PDA

View Full Version : Buying MS points through XBL

la_faker_81
04-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Real quick question. On your credit card statement, does it list the gamertag that the points went to?

Or does it just say something like "Microsoft Xbox 360 Live - MS points 2000 blah blah $x.xx" without mentioning the GT?

Giptuc
04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Mine just says shit like

Microsoft Xbox Live charge - $X.XX

Emirates Snake
04-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Putting your credit card in xbox live is not a good idea. Most people who do so will eventually get their gamertags suspended on xbox live. What MS doesn't tell you is that once you put your credit card, they will automatically activate Auto Renewal for you and if you cancel your card or change it and the time comes for the renewal, they will suspend your account.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question though :)

Venomized
04-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Putting your credit card in xbox live is not a good idea. Most people who do so will eventually get their gamertags suspended on xbox live. What MS doesn't tell you is that once you put your credit card, they will automatically activate Auto Renewal for you and if you cancel your card or change it and the time comes for the renewal, they will suspend your account.

I know! Microsoft those fucking bastards charged me for my very first xbox live account for 4-5 years! I made it back on the original xbox and when I got a 360 I made a new one. And I thought after a year it was canceled. They never said anything about renewing it over and over. It was on my moms card at the time but still. Freaking cheap bastards. And as for the suspension thing, that happened to my other account (first 360 one).

Microsoft...I hate em! But I love them too =(

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
lot what a load of trollop. he only reason i can possibly think of that they might suspend your account is if you remove your details without cancelling the auto renew so in their eyes your down for getting live yet you remove the means for them to charge for it.

anyway the xbox live isnt what he asked. And no it wont list your gamertag when you buy points. But why would it matter unless your spending money that isn't yours and you are trying to hide it...

Giptuc
04-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Yeah i had a cancelled card on there for months, nothing happened. After i changed the card over, it just started debiting as per normal. But in the first place, if your going to get a credit card and link it to accounts, the natural thing to do is cancel subscriptions linked to that card when you cancel it, or its just your own fault for letting it get to the point where they have to cancel your subscription.

They are a company, if something goes wrong and they need to contact you regarding the money, then thats what they do. The only reason they will suspend your account is if something suspicious happens regarding the card registered to the account and there is unpaid debts, or if they are unable to debit anything when it comes to auto renewal

Schism
04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
The thing i do when buying points is to just buy it off the gamestop website. its much easier and you get the code straight up. code pops up on your computer. and you enter it just like you would if you bought it from the store. saves the trouble of going to the place or having your card under M$. hope that helps. shit its all i do now haha

btw its the Digital download. and you can do the exact same thing when buying the 3months/1years.
its really easy.

EmporerDragon
04-03-2011, 10:11 AM

Of course, that's only if you put auto renewal on in the first place. One can easily link a credit card for points purchases whilst still paying for live via the prepaid cards.

StillTIPPIN187
04-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Of course, that's only if you put auto renewal on in the first place. One can easily link a credit card for points purchases whilst still paying for live via the prepaid cards.

No they do this automatically.. My girl went through trouble with the asswipes over it.

My girl wanted her card linked to the tag to buy her avatar stuff.. and ofcourse, MS decides hey your gold running out how about i go ahead and charge another 3 months onto it since that seems to be what you like to buy.

duff28
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Ive also had trouble with them not taking my details off and wanting to charge me for whatever they feel like.

My advice is stick to points cards, or websites that you pay easily online and they instantly e-mail you the code

newbsicle
04-03-2011, 02:15 PM
They really do suspend your account if you remove payment options and renewal comes up. Some say you can turn auto-renewal off and it reverts to silver. This is likely but wasn't always the case. The option to remove the card and turn auto-renewal off came after the new dashboard. I remember being suspended pre-dashboard update after calling in to support to remove my card details.

Either way, in about 3 weeks my year subscription is up and I currently don't have auto-renewal on or any payment options. If I can't revert to silver I will document and show you guys on youtube.

Emirates Snake
04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah i had a cancelled card on there for months, nothing happened. After i changed the card over, it just started debiting as per normal. But in the first place, if your going to get a credit card and link it to accounts, the natural thing to do is cancel subscriptions linked to that card when you cancel it, or its just your own fault for letting it get to the point where they have to cancel your subscription.

They are a company, if something goes wrong and they need to contact you regarding the money, then thats what they do. The only reason they will suspend your account is if something suspicious happens regarding the card registered to the account and there is unpaid debts, or if they are unable to debit anything when it comes to auto renewal
They have the right to suspend an account when trying to get their money when I purchase something, but they do not have the right to suspend an account simply coz they decided to activate Auto Renewal without alerting the account owner then charge the account owner for a gold membership that he did not ask for !!!

I'm not here to argue but this is a problem I have seen happen to atleast 5 friends and thought I would warn the person who started the thread.

EmporerDragon
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
No they do this automatically.. My girl went through trouble with the asswipes over it.

I've had a card assigned to my account for 3 years and have yet to be charged for a month of Live. When my Gold ran out before I could buy another card, it simply bumped me down to Silver.

InfamousVuk
04-03-2011, 06:17 PM
M$ is the Devil.

Although, sometimes it's good to be bad, but its bad to be M$.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/Vukkie/image00222.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/Vukkie/image00333.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/Vukkie/image00444.jpg

Emirates Snake
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I've had a card assigned to my account for 3 years and have yet to be charged for a month of Live. When my Gold ran out before I could buy another card, it simply bumped me down to Silver.
ok good for you.. me and the others who've seen the problem are obviously lying !!!

Worhammer
04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
ok good for you.. me and the others who've seen the problem are obviously lying !!!
Yup, obviously.

Auto-renew never turned itself on for me until I purchased Gold time with my card. THEN it turned on - which makes sense.

Kunduz
04-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Yup, obviously.

Auto-renew never turned itself on for me until I purchased Gold time with my card. THEN it turned on - which makes sense.same thing happend to me, sneaky Microsoft :(

Gun-Nut
04-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Just to clarify auto renew will only turn on when you purchase Gold via a card! I must have spent 2-3 years using a card for points but buying a code for LIVE on Amazon never tried to take money from the card assigned to my account.

I believe accounts do get suspended when auto renew is on and there is no card or the payment does not go through I believe the only way to get auto renew turned off is to call up Xbox Support now! It use to be on Xbox.com but since the redesign it seems to be missing.

Telexen
04-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Do you see black helicopters too?

And why in the world would someone go to Gamestop or any other website and pay, for example, $19.99 for a 1600 MS point code when they can get the EXACT same price without getting off their couch? If you can get a good deal - fine...but some of you do some really weird crap.

Deviantelf
04-04-2011, 02:43 AM
No they do this automatically..

They DON'T do this automatically. They've got my credit card info, but I've only used cards/codes for Live. It always asks me before it expires if I want to set it to Auto-Renew, and I say no. No problems at all. I usually am silver for a few days before renewing the Gold with card/code.

SwampertTheGreat
04-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Can you cancel the auto-renew once they put it on though?

StillTIPPIN187
04-04-2011, 04:15 AM
They DON'T do this automatically. They've got my credit card info, but I've only used cards/codes for Live. It always asks me before it expires if I want to set it to Auto-Renew, and I say no. No problems at all. I usually am silver for a few days before renewing the Gold with card/code.

Lol, It was done automatically for us.

She had 2 months left of a 3 month prepaid card.. added her card for XBL avatar purchases.. as soon as the current 3 month prepaid card ended.. we got an email about a confimation for 3 month purchase.

We then tried taking it off and they wouldn't allow it till the time expired.. we were then charged another 3 months after that..

Rung up MS again and they said ok fine, We will take of auto renewal but the credit card has to stay.. which is all we wanted in the first place!!

but at that point we wanted the whole damn card off. but they wouldn't alow that.. it still on that account to this day.

I will continue using Ebay from now on for buying my prepaid gold codes. =]

Foxxy kyle
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Well I had my dads Credit card in mine and it expired and my account is perfectly fine.

hydrosugar
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM

thats exactly what happened to me. i signed up for 3 months, and it felt like the gold was lasting longer than that, but i didnt take much notice. that was until they suspended my account. apparently the credit card i was using wasnt valid, even though the bank said it was. they renewed without notifacation at one month rrp prices.

after [B]several[B] calls and calling back, the problem being fixed only to stuff up 3 days later, and M$ demanding more money i was finally allowed to log back on to the benefits of a silver live account

well thank you M$ how generous of you. but seriously if they suspend you for auto renewal related reasons you cant even access silver

Vindicator51
04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I've always bought codes from elsewhere, and it's much cheaper too.

Worhammer
04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Lol, It was done automatically for us.

She had 2 months left of a 3 month prepaid card.. added her card for XBL avatar purchases.. as soon as the current 3 month prepaid card ended.. we got an email about a confimation for 3 month purchase.

We then tried taking it off and they wouldn't allow it till the time expired.. we were then charged another 3 months after that..

Rung up MS again and they said ok fine, We will take of auto renewal but the credit card has to stay.. which is all we wanted in the first place!!

but at that point we wanted the whole damn card off. but they wouldn't alow that.. it still on that account to this day.

I will continue using Ebay from now on for buying my prepaid gold codes. =]
By law they aren't allowed to force you to leave your credit card info on there. So I call shenanigans on you, sir.

Also, I call shenanigans because I just called to re-do my subscription stuff. I had taken advantage of the 2 year XBL deal back in october...I realized it wasn't such a great deal (it's only like 15% off per year or something like that) and saw that they are currently doing a 33% off a year deal (comes out to like $35 for the year) so I called them TWO DAYS before the two year deal was set to renew. They canceled the two year deal, and gave me the deal I wanted. It was really easy and the guy was friendly, which surprised me cause all my other dealings with MS Phone support have been with stupid people who were clearly reading off a script.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
whys this so difficult for people

having a card on your account wont get charged anything.

If you buy points etc it will just take that money from you

if you buy gold it will have an auto renew on it

if you remove your details and you havent asked for the auto renew to stop then when its time to pay and your card isn't there they will suspend your account until it is payed.

So to summarise if you want to have a card on your account for points your not going to get charged anything else. And although stupid you can cancel auto renew if you buy gold to avoid any other problems.

Bsoid
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Mine says Microsoft *XBOX LI BIL*

Snowwwwy
04-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Whats it matter haha? Are you trying to hide it from your parents?

H0p3sfalL
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
kinda wish i didnt but my card info on the dash......... Well i still have a year to go before i worry about this. But thanks for the food for thought.

Flyn Dutchmn
04-07-2011, 03:59 PM
My renewal is coming up next month.

The CC that it was setup with is still on my XBOX LIVE Account, but has been cancelled.

I do have another CC on the account that I currently use for MS points.

My question is if the auto-renewal is ON but the CC that it's setup with is cancelled, do they switch to the other CC for a payment method or suspend you/cancel gold?

I wanted to let it expire, and wait for a solid deal on gold before I sign up to pay with a CC. Until a good deal shows up, I'll go on 3 month Prepaid codes.

Worhammer
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
There's a pretty decent deal right now, a year for 40$ or something like that. I know it's 33% off. Considering a 3 month card is like 20 bucks.....You buy 2 of those, you've already paid for your year. :P

gamerguy69
04-08-2011, 01:37 AM
I've never had any problems with buying points ONLY with a credit card while having my Account on non-renewal status when my Gold time has expired.

niko da bos
04-08-2011, 07:37 PM
whys this so difficult for people
if you buy gold it will have an auto renew on it

if you remove your details and you havent asked for the auto renew to stop then when its time to pay and your card isn't there they will suspend your account until it is payed.

well i usually just buy the year live around jan 1st. recently put my credit card on my xbox so i could do netflix, and i started to get my MS points from the card also. so when my LIVE expires in january, they will automatically charge me for another year? i figured they would prompt me that my live has expired, and ask me if a had one of those codes/or wanted to buy another year.

gamerguy69
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
well i usually just buy the year live around jan 1st. recently put my credit card on my xbox so i could do netflix, and i started to get my MS points from the card also. so when my LIVE expires in january, they will automatically charge me for another year? i figured they would prompt me that my live has expired, and ask me if a had one of those codes/or wanted to buy another year.

Why did you need to have your card on file to do Netflix? :confused: Netflix is separate and apart from Xbox LIVE so you could have just gone and purchased membership directly from Netflix -- canceling/suspending from there (online) is way easier too.

I've had Netflix on my Xbox for just a few months at a time all the while having my Xbox account on Gold, of course.

Worhammer
04-09-2011, 02:39 AM
If you pay for one year of live with your credit card, unless you call and cancel, you WILL BE CHARGED for another year the day that your current membership expires. This is auto-renew, and it is something that they automatically turn on for you as soon as you pay for gold time with your CC.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-09-2011, 10:31 AM

if you bought a prepaid card for live and just have a credit card on your tag then you wont auto renew. it will just say its expiring soon and do you want to buy more.

they only have the auto renew on if you purchase the live straight from your credit card.

Whitybear
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM
I was dumb enough to give them my info too. I only did it because there was a deal on the dashboard for additional points. Once I get my points, I will invest several hours on the phone to get it off auto-renewal.

Snowwwwy
04-14-2011, 12:41 AM
I was dumb enough to give them my info too. I only did it because there was a deal on the dashboard for additional points. Once I get my points, I will invest several hours on the phone to get it off auto-renewal.
I never put anything on auto renewal. Screw that for a joke lol.

_DoTTeR_
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

It's actually in the TOS, and if the card isn't active they will email/message you.

_DoTTeR_
04-14-2011, 10:07 AM
By law they aren't allowed to force you to leave your credit card info on there. So I call shenanigans on you, sir.

Also, I call shenanigans because I just called to re-do my subscription stuff. I had taken advantage of the 2 year XBL deal back in october...I realized it wasn't such a great deal (it's only like 15% off per year or something like that) and saw that they are currently doing a 33% off a year deal (comes out to like $35 for the year) so I called them TWO DAYS before the two year deal was set to renew. They canceled the two year deal, and gave me the deal I wanted. It was really easy and the guy was friendly, which surprised me cause all my other dealings with MS Phone support have been with stupid people who were clearly reading off a script.

Required to read off portions of the scripts. The better the agent the less robotic it sounds, however there are portions the CCP are required to read. I'd say more but yeah.

Alpine Access is now partners with MSFT and it's all in country so no more outsourcing.

Worhammer
04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Required to read off portions of the scripts. The better the agent the less robotic it sounds, however there are portions the CCP are required to read. I'd say more but yeah.

Alpine Access is now partners with MSFT and it's all in country so no more outsourcing.
Yes, I understand that they're required to read the script. But some obviously are only mentally capable of reading that script and nothing more, and others are able to read the script AND actually help you at the same time.

Like you said, the better the agent, the less of a robot they are.

gamerguy69
04-14-2011, 08:25 PM
I have to wonder when people create their Xbox Profiles directly on the 360, if they are duped into providing their CC number when they come across this screen:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3681/img1816dd.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/img1816dd.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I have always selected the NO option and I have NEVER gone back to add payment info. The account will simply revert to Silver at the end of your FREE 1-month Gold trial or pre-paid term (per subscription card) you activated.

You are NOT required to put your payment info. :)

Worhammer
04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I have to wonder when people create their Xbox Profiles directly on the 360, if they are duped into providing their CC number when they come across this screen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I have always selected the NO option and I have NEVER gone back to add payment info. The account will simply revert to Silver at the end of your FREE 1-month Gold trial or pre-paid term (per subscription card) you activated.

You are NOT required to put your payment info. :)
If you are duped, it's your own fault. This is a common practice, not just from MS but from pretty much every company that offers any sort of subscription ever. The "auto renew" thing, that is.

Darth Swifty
04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I just always buy the Cards at Walmart, GF works there, Get a discount :woop:

Plus I am one of those paranoid types, so I don't want my CC info online. I do have a seperate bank account I use for Online, I just don't keep anything more than $1.00 in it, Unless I buy something from Amazon or wherever, then I transfer $$ into it.

niko da bos
04-15-2011, 04:18 PM
if you bought a prepaid card for live and just have a credit card on your tag then you wont auto renew. it will just say its expiring soon and do you want to buy more.

they only have the auto renew on if you purchase the live straight from your credit card.

ahh, perfecto. i bought my card from gamestop for the 1year live :P. actually its not that big of a deal i suppose. they can take the money, its not like im planning on switching to playstation lmao