PDA

View Full Version : xbox data transfer?

youngy4130
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
right just bought a new xbox 360 s with kinect brought it home and totally forgot about the data transfer. :/

so I refuse to spend money on a transfer cable that i only use once

my first xbox is the 20gb old style one can I transfer my saves / dlc / licenses using a 4gb USB stick a bit at a time?

has anyone done this? is there anything I can and can't transfer this way?

I've already recovered my gamertag but every thing else is on my old hard drive

any help would be awesome.
thanks.

DoctorPolski
04-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Go online to transfer any console specific licenses here: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

And yes you can copy savegames / music / personal stuff via USB stick, I did this in fact.

You could copy over arcade games / DLC too or just download them again but if you're coming from a 20 GB hard drive it won't take long on a 4GB memory stick.

youngy4130
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
thanks I'll have to give this a go when I'm in from work.

Nozza XBA
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
If you were going to use an old transfer cable with the new 360 just be careful as some stuff may not transfer over or become corrupt.

Its just a warning though and may not happen but it can. They say its best to use the new one as the HDD is different in the 360 S.

Timos02
04-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Gamestop has a full refund policy on the cable if done within 7 days whether it is opened or not.

gamerguy69
04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
There was actually no need to do a Recover Gamertag. You could have just taken your Gamer Profile and moved it onto a 4GB flash drive.

Afterward, you are able to access your Game Saves that exist on your older 20GB HDD. You can move a few saves at a time and those that are actually able to fit onto a 4GB Kinect System.

Something that I discovered last week when I was doing a transfer (although I had a cable) is that you need to sign-in using your Profile in order to access and move game save files.

Good idea would be to keep your Profile on the 4GB flash drive while you are alternating between your old 20GB and the newer Kinect System lifting a few SAVE files at a time.

I use this method because the 120GB HDD that I bought did not have the Xbox1 partition (Original Xbox - backwards compatible) and I wanted to play some older titles that I had. There was also an Xbox ORIGINAL that I had purchased from Games on Demand and when I put it onto the bigger HDD it wasn't working. *sigh*

Really sucks but that is another story. I can now do an HDD swap in about 2 min. all that while my Gamer Profile exists on a 4GB that is attached to the 360.

When I initially started my transfer with the cable it showed all my "20GB" content was actually just 13GB and it took about 30 min.

Main point I'm trying to make is just keep your Gamer Profile on a flash drive and alternate depending on what game you want to play and it saves you the time of having to RECOVER GAMERTAG each time you change between consoles.

DoctorPolski
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Goodpoint about keeping his active on the USB stick but he never actually said he had a 4GB Xbox. He may have got the 250GB version and a Kinect at the same time.

In fact I assumed from the OP saying he was going to copy stuff 4GB 'at a time' from an old 20GB drive that the drive he was transfering to was the 250GB.

Which is it youngy4130 and how did it go in the end?

gamerguy69
04-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Goodpoint about keeping his active on the USB stick but he never actually said he had a 4GB Xbox. He may have got the 250GB version and a Kinect at the same time.

In fact I assumed from the OP saying he was going to copy stuff 4GB 'at a time' from an old 20GB drive that the drive he was transfering to was the 250GB.

Which is it youngy4130 and how did it go in the end?

Yeah I did sort of misunderstand that part. He mentioned moving it with a 4GB flash drive. Now I'm wondering if he did the Recover Gamertag because he doesn't have the flash drive yet.

Anyway, the Gamer Profile on the USB stick is what is going to allow him to alternate between systems. Move a few saves onto the USB stick and come back sign-in on the newer system. Copy them onto the NEW HDD.

Repeat until all of the files or at least the most important ones that you want to keep are on the new drive.

I have a friend who wants to borrow my transfer cable but it seems like it would be simpler if he went with the flash drive method as well. In the end you have a usable USB flash drive unlike the transfer cable that won't do anything really after you're finished.

Anadriel
04-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi guys, hope not doing this bad. This is my first post added to the fact that i'm spanish, so sorry about the fails.
I had have the Xbox with 20 gb too, and i bought the new Xbox with 250 gb and kinect included, as you.
I used the Transfer cable HDD, it's not bad at all, you can do all in one step, but i had one problem with mi saves at GH Metallica, because i began a new game in the new Xbox before transfering the dates from the old. I conserved the new game, not the old data...
On other side, a friend of mine also bought the New Xbox with 250 Gb. He did all the trasnfer with USB flash and he didn't have any problem. He told me it took no much time. And his older xbox had 60 Gb. So it's a really good option. Seems to be the best.

Don't forget about to change the licenses, it's almost the most important thing to do. Without it, you can't use your data. I had to do it directly with the SAT of microsoft because a month before the change i had to send my old xbox to Germany because the Circle of Death where they changed my licenses to the new xbox they send me back. But if it's not your case it seems to be really easy.
You can do this from www.xbox.com (http://www.xbox.com), not sure if it were in support.
Hope don't come late for the help. And really hope you can understand me xDD

Good Luck with all of this ;)