PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know-- Does MS do this to catch cheaters?

P1TTMAN
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
For the hell of it, and because I like reporting people, I was browsing the se7ensins forums... pages of people putting out their gamertags for infection lobbies, boosting lobbies, mods, and so on.

It's gotta be a real easy spot for MS to just take all those gamertags and start banning right and left... right?

I would have asked this question directly to the Xbox.com forums, but-- ha!-- I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even get a reply.

iBlessing 09
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
They do ban them, then they make new accounts.

StillTIPPIN187
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Im sure it helps them decide if that tag should be bannable.. But no one uses a tag they care about when they host lobbies ect..

P1TTMAN
04-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Im sure it helps them decide if that tag should be bannable.. But no one uses a tag they care about when they host lobbies ect..

That's what I would have thought, but one of the last guys who sent me an ad on Black Ops had over 18k gamerscore.

I just told him to enjoy his account while he could. :D

Venomized
04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
For the hell of it, and because I like reporting people, I was browsing the se7ensins forums... pages of people putting out their gamertags for infection lobbies, boosting lobbies, mods, and so on.

It's gotta be a real easy spot for MS to just take all those gamertags and start banning right and left... right?

I would have asked this question directly to the Xbox.com forums, but-- ha!-- I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even get a reply.

Well I hope they get banned, but microsoft would have to look into each individual gamertag. Because those people could be using a alias (a fake gamertag in this sense). Which would be unfair if they started giving the ban hammer left and right because they could ban an innocent person who never used that site

Chaosx721
04-01-2011, 09:25 PM
You can't just go to a website about modding and ban every GT that's linked to an account. You need proof that they're doing what they're saying.

StillTIPPIN187
04-02-2011, 01:22 AM
That's what I would have thought, but one of the last guys who sent me an ad on Black Ops had over 18k gamerscore.

I just told him to enjoy his account while he could. :D

H
Hosting lobbies and hacking gamerscore goes hand in hand. Might as well add some achievements to ur account if it's just gonna get banned in a few hours from jtag use =P

You can't just go to a website about modding and ban every GT that's linked to an account. You need proof that they're doing what they're saying.

That is why I said it helps them ban accounts.

That stepto guy even said in a podcast that specially acknowledged sevensins, that they are stupid for putting their tags out like that.

Those XBL enforcement staff have alot of time on their hands, I would not be surprised if they go on missing sites like that to ban tags once they check it's just not some kid trying to get they guys tag banned thall called him a winey fuck online.

JDMBO1
04-02-2011, 01:34 AM
can't they IP ban people sometimes?

MachineZed
04-02-2011, 02:10 AM
can't they IP ban people sometimes?
Yes, but just going into cmd: iprefresh will get you a new one. So they would have to ban a block of them, and then you can get innocent people. So that does way more harm than good.

JDMBO1
04-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Yes, but just going into cmd: iprefresh will get you a new one. So they would have to ban a block of them, and then you can get innocent people. So that does way more harm than good.
Hm, well that's just asinine, yet is using a lag switch moding?

Worhammer
04-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I think it will get you banned from LIVE, but I'm not 100%. It will definitely get you a banhammer in Halo, as it's much easier for them to prove it.

P1TTMAN
04-03-2011, 09:33 AM
H
Hosting lobbies and hacking gamerscore goes hand in hand. Might as well add some achievements to ur account if it's just gonna get banned in a few hours from jtag use =P

Nope, not in his case. :p

I checked him out; he legitimately worked on all these games-- dates match up, online achievements unlocked online, everything in order-- hell, I checked his profile again today (I'm waiting to see 'Code of Conduct' on everything :D), and the guy even just bought Comic Jumper and Unbound Saga during the sale this week.

Denizens44
04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
If they ban them, they just make new accounts unless they got IP banned.

duff28
04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I thought Microsoft's new policy was to start large witch-hunts where they would gather many cheaters into a large wicker man and BURN THEM HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

But i guess not :(

Vanilla Coke Zero
04-04-2011, 04:48 AM
are you asking this question because you planned on posting there, and were afraid you'd get caught?

IPTC
04-04-2011, 04:49 AM
That's crazy that a whole forum is dedicated to modding and other stupid stuff. Why even buy games in the first place?

P1TTMAN
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
are you asking this question because you planned on posting there, and were afraid you'd get caught?

Oh damn.. you caught me. ;)

Hybridchld
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Nope, not in his case. :p

I checked him out; he legitimately worked on all these games-- dates match up, online achievements unlocked online, everything in order-- hell, I checked his profile again today (I'm waiting to see 'Code of Conduct' on everything :D), and the guy even just bought Comic Jumper and Unbound Saga during the sale this week.

He most likely hosts the lobbies on another xbox with a different tag so his main one doesnt get banned.

Hap HAz
04-06-2011, 01:18 AM

I would have asked this question directly to the Xbox.com forums, but-- ha!-- I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even get a reply. Well, they will most probably say this:
"You are not allowed to post other users gamertags here in the forums.File a complaint and block communications with the user, and the Xbox LIVE Enforcement Team will handle it from there."

Best to just give a PM to one of the Moderators

kall5ter
04-06-2011, 01:24 AM
well they obviously have nothing better to do with their lifes..

Farklefreak5
05-06-2011, 04:02 AM
I've had a mod in my Xbox for well over a year now and Se7enSins is a good place with a wealth of knowledge floating around. Sure, a large majority of the community is made up of 12 year olds who like modding COD and other games in order to get ranks up, but the forum isn't based on that idiocy. Personally, I thinking modding in games is dumb and defeats the purpose of the game. Plus it ruins the experience for everyone, and they have pretty much shut down the MW2 servers. But please, do not insult the entire community. Some of these guys are gurus when it comes to the architecture of the Xbox, they're not all out there to destroy your gaming experience.

CyanideSpirit
05-06-2011, 05:21 AM
When it comes to modders, I think Microsoft should make like a Metallica album and Kill Em' All!

TAI JASON
05-06-2011, 06:22 AM
All these modding people betray the real gamers. They should be banned forever from Xbl. I meet some cheaters in Mortal Kombat, great thing with 1000 GS in one day. :mad:

ZedChuva
05-06-2011, 09:16 AM
People, on both sides of this, need to realize, "It's just a game!"

There is WAY too much talk like, "Boosters should be banned for life from XBL!" Why? Cause they take the easy way to complete stupid MP cheeves? Why should M$ care? If they pay for a legit Live account, they're getting money, and that's all that M$ should care about. And people who complain, "I was in a CoD game, and some assholes were boosting, so I reported them.", you my friends, are bigger losers actually. You took time out to report guys just goofing? Jesus, it's a game people... a GAME! Your life will go on, and if it effects you that much, leave the session and join another one. Remember, boosting and taking advantage of glitches isn't against any rules... unless I didn't read the fine print closely enough. Sometimes boosting is the only way to get some cheeves out of the way.

Now, hackers/modders I get. But really, only if it entails modding systems to play pirated games, or hacking servers.

People who take advantage of glitches also get lumped into this too. Sorry, but that's on the developers. Once a glitch is found, it can easily/quickly be patch, and if they choose not too... their loss.

Shit, even hacking YOUR OWN PERSONAL Live account, and falsifying achievements... who cares. It's REALLY obvious when you see this, and it just makes the hacker look like a pathetic loser. To ban them for life, and sacrifice their first born child, is just stupid. Jacking your gamer score doesn't do ANYTHING for ANYONE. You don't make money from your score, nor does it cost M$ anything if you do. When you're caught, a simple tag of "Cheater" would suffice. Don't wipe their accounts clean and "ban dem 4 lyf" over it.

It's gaming and should be kept fun. You wanna cheat... go ahead, be a douche, I really don't care.

Worhammer
05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
People, on both sides of this, need to realize, "It's just a game!"

There is WAY too much talk like, "Boosters should be banned for life from XBL!" Why? Cause they take the easy way to complete stupid MP cheeves? Why should M$ care? If they pay for a legit Live account, they're getting money, and that's all that M$ should care about. And people who complain, "I was in a CoD game, and some assholes were boosting, so I reported them.", you my friends, are bigger losers actually. You took time out to report guys just goofing? Jesus, it's a game people... a GAME! Your life will go on, and if it effects you that much, leave the session and join another one. Remember, boosting and taking advantage of glitches isn't against any rules... unless I didn't read the fine print closely enough. Sometimes boosting is the only way to get some cheeves out of the way.

Now, hackers/modders I get. But really, only if it entails modding systems to play pirated games, or hacking servers.

People who take advantage of glitches also get lumped into this too. Sorry, but that's on the developers. Once a glitch is found, it can easily/quickly be patch, and if they choose not too... their loss.

Shit, even hacking YOUR OWN PERSONAL Live account, and falsifying achievements... who cares. It's REALLY obvious when you see this, and it just makes the hacker look like a pathetic loser. To ban them for life, and sacrifice their first born child, is just stupid. Jacking your gamer score doesn't do ANYTHING for ANYONE. You don't make money from your score, nor does it cost M$ anything if you do. When you're caught, a simple tag of "Cheater" would suffice. Don't wipe their accounts clean and "ban dem 4 lyf" over it.

It's gaming and should be kept fun. You wanna cheat... go ahead, be a douche, I really don't care.
Spoken like a true gamesaver.

I don't want to have to go through the leaderboards and click on every gamertag above 100k just to see who's legit and who isn't. I like knowing that if I look at a leaderboard on just about any website, 9 times out of 10, all of the people on it are legit - and if they're not, I probably already know cause they somehow managed to go from 100th to 2nd in a week.

You wanna cheat? Go ahead. You know the risks. You get caught, you get reset. Good on MS. Keep it up.

Farklefreak5
05-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Shit, even hacking YOUR OWN PERSONAL Live account, and falsifying achievements... who cares. It's REALLY obvious when you see this, and it just makes the hacker look like a pathetic loser.

I know a couple of people who asked me to do this for them. I was like "WTF Y?" This not only defeats the entire purpose of the achievement system, but it makes game play less fun knowing that you won't be rewarded for your playtime! I don't get why people want these type of dumb mods.

However, a lot of the mods out there are fun. I remember some of the best custom maps on Halo 3 were the ones with >9000 Masterchiefs standing around. This type of stuff is good for the players, being able to do things beyond what the designers intended.

I have also found that owning a modded system has really taken a big part of gaming away from me. Eliminating the price tag from a game actually ruins a large part of the excitement of getting a new game. I'm sure you all know the feeling when you're driving away from Best Buy or GameStop or wherever you get your games. It's like an uncontained excitement (at least for me). While in the car I would read through the manual, check out the disc, look at everything on the box... usually this would end with me swerving off the road into a ditch, but it was a very little price to pay for the feeling that I got.

Now, games have no monetary value. They're replaceable. I find myself renting games that I don't want simply because they're there for relatively cheap. I signed up for a Gamefly account so that I could get several new games a week, half of which I have never even played. Now I have a collection of 100+ games with no case, manual, or cover. It's sad. It becomes an addiction rather than a thing to do because I love gaming. Regardless of how much money I have stolen (yes, stolen) I would give anything to have never modded.

I'm not asking for anyone's pity, I know what I do is illegal and wrong. So before you mod your Xbox, don't.

sak7395
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
se7ensins are cool brah

they do other things than just modding and just like here they have a good community too

Worhammer
05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I would give anything to have never modded.

I'm not asking for anyone's pity, I know what I do is illegal and wrong. So before you mod your Xbox, don't.
You know, back when Napster first came out I used to download a lot of music. Then that whole thing happened, and I realized it was stealing.

Then this miraculous thing happened. I stopped.

*gasp*

See how that works?

Spanish Assault
05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
You know, back when Napster first came out I used to download a lot of music. Then that whole thing happened, and I realized it was stealing.

*gasp*

See how that works?
Guilty as charged...I used a similar one (limewire) and also stopped when someone told me it was stealing.

As far as mods...not sure there is such thing as a "good" mod. If you are not effect my gameplay experience then I dont care what you do or what happends to you.

Farklefreak5
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM

*gasp*

See how that works?

Meh, depends on your moral code. I'm fine with P2P sharing and I'm not gonna stop anytime soon.

Whatever. This isn't a copyright discussion thread.

OP. Your idea would never work and stop reporting people that you don't even know.

niko da bos
05-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Guilty as charged...I used a similar one (limewire) and also stopped when someone told me it was stealing.

i honestly could care less, because those artists make more than enough money. i used to use limewire way back when, now i use projectplaylist.com to store my different music/playlists. if you are so worried about losing your money on fans downloading, go on tour with your lazy ass.

YouTube - YouTube Poop: Downloading Music is not a Big Deal?

Miss Baby Kim
05-06-2011, 06:52 PM
There should be a website of hall of shame and where all the banned people come from, like to see which area and country has the most cheaters

Spanish Assault
05-06-2011, 07:38 PM
There should be a website of hall of shame and where all the banned people come from, like to see which area and country has the most cheaters
They get branded on their xbox.com profile...but I think they need to put something on their live profile too.

Nismoskygtr5
05-07-2011, 02:31 AM
How does it works that MS catch cheaters? Is it automated system like Bungie did with Halo Reach?

Farklefreak5
05-07-2011, 02:37 AM
How does it works that MS catch cheaters? Is it automated system like Bungie did with Halo Reach?

If the Xbox detects that you have altered something it writes a "red flag" to the Xbox itself. Then, when Microsoft decides to ban, they check all console serials that have flags. I'm not sure exactly how this is done or whether you have to be online for it to happen.

As for the MW2 lobbies I think that's more of a report/complaint based system. Though I have heard that there is a system that will automatically report you if you send a spam-like message (ie. Bo0s+ for 1600MSP!!!).

Worhammer
05-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Meh, depends on your moral code. I'm fine with P2P sharing and I'm not gonna stop anytime soon.

Whatever. This isn't a copyright discussion thread.

OP. Your idea would never work and stop reporting people that you don't even know.
You're the one who said you wish you hadn't modded your console. First you say it bothers you, then you say you have no problem with it. All I was saying is, if it bothers you, then stop. That's kinda like saying "It hurts when I kick this wall, but I'm going to keep doing it because I can!"

Make up your mind already.

i honestly could care less, because those artists make more than enough money. i used to use limewire way back when, now i use projectplaylist.com to store my different music/playlists. if you are so worried about losing your money on fans downloading, go on tour with your lazy ass.
When I go to the store and I'm feeling like some candy, I just open up a snickers bar and eat it. I figure, that store makes tons of money. If they have a problem with it, they should hire security guards to walk around the store and make sure I don't steal.

Chaosx721
05-07-2011, 05:14 AM
If the Xbox detects that you have altered something it writes a "red flag" to the Xbox itself. Then, when Microsoft decides to ban, they check all console serials that have flags. I'm not sure exactly how this is done or whether you have to be online for it to happen.

As for the MW2 lobbies I think that's more of a report/complaint based system. Though I have heard that there is a system that will automatically report you if you send a spam-like message (ie. Bo0s+ for 1600MSP!!!).
This is not how it works. Most of it comes from games, like playing a game too early, not burning it properly, bad rip, all of these will flag your console and once Microsoft looks more into it then they do what is necessary for the situation.

For lobbies, those are made from jtag xboxs, those are flagged instantly, it just takes about an hour for the console to be banned.