PDA

View Full Version : Who is excited for HBO's Game of Thrones

Timos02
04-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I am super excited for this new show! The books were awesome and well written and the first 14 minutes that HBO posted are incredible.

Adamsy
04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
seen the trailers and it has peaked my interest i must say. Will be watching when it starts in the U.K on april 18th.

eynotie
04-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I'm excited. Love GRRM. Love HBO TV. I saw the first 15 minutes as well and was impressed. Everything looked to be on...the casting, acting, writing, atmosphere. It had nuance, if you know what I mean. Reminded me of how much I miss Deadwood and Rome.

exo-apollo
04-07-2011, 09:11 AM
It had nuance, if you know what I mean. Reminded me of how much I miss Deadwood and Rome.

Ah those two were such good shows, a terrible shame that they got cancelled. Especially Deadwood, left it on a bit of a cliffhanger really.

jakemason101
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Looks like it could be quite epic.

EMP
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I never heard of this but maybe I'll check it out, thanks for posting about it.

ShawnSig
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Is that Camelot show any good? I don't remember what channel it's on, HBO or Starz or some other channel. I autotuned and saw the guy from Shakespeare in Love and Darwin Awards then I left the room. Missed the whole episode. lol

exo-apollo
04-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Is that Camelot show any good? I don't remember what channel it's on, HBO or Starz or some other channel. I autotuned and saw the guy from Shakespeare in Love and Darwin Awards then I left the room. Missed the whole episode. lol

Camelot is alright but I am enjoying The Borgias a little bit more right now.

Glyndinn
04-10-2011, 04:56 AM
I can't wait for this to start! I won't watch the 15 minute preview, just because I want the whole thing to be a surprise.

I have a lot of faith in premium channel shows (quality wise) so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

akujin
04-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I can't wait for this to air in the UK it looks amazing and best of all it had sean bean init!!!. I'm just glad its on at 9pm on sky atlantic so it doesn't clash with Spartacus which is on at 10pm!! Who said mondays where the worst day of the week!

The Pants Party
04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I like how they somehow wrote Boromir from LOTR into the show.

...what, you mean he's supposed to be someone else? :p

(But seriously, looks great! Have it set to record as my wife surely won't watch it with me and will need to wait until she's asleep.)

kdrcraig
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm definitely gonna check this show out. HBO usually doesn't disappoint.

Jemocasa
04-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I can't wait for this show to finally air. I've been stoked ever since it was announced, and what really makes me think this is going to be good is that the author (George RR Martin) is 100% behind it. He thinks that what HBO has done is amazing.

X monkfish69 X
04-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, looking forward to this one. Can't wait !

MelangeAddict
04-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Heard about this for the first time today through Felicia Day's twitter.

Strider16
04-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Last thing I watched that was HBO was Boardwalk Empire and that was amazing!

This looked interesting in the trailer so I think I'll watch the first episode to see if it interests me. It did look good,I just hope it is.

exo-apollo
04-16-2011, 05:05 PM
So far the first reviews seem very positive! Can't wait to watch this.

Steed
04-18-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't know about you guys, but the first episode left me extremely satisfied.

exo-apollo
05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
What is everybody's thoughts on this show so far? I haven't read the books, so naturally I'm really engaged with the story and all its various twists. Gotta keep that HBO guide handy so I can remember who is who. I'm fine with the faces, I just always forget their names. But so far really enjoying. I wonder what the opinion of people who have read the books is of the series. I'd read the AV Club comments for the show but I'm afraid of reading spoilers.

The Pants Party
05-03-2011, 11:51 AM
For some reason I haven't read this series yet (shit, I just started the Drizzt saga - my "big name" fantasy is really lacking!), but the show has been great. A friend of mine doesn't like how "slow" it is, but the character development is something I find incredible. Can't wait to see that blond dude get messed up by the Dothraki (you know it's coming), as well as the boy to regain his memories so the incestuous queen can get hers as well. Very impressed so far.

BlackTitan666
05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
For some reason I haven't read this series yet (shit, I just started the Drizzt saga - my "big name" fantasy is really lacking!), but the show has been great. A friend of mine doesn't like how "slow" it is, but the character development is something I find incredible. Can't wait to see that blond dude get messed up by the Dothraki (you know it's coming), as well as the boy to regain his memories so the incestuous queen can get hers as well. Very impressed so far.Yeah your right its so but the character development is great. Is it just me are all the blond people on the so just assholes?

exo-apollo
05-04-2011, 01:41 AM
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS, but that is a given.

Yeah the character development is crucial for a show like this and they are nailing it so far. A big problem for shows with such a rich history and characters is that you are going to lose a lot of stuff (characters internal monologues) when you put it onto the screen, but the way that HBO is going about building it up is brilliant. So much that it is only three episodes in yet I cant tell exactly what Ned Stark and a few of the other mains are thinking (for example the look that crossed his face at the end of the third episode was excellent as he realized the implications of giving his daughter such training) in any given scene. Sure sometimes they throw in a couple of aids to help this process along (Daenerys sexual trainer been one such device (although she was mega hot so it doesn't really matter) and the dubbing of real sword sounds during the aforementioned Ned's daughter sword training). It reminds me of the Sopranos when it was in its later seasons, how the show can communicate the internal dialogues of the characters without being too heavy handed (the scene in which Ned notices the butchers boy slain atop the horse, briefly considers the consequences of what has occurred and then continues about his miserable business was effective without the writers shouting "FANTASY MEDIEVAL LIFE IS TOTALLY SHIT AND UNFAIR" at us).

And yes I also cannot wait to see every blonde character in this show get totally ganked.

eynotie
05-05-2011, 05:36 AM
I have read the books (they're fantastic) and I'm current with the show. I'm impressed. They're really getting the feel of the books down. It was a bit jarring at first as the show felt a little hurried compared to the books, but rewatching the episodes on-demand got rid of the feeling. I felt the same way when I first saw Lord of the Rings. The movies seemed rushed compared to the books at first and then settled after I stopped trying to compare everything. To put it another way, the show communicates the books very well, just using different techniques than are used with text.

I'd recommend for anyone on the fence about the show to stick with it, as it gets much more rich and rewarding. And, if you are already sold, get ready for a ride. The show has already been renewed for a second season per GRRM; and, if it goes for a third down the road, I will be ecstatic. A Storm of Swords was probably the best fantasy novel I've ever read.

kdrcraig
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm all caught up with this show now and I'm loving it. It does move a little slow but I still want to see the next episode as soon as the one I'm watching ends. The character development is great along with all the acting. Nice to know it already got renewed for a second season so they'll at least be able to go that far.

jung4ever
05-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Well, it's on now, I watched the first three episodes and thought they were great. I'm looking forward to more!

LP TaZ
05-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Great show, kind of all over the place right now and can get a little confusing at times but very well written, going to get exciting when the battles begin and the walkers from the other side of the wall attack.

SoppyKitten
05-19-2011, 03:16 AM
This is quite possibly the best show currently on television.
And the books...ah the books! All great authors have two R's in their name.

JonasAndersson
05-20-2011, 06:22 PM
my friend is watching it and says it's the best show ever! I've seen the trailer so far and thinks it looks awesome!

MallandroCRVG
05-25-2011, 02:09 AM
It seems to be an outstanding HBO production. I've seen the first 2 episodes and it's amazing.

Cyrex
05-25-2011, 03:49 AM
First two episodes are two of the weakest in my mind. The action picks up in 4 and gets huge in 5. I thought this show was amazing after the first 4 episodes and after this weeks episode its one of my favorites of all time.

Febo
06-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I never read the book, but if this show is anything to by then it must be pretty damn good. The ending of each episode just hooks me onto the next! Loving the character development and I love to hate the Lannisters!

exo-apollo
06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Ohhhh man last nights episode did not see that coming. Shit is ramping up.

The Pants Party
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Ohhhh man last nights episode did not see that coming. Shit is ramping up.

I was so waiting for him to start fucking shit up, or the little girl's fighting teacher to come out of nowhere (they never showed him die), or the eunuch to step up. SOMETHING! Wow. No one is safe.

And wtf is going on in that Horselord tent!? Epic show.

Bearded Bugs
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I was so waiting for him to start fucking shit up, or the little girl's fighting teacher to come out of nowhere (they never showed him die), or the eunuch to step up. SOMETHING! Wow. No one is safe.

I was hoping Arya to go crazy with Needle, or like you say for Syrio to save the day. But nope, he gets his fucking head chopped off.

That witch woman is dodgy, that's for sure.

I'm kinda glad that I haven't read the books, so nothing's been spoiled; the series so far has been nothing short of fantastic.

kdrcraig
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm kinda glad that I haven't read the books, so nothing's been spoiled; the series so far has been nothing short of fantastic.

Same here. I was actually planning on reading them as my next book series, but after the amazing finish to this week's episode I decided not to. That ending wouldn't have had the same effect if I knew it was coming. This show is so god damn good, that ending is one of the ballsiest things I've ever seen a TV show do.

The Pants Party
06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Same for me. I was the same way with Harry Potter. Saw the first couple movies and was about to read the books, but decided I'll just get a box set after the last movie and read them all in a line so I don't spoil the movies. I am on book four of the Drizzt saga anyway, so that'll keep me busy a while.

Dudwood Fudwood
06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I've been loving this show. Really enjoying watch the characters build. Very well paced too. Boardwalk empire ended then i get this. Its a good time to have Sky+!

exo-apollo
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM

I was hoping Arya to go crazy with Needle, or like you say for Syrio to save the day. But nope, he gets his fucking head chopped off.

This show is so god damn good, that ending is one of the ballsiest things I've ever seen a TV show do.

I know right? God damn that was a mighty ending. The way the sound started to go soft and I swear the screen started to get dim as well. It really turned my stomach over, brilliant stuff.

As for not reading the books, I'm on the fence about that right now. Martin has written I believe 4 books right now (with a 5th in July?) and has stated that he thinks books 3 and 4 should be split into two seasons for each. At the bare minimum we are looking at a lot of seasons haha spread out over who knows how long. So I might read the 1st book, just to cement what I know already from the first season and then see where I go from there.

Bearded Bugs
06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I know right? God damn that was a mighty ending. The way the sound started to go soft and I swear the screen started to get dim as well. It really turned my stomach over, brilliant stuff.

As for not reading the books, I'm on the fence about that right now. Martin has written I believe 4 books right now (with a 5th in July?) and has stated that he thinks books 3 and 4 should be split into two seasons for each. At the bare minimum we are looking at a lot of seasons haha spread out over who knows how long. So I might read the 1st book, just to cement what I know already from the first season and then see where I go from there.

One of my friends said there are seven books in the series? I guess she could've been including future ones too.

Is it worth someone starting a new proper GoT discussion thread?

H0p3sfalL
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
This and Boardwalk Empire are my fav HBO shows atm. But now that "someone"(will not give up spolier) was just killed off by that little dick of a king(reminds me of malfoy form HP), I wonder whats going to happen story wise. In my opinion that act will the peace to set up his down fall later on in the series. Not too mention what will happen with the White Walkers?

exo-apollo
06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
One of my friends said there are seven books in the series? I guess she could've been including future ones too.

Is it worth someone starting a new proper GoT discussion thread?

Yeah I believe there are four written, one slated for a July release and then a remaining two to be written after that. I think this latest book has taken five years to get written, so maybe the show will catch up hehe :)

Yeah a proper discussion board could be good, anyone stepping into here could see a spoiler I guess based off the thread title and it would be nice to talk with abandon. I like to think everyone is like me (complete media blackout until I've watched the latest episode) but it often isn't the case.

Bearded Bugs
06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah I believe there are four written, one slated for a July release and then a remaining two to be written after that. I think this latest book has taken five years to get written, so maybe the show will catch up hehe :)

Yeah a proper discussion board could be good, anyone stepping into here could see a spoiler I guess based off the thread title and it would be nice to talk with abandon. I like to think everyone is like me (complete media blackout until I've watched the latest episode) but it often isn't the case.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4296486#post4296486

There it is.