PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter if your achievements are time stamped or not?

A CorpseMess
04-04-2011, 04:33 AM
I had it all planned out right, I was clearing my cache of updates so I could use the XP glitch for Fallout: New Vegas.

But of course I forgot to save right before I hit the 50 speech challenges achievement so I could install the update again and get it time stamped which annoys me right now. And I know nothing can be done about it either.

So my question is, does it even matter if your achievements are time stamped or not other than being a personal matter?

It just kinda looks stupid. lol but I have myself to thank for that. :mad:

scarface
04-04-2011, 04:37 AM
As long as all your online achievements are time stamped, then you've got nothing to worry about.

I do agree with you about having some time stamped and some not looking stupid.

Blasphemy
04-04-2011, 04:41 AM
The only achievements that NEED to be time stamped are online achievements i.e. Wanted in GTA IV. A big way people identify cheaters is if their achievements that have to be earned in online gameplay don't have time stamps. If it is a single player achievement, don't worry about it. I HATE not having time stamps but sometimes it happens.

DragonsGoMOO
04-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Of course it matters.

To you, or to some random person, or friends.

It shows that you did it. Sometimes, it'll be legit, others it won't be.

"Ooh, look update. *google* if I do this, I can't glitch it...." but yeah, it kinda expose you if you don't have timestamp, but more often than not, you can't prove anything.

I prefer to be timestamped, because I like to look back and see when I did it, ya know?

McGoogles
04-04-2011, 04:51 AM
All of my achievements are time stamped except for "Tenpenny Tower" for Fallout 3. My connection was acting strange that day and was disconnecting me at random times. I took the risk of playing through a quest but not finishing it. As I entered the final building for the quest, I was about to save the game, but it happened to unlock even though I hadn't watched the cutscenes and what not yet.

So yes, they do matter to me. Even the offline achievements.

Starstrukk X360A
04-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Personally, it does. It just bugs the hell out of me if I don't have it.

A CorpseMess
04-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Of course it matters.

To you, or to some random person, or friends.

It shows that you did it. Sometimes, it'll be legit, others it won't be.

"Ooh, look update. *google* if I do this, I can't glitch it...." but yeah, it kinda expose you if you don't have timestamp, but more often than not, you can't prove anything.

I prefer to be timestamped, because I like to look back and see when I did it, ya know?

What do you mean sometimes it will be legit? Using a glitch in a game is not cheating in any way. Some might disagree on that but I'm simply taking advantage of it.

I could simply have saved right before the achievement unlocked and installed the patches again and it would have been time stamped, how'd you know I hadn't been using a glitch then?

Just because most/all of your offline achievements are time stamped does not mean they were earned in a "legitimate way".

No need to make the game any harder/frustrating when there's a glitch right in front of your eyes. ;)

I also know the saying: Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. But I choose the route of advantage.

All my online achievements are time stamped of course. I was simply wondering if it really mattered with offline achievements. It just annoys me right now, if only I had saved right at 49 speeches... -___-

DragonsGoMOO
04-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Forced glitch, or abusing glitches, to get achievements. Usually cheating, kind of like glitching your team so you can't get shot by the other team, and you get an achievement for getting 5 win streaks in a row. That's what I meant.

katesith
04-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Basically its all a personal preference unless you are looking for hackers and whatnot. I basically look at it like if you don't have it on a single player achievement then you were not on your xbox or shit happened with your internet.

A CorpseMess
04-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Forced glitch, or abusing glitches, to get achievements. Usually cheating, kind of like glitching your team so you can't get shot by the other team, and you get an achievement for getting 5 win streaks in a row. That's what I meant.

Since it's a single player game only, I don't see any harm in doing it.

Jaxk9214
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
as long as you go online before you recover your account or something then you won't lose the achievements... else you'll have to do them again when you recover.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
i wouldnt worry about it i have a bunch of offline achievements for games where it sometimes loses connection to live but doesnt make it obvious until you go to message someone.

That can only happen in offline achievements so i dont see it as a problem

Agent Aero
04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
As said before the only achievements that need to be timestamped are multiplayer ones, not just split-screen but ones that require XBL.

Most of my achievements are unlocked offline, just because my wireless adapter doesn't always connect to LIVE right away and if i don't need to be online, i usually won't bother.

If i'm playing a game which i'm really in to then numerous notifications about people coming online seems to ruin the atmosphere.

/Life story.

hydrosugar
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
i had them all timestamped at the start, but now i have heaps that aren't. its for 3 main reasons

right now(been this way for a few months) ive got a one ethernet port modem, so i have to choose between live and pc internet, and i usually choose the latter.

also up until recently i had silver for a while, so there wasnt really that much of a reason to be online

also i couldnt even access live silver for a while because of problems with auto renewal

i guess its a good thing it doesnt really bother me then:p

DaChiefOfOwnage
04-04-2011, 10:33 AM
What pisses me off the most is my internet disconnecting, so I go do something to pass the time while it restarts, then I forget to connect to Xbox LIVE and go on playing offline.

Then when I get an achievement I'm like "Oh shit... I'm not online!"

dakisbac
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
What pisses me off the most is my internet disconnecting, so I go do something to pass the time while it restarts, then I forget to connect to Xbox LIVE and go on playing offline.

Then when I get an achievement I'm like "Oh shit... I'm not online!"

This. Half the time I lose connection I'm too busy in-game to pause it and reconnect, and I quickly forget to.

VladimirK
04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
What's the point of an achievement if you don't actually achieve it?

What's the point of an achievement even if you do actually achieve it?
/nihilism :p

As for the timestamps, it's purely a personal thing.
Bugs me a little if I have all but 1 timestamped, for example but it's not like MS will reprimand you for not having all timestamps. (Although, one thing it might help with is when the gamerscore gets pretty big, timestamps could possibly prevent a few of the moronic, "OMG! U must hav hackedddd!!!!", messages that you hear about.)

JDMBO1
04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
I say "meh" with date stamps on achievements basically, because no one is going to know what you did during that time, and it's all pure speculation on the onlooker. While it might be nice it's just something to set a reminder to yourself when you got it, now if your a hardcore gamer or someone that worked on a hard ass achievement, then I could see that having a date stamp wouldn't be bad. Overall while I think no one should care about a date stamp, it can mean something to others.

Vindicator51
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I have offline achievements as well, because LIVE disconnects me sometimes. I need to restart the console then, but it does happen that i forget it.

RadiantViper
04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I try to avoid them now but it really doesn't matter too me. As mentioned above, the 'disconnecting then don't notice/forget to reconnect, then gain an achievement' thing happens a fair amount to me. I also have a bunch of offline achievements from before I had XBL. So I can live with them.

If possible, I try to get another achievement online on the same day so then I can just be 100% sure of what day I got the offline one. Weird but it's nice to know, for some reason :p

ahchap
04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
i remember when i first noticed this feature and i tought it was really cool but then it jus stopped workin and has not worked for about a year and a half lol

AmbaLaBamba
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
As long as my online achievements are time stamped I don't really care, sometimes I can't get a decent connection on my Xbox so instead of messages telling me I have been disconnected from XBL I just disconnect myself and play as is.

I don't cheat and I know I don't cheat, so if someone thinks otherwise I can just flip the bird and continue with what I'm doing.

Online achievements with a time stamp are a must though. A must.

Mongolian Beef
04-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it bugs me, especially because I have shitty comcrapstic internet.

Basically what DaChiefOfOwnage and dakisbak said.

spyder2g
04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
When I first started gettin into my 360 a few years ago I was never online and didn't really understand why anybody would want to be. If you look through my played games you can see that I started to get achievements online sporadically, more and more until 99% of mine were earned online.

Now it seems like everybody is so worried about being labeled a cheater that the best way to avoid it is to get all your achievements timestamped. If you personally don't care then play 'em offline all you want - hell you could even hide all your games played and just display your overall score.

spyder2g
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
i remember when i first noticed this feature and i tought it was really cool but then it jus stopped workin and has not worked for about a year and a half lol

If you check your achievements on Xbox.com you can see that dates that you unlocked them, well as long as you were online when you get them of course. :)

Seraph Xii
04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I have plenty without timestamps, just because I'm without internet for a short period, I'm not gonna stop playing games too due to the risk of some moron assuming it's not legit.

Edit: This is especially true with some Orange box achievements I have, since some TF2 achievements can be gained alone using system link.

And for the "glitching or no glitching" debate, who cares? The amount of people on this site that has glitched L4D and you're criticizing this guy? Pfft.

leeingham
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
What happens to people without Xbox live? all of my recent achievements (see other thread about moving) all come with no time stamp as I dont have any connection what so ever. It annoys me that some do and some dont but hey what can you do!

Spoony Bard
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I like my first and last Achievements from any game to have the stamp so I can know how long it took to complete, but beyond that don't care.

Deadly Moves
04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
I prefer to have a stamp on them, mainly bcos it pretty much proves there legit. i do have a few offline bcos my internet used to be really unreliable and it used to disconnect me all the time. Also when i took my xbox to friends houses and couldnt connect to xbl. But i know all my acheevs are legit, so i dont worry about the very small mumber of acheevs that dont have a stamp. I havent got an offline acheevs for months n months now.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
04-04-2011, 05:05 PM
well about legit or not if you hack your achievements you can add timestamps. so it doesnt really prove you are legit or not unless he hacker forgets to timestamp online achievements.

spyder2g
04-04-2011, 07:30 PM
well about legit or not if you hack your achievements you can add timestamps. so it doesnt really prove you are legit or not unless he hacker forgets to timestamp online achievements.

True but you would have to put the stamps the correct amount of time apart so it doesn't show that you got the achievement for ten headshots the same exact time as the one for getting 1000. At that point it would take less time to get em legit.

Dale Norris
04-04-2011, 07:59 PM
i do love having my achievement's time stamped as it looks good

irJessica
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm insane so I like all my achievements to be timestamped.
I lost my connection whilst in a battle in ME2 then got an achievement. It's the only one I have in that game that isn't time stamped and it really annoys me.

KeepEmRolling
04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I would prefer them time stamped, but I live in the country and occasionally lose my internet and will play whether I'm online or not.

Foxxy kyle
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
What does Time stamped mean? lol...

TuMaBlAcK
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I honestly don't like the time stamps that's why the only ones that have it for me are the ones that have to be done online.

DaChiefOfOwnage
04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
What does Time stamped mean? lol...

When the achievement displays what date you achieved it on.

Cringer85
04-05-2011, 02:00 AM
I worry more about the timestamps of my completed games: showing when I have completed it and the order. That said, I hate it when people are asking me to help them in a game that I had completed like 2 years ago. I want to keep the order for, when I go down memory lane and have a look at my 150+ completed games. It's silly, I know - but still.

Other than that, I have way too unreliable internet connection, often disconnecting me randomly - this means, I am often disconnect after grabbing some water from the kitchen or something.. coming back and getting an achievement, realising that it's not timestamped. I hated it for some time, but there is just nothing I can do about it, so I just don't mind anymore about that.

The probably best timestamp for me is for Harry Potter OOTP. I got all achievements but two of them 2 years ago with timestamps. Got the last two finally two years later with timestamps! :D

Tyrion619
04-05-2011, 04:51 AM
What happens to people without Xbox live? all of my recent achievements (see other thread about moving) all come with no time stamp as I dont have any connection what so ever. It annoys me that some do and some dont but hey what can you do!

I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, I'd rather have the time stamp on my achievements.

However, like people have said already, as long as the online achievements are time stamped, then you don't have anything to worry about.

It sometimes can't be helped to have offline achievements with no time stamps due to either A) no internet or B) spotty internet connection (like mine).

I have a number of achievements that were earned offline with no time stamps. Benefits of a shitty wireless connection. Shit happens though.

Chipsonfire
04-05-2011, 05:00 AM
I personally hate it when my achievements aren't time stamped. I like to know when I got an achievement, not just what it was.

alpha17
04-05-2011, 05:03 AM
On some trivial one I don't care but on more legit ones I like to, then again I like the time stamp since it lets me know when I started the game, and when I finish it I'll have an idea of how long it took me to finish it, so overall I like time stamps.

sak7395
04-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I have quite a few achievements without time stamps but thats when I have no internet access.

As long as their not online its cool

wexnlex
04-06-2011, 12:36 AM
I do not like achievements that are not time-stamped. I've been known to instantly delete my profile and recover it then earn the same achievement again. Actually did it last night after finally finishing the bowling level thing on Crazy Taxi.

Kairi
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't HAVE to have timestamps, but I prefer to have then so I know when I got my achievements n.n

GrUnTxSKaTeR
04-06-2011, 07:19 PM
It doesn't really matter for me. I know that I unlocked the achievement without cheating. I doubt anyone would even ever be that interested with my account to check and see if they are timestamped. The only time mine wouldn't be timestamped would be if my internet was down so its not really an issue for me.

LawlCake1214
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
It doesn't bother me if my achievements are timestamped or not. Usually I look at it after I unlocked it and never bother to look at it again. I already know I have it so why look again?

Venomized
04-07-2011, 02:02 AM
this is what ya get for glitching =p

Muhnamana
04-07-2011, 02:27 AM
They matter to me know than when I first started playing the Xbox. So there are a half dozen or so earned offline but the majority of mine have time stamps.

DresdenDil
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I never had XBL for the first year so a lot my achievements do not have time stamps, but I definately prefer them stamped

TimmyJohn
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't give a crap about timestamps, but I can't see why the 360 couldn't just use the system's inbuilt clock to artificially timestamp cheevos earned offline. Although I suppose that negates the fact it can be helpful in identifying cheaters.

xXPYR0K1LL3RXx
04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
So my question is, does it even matter if your achievements are time stamped or not other than being a personal matter?

It just kinda looks stupid. lol but I have myself to thank for that. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Velx
04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I actually have a few games with achieves not time stamped. The reason being that certain patches messed things up to the point that I had to clear cache in order to complete certain tasks. Any attempt to play with my internet even connected would require me to reinstall the patch so I was forced to play offline and therefor end up with unstamped achievements. One example that I can think of is the flags in Assassins Creed I -- I went over and over and over the map looking for the one flag I was missing. It wasn't until I cleared my cache and played offline that the previously invisible flag showed back up.