PDA

View Full Version : playing files off an external hd

Nanbag
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
hi,

so ive been using the same method for several years now to convert mkv files to the compatible mp4 to play on my xbox. however recently my xbox has been throwing up error codes left right an centre when i play files which i know work fine.

im just wondering whether MS have changed something, or whether its cos im testing the converted files on my shitty tv i have on my desk before i move everything to HD tele in the front room.

my friend suggested some larger files 4gb+ wouldnt play on the standard scart lead and therefore not having an hdmi cable connected is giving me the error because the scart lead cant handle the high bitrates. is there any truth in that?

any other ideas thoughts?

Boylin
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Files over 4GB won't work because the FAT32 file system doesn't support them.
Try splitting them, it should work then.

SolusGhost
03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
yeah above poster is completely right- fat32 does not support 4gb+ files.

Nanbag
03-29-2011, 11:13 PM
true but i have a mac formatted hfs+ which does support 4gb+. ive played a 6gb file off it fine before without any probs

Boylin
03-30-2011, 07:17 AM
true but i have a mac formatted hfs+ which does support 4gb+. ive played a 6gb file off it fine before without any probs

That's kind of important information.

It's nothing to do with the SCART lead, only thing I can think of is that you didn't encoded them with a supported profile or have used an unsupported audio codec.

Nanbag
03-30-2011, 11:45 AM
sorry i thought it was implied after i mentioned i had them on the xbox considering FAT32 wont even let you put 4gb+ files on the drive in the first place.

It's nothing to do with the SCART lead, only thing I can think of is that you didn't encoded them with a supported profile or have used an unsupported audio codec.

also cant be the encoding as i have done countless files in exactly the same way and they all work fine :S used an .h264 video feed and AAC LC audio feed which i packed into an mp4 container

ive just split the file now into smaller chunks of 3GB each using Yamb and its all working great. except only the second file plays :S which is odd any ideas as to why the first one refuses to play however the second one works flawlessly?

in regards to the 6gb file maybe the xbox itself wont render anything larger than 4GB?

Boylin
03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
sorry i thought it was implied after i mentioned i had them on the xbox considering FAT32 wont even let you put 4gb+ files on the drive in the first place.

also cant be the encoding as i have done countless files in exactly the same way and they all work fine :S used an .h264 video feed and AAC LC audio feed which i packed into an mp4 container

ive just split the file now into smaller chunks of 3GB each using Yamb and its all working great. except only the second file plays :S which is odd any ideas as to why the first one refuses to play however the second one works flawlessly?

in regards to the 6gb file maybe the xbox itself wont render anything larger than 4GB?

I've played ~12GB files so it's not that.

Maybe there's a problem with the header data in the file, maybe try splitting the video and audio streams and remux them. Other than that I'm out of ideas, sorry.

iCY Se7en
03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I found that plugging my external hdd into the rear usb port on my elite it reads 250gb fine and I can access all my files but it has to be FAT32

Nanbag
03-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I found that plugging my external hdd into the rear usb port on my elite it reads 250gb fine and I can access all my files but it has to be FAT32

how have you managed that, i thought fat32 had a partition size limit of 32GB?

I've played ~12GB files so it's not that.

Maybe there's a problem with the header data in the file, maybe try splitting the video and audio streams and remux them. Other than that I'm out of ideas, sorry.

what programs are you using to demux/remux and do the audio conversion? maybe if i try your method it might work?

Boylin
03-30-2011, 11:25 PM
It's a free program called SUPER
I would post a link but I'm on my phone, pretty easy to find it via Google though

And FAT32 can be much bigger than 32GB but you need a separate program to format it; Windows limits to 32GB to encourage people to use NTFS

Nanbag
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
It's a free program called SUPER
I would post a link but I'm on my phone, pretty easy to find it via Google though

ah right, ive used that before but im not a fan because you lose so much audio/video quality and it takes like half an hour to do 100mb let alone 6gb on the highest setting (running i7 with 4gb RAM so my comp isnt an issue)

iCY Se7en
03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
how have you managed that, i thought fat32 had a partition size limit of 32GB?

what programs are you using to demux/remux and do the audio conversion? maybe if i try your method it might work?

I formatted it on my pc which has windows 7 through my computer it just formatted the full 250gb as FAT32, it gave me the option to so I did it. I also thought that FAT32 was limited to 32gb but I remember years ago I had windows 98 on a 40gb hdd and it worked fine and windows 98 only had FAT16 or 32

Dimensive
03-31-2011, 02:49 PM
I've always kept mine in the WMV VC-1 format, no audio/video bitrate limits that I have found for that codec.

IIx Anxiety xII
03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Can you convert high quality anime eps (720p Mkv) into mp4 & it will still keep the same quality?

Nanbag
03-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Can you convert high quality anime eps (720p Mkv) into mp4 & it will still keep the same quality?

depends on what you are using to encode it.

I've always kept mine in the WMV VC-1 format, no audio/video bitrate limits that I have found for that codec.

which program are you using to encode from mkv/other format or are you simply just ripping a blu ray disc into that format?

as far as i know there is no reason why this file should not work on my xbox, am i missing something? heres a screenshot of the file specs...

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3238/34683548.th.png (http://img851.imageshack.us/i/34683548.png/)

Nanbag
04-01-2011, 12:42 AM
fuck it, i give up, just gonna play it through media centre and hope it doesnt buffer every 10 seconds

Dimensive
04-01-2011, 02:52 AM
I use Microsoft Expression Studio. Now I know for a fact you can stream 720p h264 through Windows 7 and Media Center. If you have a powerful enough computer you might be able to do 1080p, however, it does require using a free program to change the container to .m2ts, which Media Center seems to favor over the MKV container.

Nanbag
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I use Microsoft Expression Studio. Now I know for a fact you can stream 720p h264 through Windows 7 and Media Center. If you have a powerful enough computer you might be able to do 1080p, however, it does require using a free program to change the container to .m2ts, which Media Center seems to favor over the MKV container.

i can confirm that you can indeed stream 1080i/1080p perfectly fine through media centre in an mkv container with a simple registry hack first so that WMC can see the file.

note, i am not responsible for whatever edits you do to your registry, please back up and all that malarky first before you do it.

x64 machines

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="video"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="audio/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="audio"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\MIME Types\video/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
"Extensions.SpaceSep"=".mkv"
"Extensions.CommaSep"="mkv"
"Extension.Key"=".mkv"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\MIME Types\audio/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extensions.SpaceSep"=".mka"
"Extensions.CommaSep"="mka"
"Extension.Key"=".mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Groups\Video\mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Description"="Includes files with .mkv extensions."
"Extensions"=".mkv"
"FriendlyTypeName"="Matroska Media File"
"MIME Types"="video/x-matroska"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Groups\Audio\mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Description"="Includes files with .mka extensions."
"Extensions"=".mka"
"MIME Types"="audio/x-matroska"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"PerceivedType"="video"
"MediaType.Description"="Matroska Media File"
"Extension.Handler"="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.MIME"="video/x-matroska"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Extensions\.mka]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"Extension.MIME"="audio/x-matroska"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Player\Extensions\Descriptions]
"819"="Matroska Media File (*.mkv;*.mka)"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Player\Extensions\MUIDescriptions]
"819"="Matroska Media File"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Player\Extensions\Types]
"819"="*.mkv;*.mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ MLS\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
"mka"="audio"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Multimedia\WMPlayer\MIME Types\video/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.Key"=".mkv"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Multimedia\WMPlayer\MIME Types\audio/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.Key"=".mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Multimedia\WMPlayer\Groups\Video\mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extensions"=".mkv"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Multimedia\WMPlayer\Groups\Audio\mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extensions"=".mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mka]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Descriptions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\MUIDescriptions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Types]
"819"="*.mkv;*.mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ MediaPlayer\MLS\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
"mka"="audio"

x86 machines

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="video"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="audio/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="audio"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\MIME Types\video/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.Key"=".mkv"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\MIME Types\audio/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.Key"=".mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Groups\Video\mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extensions"=".mkv"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Groups\Audio\mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extensions"=".mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\W MPlayer\Extensions\.mka]
"PerceivedType"="audio"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Player\Extensions\Descriptions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Player\Extensions\MUIDescriptions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Player\Extensions\Types]
"819"="*.mkv;*.mka"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ MLS\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
"mka"="audio"

just copy the required code into notepad, change it to "all files" when you have to save it and save it as "xxx.reg" where xxx is anything you want it to be then open the file and it will add the entries into the registry. restart your comp and bobs your uncle, you can now watch mkv files in WMC

again i am not responsible for what you do.