PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here get annoyed with achievements sometimes?

Daunting Lady
04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Before achievements where around I often played a game, completed it and then either moved on or kept the game to play again another time. A competed game to me was playing through once (or more than once if I liked it) and getting to the end. But now with achievements all that has changed.

Donít get me wrong I enjoy collecting achievements and they do add a lot of replay value to my games, but every once in a while I do get annoyed with achievements.

For example games are no longer complete until all achievements are achieved rather than just playing through to the end. I strive to get as many achievements as I can. After I play through the story once, itís a big effort to play through again unless it was a really good game. Additionally skill comes into achievement hunting. There are some achievements I just canít get no matter how hard I keep trying. There are collectables which can be a pain but are easier with a little help from this site. Then there are the achievements which consist of grinding for hours on end. Not to mention the games that are just complete rubbish which I started but I cant see it through to the end.

I get really OCD over my game card and I hate to see uncompleted games, yet sometimes I just canít do it or I canít be bothered with it. I have games in my gaming collection that sit there gathering dust because I have a few achievements missing but I canít get them for one reason or another. Every now and then I pop one of those games in my Xbox and try again, sometimes I unlock something but most of the time I donít.

Do you get annoyed with achievements sometimes, or are those tricky achievements all part of the fun?

Starstrukk X360A
04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I consider achievements to be something extra, and not required when I play a game.
I used to be like "Oh hey, I have to get every single one" but then I realized, I actually don't have to.

newbsicle
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
The only thing that annoys me about achievements are poor descriptions and collectible achievements. I could really do without finding 1000 of whatever in a video game if it doesn't unlock anything but an achievement.

balance13
04-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I still consider beating a game completing it. Achievements are just an added bonus for me.

Othrelo
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I get annoyed with it as well sometimes... when I think ive completed a game I don't feel that degree of satisfaction if I haven't gotten all the achievments along with it now

I AsevenX I
04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I love getting all the achievements. Way more than just playing through a story... campaigns are just so generic. Go here...shoot this guy...go here..plant a bomb....

Foxxy kyle
04-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm Sure alot of people get bored with those Collecting achievements that just get obnoxious after to many. Like in Fable 3..Wayyy to many collectibles!

jgahagan
04-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm definitely getting a little tired of them but then again, they don't affect the way I play so I guess I'm not too bothered. I've always played the games I wanted and the GS has just come 'naturally'. But I've decided that I would rather have unlockables in-game (like costumes/weapons etc) than a number that means nothing.

It might just be me, but I feel that there's not enough unlockables to encourage me to beat a game in a certain way or on a harder difficulty, all I'd get is an achievement and it's starting to wear thin. That's why I love games like RE5, there's plenty of stuff to unlock and keep me playing. Dead Space 2 also had some neat unlocks.

Agent Aero
04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah i get pissed off with achievements that i can't get, the one that's bugging me at the moment are the crazy taxi ones, as well as one in NBA Ballers which i think has glitched on me.

Vindicator51
04-03-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm reconsidering gold on all events in Career for Baja: Edge of Control. Some of those events is just beyond me, and the learning curve for the game isn't easy.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I used t o do all the hunting for secrets and items and getting top times in games anyway. So no i dont get annoyed by them. They just add an icon to the things i would have usually done.

guillermo316
04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Been in this site 4 two years, dejavu of questions sometimes makes me think do i even remenber playing games without achievements, its like with everything in life you forget until your like well no i dont remenber.

A CorpseMess
04-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Bottom line:
Don't let achievements control your life or let them decide what game you're playing. I know having OCD about things can be frustrating most of the time, but you also have to set a limit as to how far you are willing to go.

I get the achievements that I can be bothered with, in my case I don't care much about online achievements in general and therefore I simply don't bother with them. Only if I like the game enough or find the online achievements do-able then I'll do them.

If it's to any help, I stopped playing The Sims 3 and Mass Effect 1 along with a few other games simply because I was bored out of my mind with them.

And sure I think about them sometimes, "Hmm should I give Mass Effect 1 one more chance or... What about Sims 3..." But really, it all comes down to you.

Reason why I didn't enjoy the first Mass Effect was because it's slow paced, combat is dull, and the quests are just not very... good. And beating the game 3 times and the same quests to get the ally achievements doesn't help much either.

I've given Mass Effect 1 alot of patience, I've tried to make myself enjoy it but I just can't. And after having played it for 10+ hours I don't think giving it a 4th chance is gonna change my mind.

InfamousVuk
04-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Gotta unlock em all, Gotta unlock em all!

Some achieves can be a pain in the ass, and they will get to me one way or another.
When that happens, I just put that game aside and get back to it after beating few others.

smoggie09
04-04-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm reconsidering gold on all events in Career for Baja: Edge of Control. Some of those events is just beyond me, and the learning curve for the game isn't easy.
I didn't think that I'd complete this game, and like you say it isn't easy, but I stuck with it and got 1000G. I'd say keep trying with it, I'm sure you will get there in the end.

IPTC
04-04-2011, 04:45 AM
I hate the achievements that you have to do something a certain way or it won't unlock. It makes me rage, lol.

Peck8541
04-04-2011, 06:04 AM
I have to agree with you, Lady, achievements get extremely annoying depending on what they ask for.

I love doing achievements, something that makes me get a little more use out of my game before I just head right back up to GameStop to get rid of it. It's an extra dimension that I like to give a bit of a challenge and do things a wouldn't normally do.

Some games however, in my opinion, just create achievements to make you have to play through them even if you think the game is absolutely not good at all. My current example of this is Homefront. I know, I know, before I get flamed all over the board by fanboys saying the same thing, "It's better than COD," let me explain. Homefront multiplayer isn't good. Plain and simple, the entire game isn't very good. Last-generation graphics, poor aiming friction and bad multiplayer destroy the game for me. The achievements they put in the game to have you rise to level 50, which is easy but boring if you just sit around with a Parrot drone the whole game, along with completely the expert challenges for EVERY weapon in multiplayer. I am sorry but you're out of your mind, there's about five weapons for each type of class excluding Sniper Rifles and each expect challenge is 200 kills. Might not be a lot to some people but when you play Homefront, with the absolutely horrible "dedicated servers" that never allow you to be anything over a yellow status connection, that's tough to do without just grinding along mindlessly for however long. It's not fun. Furthermore, these online achievements become unavailable after a few years when they shut down the servers for online play and if you pick up the game later on, you can't even complete them.

I don't believe multiplayer sessions should have achievements, not everyone has a Gold membership to play online and not everybody wants to play bad multiplayer. They should be spent somewhere else in the game rather than basically being fillers because the developer couldn't find something else to do in their product.

[/rant]

Yes, online achievements annoy me. See above for details. ;)

Andreas_loel
04-04-2011, 06:20 AM
No ofcourse not achievements dont have any impact ever...

katesith
04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Yea because with certain achievements like collectables are really annoying and I end up trying to go just for the achievements and spend hours trying to get them. For some reason I use to be able to do it with things like Kingdom Hearts or anything else. But glitched achievements are the worse because you will end up spending plenty of time trying to get it just for it not to unlock.

The Sea Trout
04-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I dont let achievements get to me like that to be honest.

I am happy just to sit and complete a game, any achievments I unlock on the way are a bonus. If I have nothing else to play then I will maybe sit down and play a game and pick off some achievements that I missed but i dont that very often.

Jaxk9214
04-04-2011, 07:43 AM
depends if you are a perfectionist... i've not gone all the way through some games or restarted some games cuz i missed an item before so missing achievements annoy me haha

ahchap
04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
yes, everyone gets frustrated from time to time at achievements, but its only natural because like you said some of them are jus brainless grinding or jus searching for collectables but in all i think it jus makes games last longer to = )

SubG3nius
04-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Achievements are a bonus, but yeah, glitched achievements that don't unlock when they are suppossed to is annoying, but that is all.

hydrosugar
04-04-2011, 08:23 AM
acheivements in general dont bother me, its just online ones that get to me.

with offline, ill get them if they add to the experience not take away from it

e.g went for 1000g in naruto uns 2, happy with 120g in eternal sonata because i didnt wanna play with a guide.

timmeh9
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Very much so. They can be extremely frustrating and tiresome, especially with the time consuming ones. They do add an extra element to the games thougha As the OP stated, I too used to just finish the game and move on. I think the blog in my signature really shows how I feel about achievements though.

NinjaBeast
04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
I enjoy getting achievements but half the time the really get on my nerves, and I feel like giving up. But that is the exact reason why I collect them, because of the challenge that comes along with them.

Deadly Moves
04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
The only time acheevs annoy me is when there awkward online/MP acheevs

Seraph Xii
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I hate achievements lol I love the sense of accomplishment though.
Some achievements though annoy me more than others: collectibles, "luck" achievements (currently the black ops zombie achievements, damn chest...) achievements where you need to rely on other players and multiplayer achievements.

Sometimes they spoil games too, black ops for instance (the last game I played, so a lot of examples from that lol) the intel, I was using a video for and it was just SPOILER oh so clarke dies? Mmkay and such. But if I didn't use a video it'd mean multiple playthroughs.

niko da bos
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I hate achievements lol I love the sense of accomplishment though.
Some achievements though annoy me more than others: collectibles, "luck" achievements (currently the black ops zombie achievements, damn chest...) achievements where you need to rely on other players and multiplayer achievements.

Sometimes they spoil games too, black ops for instance (the last game I played, so a lot of examples from that lol) the intel, I was using a video for and it was just SPOILER oh so clarke dies? Mmkay and such. But if I didn't use a video it'd mean multiple playthroughs.

feel your pain, i hate when i use a guide or video and they dont label spoilers. recently tryed to find some info on red dead redemption, like what stranger locations i was missing and such.
SPOILER
and found some thread titled "will my stats carry over after john marston dies?" really? thanks for ruining the ending

Baylor05
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree with what the OP said.

I love the replay value and sense of satisfaction achievements can bring to a game.

However, there are definitely times I wish achievements didn't exist so I could move onto another game. For example those stupid Claptrap achievements will have me playing Borderlands for far longer than I otherwise would in ordrer to max out the gamerscore. It isn't enough that I've already played through that DLC a couple of times. Now thanks to achievements I have to grind out the last few points.

OhBetty
04-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I guess sometimes the things that annoy you are the things that annoy everyone else.. :P

Peck8541
04-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I am a perfectionist so when I have to deal with things like online achievements, I get really frustrated. Pretty much all of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 achievements are online and I can't stand the game.

Stupid games! Down with the douchbagery! :)

Exodus Traps
04-05-2011, 02:28 AM
I dont mind them but I do get annoyed that they are not always what they are supposed to be, "achievements." i'd like them to be a representation of an uncommon accomplishment. i dont think its proper to have achievements that require you to stay idle for a period of time or commit suicide in a specific way or by simply navigating menus because those things are NOT achievements.