
03-16-2011, 01:26 AM
AFAIK the publishers have resubmitted the original product again, reasoning that there are more violent products readily and currently available

the fines have always been an issue, but i have never seen them fully enforced - yet

hopefully this problem will be resolved in July when the governors' general meet and finally allow an adult restriction - yep ever the dreaming optimist

@plym you'd think so but no, protect our phony jobs is the Australian politicians main employment

Vulger Spartan
03-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Here's what you do if you have family/friends living outside the country, have them open it put the game in a DVD Box with a Disney Movie Cover printedoff from a site like: http://www.cdcovers.cc/

Forget the Manual & Stuff, You just need the disc, put another disc over it & Wrap it in plastic (You dont need anything special like shrink wrap, just use clear tape along the edges) then wrap it in Birthday wrapping paper & Then have them put it in one of those DVD mailing envelope/Boxes & have them send it off.

So if customs or what-have-you gets lint in their p*ssy after it runs through an X-Ray machine & reveals a Disc they open the Wrapping paper to see Cinderella or Peter Pan on the cover & the customs agent being human is inherently lazy like everyone else & Just moves on & you'll get your MK... Hopefully...

I dunno just brain-storming, its worth a try.

To Tell you the truth The ACB seems almost corrupt or has lopsided morals.
They say okay to games like "FEAR 2" & "AVP" but some other games like "L4D 2" & "Marc Eckō's Getting Up" are banned. I mean Mark Ecko's game was just Graffiti! Whats next Banning a paintball game for letting paint hit trees & Walls & Stuff? Come on!

Next thing you know they'll be banning anything that criticizes the political party that in power at the time! As Che Guevara once said: "Viva la Revolución!"

Annalie
03-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Pieville is not going to be happy about this.

SevenJesterHats
03-16-2011, 02:18 AM
NO WAY?! this is just gettin stupid now.
ALL this work to stop the game making our shores and all that need to do was slap a R18+ on the front cover!
its just more work for them.
IM SOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im a proud to be aussie, but at this moment they are making me wish i wasnt one :(

Cav Clayton
03-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Relax guys. This is just a standard response from customs.
It is possible that they'll check more often during the first month or so of release but the odds are still on your side.

If you're really worried, just wait a month or two once the hype dies down and you should be good to go.

OR you could *shrugs* pirate it.

Btw, just got the demo and am stoked!

DEG23
03-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Wow imagine what would have happened if they didn't release that statement and all those gamers over 18 tried to import it. All those adult gamers enjoying a game that apparently isn't suitable for them:confused:

I'm thinking the same a Clayton just wait a few months until the hype is over, by then most of the customs people would have given up. Same thing happned when i used to work at Kmart, i was told to check id for a game rated MA (can't remember which one) after 2 days i gave up and just sold it to whoever wanted it.

SevenJesterHats
03-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Relax guys. This is just a standard response from customs.
It is possible that they'll check more often during the first month or so of release but the odds are still on your side.

If you're really worried, just wait a month or two once the hype dies down and you should be good to go.

OR you could *shrugs* pirate it.

Btw, just got the demo and am stoked!

thats what i was thinkin, but i want my kollections ed. as much as i want the game itself :( and if i do wait for 2-3 mths, i missed the chance of getting a kollections ed. right? :(

i dont order games that often online, so i am asking if the site i ordered from (GAME.co.uk) could possblie hold on a kollections ed. for me 2-3 mths after release and then ship it? is this possblie?

oh, and a question clayon, your Australan? how did u get the demo for MK9?

Pieville
03-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Pieville is not going to be happy about this.

Pieville is not happy about this!!! :mad:
This is stupid!!!

Cav Clayton
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM
thats what i was thinkin, but i want my kollections ed. as much as i want the game itself :( and if i do wait for 2-3 mths, i missed the chance of getting a kollections ed. right? :(

i dont order games that often online, so i am asking if the site i ordered from (GAME.co.uk) could possblie hold on a kollections ed. for me 2-3 mths after release and then ship it? is this possblie?

oh, and a question clayon, your Australan? how did u get the demo for MK9?

I'm going to stay away from the kollector's edition just because it bring that much more attention to the customs. I was kind of hoping they had a 'watered-down' version so I could still buy the kollector's and just import the uncut version from overseas.

And to answer your question..
I have a US account on my PS3.

SevenJesterHats
03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
so no go for the kollections edition :(

devilkingdave
03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
customs is not going to able to stop this i myself have several banned/unedited games. As it is i already have the demo on my ps3. This however is ridiculous its just a scare campaign to stop us angry aussie gamers importing.

SevenJesterHats
03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
customs is not going to able to stop this i myself have several banned/unedited games. As it is i already have the demo on my ps3. This however is ridiculous its just a scare campaign to stop us angry aussie gamers importing.

So are you gonna go ahead and pre-order your copy on release date?

i wish i had your attitude but i really dont wanna give our government my 300 dollars if my copy doesnt get to me!

HorsemanOfWar16
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
What a load of shite !! - I mean to the ACB: - ITS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME!!! -They cant have real jobs... surely if they are sitting around banning video games. Honestly Is there not more pressing matter in the world - they can focus on ?!! - I mean I'am from U.K. - But this is just ridiculous!! - I'am pissed! lol

Big To
03-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Sorry, dudes.

devilkingdave
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
yeah probablly, i once worked at a retailer that imported games and we managed to get several copies of manhunt 1&2, leisure suit larry, resivour dogs and several other games that are on the same "sieze" list. not all these games came in at the same time though but we had no trouble getting them in though.

Cav Clayton
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
^ I'll be checking out little game stores where I live who usually sell US versions of games. Doubtful, but might as well while the hype dies down.

Woody28
03-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Still don't care, still gonna import. It'll look good next to my copies of manhunt, Leisure suit larry: Magna Cum Laude, Marc Ecko's getting up, and Blitz: the league II.

Bring it on customs...

TEBellant
03-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Still don't care, still gonna import. It'll look good next to my copies of manhunt, Leisure suit larry: Magna Cum Laude, Marc Ecko's getting up, and Blitz: the league II.

Bring it on customs...

Thats the spirit! :drunk

GodsmacKam
03-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Couldn't you guys buy a game from aboard and ask them to put the disc in another game case? Im sure they wouldnt check...or would they? Unlucky guys, hope ur govt changes their mind...

Vulger Spartan
03-18-2011, 08:25 PM
its kind of Funny that they ACB wont let violent game in & are willing to punish their own people for buying from abroad. But When a Hollywood movie come to film there & it's violent movie it's okay!?

Jackie Chan has made several movies in Australia (Maybe They not as violent as MK) but still there killing & Fighting & stuff & he has/had a home there.
The first 2 Mad Max Films!? Sure they were from before Game Ratings etc. but are they gonna ban those now!?
Mission: Impossible II not really that violent but still there's killing& the Majority of It was Film there.
The Proposition (2005) was awesome & pretty damn violent.
Shogun Assassin isn't on the Present day Ban Lists I Browsed & That's Pretty much on the Level with Mortal Kombat. The Entire Lone Wolf & Cub Series is Violent. Some what poetic Violence... But Gruesome all hell.

Its all contradiction.

DEG23
03-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Still reckon the customs threat is nothing more than scare tactics, most likely aimed at younger people importing it. I sure as hell wouldn't risk it back when i was 14, 15.

But what i would like the see for these banned games in Australia is a parental lock system that was used back in the 90's on a lot of the more violent games. Not too sure if it would be a lot of extra work which means an increase in the price but when Duke Nukem 3D first came out, the number of my friends that tried to play the game belonging to their parnets or older siblings only to find they needed a password was annoying at the time but would temporarily solve the broken ratings problem.

Pieville
03-21-2011, 05:41 AM
After reading through all these comments, I'm thinking it's worth the risk.
I mean seriously, it's Mortal Kombat!!!
I doubt that most customs officers will even do anything when there's bigger fish to fry.