PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever played ANY Tw courses?

ajennice
03-31-2011, 05:10 AM
Just curious.
So far i have played
Bethpage black - just a 9 hr drive , 6 hr round of golf and a 9 hr drive back home
Doral -through current job
Bay Hill -through current job
and TPC at Sawgrass (used to be a manager at the Marriott there.. 20.00 per round....LOL).
-- If muirfield (ohio) was on there i could count that as well-

I have a friend who has played
Pebble ( in the 70's when it was 25.00 to walk)
Torrey
Spyglass
(his bro works in SD for a division on Sony medical so he's got some pull in the calif courses)

NJAM14Titleist
03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I haven't but I live within an hour of Oakmont. Can't wait for 2016.

ajennice
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
sweet! The ryder cup is definately worth getting passes for. I went to the one at Valhalla (louisville, Ky) last time we held it. Well worth the time/cash.

I've got a few friends wanting to do a run to Whistling straits and play the Straits course and then try Cog Hill (chicago area) on the way back, but I don't see dropping $380 to play W.S. Bethpage was only 100.00 and at the time more prestigeous.

kentb79
03-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Played Whistling Straights and Black Wolf Run. They're about 5 miles apart and close to family. Friend of a cousin works at Black Wolf, got us on free. Only thing that sucks is we kept getting pushed back on our tee time for actual paying people and only had 3 hours of daylight. Got 14 holes in and never got to finish. Amazing courses though. Whistling kicked my ass. I'm a 8 handicap and couldn't break 90 under the easiest conditions ever seen on that course. Lol.

ajennice
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
LOLl i feel ya. wen we played Bethpage , we did it from the tour tees.. Nothing like crushing one down the middle and then thinking about hitting a 3 wood tot he green....on a par 4!!!!!
Walking up to a 250 yard par 3 with sand inteh front and wondering if missing the entire gree to either side and trying to salvage par is safer than going at the green...

xRaW CaRNage x
03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
No but I live ten minutes away from firestone. I've been by it a lot. Looks like a nice course.

ryanboals
03-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I played TPC at Sawgrass, Doral, Pinehurst No. 2, Harbour Town, Bay Hill, and if you mean PGA tour courses I have played Magnolia and Palm at Disney, I shot 2-under 70 at Magnolia when I used to play golf for high school and I was supposed to play Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach but my trip got screwed up on that.

ApRt406
03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I've played Sawgrass, St Andrews, and Oakmont. Friend of mine is a member and we got a group of friends to play. Guests can only play with members so knowing someone is the only way to get on. Course is ridiculously impossible. I played in college and I had one of the best ball striking rounds of my life and shot 80. Golf on these courses is 100x easier on Tiger than in real life.

kentb79
03-31-2011, 09:50 PM
LOLl i feel ya. wen we played Bethpage , we did it from the tour tees.. Nothing like crushing one down the middle and then thinking about hitting a 3 wood tot he green....on a par 4!!!!!
Walking up to a 250 yard par 3 with sand inteh front and wondering if missing the entire gree to either side and trying to salvage par is safer than going at the green...

I would absolutely love to play Bethpage, even though it would probably crush my will to live. At least there I don't think I'd lose as many balls. At Whistling Straights if you miss a fairway, forget it. You're not going to find your ball.

I think the 5th at Black Wolf is one of my favorite holes I've ever played though. Attached my pic from the tee box. The pic doesn't do it justice how much elevation is really there from tee to fairway.

file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/kbenson/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/kbenson/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

NJAM14Titleist
03-31-2011, 11:45 PM
sweet! The ryder cup is definately worth getting passes for. I went to the one at Valhalla (louisville, Ky) last time we held it. Well worth the time/cash.

I've got a few friends wanting to do a run to Whistling straits and play the Straits course and then try Cog Hill (chicago area) on the way back, but I don't see dropping $380 to play W.S. Bethpage was only 100.00 and at the time more prestigeous.

Sounds very nice.

ajennice
04-01-2011, 06:01 AM
I would absolutely love to play Bethpage, even though it would probably crush my will to live. At least there I don't think I'd lose as many balls. At Whistling Straights if you miss a fairway, forget it. You're not going to find your ball.

I think the 5th at Black Wolf is one of my favorite holes I've ever played though. Attached my pic from the tee box. The pic doesn't do it justice how much elevation is really there from tee to fairway.

file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/kbenson/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/kbenson/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

Bethpage isn't what it looks like on TV.. The thatch is always cut except for PGA events and the 1st/2nd cut is average.. the 3rd cut (real rough) is heavy... You won't lose many balls there.

I miss the ability to play as much as I did. I'm not good by any standards, not a pro, ex-pro, or even just a touch off of being a pro.. I stink, but I love to just play.
I've gotten to play alot of NICE courses through my work ( not directly, but just keeping my ears open and dropping hints).
As for the guy who played pebble, we were supposed to go there3 yrs ago and stay at eh lodge and play pebble, spyglass, Spanish harbor(or something like that) then go do the couses at torry... then the economy went flat and everyone was money scared.
I'll make it out there. I know I may have some work onthe SD Naval base inteh fall, so I'll definately be in the area...
If Whistling straits comes off it's 300+ per round price, I'll be moving that up my list. I just can't see paying that for a "newer" course.. Pebble.. yes.. agusta.. yes... WS.. no...150 MAYBE...

ajennice
04-01-2011, 06:09 AM
Also if you ever do go to Bethpage... get a rental and make it a week stay.. The pethpage park has 4-5 courses ( all colors) and they all look sweet.
Also don'tlisten toteh BS about getting in line early. We got there at 2am (drove from Columbus Ohio straight thru) and was 2nd car in line. got a few hrs of sleep and about 530 a guy came around asking how many players and WHICH course... to my suprise out of the 30 or so cars there by then, only a few said black.. We got the 820 time ( and finished about 430) and had time to eat and relax before teeing off.
This was a sept Sat morning.. I do not know about other times of the year, but the weather was terrific.. it's a 5.6 mile walk IF you play straigh from tee to green... some walks from the greens to next tee were over 300 yards easily... And it's an out and back course... hole 9 ends inthe middle of no where... just a small half way house...
If it looks like rain... don't chance it..LOL
I would highly recommend to any golfer to try to play a round there.. It's public, well taken care of and worth the hype and cost.
It's funny tho.. when you tee off, you have everyone that is waiting to play the other courses on the balcony watching you.... You swing a few and address the ball, look back, see about 150 peple watching YOU, and think.." I hope to hell I don't whiff it", Your butthole puckers and your knuckles get white...It's funny!