PDA

View Full Version : how to avoid the bounty board glitch

tiptup
03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
do not go to the mages tower bounty board before the hatmandor bounty board, on my 1st playthrough where i had the glitch i stopped at the mages tower 1st which looks like what causes the bounty board outside hatmandor to glitch.

instead, start the game and just stick to the main story until you get the doors to hatmandor open then talk to bad yi and you'll be able to get the 2 bounty board quests that glitch out for everyone, once you've got them you can then go to the mages tower bounty board and pick up any quests from there. i've tried that twice now and both times it's given me all the quests.

pretty stupid for an open world game that you've got to do them in order but it only takes 2-3 hrs to run through the main story to hatmandor, which is a lot better than the 25 odd hrs i'd already played before finding out i had the glitch.

not much use to anyone who's already glitched but for those of you just starting out it should save a lot of frustration at this buggy game.

Cuthred
03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
pretty stupid for an open world game that you've got to do them in order but it only takes 2-3 hrs to run through the main story to hatmandor, which is a lot better than the 25 odd hrs i'd already played before finding out i had the glitch.

hmm .. besides the fact that this stupid game freezes on me all the time anyway .... how does this glitch affect the game? Can I no longer access the bounty board in Hatmandor? Or how do I notice that I have this problem? (I am not in Hatmandor yet, but have been to the mages tower)

The Pants Party
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I went to the Mages board first in my game and had no issues. :/

Extra Saucy
03-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I did as well, can anyone really confirm that they missed quests? I did like 4-5 mage guild quests right away and then got 2 from the bounty board. I did those, and I believe the 3rd quest the board gave me was "Family Jewels" for the Thieves Guild. According to gamepressure, I don't think I've missed any opportunity? Not sure what happened.

tiptup
03-23-2011, 02:00 AM
black marketeers and unsolicited guests were the 2 quests that glitched out on me, the hatmandor bounty board never offered them on my 1st playthrough but like i say i got them no probs on my 2nd and 3rd by going to hatmandor 1st.
if others have still managed to get them after taking quests from the mages tower bounty board 1st then this must just be one of those glitches that some are lucky to avoid, unlike me

Park Diesel
06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
While using the method posted here will guarantee the bounty board does not glitch, I don't think it is going to the Mage's board first that causes it. There are just too many variables to determine what causes the glitch.

My 1st playthrough, which it did glitch on, I did go to the Mage's board first. But I also did several Brotherhood quests and went into the city to overhear the merchants talking and receive the "Stolen Corpse" quest before even noticing the board in Hatmandor. I think one of the latter two may be the culprit, but like I said, there are too many variables.

You can probably do many different things and not experience the glitch, but is it worth the chance? Personally, I was 19 hours in when I realized that I was screwed and had to restart to avoid an entire second playthrough.

In conclusion, if you're starting the game and worried about this glitch, do as the OP suggests. Just stay focused on the main quest line until you get to Hatmandor and receive those quests from the board. You will not miss anything, you can go back to everywhere you had been and explore later.

Lord Arkhan
06-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Ok the first time I went to Hatmandor I had not gone into the Mages Guild but the quest 'Family Jewels' would not come up for me.

I restarted the game and skipped everything but the main story to get to hatmandor, There were 3 quests available. I only took the one where you clear out the sewer then went back and got the one for the old guards once it popped up (because with all the guides I could find everything said these two were needed to unlock the quest. I went to the bounty board but there is still no quest for family jewels. I have only done the 2 quests and have not even taken the scrolls for the others but I cannot get it to come up.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I would really like to be able to do ALL the missions.

Park Diesel
06-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Ok the first time I went to Hatmandor I had not gone into the Mages Guild but the quest 'Family Jewels' would not come up for me.

I restarted the game and skipped everything but the main story to get to hatmandor, There were 3 quests available. I only took the one where you clear out the sewer then went back and got the one for the old guards once it popped up (because with all the guides I could find everything said these two were needed to unlock the quest. I went to the bounty board but there is still no quest for family jewels. I have only done the 2 quests and have not even taken the scrolls for the others but I cannot get it to come up.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I would really like to be able to do ALL the missions.

I did not get the Family Jewels quest until much later. I know all the guides say it will be there on the board when you get there, but I could not get it until I had the key for the Southern Gate. The quest requires you to go beyond the Southern Gate, so it kind of made sense to me once I saw that. For me, it was the last bounty board quest I received in Hatmandor. There is also another thread here basically confirming what I just said, just not in as much detail.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=310673&highlight=family+jewels

Lord Arkhan
06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Ok, thanks. I guess I am just paranoid because of all the reports of glitches.

Death Metal Jim
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Making sure to bump this thread as a warning to other people who will be starting this game in the future. This happened to me, and instead of the campaign taking 25 hours to complete, it turned into 45 since I had to restart from scratch. Why this isn't mentioned in the achievement guide I have no idea, especially since the PS3 trophy guide mentions it.