PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Edition?

THE D ZASTA
03-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I have never used a fight stick and was thinking of shelling out the $150 for the MK stick. Anyone have an opinion on which is better for the money? Either the SFIV fight pad for $30 or the MK Fight Stick for $90 (taking $60 out for price of game).:confused:

Darkhorse4life
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Well a few things that might sway your decision one way or another:

1. The MK layout is a bit different than most traditional Japanese fighters. The buttons are configured in a square with the block button in the middle of the square and the "run" button underneath where your thumb would rest. This is true to the old arcade machines, Google an old Ultimate MK 3 machine if you are unsure what I mean.

2. The construction of the joystick is different. The stick uses a Happ straight stick more commonly found in US arcades in the 90s, not the traditional Japanese ball on top. Also it uses buttons that are a bit mushier more like the standard pinball or 90s arcade style buttons as opposed to the Sanwa style on Japanese controllers.

3. As far as I can tell, the Tournament Edition pre-orders are sold out at all the major retailers... Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop. So it might be difficult to find one.

Hope that info was helpful.

edit: I just saw you said fight pad not fight stick. I don't have any experience with the fight pad, but if you are going to play on Xbox and use a pad I'd recommend anything that IS NOT the official controller as the dpad is simply awful. Fight pad might be good although I've never used it myself.

THE D ZASTA
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the quick thorough response. I actually did not realize all the different layouts until you pointed it out to me. This has in the end swayed me to go for the tournament edition. Luckily I was able to preorder one at Best Buy but like you said both of my first choices GameStop/Amazon were both sold out. Apparently they are everyone elses first choices as well. Thanks again.

jung4ever
03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for posting this, I am in the same position. (i was able to preorder from Amazon) I just was curious as to the quality of the MK tournament edition stick. I am 33 and used to love playin MK in the arcade. I have never owned an arcade stick, and want one to play MK and M vs. Capcom w/one. I've been disappointed with special edition stuff in the past, (ie. MW2 nightvision goggles) so I'm kinda leery about this one. What is another good option for an arcade stick? I've only ever used a friends Street fighter 4 stick, which I thought was fine. Oh yeah, I cannot fuckin wait for Mortal Kombat! Thanks again for the help.