PDA

View Full Version : Transfering data to new hard drive

njdevils17
04-01-2011, 07:11 AM
I apologize if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted when I did a search.

Anyway, I have a 20 GB hard drive and I want to upgrade to a 120 GB refurbished one from Gamestop. The problem is that I don't know how to transfer the data from the 20 GB to the 120 GB as Gamestop told me they don't sell transfer cables.

Here's my question. I know you can put data onto a flash drive. Can I transfer my saved data, XBLA games, profile, gamerpics, etc. on to the flash drive from my 20 GB HD and then put them on my 120 GB HD? And if so, what's the biggest flash drive I can use.

Thanks

McGoogles
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
I think the memory card with the maximum amount of storage is 16 GB. I believe it's also possible to transfer all of your data and such manually into your new hard drive, but it would take an insane amount of time.

Transfer cable is the way to go.

KillerChris8814
04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Not sure about the flash drive but you can order a transfer cabel pretty cheap, also good name.

xGINCATx
04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
You can use a flash drive up to 16gb, you can use bigger but the xbox will only recognise 16gb of space on it. And you can transfer everything, apart from installed games.

A quick way to do it using a flash drive is to get it all set up for the xbox and then go to memory and either where it shows you all the memory options (Harddrive's/memory units) or actually after clicking on the harddrive there will be an option to press Y and that should transfer content, just select what you want to transfer (i think it all is selected as default anyway) and click start.

It might take a while depending on the flashdrive though..

Then once it's on the flash drive, turn your 360 off and switch harddrives and transfer everything back onto the new harddrive.. Job done

ADarkBard
04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I just used a 16GB thumb drive I had handy. It worked like a charm, but took a little time as our 20GB drive was packed.

njdevils17
04-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to give this a try in May when I come home for the summer.

I figure, what's the point of spending money on a cable I'll probably only use once when I can get a giant flash drive for around the same price and use it multiple times.