PDA

View Full Version : Why i like EA and am happy they publish for BioWare.

blacqout
04-01-2011, 01:34 PM
With the recent release of Dragon Age II, i have noticed that many fans have laid the blame as much at the feet of EA as they have Mike Laidlaw and BioWare, making such statements as "EA don't care about BioWare's games, they just want the money".

To me, this is an absolutely ridiculous notion, and i will explain why.

Dig out your copy of Mass Effect 2, and you will notice that the EA logo is inside a circle with the ME swooshy thing. Now if you go and look at Dragon Age, it's inside a blood dragon. If you happen to own a Tiger Woods game, you'll see that it's inside a golf ball.

No other publisher puts as much effort into, or is as creative with, their logo on the game box. This really does send a strong message to me -- that EA really care about and respect the developers artistic vision.

The whole point of a logo is to create brand recognition, but EA purposely diminish theirs to make the cover of BioWare's games look better. No other company, in the history of anything, does this. The Mercedes star is the same on my clk cabriolet 500 sport, as it is on an A-class; the Pepsi logo is the same on all variety of the soft-drink.

What EA are doing is literally unprecedented in the business world, and it shows just how much the company respects BioWare's artistic visions.
If anyone is going to publish for BioWare, i'm glad it's Electronic Arts.

The Sea Trout
04-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I am with yourself on this one, I personally have no issue with the relationship betweeen EA and Bioware.

Agent Aero
04-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Just had quick look in my game pile, they do this with Army of Two: TDF and Medal of Honor aswell. I don't really understand why everyone bashes EA either, ok they may close their servers a little prematurely but it's just business at the end of the day, and gaming is just an industry.

EliteShadowMan
04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
really? you like ea just because the logo? how about server shutdowns, yearly released sports games that don't change game mechanics much, Online passes. Terrible company IMO. They used to be good around early 2000 but now they're getitng pretty bad.

The Sea Trout
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
really? you like ea just because the logo? how about server shutdowns, yearly released sports games that don't change game mechanics much, Online passes. Terrible company IMO. They used to be good around early 2000 but now they're getitng pretty bad.

Yeah but surely if it isnt broken then they shouldnt fix it??

As for the server shutdowns, well if it was me personally I wouldnt be running servers and very old games that nobody really plays anymore. I know its a pain if somone is trying to get online achivements but gaming is a business and running servers costs money.

StillTIPPIN187
04-01-2011, 02:12 PM
umm.. Publisher Logos do not mean they are a great publisher.. pretty funny that OP feels they do.

EA is crap imo.. But i do enjoy a couple titles from them.

EA was at their high point around the early to mid 2000's.

Yeah but surely if it isnt broken then they shouldnt fix it??

As for the server shutdowns, well if it was me personally I wouldnt be running servers and very old games that nobody really plays anymore. I know its a pain if somone is trying to get online achivements but gaming is a business and running servers costs money.

Umm, It is broke?

Madden is a Joke now..

Nascar has been a joke even when EA was at its high point.. thankfully Activision has taken hold of that now.

and NBA LIVE has been garbage compared to 2K's versions.. hell NBA ELITE never came to exist this year due to fans deeming the demo crap.

jgahagan
04-01-2011, 02:19 PM
No other publisher puts as much effort into, or is as creative with, their logo on the game box. This really does send a strong message to me -- that EA really care about and respect the developers artistic vision.

The whole point of a logo is to create brand recognition, but EA purposely diminish theirs to make the cover of BioWare's games look better. No other company, in the history of anything, does this.

This to me, is flawed. Firstly you say that EA 'diminish' their own logo in order to fit it into each games artistic style and give more attention to the developer, yet their individual logos feature prominently on the front, the spine and the back of the game package AND they have exacted the sole purpose of 'brand recognition' by making each logo a certain style in relation to that game, therefore making you and us immediately recognise the EA brand!

If anything, they ARE drawing your attention AWAY from the developer!

And your claim that "No other company, in the history of anything, does this." is quite frankly absurd. Off the top of my head, I can think of Google doing this exact type of logo design on a weekly basis!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_logo

I apologise if I come across as a jerk and I have absolutely nothing against EA, but I really think you cannot possibly defend a companies integrity/business practice based solely on their logo.

Deadly Moves
04-01-2011, 02:22 PM
With the recent release of Dragon Age II, i have noticed that many fans have laid the blame as much at the feet of EA as they have Mike Laidlaw and BioWare, making such statements as "EA don't care about BioWare's games, they just want the money".

To me, this is an absolutely ridiculous notion, and i will explain why.

Dig out your copy of Mass Effect 2, and you will notice that the EA logo is inside a circle with the ME swooshy thing. Now if you go and look at Dragon Age, it's inside a blood dragon. If you happen to own a Tiger Woods game, you'll see that it's inside a golf ball.

The whole point of a logo is to create brand recognition, but EA purposely diminish theirs to make the cover of BioWare's games look better. No other company, in the history of anything, does this. The Mercedes star is the same on my clk cabriolet 500 sport, as it is on an A-class; the Pepsi logo is the same on all variety of the soft-drink.

What EA are doing is literally unprecedented in the business world, and it shows just how much the company respects BioWare's artistic visions.
If anyone is going to publish for BioWare, i'm glad it's Electronic Arts.
Sorry, but after reading the highlighted line, i cant take anything you say seriously anymore

The Sea Trout
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Umm, It is broke?

Madden is a Joke now..

Nascar has been a joke even when EA was at its high point.. thankfully Activision has taken hold of that now.

and NBA LIVE has been garbage compared to 2K's versions.. hell NBA ELITE never came to exist this year due to fans deeming the demo crap.

I cant comment on any of them as I have never played them.

I was more going on my experiences with FIFA and Tiger.

sm182
04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Umm, It is broke?

Madden is a Joke now..

You forgot FIFA, it's been going downhill since 09.

Elit3 m0nkey
04-01-2011, 02:49 PM
The way they treat DLC is terrible, at least for Bioware games. Half the DLC for Mass Effect 2 should have been in the game. And look at all the DLC that was available for Dragon Age II on day 1.

blacqout
04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
The way they treat DLC is terrible, at least for Bioware games. Half the DLC for Mass Effect 2 should have been in the game. And look at all the DLC that was available for Dragon Age II on day 1.

David Gaider gave a very reasonable explanation as to why The Exiled Prince was released as DLC on the BioWare social network. What it comes down to is the fact that he was only re-implemented into the game as a result of the shorter rating process for DLC. If it wasn't for the existance of DLC, he wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Personally, i love that EA push BioWare to further expand their (already very full - i mean, the base content of ME2, DA:0 and DA2 last over 40 hours) games with additional, quality content.

Why anyone would have a problem with that is beyond me. And you all know of "project 10 dollar" i assume. Nothing wrong with enticing people to buy brand new copies.

Sorry, but after reading the highlighted line, i cant take anything you say seriously anymore

I have no idea what you're trying to say with this comment. I own a clk cabriolet 500 sport (http://valentinseleznyov.tumblr.com/post/641917060).

branishere
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
ea just need to sort the servers out,apart from that excellent company!

Deadly Moves
04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I have no idea what you're trying to say with this comment. I own a clk cabriolet 500 sport (http://valentinseleznyov.tumblr.com/post/641917060).
You just proved my point... :rolleyes:

litepink
04-01-2011, 05:30 PM
This thread is interesting and full of valid points

But really though, you're looking WAY too much into this. I think the farthest you could take this is to say "hey, this is kind of neat". To say this aspect of their games is "why I like EA and am happy" is a very very trivial aspect compared to the whole picture.

blacqout
04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
You just proved my point... :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're going to have to explain this to me a little better.

What exactly is it that you think driving a mid-range luxory car is supposed to say about me?

Deadly Moves
04-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to explain this to me a little better.

What exactly is it that you think driving a mid-range luxory car is supposed to say about me?
More importantly. What do YOU think it says about you?

blacqout
04-01-2011, 06:34 PM

But really though, you're looking WAY too much into this. I think the farthest you could take this is to say "hey, this is kind of neat". To say this aspect of their games is "why I like EA and am happy" is a very very trivial aspect compared to the whole picture.

It's not a trivial aspect, and i clearly explained in my opening proposition that their altering of the EA logo is symbolic of something far greater.

EA go against what is established as good business strategy, in order to afford BioWare (and other developers working under them) total aesthetic control of their games.

That's why i'm happy with Electronic Arts.

Maybe if you were capable of reading, you'd be able to unstrike your passive-aggressive opening sentence.

More importantly. What do YOU think it says about you?

Nothing, and i'm a little unsure as to why you're making an issue out of it.

I casually mentioned it to prove a point in regards to brand recognition - simply because it was the first example that came to mind when i looked out of the window.

If you think that i'm somehow bragging, then you are completely mistaken.

Capn Doug
04-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Sometimes it is the little touches that make something go from good to great. Sometimes it's a line in a game that shows they are taking one aspect seriously, or that they aren't taking anything too seriously (I still giggle when Ezio is asked "What part of France are you from?" and responds with "Montreal." Montreal didn't exist in the time period of the game, but it's funny as hell). I agree with the sentiment of the OP, though maybe not the specific example.

How much do you need to change the mechanics of a sports game? The sport doesn't change that much year to year. People say they should just release a title update online every year, but I wouldn't want that. I got NHL 08 specifically so I could play with Trevor Linden. Title update means he goes bye bye. Online passes just add a bit of hardship to people buying used or very late (not things that actually help developers) and server shutdowns come when no one plays them. I've said this all many times, it isn't the wrong move, it just irritates gamers with a sense of entitlement.

If the developer put DLC in the actual game, we would have to wait an extra year (in some cases) to actually see the game. Some people would be fine with that, but delaying a game costs money, and would in turn cost jobs. Since BioWare has no desire to fire people, they take things out and work on them until they are fixed. I just happens to fit in nicely with Project $10.

Deadly Moves
04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Nothing, and i'm a little unsure as to why you're making an issue out of it.

I casually mentioned it to prove a point in regards to brand recognition - simply because it was the first example that came to mind when i looked out of the window.

If you think that i'm somehow bragging, then you are completely mistaken.
Ok if your that stupid that i have to spell it out. Here you go...
There are 2 ways of mentioning something like that, and you did it the wrong way. Like a typical 'poncey' Merc owner.
A normal person would have just put my 'Mercedes clk' and not "Mercedes clk cabriolet 500 sport" And the picture in your stupid blog says the same thing about you.

blacqout
04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Ok if your that stupid that i have to spell it out. Here you go...
There are 2 ways of mentioning something like that, and you did it the wrong way. Like a typical 'ponsy' Merc owner.
A normal person would have just put my 'Mercedes clk' and not "Mercedes clk cabriolet 500 sport" And the picture in your stupid blog says the same thing about you.

Typical "mercedes owner"?

Do you harbour such irrational prejudices against other groups of people? I politely used my car to prove a point. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but you're being out of line.

Spoony Bard
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
And your claim that "No other company, in the history of anything, does this." is quite frankly absurd. Off the top of my head, I can think of Google doing this exact type of logo design on a weekly basis!

Universal Studios also plays around with the look of their logo at the start of many of their films to help set the tone of the movie.

blacqout
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Universal Studios also plays around with the look of their logo at the start of many of their films to help set the tone of the movie.

That's fairly common practice, even within the video game world (Activision do so on the CoD games etc) but it's not the same thing.

On printed media, Universal Studio's logo is always the same. Why? Brand recognition.

Their logo on the Indiana Jones DVD case is the same as the DVD case for any other film they have been involved with.

Google is a similarly poor example, because they have a set logo on printed media. They alter their logo on their actual webpage, where brand recognition is no longer important.

Huge difference.

Deadly Moves
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Do you harbour such irrational prejudices against other groups of people? I politely used my car to prove a point. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but you're being out of line.
There is nothing irrational or prejudice about my points. Just giving my opinions, which im free to do. You just cant see past your own reflection in the mirrors of your Mercedes CLK Cabriolet 500 Sport.

"out of line"? lolz

Back on topic?

jgahagan
04-01-2011, 07:14 PM

I've just remembered that R* also do it too.

balance13
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
It doesn't really matter that they change the background of their logo each time it's still EA and clearly a recognizable brand logo. It really says nothing about the company at all.....

jgahagan
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
That's fairly common practice, even within the video game world (Activision do so on the CoD games etc) but it's not the same thing.

On printed media, Universal Studio's logo is always the same. Why? Brand recognition.

Their logo on the Indiana Jones DVD case is the same as the DVD case for any other film they have been involved with.

Google is a similarly poor example, because they have a set logo on printed media. They alter their logo on their actual webpage, where brand recognition is no longer important.

Huge difference.

I'm not even going to go into how flawed your entire argument is. Maybe re-think what you said and then re-join us all on planet Earth.

KeepEmRolling
04-01-2011, 07:41 PM

I'm gonna have to go with this.

On the subject of the way EA modifies their logo, here's my take. It's packaging, no more, no less. When looking at the spines of my games, lined up on the shelf behind me, I can clearly see EA on whatever background it's been printed on. For example, I don't see a dragon with EA printed on it, I see EA on a red background. Whether it's DA:O, MOH, or NFS:Hot Pursuit, regardless of the logo's background EA is the dominant focus.

sm182
04-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Huge difference.

Google is primarily an internet search engine, how is them altering their logo on their website not important? How many printed media type items do they put their logo on?

GMail Paper? (in the spirit of the 1st of April: http://mail.google.com/mail/help/paper/more.html)

I think you have it the other way around

blacqout
04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Google is primarily an internet search engine, how is them altering their logo on their website not important? How many printed media type items do they put their logo on?

GMail Paper? (in the spirit of the 1st of April: http://mail.google.com/mail/help/paper/more.html)

I think you have it the other way around

Because if you are looking at their altered logo, you are already using their search engine. On off-site advetisments, it's always the traditional logo -- the one outside their headquarters, because of, you know, brand recongition.

sm182
04-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Because if you are looking at their altered logo, you are already using their search engine. On off-site advetisments, it's always the traditional logo -- the one outside their headquarters, because of, you know, brand recongition.

Yet EA doesn't change their logo outside their HQ everytime they release a new Bioware game...

blacqout
04-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Yet EA doesn't change their logo outside their HQ everytime they release a new Bioware game...

I can only assume that you are feigning this collossal density in some sort of an April Fool's joke.

EA's logo is altered specifically to suit video game packaging. People who look at this packaging, or promotional materials for the specific game, typically wont already own it.

This is why when google use a different graphic on their website is not the same -- because they are actually using the product, brand recognition isn't a concern, even more so, considering the fact that their actual logo is always on the page.

sm182
04-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Golden Oldie:

YouTube - Mortal Kombat II Special Intro [Acclaim title section]

Deadly Moves
04-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Sorry but EA doesnt really change there logo. They tinker with the background. The EA part has stayed the same for years...

So by your logic, bcos EA change the background of there logo to suit the game its in, means you feel safe with there envolvement in a games developement?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj4rZMaiJ_Qs2WDBgxkmZmwsrtWTrJk 5-5rcAJMGgGC6TH48w1lg http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdMm3rB2BKE_zIN1laSMn7LrIB3vaMe ZlBpku_tcY1OLyksvfO http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoLw19aZvodYzGfE6SuVkT9t79Ef4Sh I3vGtmcHTkkKW-T5FaT http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGzFiaF3wMIdVvIbeSAgt28Hxl1K102 XeNuYyNGOUDx0UpEVqCTg http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN8qA4zEFAotMMMCCtw7sybGBrXgq8R IuMaLLD5MC4sime2_Caog http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTede6QEfYrh0JUV2yjJwFhROLkyMwee C1k1CIAkC1VRiQ9LwC5 http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX93W_xJ7vfmu5Bp_KmUPNgOL3zDFuc-MSqFOtqZ8AAF2p7hsR http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRATlIFUw6x9OndUTnanoSneelW_znG2 rIdfd0gtKDdCjJOWV0E http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDoT-icvvrcIJnYYfgtQbsKEPsHXfd0itlSLgHMaWlafoh3PNu http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfGV0LqeGfBkwgLrwghrlHON47SKcBG WEE2-qFUG272paIc0jheA http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/01/ea_logo.jpg http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1BcIp6gcwQm69eLcbGhr5_pAzkr9T2 bY79aITyEMBrE865n5h-Q http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGk3orpywZyRNZkfrYbB6aQjQBHuIge MGBcyeSFYCnaexcPPvm http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGB_1Kb369jZLGsU4wmRSeQ3KXO3pDQ Wl81kHFx_6ptykyoCoi http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQISRi-61_kUXg6MELGT39UgkzkdFN4N43SeFmEWofsGAteGeg
http://www.hellgateguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/ea-logo-hellgate-style.jpg

wexnlex
04-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Only problem I have with EA is sometimes their QA and Customer Service sucks balls. And the 10 dollar pass, well if you aren't buying the game factory sealed then EA gets no revenue. So I highly doubt if they give a rats ass about anyone being mad at it. 15 dollar used game +10 more for the pass, it's still about 35 less than you could have paid.

JDMBO1
04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
EA is mainly money grubbing since they are kind of falling apart. It's all about marketing anybody with common sense can see that. Still if you go by the "logo respecting the artistic value of the box", then your just falling for a marketing appeal. If I were to condense liking something as trivial as a logo, then it would be like a child with ADHD clamoring over a shinny penny. I can see some merit in making the logo fit the box art, but again it's just trivial. When I go to buy a game I don't stare at the logo and say "that looks awesome I want it just because of the logo". Face it EA has to be creative since it just has a big obnoxious logo, that if it didn't have a background design I think it wouldn't much matter.

Wolf Spider
04-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I like EA, but for different reasons. This gen, they are actually taking risks on original IP's, and that's something that big publishers LIKE EA aren't known to do. Not only Bioware games, but they've been behind others like Saboteur, The Simpsons Game, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and a lot of other games. EA gets a lot of backlash still because of their sports games, but they really don't get enough credit.

the hate for Activision, on the other hand, is completely understandable.

Gackt
04-02-2011, 04:59 PM
So you are saying EA isnt all about the money simply because they hide their logo everywhere? ...
I don't have anything against EA personally, not a big fan of online passes that all of their MP games require would be my only complaint.

ITD Soldierboy
04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm going to go a little off topic, and look at the hatred of different Publishing companies as a whole.

If you hate EA so much, stop buying their games. Any game that was published by EA you should not buy. Likewise for Activision, THQ, Ubisoft, etc...

I don't buy games because of the publisher that publishes it. If a game is released that has glitches and bugs, the blame has to be split down the middle. The developer is blamed because they let a bug or glitch pass their QA team, and the publisher has to be blamed because they most likely made the developer rush the project and also let it slide past their QA team.

I buy games because they seem enjoyable. Which is why I don't understand this hatred for any EA Sports games. Sure, it might be the same iteration each year with minor additions or changes, but if you hate it...don't buy it. People always want EA to stop releasing it every year and instead release one every other year. How about...you stop buying/renting every year and only play every other year? Madden NFL has been a yearly tradition for me and my Father, and even though I wasn't born when the first 4 came out(I was born in 1992) I started playing them with my dad when I was 4 years old. We've played each and everyone over and over again and have enjoyed each one for the unique things that were included. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Take me for example, I dis-like the Call of Duty series now. I loved Modern Warfare, and World at War, but this formula is old now. Until they change it up, I will not buy another Call of Duty. But this does not mean I won't buy another game from Activision. Sure they might rush it out and try to bag millions off of it, and they ruin developers and basically run something dry. But they're a business. A nasty and greedy business, but still a business. So while I won't buy another Call of Duty, if a game I'm interested in is published by Activision, I'm not gonna denounce it because it's an Activision title, no, I'll only denounce it if it is bad.

And all this hatred for EA because of server closings. It's just stupid. You should have read the terms and agreements when you were required to accept them. They clearly state that the online features can be closed down with at least 30 days notice. They not only give ample time to play them(at least a year) but they also give you enough warning about when they're going to shut them down. Just because you didn't spend the extra 5 minutes to read through the agreement you accepted doesn't mean you're entitled to something when EA shuts it down...

Online passes? Sure they're a nuisance, but they still give you a trial period which you can play it for free. If you really enjoy it enough, either spend the 10 bucks to get the pass or buy the game. Every new copy will come with a free online pass. Whether you buy it the day it's released or when it's on sale for a penny. As long as it's a new copy, you'll have a free pass.

kinggiiet
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
EA and Bioware are perfect for each other :)

crazy W01f 816
04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm going to go a little off topic, and look at the hatred of different Publishing companies as a whole.

If you hate EA so much, stop buying their games. Any game that was published by EA you should not buy. Likewise for Activision, THQ, Ubisoft, etc...

I don't buy games because of the publisher that publishes it. If a game is released that has glitches and bugs, the blame has to be split down the middle. The developer is blamed because they let a bug or glitch pass their QA team, and the publisher has to be blamed because they most likely made the developer rush the project and also let it slide past their QA team.

I buy games because they seem enjoyable. Which is why I don't understand this hatred for any EA Sports games. Sure, it might be the same iteration each year with minor additions or changes, but if you hate it...don't buy it. People always want EA to stop releasing it every year and instead release one every other year. How about...you stop buying/renting every year and only play every other year? Madden NFL has been a yearly tradition for me and my Father, and even though I wasn't born when the first 4 came out(I was born in 1992) I started playing them with my dad when I was 4 years old. We've played each and everyone over and over again and have enjoyed each one for the unique things that were included. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Take me for example, I dis-like the Call of Duty series now. I loved Modern Warfare, and World at War, but this formula is old now. Until they change it up, I will not buy another Call of Duty. But this does not mean I won't buy another game from Activision. Sure they might rush it out and try to bag millions off of it, and they ruin developers and basically run something dry. But they're a business. A nasty and greedy business, but still a business. So while I won't buy another Call of Duty, if a game I'm interested in is published by Activision, I'm not gonna denounce it because it's an Activision title, no, I'll only denounce it if it is bad.

And all this hatred for EA because of server closings. It's just stupid. You should have read the terms and agreements when you were required to accept them. They clearly state that the online features can be closed down with at least 30 days notice. They not only give ample time to play them(at least a year) but they also give you enough warning about when they're going to shut them down. Just because you didn't spend the extra 5 minutes to read through the agreement you accepted doesn't mean you're entitled to something when EA shuts it down...

Online passes? Sure they're a nuisance, but they still give you a trial period which you can play it for free. If you really enjoy it enough, either spend the 10 bucks to get the pass or buy the game. Every new copy will come with a free online pass. Whether you buy it the day it's released or when it's on sale for a penny. As long as it's a new copy, you'll have a free pass.
Ahhh.............the voice of reason. It's so soothing. :woop:

Emirates Snake
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Very true but lets hope everyone else agrees to that :P

balance13
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Most people aren't complaining about how much they hate the company. It's mostly about how the topics creators logic is so flawed.

Worhammer
04-02-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm going with Deadly Moves on this one.

It's just like how when somebody asks me what car I drive, I say "2003 Eclipse GTS" instead of "a Mitsubishi Eclipse" - I do autocross and sometimes street race my car. Anybody who hears me say that and is into the tuner scene will know it. Just like anybody who hears you say all that crap about your benz will think you're a wanna be rich kid with a stick up your butt.

As for the EA thing, I couldn't care less about how their logo looks on the packaging. That doesn't mean it is acceptable for them to push out a game with broken achievements and game breaking glitches. This is what shows me they care more about money than they do about their customers enjoying a good product. Not the online pass. Not the shutting down of old servers. I understand their point of view, and in fact I even agree with it. Good for them for using their money wisely. Good for them for screwing Gamestop out of a bit of cash. It's a business, that's how things work.

Bad for them that they released to me a game that had AT THE VERY LEAST 7 broken achievements. Bad for them for releasing a game that has bugs in it that SHOULD HAVE BEEN caught with the absolute possible minimum QA possible. Things that I encountered regularly and consistently throughout the game. Their logo branding, cool or not, has nothing to do with how much they care about you or me or their developers.

blacqout
04-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm going with Deadly Moves on this one.

It's just like how when somebody asks me what car I drive, I say "2003 Eclipse GTS" instead of "a Mitsubishi Eclipse" - I do autocross and sometimes street race my car. Anybody who hears me say that and is into the tuner scene will know it. Just like anybody who hears you say all that crap about your benz will think you're a wanna be rich kid with a stick up your butt.

I'm going to do you a favour and assume that you're siding with Deadly Moves because your respective xbox avatars have no hair. Bald people sticking together, and all that.

Because if you geniunely believe as he does... well, i really hope neither of you apply your line of thinking to other groups of people.

Also, i needed to mention the brand of my car for the example to work: my point was that Mercedes do not change their logo for each model.

Bill IV
04-02-2011, 11:28 PM
EA and Bioware are perfect for each other :)

Which is why Bioware now ban games and content over activities that occur on there forums.
I'm going to do you a favour and assume that you're siding with Deadly Moves because your respective xbox avatars have no hair. Bald people sticking together, and all that.

Because if you geniunely believe as he does... well, i really hope neither of you apply your line of thinking to other groups of people.

Also, i needed to mention the brand of my car for the example to work: my point was that Mercedes do not change their logo for each model.

Imagine if Mercedes changed the color of the logo depending on the color of the car, would people get confused of who made the car? No, this whole thread is dumb and to praise a company on something that has absolutely zero effect on the playable game is plain retarded. EA has done plenty of things for them to have earned the hate they deserve, but to say they must be good because of there logo is just saying you like someone in there art department nothing more.

Mr Bungle
04-03-2011, 01:22 AM

Ha. What the hell?

hydrosugar
04-03-2011, 01:26 AM
online passes dont bother me at all, at least i can see reasoning behind it.

but putting so many online acheivements in all of there games is pretty much just trolling in the end, especially since for example in fifa 10 quitters arent adequately punished, and of course there's the issue of closing servers.
i would still hate the online achievements if everything ran smoothly, so givent they dont its justy infurating at times.

it should be offline for the hard/skill achievements and online just if you feel like playing it.

the logo's are a nice touch, but do nothing to compete with all of ea's problems. plus pretty much all of my ea games are ea sports titles so i dont notice as much anyways.

Worhammer
04-03-2011, 05:56 AM

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/www.ign.com/291/2011/02/Obvious-Troll-is-Obvious.jpg

'Nuff said.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-03-2011, 07:12 AM
If ea cared about t he publishers creativity they would set such strict release dates and rush them to finish.

The problem with ea is that it is now a huge publisher/developer and because of that they focus on profits and everything they can to get money. I watched them re-release the command and conquer series and watched it go from good to a yearly then half yearly release getting worse and worse. And they run the team down so much they let a big chunk of them go and now a new team is doing it.

EA were great in the 90s when they spelled out their full company name this the square triangle circle logo and they weren't as big. Games were less buggy and they dint regurgitate franchises to death.

blacqout
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/www.ign.com/291/2011/02/Obvious-Troll-is-Obvious.jpg

'Nuff said.

Hardly.

If you genuinely think it's acceptable to make such judgements based on the car a person drives, and if you genuinely can't see why i needed to mention the brand of my car for my example to work... then you're an obvious idiot.

I'm not surprised someone with your limited mental capacity would focus entirely on one purposely silly sentence while ignoring the points that, quite clearly, invalidate your previous spiel.

Accusations of trolling are the fallback of the mentally inept. You should endeavour to rise above such behaviour.

Bill IV
04-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Hardly.

If you genuinely think it's acceptable to make such judgements based on the car a person drives, and if you genuinely can't see why i needed to mention the brand of my car for my example to work... then you're an obvious idiot.

I'm not surprised someone with your limited mental capacity would focus entirely on one purposely silly sentence while ignoring the points that, quite clearly, invalidate your previous spiel.

Accusations of trolling are the fallback of the mentally inept. You should endeavour to rise above such behaviour.

Invalid faggotry, Mercedes are for fags so you must be one. This is my point and I guess you do not have the mental capacity to understand.

blacqout
04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Invalid faggotry, Mercedes are for fags so you must be one. This is my point and I guess you do not have the mental capacity to understand.

Spoken like somebody that can't afford one.

JDMBO1
04-03-2011, 02:42 PM
to be honest you sound like a pretentious prick that's what every ones saying. Except Mercedes is a nice luxury car company

Edit: You don't need to state the full title of your car, unless your asked. Also how would we know where the hell the emblem on the car is. Anyway just saying "like the emblem on my Mercedes" works just fine.

also belittling other is a show of ignorance by the way

JohnnyR74
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Good show, OP. Now, everyone in the thread should endeavour to rise above the OP's behaviour and leave. He can have his fancy interchanging logos, and we'll stick to our boring logos. Such is the life. :(

ITD Soldierboy
04-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Whether or not you want to make snide comments doesn't bother me. The fact that people complain about games is stupid. If you hate them so much, don't buy them :p.

DucknahEireann
04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
What i hate about EA is the online passes required for most if not all of their games. So i have to buy EA games new instead of pre-owned. And the server shutdowns of LotR: Conquest, Army of Two etc. Maybe not many people play these games anymore but id still like to be able to get the online cheevos. Other than that EA is sweet. Command and Conquer series is the shit. And Need for Speed series is pretty sweet as well.

crazy W01f 816
04-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Whether or not you want to make snide comments doesn't bother me. The fact that people complain about games is stupid. If you hate them so much, don't buy them :p.
Actually, I was being serious. I don't even bother getting into these debates anymore because it's the same damn complaints every single time. I agreed with everything you said; sorry if it sounded "snide."

blacqout
04-03-2011, 04:09 PM
to be honest you sound like a pretentious prick that's what every ones saying. Except Mercedes is a nice luxury car company

Edit: You don't need to state the full title of your car, unless your asked. Also how would we know where the hell the emblem on the car is. Anyway just saying "like the emblem on my Mercedes" works just fine.

also belittling other is a show of ignorance by the way

Yes. I'm a terrible human being because i own a luxury car...

Do you harbour similar thoughts on people that own Ferrari's? Or black skin?

I cited the model of my car because it was integral to my example. You and the baldy bunch are the only people making an issue out of it. It sounds like you're jealous, and i guess i can't blame you, but cut it out.

JDMBO1
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Yes. I'm a terrible human being because i own a luxury car...

Do you harbour similar thoughts on people that own Ferrari's? Or black skin?

I cited the model of my car because it was integral to my example. You and the baldy bunch are the only people making an issue out of it. It sounds like you're jealous, and i guess i can't blame you, but cut it out.
Excuse me but I've not cited that you're a terrible human, nor did I base anything off of you owning a luxury car. Again you're being asinine and a bit immature and that makes you all the more ignorant. My reasoning for saying that you're a pretentious prick is purely out of the fact that you're belittle others in posts that seem to differ from what you like to hear. I can't imagine how or why you choose to belittle others, but it is a form of condescension. In most of your responses in this thread you've made, you have either been condescending or belittling people, and this can be seen as a form of immaturity.

Worhammer
04-03-2011, 07:39 PM

'Nuff said.

Hey look, my point is proven!!! Thanks for making it even more obvious.

As for anything else you've said, the fact that you say your point was to use the specific make and model and trim package of your car is not what makes you a troll. What makes you a troll is how you deliver the point you're trying to make.

You have not made a single post in this thread without calling somebody a name, insulting, or talking down to them, as if we were below your high and mighty awesomeness. When we disagree, you say it is because we are mentally handicapped. When we provide evidence to back up our points, you say we simply ridiculous and can't understand what you're trying to say. You ever hear that saying "You can't BS a BSer?" - Well, you can't troll a troll. At least not the good ones. I am a recovering troll. Did it for many years on many different boards. I've since matured and while old habits are hard to break, I still know when I'm being baited.

I call shenanigans, Mr. Troll. Shenanigans.

And on that note, I am done taking the bait from your trap without tripping it. Enjoy your trolling. Maybe you'll go somewhere else. If not, that's fine too. I couldn't care less...but your ability to entertain me with your sub-par trolling skills is ended.

Jakez123
04-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Worhammer, im just saying the objective of the troll is just to create entertainment for themselves, so replying back with information only makes them do what they want you to do and that is answering back and getting frustrated. I just say everyone drops it like the other guy said

blacqout
04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
As for anything else you've said, the fact that you say your point was to use the specific make and model and trim package of your car is not what makes you a troll. What makes you a troll is how you deliver the point you're trying to make.

"The whole point of a logo is to create brand recognition, but EA purposely diminish theirs to make the cover of BioWare's games look better. No other company, in the history of anything, does this. The Mercedes star is the same on my clk cabriolet 500 sport, as it is on an A-class; the Pepsi logo is the same on all variety of the soft-drink."

Perhaps someone could explain to me how this point, and the manner it is expressed in, makes me a "troll".

If i have spoken down to you, as if you're an idiot, it's because your original counter-point was idiotic. You said that you would refer to your car as a GT something or other... oblivious to the fact that my car being a Mercedes was integral to the point i was politely making.

Your (and Deadly Move's) behaviour seemed to be motivated by envy more than anything.

Like i said, the simple-minded usually fall back on the "you're a troll" thing when they're outwitted... but how badly you're actually having to force your accusation is a new experience for me.

KeepEmRolling
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
"The whole point of a logo is to create brand recognition, but EA purposely diminish theirs to make the cover of BioWare's games look better. No other company, in the history of anything, does this. The Mercedes star is the same on my clk cabriolet 500 sport, as it is on an A-class; the Pepsi logo is the same on all variety of the soft-drink."

Perhaps someone could explain to me how this point, and the manner it is expressed in, makes me a "troll".

Like i said, the simple-minded usually fall back on the "you're a troll" thing when they're outwitted... but how badly you're actually having to force your accusation is a new experience for me.

This just gets more amusing as time goes by. I must congratulate you on taking a nonsensical comparison to EA's packaging and product brand recognition and turning it into a 5 star boorish rant, insulting nearly everyone that replies.

I hesitate to use the term troll, but that is exactly what you've been doing all along. Have some dignity and move on.

blacqout
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
This just gets more amusing as time goes by. I must congratulate you on taking a nonsensical comparison to EA's packaging and product brand recognition and turning it into a 5 star boorish rant, insulting nearly everyone that replies.

I hesitate to use the term troll, but that is exactly what you've been doing all along. Have some dignity and move on.

"Dignity"? To me, a key aspect of dignity entails not thinking negatively of people soley because they own nicer things than you.

Which, in calling me a "troll" simply for stating that i own a $100,000 sports car, is what you're doing.

jgahagan
04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Has anyone even seen blacqout's blog? He linked it earlier with that lark about his Mercedes 5000-BLT and under a post from December 12, 2010 he says:

But i can certainly play a pretty good douchebag on the internet.

http://valentinseleznyov.tumblr.com/page/2

And here lies the end of this thread.

blacqout
04-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Just a touch out of context.

And any impartial observer will note that there was precisely zero unpleasentness in this thread until Deadly Moves waded in with his irrational hatred of Mercedes owners.

balance13
04-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Everyone needs to chill the fuck out.

The thread is about him thinking EA is a good publisher, many people have argued against the point. There is no need to go on hating and bashing each other.

Who gives a shit if he drives a Mercedes, I drive a 1995 GMC 1500 and I would much rather have that. His vehicle has nothing to do with the arguement and this is just getting out of hand.

JDMBO1
04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Then why don't we just let the thread die? besides even OP got way out of hand with his responses