PDA

View Full Version : Online pass :(

hmp bogeet
03-30-2011, 02:54 AM
So it seems as though Warner bros games has decided to begin implementing online passes for their games starting with Mortal Kombat. Not sure how I feel about this but since I was already getting the game it doesn't really sway my purchase but if anyone was planning on renting then I am truly sorry. You can blame EA and Gamestop/Game for bringing these into our lives in the first place.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/67952/source-mortal-kombat-will-feature

BlindxLink
03-30-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm getting mine brand spankin' new. I think this mainly targets pirates. They'll download, burn, and play games online early. If they don't buy the code, they won't be able to play online. Which is good in a way. Bad for the people renting/buying it used.

TheRealBr1ghtShadow
03-30-2011, 03:43 AM
Agreed. I think its actually a good idea. I think Gamestop should sell them though, for people who buy used.

alex1407
03-30-2011, 04:00 AM
Fuck this shit!! I've been a GameFly member for years and now i'm passing out on games i would like to get because of those greedy fucks!!I don't care if there was no achievements linked to online pass, but if i have to buy it to get full 1000 on the game then FUCK THEM !!!!:mad:

M 0 R T I K I A
03-30-2011, 04:09 AM
it will probly be like dead space 2, where you get a 30 day trial, i think that would be fair for the people that rent, rather then buy

alex1407
03-30-2011, 04:16 AM
it will probly be like dead space 2, where you get a 30 day trial, i think that would be fair for the people that rent, rather then buy Dead Space 2 had 2 days trial and no achievements linked to multy player,on the other hand Homefront already requires you to get online pass to max the game same as Need for Speed.There no fair with the developers.

transformer809
03-30-2011, 04:23 AM
that is bad news indeed because i was planing on renting that one.

jswartz0181
03-30-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm getting mine brand spankin' new. I think this mainly targets pirates. They'll download, burn, and play games online early. If they don't buy the code, they won't be able to play online. Which is good in a way. Bad for the people renting/buying it used.
Renting it: you still get 2 days before you have to buy an online pass. Buying used: while it's debatable whether they should or not, the companies don't make any money off used games, and with online passes it means they will (again, whether they should or not is debatable, but still).

But yeah.... anything that targets piracy without causing problems for those who legitimately buy the game (and having to buy a pass to play online is NOT a problem since that only applies to used copies which you get at reduced cost anyway) is a good thing.

Pieville
03-30-2011, 06:21 AM
This is complete bullshit.
Though I suppose all they care about is making money and what better way than to invoke an online pass.

M 0 R T I K I A
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I already had the kollectors edition pain in full since January 10th, so im getting this game no matter what, I will agree it is kinda dumb that companies are doing this just to stop piracy... But if you look at it from the eyes of the people that are stealing the game, they are still going to download it and play it weather it be online or off, for a max price of $10 - $15.00 for the just for online pass apposed to the full retail price of the game ($59.99 - $69.99) ... So pirates still win, plus pirates just made it worse for the rental businesses due to people won't be going there now if they can't play online.

M1 Punk
03-30-2011, 01:11 PM
The online passes don't really bother me because I buy all my games new. But I'm afraid Developers/Publishers will take it a step further by charging you to play every month.

GodsmacKam
03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I can sorta understand why they did this, but what about all those people who cant afford new games, especially with the recession here in the uk i mean things are expensive, im ok with it but people who can only afford pre owned games, thats kinda fucked...coz then they'd have to pay 800 microsoft points on top even though they shouldnt because the guy who returned the game isnt gonna be online anyway...

tobiasdennis
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
The online passes don't really bother me because I buy all my games new.

Yeah same. I have money. Gamestop only sells used games for 5 or 10 bucks cheaper than the new ones anyway. Plus when you buy them new the manual doesn't have cheetos fingerprints all over it or whatever. *shrug*

Plus... the smell of opening a new game for the first time after breaking the seal... ahhh yes...

Annalie
03-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Plus... the smell of opening a new game for the first time after breaking the seal... ahhh yes...

You do that to :o

kyboy
03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
i understand trying to make u pay to play online, but what about the ppl who take there games to friends houses or let friends borrow games? kinda shity.. i already avoid EA games bc of this..

Ceejus
03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
While I don't understand why anyone wouldn't just buy this game brand new (hello??? It's Mortal freaking Kombat), I still don't agree with this whole online passes crap. It's greed, plain and simple. I realize that developers and publishers don't get money on the sale of used games, but why should they have to? It's greed when they are already pulling in a crapload of cash and the only thing they are still worried about is making even more of a profit. When is making a lot of money as it is and having the satisfaction of knowing that your fans are loving your product ever going to be enough? Instead, it's always "money money money!!!". If we are supporting things like this now, then it's only going to get worse from here. And I'm pretty sure the majority of people's paychecks aren't going to go up to accommodate for rising prices, especially video games. Meaning that pretty soon, only the wealthiest people out there are going to be able to play these games rather than everyone as a whole being able to enjoy them.

I know this sounds awfully liberal, but I just don't think money should be that much of a priority if you are already getting tons of it as it is.

crow74
03-30-2011, 07:31 PM
if i buy pre owned i look at it this way a one off payment for an online pass is a lot cheaper than a monthly sub, the only other way around the online pass would be to buy an account with 10-15k msp at really low price like i do.
This is the option alot of pirate's take cheaper one ;)

jswartz0181
03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Gamestop only sells used games for 5 or 10 bucks cheaper than the new ones anyway.
Ahh.... another reason I refuse to shop at Gamestop, in addition to the total unprofessionalism of the local one. Fortunately we have a "local" shop (Nebraska and here in Iowa) that pays you like twice as much as GS for games, sells used for around 50% or less (depending on the game), buys/sells for ANY game system (you can buy Atari and Intellivision games and systems there), and actually cares about its customers. :)

tobiasdennis
03-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Ahh.... another reason I refuse to shop at Gamestop, in addition to the total unprofessionalism of the local one. Fortunately we have a "local" shop (Nebraska and here in Iowa) that pays you like twice as much as GS for games, sells used for around 50% or less (depending on the game), buys/sells for ANY game system (you can buy Atari and Intellivision games and systems there), and actually cares about its customers. :)
Damn I've never even SEEN a place like that. Must be nice, I HATE gamestop.

The Bum-Mobile
03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Doesn't affect me, paid my Gamestop reservation off. God I can't wait for this game...

PrinceOfThralls
03-31-2011, 12:22 AM
I am not even mad. I buy all my games new. I kinda like the idea, it is so rewarding for me. It says:
"You get your games new,you are the man, here is your code, you deserve it! Others don't buy their games properly like a real man should, so there they have it, deal with it!"

This makes me warm and happy inside, especially when I read how angry some kids are about this because they don't buy their games properly. Mostly pirates.

KillerChris8814
03-31-2011, 12:44 AM
To be honest I feel bad for like one half of one percent of people who need an online pass, those are kids who's parents won't buy them a game they want and they have to save up for it and buy it with their own money and get it used so they can get it. For the people who are adults with jobs, and are just being cheap they can piss off if they don't like the online pass. Also I know this isn't a game intended for children I'm referencing online passes in general.

Dz06lt
03-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Good im glad they are doing it too.

M1 Punk
03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah same. I have money. Gamestop only sells used games for 5 or 10 bucks cheaper than the new ones anyway. Plus when you buy them new the manual doesn't have cheetos fingerprints all over it or whatever. *shrug*

Thank god I'm not the only one who loves the smell of a new game...
BTW, I'm just one of those guys who wants everything new to make sure nothing will be broken/damaged etc.

TEBellant
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Doesn't bother me I rarely play games anymore. But I'm buying this game midnight release it's too good to leave alone for even a second. Are they having midnight release everywhere?

alex1407
03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I am not even mad. I buy all my games new. I kinda like the idea, it is so rewarding for me. It says:
"You get your games new,you are the man, here is your code, you deserve it! Others don't buy their games properly like a real man should, so there they have it, deal with it!"

This makes me warm and happy inside, especially when I read how angry some kids are about this because they don't buy their games properly. Mostly pirates. Oh that's what makes a real man,buying a new game?:confused:

Annalie
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh that's what makes a real man,buying a new game?:confused:

Yea pretty much, if your a pirate or like to leach off other people you shouldn't be complaining cause you dont deserve to play online like those of us who bought it new legally.

also i dont think he meant it makes you a real man, when he said "your the man" its just an expression. The only people who should be complaining are those who are renting. even though i find it a little odd that they are not buying in the first place, i mean its MORTAL KOMBAT HELLLLOOOOO!.:Bounce:

alex1407
03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Yea pretty much, if your a pirate or like to leach off other people you shouldn't be complaining cause you dont deserve to play online like those of us who bought it new legally.

also i dont think he meant it makes you a real man, when he said "your the man" its just an expression. The only people who should be complaining are those who are renting. even though i find it a little odd that they are not buying in the first place, i mean its MORTAL KOMBAT HELLLLOOOOO!.:Bounce:Well actually i'm renting games and was not talking about Mortal Kombat alone but about all the games that have this shit now.If you buy the game new and get extra content with it that renters don't that's totally fair,but if i rent the game from well known and legit company and not allowed to even play multyplayer that's total bull shit. Developers becoming more and more greedy and people that saying that's good idea are basically just saying to the developer " if you want to fuck me i will gladly bend over ".

Annalie
03-31-2011, 04:43 PM
" if you want to fuck me i will gladly bend over ".

Well i guess that's what im saying cause i really dont see anything wrong with it. but maybe its because ive never had to buy a game that needed a code for online. either way i still dont see a problem here. you can still rent and play the game, and if you want to play online bad enough you'll buy it.

I like the idea cause it will stop a lot of pirates from playing online.

Edit: actually if The Sims 3 counts, i had a code to access the online store.

alex1407
03-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Well i guess that's what im saying cause i really dont see anything wrong with it. but maybe its because ive never had to buy a game that needed a code for online. either way i still dont see a problem here. you can still rent and play the game, and if you want to play online bad enough you'll buy it.

I like the idea cause it will stop a lot of pirates from playing online.

Edit: actually if The Sims 3 counts, i had a code to access the online store.
When they introduce monthly payment for every body to play online (which they most likely will) would you agree to that as well?

Annalie
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
When they introduce monthly payment for every body to play online (which they most likely will) would you agree to that as well?

No, that's when ill refuse to buy something. but then we can only hope that it wont have to go there. also nobody would agree to that especially when we already pay to much for Xbox live anyways.

alex1407
03-31-2011, 05:37 PM
No, that's when ill refuse to buy something. but then we can only hope that it wont have to go there. also nobody would agree to that especially when we already pay to much for Xbox live anyways. That's what's wrong with the online pass for people who rent and in general. We pay for Xbox live, we pay to renting company and now we have to pay to play multyplayer.

Vulger Spartan
04-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Online pass was Created because of used game sales.
Because when you buy used games the money goes to Gamestop or whatever and not to the Developer/Publishers, who actually made the game. So If you buy the game brand New Your Fine you get online pass for free, if You Buy it used you have to pay 10 bucks to play online for the entire life of the Game.

And the Renter's get Screwed in the Deal. Someone always does...
I rented Smackdown VS Raw 2011 Which also has Online Pass but if you rented it you get an option for a week to try it FREE online. UFC also had this option, So I'm betting MK will too.

it goes by your Gamertag so the same game could be used by multiple people to play online for Free for a week each.

alex1407
04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Online pass was Created because of used game sales.
Because when you buy used games the money goes to Gamestop or whatever and not to the Developer/Publishers, who actually made the game. So If you buy the game brand New Your Fine you get online pass for free, if You Buy it used you have to pay 10 bucks to play online for the entire life of the Game.

And the Renter's get Screwed in the Deal. Someone always does...
I rented Smackdown VS Raw 2011 Which also has Online Pass but if you rented it you get an option for a week to try it FREE online. UFC also had this option, So I'm betting MK will too.

it goes by your Gamertag so the same game could be used by multiple people to play online for Free for a week each. Ok but if you baying used game you getting it from someone who at some point got it new and paid full price for it and developers got their money from that copy.Do i missing something?

tobiasdennis
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Do i missing something?
Yeah, get a job a buy the fucking game. Online pass is FREE. Or stop being a complaining bitch and spit out 10 bucks for the pass. It's 10 dollars... that's one less trip to burger king. Man up, stop crying all the time. Inflation is part of life, and things are only going to get MORE expensive the older you get. GET USED TO IT.

I've never seen someone get so butthurt over $10

Pieville
04-01-2011, 11:04 PM
The way I see it, it doesn't really cost anything.
Most pre-owned games are like $20+ cheaper than a brand new one so instead of getting it $20 cheaper, you get it $10 cheaper.

alex1407
04-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah, get a job a buy the fucking game. Online pass is FREE. Or stop being a complaining bitch and spit out 10 bucks for the pass. It's 10 dollars... that's one less trip to burger king. Man up, stop crying all the time. Inflation is part of life, and things are only going to get MORE expensive the older you get. GET USED TO IT.

I've never seen someone get so butthurt over $10 I have a job and i also have family to feed,it's not about 10$ it about companys that's fucking you and bitches like you taking it. Don't lecture me about life as i'm sure i know about it more than you do. If you don't like me "crying" troll somewhere else dickhead.

BlindxLink
04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a job and i also have family to feed,it's not about 10$ it about companys that's fucking you and bitches like you taking it. Don't lecture me about life as i'm sure i know about it more than you do. If you don't like me "crying" troll somewhere else dickhead.

I sure hope your kids go to school. It looks like you didn't.

He's not trolling. He has a good point. I also have a family and bills to pay, but I can fart out 10 dollars for an online pass. Shit, I'm buying the kollectors edition for 100 dollars. I don't know where you work, but if you can't afford to buy a video game once every couple months, maybe you should find a new job.

alex1407
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I sure hope your kids go to school. It looks like you didn't.

He's not trolling. He has a good point. I also have a family and bills to pay, but I can fart out 10 dollars for an online pass. Shit, I'm buying the kollectors edition for 100 dollars. I don't know where you work, but if you can't afford to buy a video game once every couple months, maybe you should find a new job. It looks to me as you didn't go to school as i clearly said it's NOT ABOUT 10 fucking dollars. Are you both just to stupid to understand what i'm saying? It's not about this game in particular,it's about whole idea behind online pass. I'm buying DLC's all the time but paying for something that should be included with the game no matter new,used or rented is just retarded.

Annalie
04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
It looks to me as you didn't go to school as i clearly said it's NOT ABOUT 10 fucking dollars. Are you both just to stupid to understand what i'm saying? It's not about this game in particular,it's about whole idea behind online pass. I'm buying DLC's all the time but paying for something that should be included with the game no matter new,used or rented is just retarded.

Jeez, its already included if you buy the game, they are doing it to stop piracy and for a few other reasons. are you a pirate? why is a simple thing like this aggravating you?:confused: It looks like you dont get it.

Vulger Spartan
04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok but if you baying used game you getting it from someone who at some point got it new and paid full price for it and developers got their money from that copy.Do i missing something?

the Company got their money for for that single copy. The Company that made the game isn't in it to sell one copy that the entire population just passes around for 75% off the price of a NEW one. That's what a Used Game from GameStop is.

Same Goes for the Piracy issue. A Guy Buys the Game then Makes his Copy Available to be 'cloned' by Hundred or Thousands of People.

So If You Buy Used or Pirated the game, You'll Have to pay to play online.
It's Not gonna Change, in fact it will probably get worse if the economy gets worse.

EXAMPLE: If you use an ATM that isn't from your bank you'll have to pay a $5 service Charge.

In many cases DLC is a way for the Developer to cut down on The Time it takes to make a game & make the publishers set deadline, also room on the disc is a factor in DLC, if there is not enough room on disc, the graphics will have to suffer so they can fit more in. Good Example is 'Fire Pro Wrestling', it has like SNES Graphics but more Characters, Match-types, Maneuvers, etc than anything with graphics in todays standards.

xXmyxxmastaXx
04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
it also comes with FREE DLC folks!

ALPHASHADOW 425
04-05-2011, 05:29 AM
I don't have a problem with the online pass me and a friend trade games from time to time and if I have to shell out $10 dollars to enjoy a multiplayer so be it. Also tobiasdennis that pic is weird its like she's crying chocolate milk LOL.

Tweekem
04-05-2011, 11:57 PM
You guys all know this online passs is because GameStop right? They refused to kick back any profit from used game sales so the devolopers were trying to figure out a way to recoup.. then the online pass was born. I worked for the company for 4 years and know a few of the bigger players in the company so my info is legit. GS is more of a tyrant for game companies IMO.. plus they really work their managers to the bone for a meager wage. I now preorder thru online retailers (MK is thru a canadian store because they have a metal case edition) and other retailers... which I find have better "exclusives" for preordering.

TerreBullet
04-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Online pass isn't aimed towards pirates, infact arcades, dlc's and even online passes are pirated

Vulger Spartan
04-06-2011, 03:30 AM
You guys all know this online passs is because GameStop right? They refused to kick back any profit from used game sales so the devolopers were trying to figure out a way to recoup.. then the online pass was born.

That's what I was trying say about used games at GameStop but you put into words in a better to-the-point way.

KyKy
04-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm not too bothered as I'm buying this new. If I want a game a lot I will always buy it new. I have got quite a few pre-owned games in my collection though. I don't tend to play alot of games online, pretty much only Fifa that springs to mind and a little bit of MW2. EA introduced this to stop people buying the likes of Fifa etc and playing online from buying the game pre-owned. It sucks in the way that it is going to kill the pre-owned market gradually, but from a Publisher's perspective I can understand why. I am not saying I agree or like it, but they are going to want to get as much profit from their product as possible and just think how many people buy and trade in Fifa games! If they can get an extra 5 from each pre-owned game then they are going to take it.

Hutchy27
04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Damn it!
I'm going to wait for it to go down in price and then buy the kollecter's edition, I think the extra are cool. I like to draw, so the art book will be useful.

Ayx
04-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I already had the kollectors edition pain in full since January 10th, so im getting this game no matter what, I will agree it is kinda dumb that companies are doing this just to stop piracy... But if you look at it from the eyes of the people that are stealing the game, they are still going to download it and play it weather it be online or off, for a max price of $10 - $15.00 for the just for online pass apposed to the full retail price of the game ($59.99 - $69.99) ... So pirates still win, plus pirates just made it worse for the rental businesses due to people won't be going there now if they can't play online.Pirates still win, but the Developers don't lose. KNOWING they're always around might as well get 10 bucks over nothing right? Plus I could understand not purchasing for say WWE SDvsRAW's Online Axxess since Online Play isn't really needed but for MK? MK breathes off the Online Community and they know it. Nothing but smart by these people.

Also, usually the 'Used Game' version of new games is like $50 instead of $60 so it pretty much just cancels out. Purchase the game New and you're set with that satisfaction that you purchased the game New and helps Midway and the others to ensure that the franchise can live on.

See, what I can think people will do as a marketing stradegy in the future is that if they KNOW people refuse to purchase the Online Pass for some hyped games? (Probably future FPS since Homefront's OP was pretty successful.) People might say: "Hey, the game isn't super tight but at least I don't have to pay that $10 for the Online Pass! LOL"

You'd be surprised how much people orgasm over saving $10.

Manc_Man
04-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Online passes only deter renters from renting, they do not stop pirates from pirating.

crow74
04-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Should make every game have an online pass if people want the game that much they will not mind paying for it, its just the pirates and the hackers than mainly cry about it as they gotta pay for some thing for a change.
CHEAP WANKERS

ShaolinShadow
04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
It's official xbox live has posted up an online pass for the game, Im really disappointed that they did this for the fact that people who rent the game will not be able to experience the online unless they fork over the cash for the pass, I think this game should be left alone with the pass like SSFIV and everyone should be able to enjoy the multiplayer

The Pants Party
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
All Online Pass games get a free 7-day trial. No one who rents the game will be affected unless they rent it twice or keep it late, and if they've done either of those they should have bought it in the first place.

ShaolinShadow
04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
All Online Pass games get a free 7-day trial. No one who rents the game will be affected unless they rent it twice or keep it late, and if they've done either of those they should have bought it in the first place.

Yeah but still in my opinion Mortal kombat should be left alone with the online pass, Im making this a purchase so im not worried but I guess since they put an online pass on one of the greatest fighting games it minus well be this one, Some games ain't even worth the online pass like homefront that garbage does not deserve one....

dang racoons
04-14-2011, 05:05 PM
There was already a thread stating that there would be an online pass on the second page of this forum. And as pants said your likely to get a trial for a certain amount of days in which you can get the online achievements.

ShaolinShadow
04-14-2011, 05:21 PM
There was already a thread stating that there would be an online pass on the second page of this forum. And as pants said your likely to get a trial for a certain amount of days in which you can get the online achievements.

See though if they put a 7 day trial and get there achievements done then basically that person really doesnt need the pass after that, I know a few people who do that If the companies were smart they make it so you can play for those 7 days but you will not be able to gain the achievements, I understand that fact that its to stop piracy and all that but if your gonna do it do it right because if the piracy gamers can use the 7 day trial

Drucifer82
04-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Damn it!
I'm going to wait for it to go down in price and then buy the kollecter's edition, I think the extra are cool. I like to draw, so the art book will be useful.

If you're waiting until after release for the price to drop, the Kollector's Edition is going to be long gone. The only option then would be to search ebay or somewhere similar and even then you may end up paying more than if you reserve it while you still can.

Shinobi273
04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Threads were merged, thanks for noticing. Now, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

PervySage53595
04-18-2011, 03:19 AM
So does anyone know how that "War on Piracy" is going? Has every Jtag been removed thanks to the All-Powerful Online Pass? You see what I think is messed up about all of this is that the retailers are already paying for the game, so wouldn't that mean that the developers have gotten paid? If that is the case then wouldn't the retailers be the ones who stand to lose money from used game sales? Doesn't matter what it is, if it's being sold at a store that product was paid for by someone, otherwise how do you explain them having said product in the first place. If Wal-Mart orders 2000 units for one store, then 2000 units have been paid for. When you as a consumer pay for something you arent paying the company directly are you? I can't remember the last time I paid a developer for any of the titles I own. Which brings me to another thing that bugs me, if you buy a used HDtv do you have to pay Sony for HD quality, if you buy a used car do you have to pay Ford for reverse?

artphobia
04-18-2011, 03:31 AM
As less to do with JUST pirates and more to do with second hand market as a whole. Rental and resell doesn't feed into the coffers of the retail sales and profitability of a game. Seems only a matter of time till a majority of games are download purchase only anyways. Especially with the video game systems becoming stronger as multi-use household machines.

Hanzo Zer0
04-18-2011, 03:36 AM
confused....

TilVl
04-18-2011, 03:38 AM
I agree. I buy new/used. If I can get the game used and save 5 to 10 bucks, i'm happy. That's already 5 to 10 bucks towards my next game. Plus GameStop used policy awesome, if i'm unsure of a game I can return it with-in 7 days.

Companies are greedy. Look at street fighter. I bought the Collectors of that, then they have Super Street Fighter IV then in June Super Street Fighter IV Arcade editon is coming out. That's robbery. Why not make DLC or include it the first time. Obviously there is more then enough disc space.

Online pass is stupid the game has been paid for already.

To be honest it's not like it matters to me, my biggest issue is for example.

I am buying MK Kollectors I feel if I use the Online pass it devalues my Kollectors cause it is now incomplete.

JaxTH
04-18-2011, 03:43 AM
SSFIV: AE is DLC.

TilVl
04-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Not sure cause I pre-ordered it today at gamestop for 39.99 and also pre-ordered Street Fighter x Tekken.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/super-street-fighter-iv-arcade-edition/90836

artphobia
04-18-2011, 03:51 AM
The amount of player's self-entitlement is starting to stink. I love capitalism. They got it, you want it; they sell it, you buy it.

Vectorman953
04-18-2011, 03:55 AM
The only thing I am hearing from this entire thread is
" meh meh meh I don't want to spend ten dollars because..."
And
" meh meh meh what are you poor or a pirate? The companies deserve it"

I'm buying the game new, I presume most people on this forum would be, since the game theoretically shouldn't have any used copies yet (hahah)
We know there will be some sort of renters trial period, because we've seen it before and that would be downright retarded marketing with a large backlash if there wasn't.

Maybe I just don't understand what the big ordeal is.
Why does it matter where the money goes to you NOW if it didn't before?

sm182
04-18-2011, 04:56 AM

I think it's been reduced to only a 2 day trial.

KillerChris8814
04-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Not sure cause I pre-ordered it today at gamestop for 39.99 and also pre-ordered Street Fighter x Tekken.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/super-street-fighter-iv-arcade-edition/90836

If you have SSF4 you can get Arcade Edition as dlc or if you don't have it you can buy it on disc.

Pollux42
04-18-2011, 04:59 AM
3 things:
Publishers release games with online code so that when someone buys that product used, they see some cash. They don't like the fact that their product is redistributed without them seeing a dime. Publishers get money out of a new purchase but gamestop gets all of your money for a used purchase. The publisher sees none of that. Same thing with rentals.

So what do they do? Create a way for the used and rental consumer to spend some real dough.

Finally, I support this line of thinking. You guys remember midway games? Developed lots of mk games you've loved over the years. Where are they? Dissolved, that's where. Without the publishing of Warner bros...this may not have happened. So spend the money and shut up.

TilVl
04-18-2011, 05:45 AM
No, midway went away due to all the MK games. There were to many and they sucked.

MK1 to Ultimate MK3 where good. After that it was 34754375 fighting styles, 3d fighting. Games were awful, Hey MK Vs DC Universe. Terrible.

TAI JASON
04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
First: Ita 2 day trial, no 7 day.

Second: I play this game online these weekend (after the great online pass chaos in europe, thanks WB) i meet up a gamer with a flashed Xbox playing MK online!!! Having the Gears Beta before release and playing online!!! and have nearly every game!!!

Third: Its useless! Pirates have there ways and after i see this i dont know why we got this bullshit. The normal player must pay for the fantasy of a stupid company.

The only reason for an online pass is the used game market. Nothing else, no pirates, no hackers, no glitchers. If we buy such a game on Ebay or something else we must buy a new online pass for 800 MS points so the company make more money! Great! Thanks folks!

You will see, next generation we have the same amount of codes, controlls and passwords like the PC gamer...what was the great point for consoles?....ah yes: WE DON`T HAVE SUCH SHIT!

danksch
04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
if i buy pre owned i look at it this way a one off payment for an online pass is a lot cheaper than a monthly sub, the only other way around the online pass would be to buy an account with 10-15k msp at really low price like i do.
This is the option alot of pirate's take cheaper one ;)

the pass isnt shareable, only works for the gamertag that downloaded it (unlike dlc).

danksch
04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
3 things:
Publishers release games with online code so that when someone buys that product used, they see some cash. They don't like the fact that their product is redistributed without them seeing a dime. Publishers get money out of a new purchase but gamestop gets all of your money for a used purchase. The publisher sees none of that. Same thing with rentals.

So what do they do? Create a way for the used and rental consumer to spend some real dough.

Finally, I support this line of thinking. You guys remember midway games? Developed lots of mk games you've loved over the years. Where are they? Dissolved, that's where. Without the publishing of Warner bros...this may not have happened. So spend the money and shut up.

That's too one-sided. What about the retailers? Believe or not, a bunch of income depends on the dealing with used games.
Thus, with the popular introduction of online passes and the decrease of value of used games, they lose a vital source of steady income.

yakuzzaa
04-18-2011, 11:30 AM
the pass isnt shareable, only works for the gamertag that downloaded it (unlike dlc).

wft u are talkin about ?!
every account on that box can play online with 1 !!!!! KombatCode !

judge08
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
online pass is good and bad, good for developers makin money and keeping pirates at bay, bad for people who rent or gamefly, i feel bad for those people who dont buy the game. Also as someone already said i can totally see them charging every month to play when we already pay for live why dont they screw us some more.

Shinobi273
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I am buying MK Kollectors I feel if I use the Online pass it devalues my Kollectors cause it is now incomplete.

Opening it also devalues it. Just buy another regular copy.

If you aren't going to split hairs about devaluing your property, spend the $10 on the marketplace. Your collectors edition will still have a valid code.

Pyrochaos
04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
The only people who bitch about online passes are people who:

A. Buy used.
B. Rent/borrow
C. Pirate.

All of these are hurting the gaming industry equally.

You don't HAVE to have the game day 1. Prices drop pretty dramatically, and there are almost always sales.

Trdis Trvler
04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
My Rant
While all have very good points, aren't we missing something? PS3 owners DO NOT HAVE TO PAY EXTRA TO PLAY ONLINE!!! :mad: To me that's the only shitty thing about it. Don't get me wrong, I own both and am I'm no fanboy of either system, I do prefer to play on the 360 more because of achievements, don't really like Sony's Trophie system. If this was to stop piracy, and it could be, why wouldn't ALL systems have to pay $10 to play online? :confused: I mean, the PS3 has been hacked for a while now. Now having said that, I haven't looked on the PSN lately to see if they are charging for EA and other titles but I don't think they are. I'm getting this one used and yes I'm going to shell out the 800 MSP for online not just for the cheeves but also to play against others. When this whole thing started, the paying $10 extra I mean, I saw this as nothing more that companies saying... "Hmmm, how can we shove this 6 ft. 2x4 w/ a rotting boar strapped to it up the gamers anus' and have them thank us for it??? I mean, sure they'll complain but what are they going to do..." "Laughter from the board room" We as 360 owners already pay $60 a year for the "privlige" to play online. Yes, I am more that aware of PS3's server issues from time to time. But Jesus, enough w/ the goudging my wallet can't take much more...

TAI JASON
04-19-2011, 08:57 AM
My Rant

While all have very good points, aren't we missing something? PS3 owners DO NOT HAVE TO PAY EXTRA TO PLAY ONLINE!!! :mad: To me that's the only shitty thing about it. Don't get me wrong, I own both and am I'm no fanboy of either system, I do prefer to play on the 360 more because of achievements, don't really like Sony's Trophie system. If this was to stop piracy, and it could be, why wouldn't ALL systems have to pay $10 to play online? :confused: I mean, the PS3 has been hacked for a while now. Now having said that, I haven't looked on the PSN lately to see if they are charging for EA and other titles but I don't think they are. I'm getting this one used and yes I'm going to shell out the 800 MSP for online not just for the cheeves but also to play against others. When this whole thing started, the paying $10 extra I mean, I saw this as nothing more that companies saying... "Hmmm, how can we shove this 6 ft. 2x4 w/ a rotting boar strapped to it up the gamers anus' and have them thank us for it??? I mean, sure they'll complain but what are they going to do..." "Laughter from the board room" We as 360 owners already pay $60 a year for the "privlige" to play online. Yes, I am more that aware of PS3's server issues from time to time. But Jesus, enough w/ the goudging my wallet can't take much more...

Last sentence make me laugh :D i can see them around the table, laughing about us stupid gamers, drinking champaign and eating lobster :D

But that we pay $60 to play online has a reason. The marketplace is a universe better then the PS3 marketplace, all things like friendlists, groupchat, social network, invites, downloads, Xbl Arcade, Indie games, demos, videos, rating system, gamercard, avatars and so on. We got a great place for everything. That costs money for servers, updates, controlls. We have hackers too, but not so many like the PS3 guys. By the way, nearly all downloads like map packs or add ons are much more expensive on the PS3 marketplace AND we can play every game online without registration or other stupid things.

The online passcode is not an Mircosoft decission! I repeat! Get angry and send the publisher a mail! Thats the best way.

crow74
04-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Not true online pass works with the console ID not the profile, Ive only come across 1 game so far that use's profile ID for every dlc brought and thats Fight night champion EA just robbing more an more money out of are pockets ;)

psymatiq
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
well xbl works like crap... lags like hell i managed to get 3 wins in a row so far but god damn... sometimes the schreen just stands still and the input lag is close to 2 seconds... its retarded bad.

DamagedWill
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Being a Gamestop employee, I personally apologize for the "unprofessional" attitude you may have gotten. It kinda sucks to hear that so many people have bad experiences with Gamestop, mainly the employees. Everyone I work with is incredibly courteous and helpful and I wish more stores would try a little harder to connect with their customers.

I was hoping Online Passes would fade away but they are starting to crop up more and more.

I do appreciate Gamestop lowering the prices of used games if they require an online pass though.

Pollux42
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Being a Gamestop employee, I personally apologize for the "unprofessional" attitude you may have gotten. It kinda sucks to hear that so many people have bad experiences with Gamestop, mainly the employees. Everyone I work with is incredibly courteous and helpful and I wish more stores would try a little harder to connect with their customers.

I was hoping Online Passes would fade away but they are starting to crop up more and more.

I do appreciate Gamestop lowering the prices of used games if they require an online pass though.

I managed 4 stores in 3 years for that company. Customers are treated poorly because the talent is treated poorly. It's tough for someone to put on good face when you are being put through the ringer both financially and overbearing work load.

They skimp on payroll to save on profit margin. How does gamestop continue to succeed? At the cost of it's people's health and well being. And it takes a toll on the people who take all those trades.

So yes, I feel bad if you've had a bad experience at gamestop. But please consider what life on the other side of that counter is like before you give gamestop workers a hard time.

Sometimes people are rude and that shouldn't be acceptable for an employee or customer.

BBowles
04-20-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't mind the online pass codes honestly. First off, I buy most of my games new. If I didn't buy it new, I won't buy it until it hits the $20 mark usually. If I buy a game at 1/3 the price, I have no problems giving a couple dollars to the company that made the game if I wish to play it online.

I understand that renters get upset over this because they started renting games to save money, or allow them to play a larger selection of games. But with rental prices being as cheap as they are nowadays, more and more people are shifting that way. Each person that rents a game is another potential sale out the window.

Renting is the same thing as buying games used, only you don't get to keep the game. 10 renters hurt a companies sales just as much as 10 people buying used copies of a game. I have no problem with renting or buying used personally, but it makes financial sense to produce online codes with the sheer amount of rentals/used games being bought.

Imagine you created a game. You created 500 copies of it to sell to your classmates. You sell 5, but everyone in the school has played your game and is congratulating you on the job you did. The love and admiration of your game is great and all, but there's no way you can keep making games when you only sold 5 copies -_- You could create one of the highest rated games ever. But if half the people who play the game get it used/rented, you're probably not getting money from the publisher to make a sequel/new game because the profit isn't worth the time.

And to the guy who was crying through 2 pages about his $10, it's real simple. Yes, the company got it's $60 from the initial purchase. But the fact that you rented/bought it used means that they did NOT get the $60 from you. You gave them NOTHING. That's great, FOR YOU. But it's terrible business.

It's the same thing as taking 10 people to an all-you-can-eat buffet, and only paying for 1 person to eat and sharing food off their plate. It will put the company out of business if too many people do it.

Edit:As far as Gamestop goes, I love it. The people in my area are great to deal with and know what they're talking about. I buy most of my games new, but I'll occasionally pick up a game that I didn't feel would be worth full price to me used. I also trade games in. Yes, I realize how much money they make off of traded games. There's a reason I wait for deals like the the +25% trade-in towards Mortal Kombat. Between my powerup card and the bonus 25%, it's worth trading the games in over ebaying them. Sure, I'm losing out on a few dollars overall, but I don't have to hassle with the entire auction/shipping process. And I'd rather lose a little money to save time.

ShaolinShadow
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I managed 4 stores in 3 years for that company. Customers are treated poorly because the talent is treated poorly. It's tough for someone to put on good face when you are being put through the ringer both financially and overbearing work load.

They skimp on payroll to save on profit margin. How does gamestop continue to succeed? At the cost of it's people's health and well being. And it takes a toll on the people who take all those trades.

So yes, I feel bad if you've had a bad experience at gamestop. But please consider what life on the other side of that counter is like before you give gamestop workers a hard time.

Sometimes people are rude and that shouldn't be acceptable for an employee or customer.

Your being paid to provide a pleasant service weather you got shit faced customers or not, I'm sorry but the issues with the store is not the consumers problems, Why should we continue a purchase if you provide a terrible service?, I have 4 gamestops in my area and I only goto one because the other two are terrible plus I always! Get taken care of and get the pre order codes even if I don't pre order the game or if I just want the codes because I rented the game, Why because that gamestop know how much i go there and they even said to me directly to one of there new employees this is a vip customer what he wants or ask for you give it to him, So me personally I have no issues but I'm just stating your being paid to provide a service weather you got in yo face consumers or not

Pollux42
04-20-2011, 04:07 PM
You just made my argument for me. I just don't think you realize it. I said the issue is the company.

And like I said, you should be pleasant if you are either a customer or employee. It's called being a decent human being.

itzrobert
04-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks to this you cant rent or buy an used game