PDA

View Full Version : xbox bundle HD cable VS HDMI cable

InfamousVuk
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I've been using the original xbox cable (the one with the SD/HD switch) ever since I have a 360, and it's working perfect on full HD on my monitor....
Few of my friends told me to switch to an HDMI cable to even increase the image quality.

Now my question is... will there actually be any sort of a difference?

I'm quite positive there won't be anything noticeable... but decided to ask anyway just for the peace of my mind.

IVI4V3R1CK
04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
There can be a difference, but usually it can be small. An HDMI Cable is preferred because it does digital video/audio all through on port, versus the component cables (red/green/blue) and composite audio (red/white).

I personally use an HDMI cable because I have a PS2 and a Wii which use the Analog ports. Having two HDMI ports I can use the XBox 360 and my Blu-Ray player and still leave my Component/Composite connections open for quick swaps (like for my video camera). Plus condensing to one cable makes things less cluttered.

It then makes things easy when I take my XBox to a friend's house. I can just take the box, I have the SD/HD cables and a spare power brick.

Agent Aero
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I use the composite HD cable with the SD/HD switch on it aswell, i do have a HDMI cable and used it for a while but i didn't notice any difference. (I have the old 120GB Elite console if that matters).

Remember, don't give in to peer pressure:p

InfamousVuk
04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm mainly using it for 2 reasons.
1) my monitor only has one HDMI slot and that one is taken by the computer.

2) I use the audio through my PC's surround system.

So if I do give in the peer pressure, I will buy a HDMI to component cable.
Which in this case I know that the HDMI is just a compact version of the component cables.

StillTIPPIN187
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Not sure.. you should notice a difference.. but i never used the HD part of a standard xbox cable.. Only SD and once i got a HDMI i was like damn! ive been missing out on all of this??

Baylor05
04-05-2011, 04:25 PM
There can be a difference, but usually it can be small. An HDMI Cable is preferred because it does digital video/audio all through on port, versus the component cables (red/green/blue) and composite audio (red/white).

I personally use an HDMI cable because I have a PS2 and a Wii which use the Analog ports. Having two HDMI ports I can use the XBox 360 and my Blu-Ray player and still leave my Component/Composite connections open for quick swaps (like for my video camera). Plus condensing to one cable makes things less cluttered.

It then makes things easy when I take my XBox to a friend's house. I can just take the box, I have the SD/HD cables and a spare power brick.

He's right. Really mostly what an HDMI cable will do is create less clutter. HDMI supports both high-def video and sound. I personally use the HD/SD switch on my Xbox as well. I play sound through an A/V receiver, which doesn't support HDMI since it's six or seven years old. So, I have to use an optical audio cable, which the HD/SD Xbox cable supports, to get authentic Dolby Digital and DTS sound.

When I upgrade my receiver to a 3D/Blu-Ray compatible one, I will switch over to HDMI for the simple reason I want to elminate as many wires as possible.

JDMBO1
04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I settled for the HDMI cable because I got tired of playing which cable goes where with the SD/HD RBG RW cable. The quality differences aren't really that much far apart, still nonetheless it's a good alternative to the SD/HD cable. Good HDMI cables can be bought for cheap on Ebay so that just makes it all the more enticing. If I were to recommend SD/HD cable or HDMI, I'd say what ever catches your fancy. HDMI provide less time fiddling with wires, and SD/HD you do have to fiddle with wires. The active vs the nonactive is a better way of putting it

TacticalTodger
04-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't like the HDMI cable The SD/HD switch for me is better, I felt the HDMI is slightly pale and blurry close up (I'm rather close to my tv)

Lava Tonsil
04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm quite suprised, i found HDMI to be of significantly higher quality than component cables. Maybe it's just my set up, but it's like VHS to DVD for me - that much difference.

sak7395
04-05-2011, 05:28 PM
If you like recording gameplay stick with the composite HD cable but if you want better gameplay/audio go for HDMI. I sometimes stream/record so I stick with the composite cable.

Switching to HDMI is worth the experience your about to recieve

JAW LV
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm quite suprised, i found HDMI to be of significantly higher quality than component cables. Maybe it's just my set up, but it's like VHS to DVD for me - that much difference.

I'm in the same boat. I started out with the component cable but about a year later I switched to HDMI and my picture quality was so much better. I'm not a big tech person so I don't understand why... my only thought is it's because of the way my TV was manufactured :confused:

irJessica
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I've been using a HDMI cable for 3 months now when I came home I used my old SD/HD cable and I could very easily tell the difference even though I couldn't when I originally switched to my HDMI.

MachineZed
04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm mainly using it for 2 reasons.
1) my monitor only has one HDMI slot and that one is taken by the computer.

2) I use the audio through my PC's surround system.

So if I do give in the peer pressure, I will buy a HDMI to component cable.
Which in this case I know that the HDMI is just a compact version of the component cables.
Not to sure they make a HDMI to Component Cable. Actually I am pretty sure they do not. They may make a HDMI to Component Converter, but they are 2 different types of cables. HDMI is digital and Component is Analog, so you can't just send one type of signal and expect the other end to send the other type. Not to mention you may have some kind of signal degradation when you use converters, so I recommend just going with which ever cable you want.

Chaosx721
04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I prefer HDMI over component cable, but in your situation it doesn't really matter. Stick to what works for you, when you get a new TV and has more HDMI then go for it, other wise there's no huge loss.

Vanilla Coke Zero
04-06-2011, 04:35 AM
there was a difference for me; less jaggies and over all crisper image quality.

Pootcrum
04-06-2011, 05:06 AM
The real reason you would want to use HDMI over component is that since it is a digital signal being transmitted across HDMI, rather than the analog signal across component, it is not susceptible to interference or signal degradation (over a reasonable distance, ~15m I think). Personally, I don't feel there is an argument to use component over HDMI if both are readily available. HDMI is simply better.