PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars vs. Hardcore Pawn

RexDarr
03-24-2011, 01:21 AM
So I've noticed a few spinoff's of the show Pawn Stars.
If anyone hasn't seen it its a pawn shop in Las Vegas run by a family (grandfather, father, son), and some of their close friends.
Some of the weirdest things arrive at that store and the family is either bickering over something or having a blast over an item they found (tattoo set, jukebox, off-road motorcycle, pac-man table arcade, and more).
I noticed a few days ago that there was a new show on TV called Hardcore Pawn, some old bitter scraggly white guy whose ego is bigger than the United States and Canada combined and his disfunctional family. As well, there have been some other spinoff's of pawn shows but I won't get into detail.
My question to you:
Which show do you like more?

Burning Karma
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
I like Pawn Stars. It's interesting the stuff that comes into their store, as well as some of the people. I've never watched the other show at all. What channel does it air on?

RexDarr
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
I like Pawn Stars. It's interesting the stuff that comes into their store, as well as some of the people. I've never watched the other show at all. What channel does it air on?
It's on a Canadian station called TV Tropolis. Its beginning to air a lot of spin-off shows.

KeepEmRolling
03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
It's on a Canadian station called TV Tropolis. Its beginning to air a lot of spin-off shows.

That would explain why I've never seen it then. I'm a huge fan of Pawn Stars...one of my favorite shows on tv. Chumley is the man, and I loved the episode where he had to track down Bob Dylan to autograph an album, and he has him sign it "to Chumley"...great stuff.

I'll definitely check the other show out if it comes to a station I get.

Kairi
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I really like Pawn Stars, that show is really interesting! ^^ I watched Hardcore Pawn a few times and but I don't really like that one too much n.n;

and for the channels- I think both can be on the history channel but I'm not too sure.

JAW LV
03-24-2011, 06:56 PM
TBH I haven't seen the other shows, but with that being said as a Vegas native I have to vote for Pawn Stars. I've been to the shop 4 times and most of the stuff you see on TV is still there... and that's because it's way over priced lol.

The employees inside are nice. The last time I went to the shop I went with my 6yr old son; one of the employees gave my son a free Pawn Stars wristband and a free tube of chapstick that is Chumberry flavored :p I have yet to see any of the "stars" though.

cohocton22
03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Pawn stars is the OG of pawn shop shows

13ip0lar
03-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Pawn Stars. My theo turned me onto it and I've been watching it since. That said I read the plot of Hardcore pawn when I seen it pop up on a site, and tbh it looks like it focuses more on the drama of the pawn shop then shit that comes in. At least if the show is on history channel you know it will be interesting. Plus I can't remember but I think that show is on a fake network known for faking shit and doing dramatizations/reenactments. I forget friend wanted me to watch some bounty show or some shit.

Even with that being false, I'd rather watch a show about cool shit, then something about people yelling about random problems they have.

balance13
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
I like Pawn Stars there is always interesting items on there and you usually end up with a little history lesson during the show.

I plan on going to Vegas sometime and stopping in there.

RexDarr
03-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Pawn Stars. My theo turned me onto it and I've been watching it since. That said I read the plot of Hardcore pawn when I seen it pop up on a site, and tbh it looks like it focuses more on the drama of the pawn shop then shit that comes in. At least if the show is on history channel you know it will be interesting. Plus I can't remember but I think that show is on a fake network known for faking shit and doing dramatizations/reenactments. I forget friend wanted me to watch some bounty show or some shit.

Even with that being false, I'd rather watch a show about cool shit, then something about people yelling about random problems they have.

Hardcore Pawn is completley based on drama. The guy on the show once went to a gun store and bought guns for the family then flipped out at the salesman when asked if he wanted a holster.... FAIL

13ip0lar
03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Hardcore Pawn is completley based on drama. The guy on the show once went to a gun store and bought guns for the family then flipped out at the salesman when asked if he wanted a holster.... FAIL
Yeah, fuck that. I mean apparently they got the idea people like drama on reality shows from somewhere, I just don't know where? Maybe when they first came out, people's reactions were like "OH SNAP?! Did he just do that!?". Now it's like "Seen it...", so meh.

I feel bad because I still watch Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares which are both like that, but I noticed and have heard the UK versions of Kitchen Nightmares focuses more on the food, and I caught a bit of it when in Cali and it does, or less drama at least. Also, with that all said I started watching Top Chef, just jumping into the middle of season 8 (current season), mainly being drawn in for wanting a good cooking show to watch, then staying just to stare at Padma. I know I'm a tool for women lol. Anyways, just wanted to express my frustration for this drama tv, and which they just had some quality reality tv. I realize that might be an oxymoron, but I've seen enough decent shows to feel that it is do-able.

RexDarr
03-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Yeah, fuck that. I mean apparently they got the idea people like drama on reality shows from somewhere, I just don't know where? Maybe when they first came out, people's reactions were like "OH SNAP?! Did he just do that!?". Now it's like "Seen it...", so meh.

I feel bad because I still watch Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares which are both like that, but I noticed and have heard the UK versions of Kitchen Nightmares focuses more on the food, and I caught a bit of it when in Cali and it does, or less drama at least. Also, with that all said I started watching Top Chef, just jumping into the middle of season 8 (current season), mainly being drawn in for wanting a good cooking show to watch, then staying just to stare at Padma. I know I'm a tool for women lol. Anyways, just wanted to express my frustration for this drama tv, and which they just had some quality reality tv. I realize that might be an oxymoron, but I've seen enough decent shows to feel that it is do-able.

People enojoy drama. That's how most reality shows (Big Brother, Survivor, Bachelor, etc), make it so big. I'll agree with you on the UK Version of KN, I caught an episode here in Canada on a satellite channel not too long ago. Iron Chef is a good cooking show without a lot of the drama.

13ip0lar
03-27-2011, 05:14 AM
People enojoy drama. That's how most reality shows (Big Brother, Survivor, Bachelor, etc), make it so big. I'll agree with you on the UK Version of KN, I caught an episode here in Canada on a satellite channel not too long ago. Iron Chef is a good cooking show without a lot of the drama.

I know, I watch none of those no longer. The only reason I use to is because dad & mi mum use to watch them. So we would all gather round and join in. They are no longer together, so problem solved lol. I just can't imagine many haven't tired of the same crap over and over again. Whatever...

DOOKH8R
03-27-2011, 06:19 AM
That would explain why I've never seen it then. I'm a huge fan of Pawn Stars...one of my favorite shows on tv. Chumley is the man, and I loved the episode where he had to track down Bob Dylan to autograph an album, and he has him sign it "to Chumley"...great stuff.

Best. Episode. Ever.

JDMBO1
03-27-2011, 06:23 AM
I like Pawn Stars it really does put together everything in a historical and quizzical since

Coadster1
04-02-2011, 08:00 AM
I love Pawn Stars. You always learn something when you watch it. I've never heard of Hardcore Pawn, sounds lame.

RexDarr
04-04-2011, 06:00 AM
I had a dream that the old man (Richard), was playing with the original members of Pink Floyd in a pub. I went up to him and asked him for an autograph (holding up a copy of Dark Side of the Moon), he looked at me and said "Son, that's not our album. That looks like crap. Here have this one instead (handed me a copy of Piper At The Gates of Dawn)... And throw that other crap in the garbage."
I woke up ROFLing soo hard! I thought it was hilarious

McGoogles
04-04-2011, 06:06 AM
It's very hard to choose. It's kind of like choosing between these two options:

YouTube - South Park:Can you point to the fag for me

If I had to pick one it'd be Pawn Stars because I can't stand shows on "TruTV" that aren't necessarily "Tru". A great example would be Operation Repo. I think the show was okay when it wasn't fake, until the they ran out of material and resorted to paying people to act and create false scenes that are obviously acted out.

From the best of my memory I think that Hardcore Pawn is the fake one.

RexDarr
04-04-2011, 06:41 AM
It's very hard to choose. It's kind of like choosing between these two options:

YouTube - South Park:Can you point to the fag for me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg)

If I had to pick one it'd be Pawn Stars because I can't stand shows on "TruTV" that aren't necessarily "Tru". A great example would be Operation Repo. I think the show was okay when it wasn't fake, until the they ran out of material and resorted to paying people to act and create false scenes that are obviously acted out.

Totally agree. I think that sometimes even the show Cops is faked. It seems that the question "It wasn't mine" is said a lot or even "Its my friends" is quite a popular one. I'm not dissing Cops (I watch it when nothing else is on) but it seems that every culprit is dumbfounded and have seen the show before so they know what to say.
Cop: "Excuse me, did you know why I pulled you over?"
Culprit: "No sir"
Cop: "You were speeding. Can we search the car?"
Culprit: "Sure, but you won't find anything there"
Cop: *finds drugs and/or fire arms* "Excuse me, are these yours?"
Culprit: "No, I have never seen those before in my life" OR "They are my friends"
Cop: *if culprit chose the 1st response* "Well they are in your car"
Culprit: "This isn't my car. Its a friends car" *which ends up leading to the answer to the 2nd choice*
Cop: *if culprit chose the 2nd response* "Whats your friends name?"
Culprit: "I don't know/remember"

R Rated Love
04-11-2011, 06:25 AM

While that's the one on TruTV, it's definitely not fake. Just as is the case with the shop on Pawn Stars, it really exists and operates. To be perfectly honest, I'd say it's a lot more "real" than Pawn Stars in terms of documenting a pawn shop.

Hardcore Pawn represents a typical pawn shop in a relatively poor area of Detroit. People pawn jewelry, DVD players, guitars, random shit that people typically pawn. Pawn Stars is a modern-day Antiques Roadshow, with nothing but historical artifacts and classic cars. The owner has a friend who specializes in literally whatever type of item you bring in. It's pure television.

JeremyVersion1
04-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I'll watch either show, but Pawn Stars is far better then Hardcore Pawn. I'm actually interested in what people bring into the Pawn Stars shop.

EMP
04-18-2011, 03:08 AM
I like Pawn Stars interesting to see what goes in and out the shop and there's a little comedy to go with it as well

13ip0lar
04-21-2011, 07:03 AM
I like Pawn Stars interesting to see what goes in and out the shop and there's a little comedy to go with it as well

I use to think a lot of the humorous bits were staged, and still do tbh. However, after seeing Chum-Lee last week breaking that bowling machine, I can't believe that was faked, or staged for lolz. Either way I lol'd my ass off when I seen that, and was like "no fucking way he just did that...LOL!"

DOOKH8R
04-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I use to think a lot of the humorous bits were staged, and still do tbh. However, after seeing Chum-Lee last week breaking that bowling machine, I can't believe that was faked, or staged for lolz. Either way I lol'd my ass off when I seen that, and was like "no fucking way he just did that...LOL!"

Did you see the one where Chum dropped the leg shackle and weight through the glass case?

13ip0lar
04-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Did you see the one where Chum dropped the leg shackle and weight through the glass case?

I don't think the guy is genuinely as retarded as he acts in the show, however, I don't think he is the sharpest tool in the shed. That said I assume you watch it pretty often, and you will notice they put a lot of shit on that glass case, so presumably it was an honest mistake. However, I would assume you work there long enough get a feeling for what you usually put up there, and what you don't or don't wanna risk putting up there, and just set it on the floor. Then again I think they have hard top surfaces to, so it's all a bit "hmmm".

Anyways didn't mean to ramble on. In conclusion, I don't think the guy has an IQ of 80, but I wouldn't trust him to move my car.