PDA

View Full Version : should i turn my back on cheevos when i 100k

japocbeast
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Heres the deal, i think im a completionist (as much as i can with a family) and i play to finish and if its good enough score whore the game. There's so much satisfaction to 1000g a game especially if its hard (cod 4 airplane level) or time consuming (forza 3) or just brilliant (batman).

Whats killing it for me is that unless your willing to keep the game forever and buy all dlc for games the 100% is getting far more elusive.

If a game is too difficult for me i can choose to throw in the towel, but having the option of completing unless i invest heavily is unfair.
Lets face it dlc for certain games that frankly turn out to be a bit pants is just greed. And likes of dlc coming out a week after launch?! C'mon!

So i think i will change my outlook much like achievements has evolved my way of playing to a more social future of multiplayers and co-ops as well as a good story.

No more score whoring!... Well once i hit 100k... Maybe. :)

Whats every1s views on this?

Lord Goblinboy
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
In the end dude, its all down to you lol

personally i wouldnt, i strive for 100% completion ( or as near as) purely because it proves how good a gamer you are. having a high gamerscore means nothing compared to completion.

that being said i also try and play hard games and never play any easy games (avatar for example) because its worthless to me. i only ever get games i WANT to play

the moral of the story though, is if you didnt go for achievements, how much would you spend on games? i know if i didnt, id be finishing with a game after a week and then having to buy new ones

and i do play games for fun before you mention lol, frequently play gears of war and halo and recently, brotherhood :P

on the topic of dlc, i buy dlc because it prolongs a game i like, for example, the new brotherhood dlc. buying that dlc makes the game last an extra 5-6 hours or so, for 800 points, that seems much more worth it than buying a new game. i admit some dlc's are very overpriced for what they are though

sorry for the essay but really , it depends whether you think you would enjoy games more without the achievements but i know i wouldnt :)

Nozza XBA
03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I go out to get the most from each game and I try and get the best score and the most achievements out of each game. I have a 58% completion rate which I feel is good for someone who has a score over 100K. Though on times I to leave games or certain achievements.

Though ever since I hit 100K in August last year I've slowed down on the whore front (which I said I would)! I've only played the game I like and will really enjoy. As you can tell I've done since Aug 10 7K (GT hasn't updated)!

I've even left games to that I've put in as they're too annoying or time consuming and I feel I'm just wasting my time on them (FN3 and even Madagascar!).

I play a lot more MP games and stuff like when CoD came out I simply played that online and didn't mind about not playing other games and their achievements. But now more good games are coming out, I'm getting back into them and grabbing those point, but these games again are big releases!

Only time I feel at the moment I'll go back to easy games is when x360a launches the new GSL later this year! At the end of the day, its up to you what you do and you may say you're giving up fo a bit but you never know! I didn't think I would but I have and I enjoy it as little more now that I get to play the games I want to play and not have to sit there being forced (in a way) to reach a target! My target was 100k and I've reached it. If I get 200k then I'll be over the moon!

Duizendjes
03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
For me it was the other way around. I was in a GS-battle with a few people and it was all about scoring the most points in a day, and reaching the 100K first. Well, I did (on a former account: hoofdletters). After this, I took a break an started playing 6 months back and strife for 100%. It's more fun now, and can't imagine stopping this for whatever reason. It's hard sometimes, cause I do have a wife and 3 kids, but we all love games and pay a lot together. This way reaching 100% is really fun, kids don't care if you have to play a level 25 times if you die for example...

The only advice I can give you is: do what you think is best. Play some game you like and see if you put them on 100% or not. If not, you ca always go back and see it it feels better when you complete a game on another occasion.

Muhnamana
03-29-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm feeling your pain..hahaha! I think I'm about out of gas when it comes to achievement whoring. I've had my fill and more but its time to move on a bit. I play more and more multiplayer games than ever now. Heck I haven't even started the single player on Black Ops or Modern Warfare 2 for that matter. To me now, its just fun playing the game for what its worth. Maybe its my old age catching up (30 yrs old) or maybe the best part my 3 yrs old daughter is keeping me on my toes.

DragonsGoMOO
03-29-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm feeling your pain..hahaha! I think I'm about out of gas when it comes to achievement whoring. I've had my fill and more but its time to move on a bit. I play more and more multiplayer games than ever now. Heck I haven't even started the single player on Black Ops or Modern Warfare 2 for that matter. To me now, its just fun playing the game for what its worth. Maybe its my old age catching up (30 yrs old) or maybe the best part my 3 yrs old daughter is keeping me on my toes.

I quit for 4 months, but then last week I picked up the controller, dusted it off, and played. Got about close to 1k score since then, but I think I'll be quitting soon again.

I find it hard to play games with kids around, because they always want to play and cry (brothers) and so I usually have to give up.

And the number one reason I quoted this guy is because I love his sig. It's so neat and straight forward. It's not messy. Easy to see the history. It's great.

Chaos MAN
03-29-2011, 02:10 PM
If I were you I would keep going even after 100k gamerscore. If you like earning achievements why stop. If you find it getting boring set yourself a goal like I did. I wanted to be number one in my state for gs ( I am btw ) and I want to stay on top so that motivates into getting more achievements. So If your a completion person why don't you make your goal to be #1 for completed games in your state/country.

DarthSoth
03-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I just cracked the 100K mark last year. For me, my goal with games I play (rent mostly) is to finish the main story of the game and if I like the game shoot for at least 500 of the 1K available. There are certain games that I really go for the full 1k on but for the most part i am just hjappy to get over 50% completion.

Since I've hit the 100k mark my interest in score whoring has dropped off significantly.

Spoony Bard
03-29-2011, 11:17 PM
It waxes and wanes, for me at least. After cracking the elusive 6 digit mark my interest died out and I started focusing on finishing off older games to get my completion rate up. However, I recently surpassed 130k and maybe it's just because 150k is so close but I've started looking around for some more games that I can burn through.

Z3R0 S1X
03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Currently I have a two game at a time subscription to Gamefly and I am sitting at about 66,000 points. Right now I'm planning on whoring until I hit 90,000, dropping the subscription, and just playing stuff I enjoy to get the last 10,000 to cross the 100K mark. That could change between now and the fall when I should hit 90K but I plan to retire from whoring once I get there. It really depends on wether or not you enjoy it enough to continue once you reach your goal.

Rainbow Donut
03-31-2011, 01:33 AM
It depends if you find whoring for achievements annoying dont bother, but if your like me and enjoy it like a hobby keep on going :)

Corrupt.
03-31-2011, 01:46 AM
As I near my 100k I find myself asking the same question. I will probably carry on though, I'm a bit addicted... It is your call, nobody can make it for you.

drugamer
03-31-2011, 06:43 AM
I've been pondering that myself as I'm really really close...I don't know what I'm going to do...Lately I've been trying to fully complete retail games 100% so my completion rating goes up...its like at 70% atm but still It's like...so what now...200k? I mean honestly with that Stallion guy at 600k and hes been going at it for like 4 years? It's crazy...and what about the Next gen! Will it transfer over? I hope it does...

Duizendjes
03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Good question: I don't know if it will carry over on a new machine. I just hope it does. Have bought all region machines myself cause we just love those points overhere. It's kinda like a sport. And feels real good when you get them. :)

My kids don't understand why both my wife and me are getting excited when one pops up, they will learn soon enough I think... :)

FFFreak1129
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
If you have fun trying to get all the achievements, you should try to keep doing it. If not then you should just play the game as much as you want. In the end its all up to you and how you feel about it.

As for me, I try to get as many achievements as I can in my games. I don't have 100% on all of them, but I try to get as close as I can on most of them.

JAW LV
03-31-2011, 07:29 PM
When I hit 100k I am going to stop score whoring and only play games that I will really enjoy. With that said though I will continue on being a completionist... I pretty much have OCD and need to see the game completed before I can move on lol.

japocbeast
04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice peeps. I now have my second child and time is precious so I guess it's excessive spending 25 hours on a game you don't like for a 3rd run, but if it's something like dead space 2 I'd gladly place 2-3 times or a bioshock. The other night I was playing co op with a friend and it was so much fun it made me realise once I hit that 100k I will significantly drop off the whoring because multiplayer is awesome and I'm severely missing out at times.
I'll always love the cheevo pop sound (it's my message tone on my iPhone) and I'll continue to get them but at a slow pace and never plan a game before I start it. Just enjoy it! And my family! And multiplayer!

Vortex XP
04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
My biggest dislike about some games are multiplayer achievements. Like Halo 3...I like my complete score, but I'm not going to suffer through dozens if not hundreds of hours dealing with that kind of community to get it. If you like a game so much that your going for the complete score, wouldn't you want to play the dlc anyway? Games like Fallout, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect are so fun that they can't make enough dlc for it in the first place. I won't complain if they keep upping the score on my favorite games.

dragonpwnr99
04-02-2011, 12:58 AM
well really I am a completionist and will always complete a game to the best of my ability (or attention span). for exampler gears 1, the multiplayer servers are being shutdown (if they havnt already) so i will never fully complete that game, and Bad Company 1 has alot of MP cheeves that I doubt ill ever get unless i want to boost them but the MP servers will probobly shut down knowing EA. Dont even mention Guitar hero which i suck at and my only hope is one of my friends who is really good coming over and playing on my account lol.

But i oly score whore games I enjoy, you can look at my list and there isnt a game on there that are easy games just for the easy score. I enjoy every game on my list except a very few, CoD 3 im looking at you! which I did complete though!

The only one on my list tthat could be called easy is Madden 09 which i have never played myself (cant firgure the dam game out XD) but my friend put in and got 1 damn 15G cheeve so now I have to complete it.

All in all, my view is I score whore on games that I enjoy not easy games like Hanna Montanna (not hating lol). And will keep on doing my best to 100% my games for as long as I play xbox, which hopefully is a long time!

I'll always love the cheevo pop sound (it's my message tone on my iPhone)
How have i never thought of this?!?! LOL

Delboy
04-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Well to be honest, test yourself. Once you get 100K, take a break but if you have an urge to get achievements then go get 'em!

Snowwwwy
04-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I wouldnt. Id keep going.

japocbeast
04-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Hmm, I do enjoy the hunt and rarely play a rubbish easy title I just feel that it's more a habit and I'm missing more valuable mp time or co op when I'm trying to get 1 last achievement. I'll hit the 100k probably in a couple months and I'll see how I feel.
Time for a change and make all cheevos SP!

Kamakazi Pear
04-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't really call you a completionist when you have 49% completion. :/

Personally, I still go for achievements, but I've just reduced the amount of games I buy and rent.
I hit 100k last July, and have gotten nearly 30k GS since. That's still a decent amount, but I spend a lot of my time playing games I enjoy.

I'd say that you should keep going for GS, but don't grind achievements to the point where you aren't having fun anymore.

And as for the whole thing about DLC ruining your completion and meaning you have to hold on to games... Just start using a rental service. That way, if you 100% a game and DLC comes out later on, you can just re-rent the game and recomplete it.

I've been using Lovefilm for a while now and I love it. I buy games which I really want and I know I will go back and play quite alot. Then I rent easy 1k games and games which I think sound good, but not good enough to pay 40 for.
Renting also means you aren't spending all your money on games, so you have money left over to buy other things.

japocbeast
04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Actually in my opinion I am a completionist, highest difficulty getting all pick ups, side missions, all races things like that that say on your stat screen 100% not mainly the achievement percentage. See I guess that's where my point is. My gaming has evolved and I feel a bit done that it can say on my profile I've completed bastard hard games like devil may cry on highest but unless u "grind for 100 hours online" (command and conquer 3) it isnt recognised as completed. Guitar hero 2 and 3 on expert tat takes skill that I doubt alot of ppl on this site bothered with because the cheevos aren't easy or gainable in 10 hours.
So my profile doesn't tell the whole story, I want to go back to my roots of playing for fun and game completion not for cheevo completion and grinding. FFVII is still the greatest 80hrs I've ever repeatedly played. Fun all the way and a proper reward at the end of the grind.Bring back those day for me.

Renting a good idea tho ;)

StayonTarget
04-03-2011, 03:45 AM
If you've gone THAT far. I'd just keep going.

Venomized
04-03-2011, 03:49 AM
In the end dude, its all down to you lol

personally i wouldnt, i strive for 100% completion ( or as near as) purely because it proves how good a gamer you are. having a high gamerscore means nothing compared to completion.

that being said i also try and play hard games and never play any easy games (avatar for example) because its worthless to me. i only ever get games i WANT to play

the moral of the story though, is if you didnt go for achievements, how much would you spend on games? i know if i didnt, id be finishing with a game after a week and then having to buy new ones

and i do play games for fun before you mention lol, frequently play gears of war and halo and recently, brotherhood :P

on the topic of dlc, i buy dlc because it prolongs a game i like, for example, the new brotherhood dlc. buying that dlc makes the game last an extra 5-6 hours or so, for 800 points, that seems much more worth it than buying a new game. i admit some dlc's are very overpriced for what they are though

sorry for the essay but really , it depends whether you think you would enjoy games more without the achievements but i know i wouldnt :)

That's all I read. The bolded part. That isn't even 1% true, let alone 100%. Completion or Gamerscore tells nothing about the players skill.

kall5ter
04-03-2011, 03:52 AM
personally if you have a good social life then don't bother. I love playing xbox and getting achievements but my lack of 'actually caring' has gone down, i'd rather be out with my friends yet i do still find time for a couple of hours to play games, i don't waste my money on games like i used to, they always go towards clothes.
i've played over 150 games and actually only completed 3 retail and 1 arcade.
Play the game because you love it, not because of the achievements. thats pretty sad.

DucknahEireann
04-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I truthfully think some people are more concerned with earning achievements than actual gameplay etc. I know theres alot of satisfaction hearing that cheevo ''pop'' and doing things maybe you wouldnt have done if their was no cheevo but some of them are just too time consuming and frankly piss me off.

Exodus Traps
04-05-2011, 02:36 AM
DucknahEireann is right in some respect. i find myself sometimes passing on a game because I did not like the achievements and then i feel stupid. and just a few years ago before achievements i was still a completionist (Zelda especially) and i didnt have anything to show for it? so these achievements have definitely changed my perspective as there was a time where i completed games for completion's sake and now I do it for a number...but i dont mind!

VonThronstahl
04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I hit 100k in 2 years and was proud. I reached my goal, looked back at all the games and boosting sessions. Then I saw my completion-% and compared it to my friends on xbl. Some friends with less score had a much higher completion-% which looks more impressive to me than a big number.

Now I'm trying to complete the games I bought years ago and never finished. It takes time but I will reach my goal of 75% completion (first goal).

Aceman417
04-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Do whatever you want to do mate. If you get satisfaction out of completing games to 100%, then do it. No-one can really influence your decisions (except for your family), but yourself.

MADxMONK3Y NL
04-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I play a lot of cheap gamerscore games like Avatar, CSI, PoP:TFS etc.
When I hit 100k (almost 80k now), I stop playing those crappy games and only play the games I REALLY want. Uknow?

Then I still go for the 1000Gs.

TriRock
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
No more score whoring!... Well once i hit 100k... Maybe. :)

Whats every1s views on this?

Only at 100k the score whoring starts in earnest!

japocbeast
05-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Really?! See I'm hoping that I'll hit 100k then have a week off and change my gamer tag... Or even...wait for it... Start a new account. I want to have fun with the little time I can get on the xbox and not grind for that sweet sweet blip with points attached.

Maybe I will try even harder after the 100k, I've done alot of soul searching and found my completion ratio is sucky so only time will tell wether I'm a new man after 100k or an even bigger whore to get my ratio and completions up.

900 to go 4/5/11

Mr Bungle
05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Really?! See I'm hoping that I'll hit 100k then have a week off and change my gamer tag... Or even...wait for it... Start a new account. I want to have fun with the little time I can get on the xbox and not grind for that sweet sweet blip with points attached.

Maybe I will try even harder after the 100k, I've done alot of soul searching and found my completion ratio is sucky so only time will tell wether I'm a new man after 100k or an even bigger whore to get my ratio and completions up.

900 to go 4/5/11

All sounds good to me mate.

Good luck on the 1k :)