PDA

View Full Version : The Debate

keltboy
04-02-2011, 11:51 PM
This is my attempt at a debate thread thing. Each week, I will put up a new debate for people to argue over, like the Tweetbate on XBL, only better, and without Twitter. I will run it 3 weeks to begin with, then see how it goes from there.

OK, the first debate is: Does co-op make a game better?

Vantigard2S
04-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Not necessarily better, but it can make games more fun. I know Resi 5 wouldn't have been as fun in single player.

balance13
04-03-2011, 12:44 AM
It's doesn't make the game better, it can simply make it more enjoyable and fun. IMO

Foxxy kyle
04-03-2011, 01:39 AM
I think it will make it better most of the time. Depending on how good the Multiplayer is.

Examples:
Medal of honor - Shitty multiplayer. would be better without since the story is great
Call of duty 4 - Made the game Way better and it a;ready was amazing

Venomized
04-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Depends what better means to you. More fun and enjoyable as someone said, then yes.

But my question is: Why wouldn't you add Co-op to single player? It wouldn't hurt people who like playing single player. They can play single player if they want. and people who LOVE co-op such as myself would enjoy it quite a lot. Games now-a-days don't have a lot of co-op campaign like back in the original xbox days and early 360 days. I miss those days =(

SwampertTheGreat
04-03-2011, 04:31 AM
It doesn't make it better.

It's just a nice option to have

Jondude20
04-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Like people have previously said, it might not automatically make the game better, but it sure gives the story a more in-depth, fun experience playing with friends. One problem I have with co-op though is that sometimes when I'm playing with friends, I'll get annoyed if they talk during cut-scenes or mess around during a serious part, haha!

But other than that, I love co-op on any kind of game, it spices things up.

SatansBunny99
04-03-2011, 09:20 AM
It depends entirely on how it's executed. I personally only play single player, but I don't mind in principle having optional co-op built into a game. However, if the extra characters are programmed to stay in the game controlled by AI, then that AI better be good, or you'll ruin the game for me. Luckily, I haven't actually experienced much of this, though the AI in L4D/L4D2 could be a nuisance at times. Best solution IMO is to have no friendly AI, so when your co-op partner leaves, you're on your own (eg. Borderlands). Im a lone ranger lol.

cutchinz
04-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Like Swampert said, it doesn't necessarily make a game better, but I am more likely to buy a game with co-op than if it is singleplayer only.

JDMBO1
04-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I for one think that co-op doesn't make a game better, but is surely does make it all the more enjoyable. In one way RPG's may actually be a bit better with Co-op capability, but that's just preference in a sense. It would expand the life of an RPG, but that's because you can enjoy it with a friend. Co-op such as Nazi Zombies actually is possibly a case where it made a game better.

duff28
04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
A game is a game, co-op on some is good and co-op on some is bad depending on the game.

My turn... does single player make a game better?

Answer - Exactly the same as my first answer

You may say that was pointless but then i would say this thread is pointless

Mr Bungle
04-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I for one think that co-op doesn't make a game better, but is surely does make it all the more enjoyable.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

balance13
04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I think it will make it better most of the time. Depending on how good the Multiplayer is.

Examples:
Medal of honor - Shitty multiplayer. would be better without since the story is great
Call of duty 4 - Made the game Way better and it a;ready was amazing

Co-op isn't online multiplayer necessarily.

Delboy
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I think in some case it does make it "better" for achievements, take GOW2 for example, could you seriously (see the pun?) beat the game on Insane by yourself?

However some games can get annoying; Fable II, it is just a complete and utter disgrace to co-op.

All in all, I think co-op takes a significant/ small impact depending on which game you are playing.

Spoony Bard
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I think in some case it does make it "better" for achievements, take GOW2 for example, could you seriously (see the pun?) beat the game on Insane by yourself?

I have, it wasn't actually too hard. Gears 1 is harder just because of Raam at the end.

But I get your point. There's nothing like teaming up with a friend to finally take down that one boss, or make it through that one level. You feel a sense of accomplishment in not only beating the game, but doing it through teamwork.

hydrosugar
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
i like the 'without twitter' part;)

i dont think it makes it better, because they can tend to assume everyone will play co-op. note the shitty A.I partners in lfd and resi 5. after playing resi 5 by myself on 360, i played co-op at a friends house on his ps3, and despite being 'that' console it was much better. easier on a harder difficulty too which says something.

also a little off topic but i only rented resident evil 5, and didnt have time to beat it. but i did get the 'be the knife' cheevo worth 60 points. so when i was playing at my friends house i spent all my time trying to get that trophy even though he didnt really want it:p