PDA

View Full Version : Buying the dlc after completing the game?

The Destroyernatorer
03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm on Act III now, and I've heard you can't play this dlc in Act III, or at least not all of it.

I've also heard that you can start the dlc once you've beaten the story.

I'd like to play all the dlc, and have a shot at all the achievements, without having to start a new game or re-load old saves. Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

Thanks.

Kirbster117
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I am pretty sure you have to do all the parts in the act they are in. There is one in each act that you need to complete. Each part gives an achievement with two extras for the gift and the friend/rival.

The Destroyernatorer
03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I am pretty sure you have to do all the parts in the act they are in. There is one in each act that you need to complete. Each part gives an achievement with two extras for the gift and the friend/rival.

Hmmm...

will it work if I reload an old save from Act I, do the first bit, then reload an old save from Act II, do that bit and so on?

Or will the bits in Act II and III not be available if you haven't done the former parts first?

If the latter is the case then it seems starting a new game is the only solution. I hope not, because with everything I've got to play I don't have time for that, so will have to miss this dlc. :(

wizzlestick
03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Hmmm...

will it work if I reload an old save from Act I, do the first bit, then reload an old save from Act II, do that bit and so on?

Or will the bits in Act II and III not be available if you haven't done the former parts first?

If the latter is the case then it seems starting a new game is the only solution. I hope not, because with everything I've got to play I don't have time for that, so will have to miss this dlc. :(

I bought the DLC *after* I had already beaten the game. Basically I just loaded my Act 3 up and was able to just finish the last portion of his companion quest, then I loaded my Act 2 save and was able to do every other achievement (His beginning and all followups).

Hope that answers your question

slyweasel2
03-25-2011, 03:47 AM
If I already saw the cut scene with Sebastian at the Chantry board in Act 1, delete the DLC to redownload and fix the achievements, I am still essentially at the beginning and should be fine, right?

FSparacino4
03-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm on Act III now, and I've heard you can't play this dlc in Act III, or at least not all of it.

I've also heard that you can start the dlc once you've beaten the story.

I'd like to play all the dlc, and have a shot at all the achievements, without having to start a new game or re-load old saves. Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

Thanks.

The DLC quests CAN'T be started in your post-game save. They also all can't be done by reloading past saves unless you did the quests previously in those saves because they are a chain and are only available after completing the previous quest. So unfortunately you are going to need to start a new game.

If I already saw the cut scene with Sebastian at the Chantry board in Act 1, delete the DLC to redownload and fix the achievements, I am still essentially at the beginning and should be fine, right?

Yes. As long as you are not in Act III, you should be able to start the first companion quest.

The Destroyernatorer
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I bought the DLC *after* I had already beaten the game. Basically I just loaded my Act 3 up and was able to just finish the last portion of his companion quest, then I loaded my Act 2 save and was able to do every other achievement (His beginning and all followups).

Hope that answers your question

The DLC quests CAN'T be started in your post-game save. They also all can't be done by reloading past saves unless you did the quests previously in those saves because they are a chain and are only available after completing the previous quest. So unfortunately you are going to need to start a new game.

Yes. As long as you are not in Act III, you should be able to start the first companion quest.

So hang on... I've got two people saying different things? :confused:

JDMBO1
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
So hang on... I've got two people saying different things? :confused:
I read them the and they don't differ from one another

The Destroyernatorer
03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
I read them the and they don't differ from one another

I thought the first said he bought it after buying the game, and then loaded up his old saves to play, starting with Act 3.

Whilst the second said you can't start it post-game, or in act 3, you need to start again.

The first guy also said he did the Act 3 stuff before everything else, whereas the second one said they're a chain and you need to do them in order.

Unless I'm reading it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, haha :p

wizzlestick
03-26-2011, 11:56 PM
I thought the first said he bought it after buying the game, and then loaded up his old saves to play, starting with Act 3.

Whilst the second said you can't start it post-game, or in act 3, you need to start again.

The first guy also said he did the Act 3 stuff before everything else, whereas the second one said they're a chain and you need to do them in order.

Unless I'm reading it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, haha :p

You nailed it spot on :)

Sorry about my misleading post; In retrospect I am now realizing the concerns of the OP, but yea my point was more that you could do things out of order (Act 3 could be done without ever having done the priors) and even if you hadn't previously purchased the DLC but had beat the game, you could just load up an Act 2/3 and get 100% of those DLC achievements.

The Destroyernatorer
03-27-2011, 08:57 AM
You nailed it spot on :)

Sorry about my misleading post; In retrospect I am now realizing the concerns of the OP, but yea my point was more that you could do things out of order (Act 3 could be done without ever having done the priors) and even if you hadn't previously purchased the DLC but had beat the game, you could just load up an Act 2/3 and get 100% of those DLC achievements.

No worries :p

Although it seems that I don't have any Act 2 saves! :(

FSparacino4
03-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I just tested it and doing the Act III companion quest IS NOT possible without ever having done the Act I and II companion quests. The only way it is posdible is if you already did his Act I and II quests in a previous game. Then you can load up the Act III save and do that quest since the others were already done. Hope that helps with your confusion. Unless it is one of many glitches in the game, but all companion quests behave in that manner.

The Destroyernatorer
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I just tested it and doing the Act III companion quest IS NOT possible without ever having done the Act I and II companion quests. The only way it is posdible is if you already did his Act I and II quests in a previous game. Then you can load up the Act III save and do that quest since the others were already done. Hope that helps with your confusion. Unless it is one of many glitches in the game, but all companion quests behave in that manner.

Thanks. Not what I was hoping to hear, though.

Maybe I can get it, load up an old act I save and then do his stuff as I speedrun to Act III. It's annoying though, that paid dlc isn't more accessible.

Ibiki Morino
03-28-2011, 03:29 AM

Its another glitch I got his Act 3 achievement without ever doing his Act 1/2 quest.Just check out my achievements.