PDA

View Full Version : Are Afterglow controllers good?

EliteShadowMan
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm in need of a new controller and was wondering if the Afterglow controllers are worth getting. Why are they priced lower than regular controllers, and are they more prone to breaking for no reason?

Mr Bungle
04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
All I've heard is that they are pretty good. Only down-side I heard was that you get sweaty palms easy.

Chipsonfire
04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
This has been discussed in the past so you may want to search it. From what I've heard around the internets, they are decent controllers but not very good for FPS. They have too little sensitivity in the joystick until you reach a certain point, then too much and it can't be fixed by changing the in-game sensitivity settings. Again, this is just what I've heard so YMMV.

BL33DtheDREAM
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Afterglow controllers are really good. I own one personally and have yet to experience any flaws. I bought it solely for just my PC when i got tired of playing on the console, lol. But yeah, they're great controllers.

Glowin Smurff
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
i agree about the sensitivity issues mentioned by chip is on fire.

Joeflava
04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
They are very good

AlphaXGamerXDad
04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
It's the only controller I've had fall apart after a month or two. Not the same build quality but it is less expensive.

MagicMurderBag7
04-08-2011, 12:33 AM
The only problem is that you can't use a chat pad with it.

andami
04-08-2011, 01:19 AM
^You can't use a chat pad with any non-Microsoft controllers, at least the ones I've used anyway.

As for the OP, I really like my AG. It IS much more sensitive compared to my wireless controller, but that can be either a pro or con depending on your preferences. I've had mine for 4 months with no problems yet.

Snowwwwy
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Id say there okay. Why not go for them haha. Never used one tho. That might be why Im saying what Im saying.

Sampson
04-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I really like mine. At least try it and if you aren't satisfied then try to return it, but you definitely will be satisfied. Take my word for it :p

CavemanKlein
05-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Yeah, I really like mine. At least try it and if you aren't satisfied then try to return it, but you definitely will be satisfied. Take my word for it :p

Do you know if they have a warranty?

T00BSAWK
05-16-2011, 08:06 AM
I'd imagine there's really no difference. I've use one a couple of times and I wish I had one.

Paka
09-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Old thread, but figured I'd throw in my $.02 since I just picked one up last weekend. Best Buy had a decent price and figured it would be nice to have a wired controller. The thing looks cool as hell, I got a red one. Overall, the function is about as good, but the A button is squeaky and not as "loose" as the others (don't know how to describe it). It does feel cheaper in a way.

KomodoBEAST
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
no its a bad choice to buy one of them becase

1. they feel uncomfortable
2. they barely vibrate
3. the microphone is horrible
4. the joy sticks are very loose
5. the buttons jam easily

DONT DO IT MAN JUST SAVE UP FOR A REAL ONE:omg

TakahashiDemon
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Stick with the official one, don't be afraid to search round and see if anywhere has them on offer.. even go with the wired one if you're really desperate in needing a cheaper controller, I just in past experiences, not exactly 360 ones, but PS2 ones, I always found the unofficial ones faulty (analog would get stuck while playing) and very uncomfortable and I'll say the same goes with 360 controllers.

I do have 1 unofficial 360 controller, but it is an Arcade Pad, which is only suited for fighters, shoot em ups and 2D beat em ups, I'll say its the only good one I have used, but then again, it's not an actual controller.. OT: I do see unofficial ones priced at over 50.. I'm rather curious about those..

Wildmn34
01-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Personally, I think most 3rd party stuff is a crap shoot. It can be really good, but it also be really bad.

Yes, After Glow controllers are cheaper. But, just keep in mind the old adage: "You get what you pay for."

I would stick with MS issued stuff myself. But, an After Glow may work out perfect for you.

ChickinOnaChain
01-24-2012, 01:00 AM
I've never had any experience with them but the do look good. I usually stick with the standard old MS ones.

Motorexskygtr32
01-24-2012, 06:20 AM
I'd imagine there's really no difference. I've use one a couple of times and I wish I had one.

Yes, there is a difference between MS official controller and AG controller. I personally had one and do like it but the only thing I did not like was the AG's two analog sticks are a bit higher than Microsoft's analog sticks. When I used it for a long period of time, it caused my thumbs on AG controller's analog sticks a bit of sore and tired. I also had a trouble to use AG's analog stick because of very sensitive and much taller especially playing on any FPS games. So I took it back and got my refund and decided buy a MS official controller from now on.

To be warn, AG's analog sticks are a little higher than MS's analog sticks. So I recommend anyone who plan to buy a controller, go for Microsoft.

Mercury
01-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Meh. I'm not a fan. Somebody mentioned they aren't as good for first person shooters. This (IMO, and in my experience) is because the controller is actually millimeters smaller than the regular MS-issued. It's not very noticeable on action/adventure games, but shooters, especially if you've been playing them forever, and you are used to a certain feel, are total crap with non-MS controllers.

My case in point: I started with a 1.5 K/d on Black Ops (been a FPS player for like 12 years, always good as hell). I got an afterglow controller, and it dropped to about a 1.1 after 3 months. Switched back to a regular 360 controller, brought it up to 2.5 within another 3 months. Makes a world of a difference.

Edit: Oh, but don't get me wrong, the lighting is fucking epic. I'd say get one, just don't rely on it to be your only controller if you love FPS's