PDA

View Full Version : USB Sticks

XrayCrisis
04-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I have an arcade Xbox with no hard drive and I am trying to use a USB stick to save my profile on. I have a 2GB USB 2.0 stick, when I go in to the xbox settings to configure the memory stick to use with the xbox it says 'your device failed the data loss test' I have never had any problems with the memory stick and it have nothing on it at the time.

Does anyone know what this means or how to fix it?

Any help would be welcome.

TemporalWizard
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
That means the xbox didn't think your usb drive was "good enough."

As far as I know if the drive fails the test there is no way to fix it. Getting another drive would be the only solution.

JDMBO1
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Typically I think to fix this you have to reformat the USB on the PC and try it again

XrayCrisis
04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Do I need to format it to something special or should FAT32 be fine?

TemporalWizard
04-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Do I need to format it to something special or should FAT32 be fine?

Actually, FAT32 is the only format that will work.

XrayCrisis
04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok. Thank you for your help. I have reformated my memory stick and will retry it tomorrow.

gamerguy69
04-08-2011, 01:34 AM
After it is formatted by the 360 for use on the console there will only be just 1GB (or close to that) of space left. Hardly seems worth it.

Pootcrum
04-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Ok. Thank you for your help. I have reformated my memory stick and will retry it tomorrow.

Pretty sure Temporal Wizard is right in saying that if your box doesnt deem your stick worthy, it aint going to work out.

There are a few replies in your 'Tech Centre' version of this thread basically saying the same thing and that you need a new better stick.

Old Scratch
04-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Since you'll have tp buy a new stick anyway, I wouldn't go any smaller than 4gb. Formatting alone takes 1.3gb (or close) leaving a 2gb stick very little room for saves. Fry's Electronics has 16gb sticks on sale for $26 around here

XrayCrisis
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I have a 16GB stick that I got for 12.99 but I useit a lot and you can not set it so the xbox only take some of the space not all of it so I did not want to use it.

gamerguy69
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I have a 16GB stick that I got for 12.99 but I useit a lot and you can not set it so the xbox only take some of the space not all of it so I did not want to use it.

The Xbox does allow you to set a portion of a USB flash drive. You don't need to use it's entire capacity.

I had an 8GB stick that I was previously using on my computer prior to last Spring's update that allowed flash drives. I was able to configure only a portion probably about 3GB for Xbox use.

XrayCrisis
04-09-2011, 12:07 PM
The xbox is not connected to the internet and I got it seconed hand so I dont now when it was last updated if ever. If the xbox has not had that update could that be the problem?

Pootcrum
04-10-2011, 01:39 AM
The xbox is not connected to the internet and I got it seconed hand so I dont now when it was last updated if ever. If the xbox has not had that update could that be the problem?

Ummm what dashboard are you running then? You should be able to find the dashboard version number in Console Settings. Drop it off here.

According to Wiki the most recent version is 2.0.12625.0

EDIT: but hang on if you were able to do the data loss test surely that means you can do everything else aswell, I am pretty sure the USB update came all together.

DOUBLE EDIT: You need at least this version

April 6, 2010

Allows up to two USB flash drives or external hard drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more up to 16 GB each, 32GB combined.
Allows content transfer to another attached storage device. Content transfer does not copy installed games.
Restores to banned consoles the ability to install games to hard drive, which decreases load times and eliminates noise due to disc spin.

SOURCE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_system_software)

XrayCrisis
04-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I will look and see what system version it is running.