PDA

View Full Version : Ping....hole an iron shot!

Philip1979
04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
I can't get this mofo! I've got a hole-in-one and a chip in with an Ping iron and i never got this sponsor challenge!

Really starting to annoy me now as my stats are high and most par 4's are a driver and wedge; need to start using a 3-wood or 2 iron off the tee!

Loving the game and think its one off the best ones to date!

timmerman916
04-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Make sure that you have the sponsorship equipped and the ping irons. Also with the way your driving is maybe try missing the green a bit and then chip in with an iron

Stewie Griffin2
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I hear ya. I'm even more frustrated that you though. I've holed out with a pitching wedge and for whatever reason it doesn't consider that an iron for the challenge, even though it is an iron and not a wedge. Hell, even they know it's an iron. Look at where it's at when you adjust what clubs you've got in your bag!

POS challenge. The good news is, once I hole out with it I'll have level 4, because I've already completed 14/15 objectives for Ping.

Philip1979
04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Make sure that you have the sponsorship equipped and the ping irons. Also with the way your driving is maybe try missing the green a bit and then chip in with an iron
I've already chiped in with a 7 ping iron and it didn't seem to count!

Gave up on that one for the mean time i'm working on the Nike ones! ;)

Stewie Griffin2
04-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Okay, Phil, I just did it. I started my tournament (it was on Celtic Manor, but the course doesn't really matter) and on the first hole hit my tee shot. Then, I took a legit crack at sinking an approach. When that didn't fall, I putted the ball the the fringe, with the flattest approach to the pin and chipped. Rinse and repeat until you get it, and if you don't, just save and quit and restart.

Philip1979
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Cheers for that info; i pressume you used the likes of a 7-iron for the chip in?

ajennice
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
the 5th ( or so) hole at Emerald dragon is best for this..
If the pin is up front, the green slopes wildly back to you. JUst spins the ball back off the green and try the chip.. if you miss long yuo may get lucky and have it go in onthe way back down the hill.
Good thing about this hole is you can use 1 drive, 1 approach and 8 attempts before having to save/restart

Philip1979
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
It was just typical; i was trying to get some eagles on par 5's and low and behold i held my 3rd shot with Ping iron and got the sponsor challenge! lol

Trash Man
04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
the 5th ( or so) hole at Emerald dragon is best for this..
If the pin is up front, the green slopes wildly back to you. JUst spins the ball back off the green and try the chip.. if you miss long yuo may get lucky and have it go in onthe way back down the hill.
Good thing about this hole is you can use 1 drive, 1 approach and 8 attempts before having to save/restart

What course is that hole on? Or is that the name of the course, if so I can't find it.

Do the sponsor challenges have to be done on the tour? Or can they be on in quickplay as well?

CanuckLefty
04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
They indeed need to be from the Sponsor Challenge in Road To The Masters.

Trash Man
04-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Stupid question but how do I change my club selection? It's only letting me pick from a PW, SW or LW.

I've already chipping in with a PW and it never unlocked.

sharkfanmi
04-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Okay, Phil, I just did it. I started my tournament (it was on Celtic Manor, but the course doesn't really matter) and on the first hole hit my tee shot. Then, I took a legit crack at sinking an approach. When that didn't fall, I putted the ball the the fringe, with the flattest approach to the pin and chipped. Rinse and repeat until you get it, and if you don't, just save and quit and restart.

I sank a 9-iron chip with this method and it didn't unlock for me. What club did you use?

billjones0302
04-13-2011, 05:14 AM
This challenge is terrible. I have attempted this many, many times. I constantly slide by the cup when hitting from the fairway. Tried doing it with a chip shot (8-iron as the game will only give me a 5, 6, or 8?) with no luck as I tend to hit the ball way too hard. I guess I just need to be more patient. I put this down and am focusing on Nike now. Once I complete Nike and get the Ping issue done, I will have all sponsorships complete, legit.

NJAM14Titleist
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I sunk a chip shot with a Ping iron and didn't get this. I got an ace with a Ping iron while trying to gold master a course. Why won't this unlock?

rrapp00
04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
It has to be an Iron not a Wedge....I got this by putting my ball off the green, then pressing x button to switch to chip and make sure that when you chip it is an iron and not a wedge.

NJAM14Titleist
04-13-2011, 05:54 PM
It has to be an Iron not a Wedge....I got this by putting my ball off the green, then pressing x button to switch to chip and make sure that when you chip it is an iron and not a wedge.

I did chip in with an iron. It was a PING iron. I still didn't get it.

neil_lien
04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
It didn't give me a choice of selecting an iron when doing a custom shot slightly off the green. Had to be a certain distance out. Anyway, I sank using a SW and PW, but it was then ticked off when I used an actual iron (i.e. 9 iron). Probably obvious, but make sure you have those ping irons in the bad and you have confirmed ping as your sponsor.

Trash Man
04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
It didn't give me a choice of selecting an iron when doing a custom shot slightly off the green. Had to be a certain distance out. Anyway, I sank using a SW and PW, but it was then ticked off when I used an actual iron (i.e. 9 iron). Probably obvious, but make sure you have those ping irons in the bad and you have confirmed ping as your sponsor.

Press X to change the shot type and it allows you to pick a 9 iron, or any other club you want.

neil_lien
04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Press X to change the shot type and it allows you to pick a 9 iron, or any other club you want.
Didn't know that so will take your word for it, I just switched clubs using the back triggers.

Stewie Griffin2
04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Didn't know that so will take your word for it, I just switched clubs using the back triggers.

That's how you change clubs, and that works when you're far enough out to take a full shot. However, the game automatically selects a pitch shot when you're close to the green, but that only allows you to play a wedge. You have to hit the X button to switch to a chip shot in order to be able to play your irons.

billjones0302
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM

This challenge is starting to "tick" me off. I completed all other sponsors to level 4 (even bested the Nike hole-in-one challenge), now just the Ping sponsor remains and for the life of me I cannot sink a shot with a Ping iron. This is frustrating! I am going to give your suggestion a try, thanks for the idea Stewie.

NJAM14Titleist
04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
I finally got mine on Waialae.

Team Penguin
04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
I just holed out with an 6 iron for eagle with Ping as my active sponsor and ping irons equipped and it didn't unlock. So dumb.

edit: Just chipped it in with a nine iron, so finally got it.

billjones0302
04-16-2011, 03:08 AM
I just holed out with an 6 iron for eagle with Ping as my active sponsor and ping irons equipped and it didn't unlock. So dumb.

edit: Just chipped it in with a nine iron, so finally got it.

Finally got mine! I kept trying to hole out from a distance and it never unlocked for me either, so I took Stewie's advise. Drove the fairway with a tee shot on hole #18 at the Welsh Open (do not remember the course). Laid-up in front of the green with my second shot. Chipped my third shot from the fairway with a 7-iron into the cup. It unlocked. Thanks Stewie!

Aprosa
07-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Anyone knows what makes this challange a bit buggy? i did sink a shot from the fairway with a ping iron with ping set as sponsor, but it didn't count.. i just have to keep trying is the solution?